What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Fond of Rev myself ... there's a genuine warmth to it, and the Reverend Smallbone is appealingly 'normal'. Do love the moment from Series 1 where he's passing a building site in his full garb and his response to the piss-taking builders is to stop, remove his dog-collar, tell them to fuck off and then put it back on and continue on his way.

Absolutely. I quite liked the Christmas special, where the delightful Sylvia Syms has passed away and it all spirals downward. Quite a moving episode, more-so when Smallbone reacts to the ingrates singing boozily in the church.

That and I've liked Tom Hollander since seeing him in Cambridge Spies. Could've been a great Q or sinister businessman/Man from the Ministry type in Bond films.

Seems Rev has been bumped by some local programme; won't be on where I live until near midnight.

Bummer. It's 10pm where we are, interestingly sandwiched between something on the Plantengents and Newsnight.

I'll say this, it's off to a flyer. Seems to fortunately have continued in humour as it left off.

I have started to watch "Terra Nova"; not sure about this yet. It feels similar to Stargate Atlantis... while I am used to Game of Thrones now ;-)

Terra Nova started out just OK but got better as it went. The finale actually had an intriguing cliffhanging, shame it wasn't renewed so it will never be resolved.

Alcatraz was still way better, though.

I know. The concept should really be exactly my thing, but admittedly I actually fell asleep near the end of the pilot episodes.

Game Of Thrones feels similar to LOTR.

Do you think? I don't see it (besides the fact that both are Fantasy, of course, but surely, that's not what you meant).

The Thick Of It, recommended by the now hated and reviled deserted Guest2. (may his soul rot in hell for all damnation)

A hand held, testosterone driven fury of scripted and improvised brilliance. A Yes Minister but as done by an axe wielding a swearing psychopath.With Peter Capaldi in the center as the extremely foulmouthed and vile Malcolm Tucker, in charge of cleaning up the heaps of shit left by incompetent politicians and civil servants.

Everyone swears on the show, but he turns it into a fecking artform. (no one can use the F word as well as the Scottish)

Very realistic in that is features characters basically in jobs above their level of competence, being asked to do things they really aren't any good at. And then having to deal with the resulting chaos and confusion that erupts and quick fix the situations as well as possible. With Malcolm Tucker as the boss from hell who never...ever lets any mistake slide.

I fully believe that's what happens in politics, and I know that it happens in the corporate sector.

A maelstrom of satirical brilliance.

Fond of Rev myself ... there's a genuine warmth to it, and the Reverend Smallbone is appealingly 'normal'. Do love the moment from Series 1 where he's passing a building site in his full garb and his response to the piss-taking builders is to stop, remove his dog-collar, tell them to fuck off and then put it back on and continue on his way.

Same here. Been an avid follower since the first episode. Has the first episode of Series 3 hit Norn Iron yet? Caught it earlier this week.

Two of the Brett Sherlock Holmes feature length episodes. Master Blackmailer and then Sign of Four. Such a thrill to see Brett in action, the way he stands at the edge of the room listening or chasing down a villain. Sign of Four is particular of the two, being early in Brett's tenure he is able to show off much energy unlike later years where medication and illness took a toll (though he still retained some of his vigour). Sign of Four also something for some shots of London and a rather quaint-looking chase involving two old steam launches.

And a rather strange looking-eccentric looking Ronald Lacey as Sholto.

sign-gr.jpg

It has some measure of excitement but yes, nothing like it should and nothing like Sign of Four. It has their eerie desolation of the moors and whatnot. Markedly different of course to the Sherlock version in series 2.

After a seriously rubbish Walking Dead season finale I watched American Horror Story. If the pilot is anything to go by I think I may have just found my new favourite show. 5/5

How I Met Your Mother 9x21 Gary Blauman

It was kind of strange to spend almost an entire episode right at the end of the run of the show here for a bunch of throwaway nonsense about how one character actually changed the lives of the entire main cast in a way you never knew before (I mean Lily has a tattoo now, come on really). The episode was worth it, though, for 2 things. One was the flash-forward to Ted and The Mother's first date, which was really sweet and tied in nicely with The Mother's tragic story, not to mention the person Ted spent nine years becoming (he handled everything perfectly, and as he narrates wouldn't have done it the same way if he met her nine years ago).

And the other thing worth it in this episode was the really cool ending, where a single long shot that must have taken days to plan out, set up, and rehearse, showing us the ultimate fates of many of the most important recurring character's from the show's run, including the surprise return of many actors I was really surprised to see they were able to get back (namely Jennifer Morrison and Kal Penn). We also got to see doppleganger Lilly, Jeanette, Sandy Rivers, the bartender, and other's It was really really cool!

How I Met Your Mother 9x22 The End of the Aisle

Well, I wasn't expecting that when we finally caught up to the "some time down the road" flashforwards that started in teh Season 6 premiere, that the show would basically combine them all into a 2 second montage that must have left anyone who has only watched this season scratching their heads. Weird stuff.

The locket subplot finally receives it's conclusion in this episode as well. That was a subplot I never felt really worked right, and I still think that way after seeing how it all played out. All it did was create more "Ted still has feelings for Robin" nonsense. Hopefully that will not be brought up in the finale!

Really the only worthwhile things in this episode was getting to see the final slap (which was a huge letdown) and the ring bear, which didn't pay off as well as it should have (a side effect of dragging a single weekend out over 24 episodes).

~

So basically it is with much trepidation that I approach tonight's series finale. What will happen other than finally getting to see Ted meet The Mother? I hope that happens early in the hour and not right at the end. I want to see as much as possible of their dating history! I'm also fully prepared for the reveal that The Mother is dying of something and we'll only learn her name on her tombstone.

Anybody planning on watching it episode live tonight? I NEVER watch live TV, unless it's a sporting event or just flipping channels randomly for a few minutes before getting up to go to bed. But I feel invested enough in this 9-year story that I kinda want to see how it ends right away?

A few episodes of The Trip earlier (before Rev). The sequel to the former, The Trip to Italy, is due to start later this week. It seems that programme is not to everyone's taste, even people who generally like Steve Coogan's work, but for me it's one of the high points of comedy of the last few years, and I can't wait for the follow up.

Has the first episode of Series 3 hit Norn Iron yet?

It has (and now the second) but gets relegated to 11.50pm here (for those of us who prefer to watch it on television rather than online). It's often the way for things shown nationally in the BBC2 10pm slot; if they get moved to make way for something local, they have to wait at least until after Newsnight.

Not seen the Trip. I'll have to play catch-up.

You should indeed! Though I've said that to others with mixed results...

After a seriously rubbish Walking Dead season finale I watched American Horror Story. If the pilot is anything to go by I think I may have just found my new favourite show. 5/5

We watched the pilot too and I really liked it but Marcy didn't, so I haven't seen any further episodes. It's a very popular show, already been renewed for a fourth season.

Somehow they managed to make an even worse series finale than Dexter.

In both cases, the finale was so bad, it makes me want to never even watch the good years of the show ever again.

In both cases, I feel like I could write a multipage essay on how incredibly disappointing the finale was. I mean, they really screwed it all up big time, and made a bad final season be much much worse in retrospect. Just like Dexter.

This is the kind of really bad TV writing that pisses you off way way more than just some dumb show you catch on TV because you invested 8-9 years in these characters only to have the writers completely betray all the development they got one one abysmal final hour.

F---

Just read about it online. Sounded pretty good to me, but then again I stopped watching after the first season :P

I don't think I ever finished Entourage but I heard it had a similar "series-killing finale."

Wtf was that? The Himym finale, was that a joke?

Seems like a really big parody of the show....what were the writers thinking?!

Pretty amazing, right? In one hour -- or, arguably and even more spectacularly, five minutes -- it managed to completely backtrack and undo almost all of the storylines, themes, emotional sincerity, and character development that it had built over its entire 9 year run. It's like the writers/creators fundamentally misunderstood their own show.

I'm actually glad that I spent the weekend watching a handful of my favorite episodes on Netflix, because I don't think I'll be able to look at this series quite the same way again. As Jason said, I may not ever go back to it depending on how much of the show this finale retroactively crapped on.

Joey loves it so I know I don't need to bother checking it out. ;)

Knowing it's from the guys who gave us Nip/Tuck, I'm sure it's fair at best. Then there's Joey's love for the show, average Metacritic scores, ... A good pilot doesn't guarantee a great show. Come back when you've seen the entire thing, guest2. I think your drooling might be premature.

Didn't check any of that beforehand and didn't have any preconceptions apart from the extremely strong word of mouth I'd come into contact with. You seem to be ruled by meta trends and some such but I prefer to go in blind, you know that. Had I Googled it prior I may never had bothered with it, which is a blessing. A quick search now though on wiki and IMDB tells me response is extremely strong, if that shit is important to you. Either way I'd rather you didn't jump on the bandwagon at some point because it feels like a gem discovery which I don't want you to share in.

A good pilot doesn't guarantee a great show. Come back when you've seen the entire thing, guest2.

Twin Peaks had loads of rubbish episodes. What's your point?

We watched the pilot too and I really liked it but Marcy didn't, so I haven't seen any further episodes. It's a very popular show, already been renewed for a fourth season.

Who are you talking to?

Didn't check any of that beforehand and didn't have any preconceptions apart from the extremely strong word of mouth I'd come into contact with. You seem to be ruled by meta trends and some such but I prefer to go in blind, you know that. Had I Googled it prior I may never had bothered with it, which is a blessing. A quick search now though on wiki and IMDB tells me response is extremely strong, if that shit is important to you. Either way I'd rather you didn't jump on the bandwagon at some point because it feels like a gem discovery which I don't want you to share in.

A good pilot doesn't guarantee a great show. Come back when you've seen the entire thing, guest2.

Great shows don't exists of "loads of rubbish episodes". My point is more than clear. You can't judge a series after one episode. BTW, IMDb is not a good reference when it comes to shows (it's mostly the fans themselves that rate the shows). Joey is.

So, finished watching Terra Nova. It managed to leave a better impression than I originally had, but overall it was nothing extraordinary, and I'm not hugely disappointed that it got dicontinued. It could have been so much more imo. For example by being based on the initial discovery and exploration of the past environment. Now the surroundings felt entirely exchangable... could have been aliens on a different planet, and it wouldn't have made a difference.

I also got the soundtrack by Tyler. Pleasant, but nothing special either.

Great shows don't exists of "loads of rubbish episodes". My point is more than clear. You can't judge a series after one episode. BTW, IMDb is not a good reference when it comes to shows (it's mostly the fans themselves that rate the shows). Joey is.

I don't use any critical data as a reference these days, at all, IMDB included. I simply no longer trust anyone's view but my own where entertainment and art is concerned. Used to, but I've wised up to it. Good word of mouth from people I know first hand has the best chance of persuading me to try something nowadays.

Btw, you seem to be under the impression I'm trying to convince you to give American Horror Story a try. I'm absolutely not. For some reason you seem to be intent on convincing me it is a bad show. Why? How is that important here? Why are you wasting your time talking about something you have no interest in? You also seem to be under the impression that I'm in search of greatness with this thing. Nah, that isn't one of my own life missions with tv shows. I'm just happy to be entertained and impressed. The undying quest for "greatness" is your preoccupation, not mine.

You also seem to be under the impression that I'm in search of greatness with this thing. Nah, that isn't one of my own life missions with tv shows. I'm just happy to be entertained and impressed. The undying quest for "greatness" is your preoccupation, not mine.

Thank you.

True, I'm constantly on the lookout for greatness. Is that wrong of me?

And was I under the impression that guest2 thought the world of American Horror Show after he used hyperbole like "5/5", "my new favorite show" and "Twin Peaks" (perhaps the biggest game changer in TV history)? You bet I was!

Alex

True, I'm constantly on the lookout for greatness. Is that wrong of me?

Yes, when you are by all accounts completely ruled by such a disposition. Blighted by it, even.

And was I under the impression that guest2 thought the world of American Horror Show after he used hyperbole like "5/5", "my new favorite show" and "Twin Peaks" (perhaps the biggest game changer in TV history)? You bet I was!

Nah, your sensational wording has introduced the hyperbole here. It was actually just my own reaction to something, my own satisfied feeling toward it after viewing. You really shouldn't let it concern you. That, and you have completely misinterpreted my later Twin Peaks comparison, obviously because you have no clue what I was getting at there in regards to my recollections of the Lynch series. I mean, how could possibly know what I meant by it?

So anyway, I also saw the first episode of True Detective. Intriguing and polished is all I can really say about it it for now. Definitely very high end.