What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

So the series finale of How I Met Your Mother really transforms the show into How I Met Your STEP-mother? Glad I never invested nine years into it.

Rich

After a seriously rubbish Walking Dead season finale I watched American Horror Story. If the pilot is anything to go by I think I may have just found my new favourite show. 5/5

We watched the pilot too and I really liked it but Marcy didn't, so I haven't seen any further episodes. It's a very popular show, already been renewed for a fourth season.

Who are you talking to?

Be nice to our guest.

Community 5x09 VCR Maintenance and Educational Publishing
Vince Gilligan as the host of a 1993 VCR board game :lol: OK, that was inspired. And an actual reference to Troy being gone, the weight of that, plus Abed dating Rachel. It’s like this one episode tended to most of my complaints after last week’s episode.
Community 5x10 Advanced Advanced Dungeons & Dragons
And we’re back to another stupid episode. Having the characters sit around and play D&D for an entire episode is something that could easily be done well on Community, but this didn’t work for me. I don’t care about developing Hickey and his son’s relationship, shen so many other characters that have been around from the beginning still have character development to get. At least the names Abed came up with for everyone’s characters was funny.

Saturday Night Live 39x16 Louis CK / Sam Smith

*Yawn*, another waste of time. Louis CK is indeed funny, and his monologue was a decent stand-up routine. And he was effective in many sketches. But they were all kind of half-heartedly written, the new Weekend Update guy still stinks, and the musical guest was a complete bore.

After a seriously rubbish Walking Dead season finale I watched American Horror Story. If the pilot is anything to go by I think I may have just found my new favourite show. 5/5

Great first season. Second season is sort of all over the place but still good. Haven't seen the third season yet (waiting for Netflix to get the full thing)

Somehow they managed to make an even worse series finale than Dexter.

I never watched HIMYM, but making a finale worse than Dexter is virtually impossible. Dexter could very well be the worse finale to a popular show ever shat onto its audience.

I never watched HIMYM, but making a finale worse than Dexter is virtually impossible. Dexter could very well be the worse finale to a popular show ever shat onto its audience.

I know what you are saying, and I completely agreed with you. I feel the exact same way about the Dexter finale. However, the HIMYM finale managed to out-do it. It was even more of a betrayal than the Dexter finale. It's that bad.

I know what you are saying, and I completely agreed with you. I feel the exact same way about the Dexter finale. However, the HIMYM finale managed to out-do it. It was even more of a betrayal than the Dexter finale. It's that bad.

Speaking of disappointing finales, I felt betrayed by Battlestar Galactica's ,last episode. I understood why they did it and as a finale to the pilot concept, it would have been fine. But over the course of the show they developed so many ideas, some of them much more interesting than the main thread, that the ending seemed completely out of touch with the series and what made it interesting in the first place.

Karol

Is it so bad that, for someone like me who has never seen the show, it's not worth bothering with?

Right now I'd say so, yea. I have the same feeling that I had after the Dexter finale - that the finale was so bad, I wouldn't even recommend the show to anyone, knowing now how it will all end.

I mean, you ask me sometime during Season 4 of Dexter if you should watch Dexter, I'd say "hell yea, it's one of the best shows on tv right now!". Ask me during seasons 5-8, and I'd say "Well the first 4 seasons were great, but it's gone really downhill since. Hopefully the finale will fix that". Ask me after the finale, and it's "No, don't bother. As good as the early seasons are, it ends in such an unsatisfying way that it's not even worth your time watching it at all. The finale will piss you off, guaranteed!"

HIMYM is roughly the same, except the seasons were more consistent. In the end it's just a comedy, but they sprinkled in enough serialized story lines throughout it's run that you get very invested in the character's lives. The entire finale season, up until the finale, then solidifies everything you know about the characters, it puts al lthe characters in places that reflect how they've grown, what they've been writing towards, and where you would expect them to go. it all made sense.

So then all the finale had to do was finally show us Ted meeting the mother, their initial dating, their wedding, the birth of their kids, them moving into the house he bought, all that stuff. Instead, 5 minutes into the finale, the writers un-do and change EVERYTHING that had built up, and kept going from there making things worse and worse. then end up summing up 17 years of the characters lives in about half an hour in a completely unsatisfying way, and betray everything the previous seasons of the show, especially the final season, had been all about.

It was truly and utterly really, really bad.

True, I'm constantly on the lookout for greatness. Is that wrong of me?

Yes, when you are by all accounts completely ruled by such a disposition. Blighted by it, even.

So you are suggesting that I should lower my standards? Hmm, I don't think so. Silly advice, actually. I can't betray my own taste, now can I? Really, I wouldn't know why looking for greatness is wrong, nor did you adequately put in words why it is wrong. Whether I am "blighted" by it is a whole other matter and one I disagree with. I can easily enjoy shows like Dexter, Nip/Tuck, Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead, ...

Jason, is that you?

Alex

HIMYM is roughly the same, except the seasons were more consistent. In the end it's just a comedy, but they sprinkled in enough serialized story lines throughout it's run that you get very invested in the character's lives. The entire finale season, up until the finale, then solidifies everything you know about the characters, it puts al lthe characters in places that reflect how they've grown, what they've been writing towards, and where you would expect them to go. it all made sense.

So then all the finale had to do was finally show us Ted meeting the mother, their initial dating, their wedding, the birth of their kids, them moving into the house he bought, all that stuff. Instead, 5 minutes into the finale, the writers un-do and change EVERYTHING that had built up, and kept going from there making things worse and worse. then end up summing up 17 years of the characters lives in about half an hour in a completely unsatisfying way, and betray everything the previous seasons of the show, especially the final season, had been all about.

So....you not gonna bother with the spin-off?

Is it so bad that, for someone like me who has never seen the show, it's not worth bothering with?

Right now I'd say so, yea. I have the same feeling that I had after the Dexter finale - that the finale was so bad, I wouldn't even recommend the show to anyone, knowing now how it will all end.

I mean, you ask me sometime during Season 4 of Dexter if you should watch Dexter, I'd say "hell yea, it's one of the best shows on tv right now!". Ask me during seasons 5-8, and I'd say "Well the first 4 seasons were great, but it's gone really downhill since. Hopefully the finale will fix that". Ask me after the finale, and it's "No, don't bother. As good as the early seasons are, it ends in such an unsatisfying way that it's not even worth your time watching it at all. The finale will piss you off, guaranteed!"

Pretty much. Even the parts most people seemed to like, such as Barney meeting the "true love of his life" struck me as totally false and contrived, good acting notwithstanding. I've seen a lot of condescending and wrong-headed comments that those who didn't like the finale wanted a Disney-fied, fairy tale ending that wasn't "true to life," but setting aside the idea that anything about the finale was based in reality, it's completely ignoring the fact that this was a 180 degree contradiction in tone and character. There were aspects of the finale that I theoretically may have liked given completely different execution, but an hour spent on irony, cynicism, and emotional regression was simply not an appropriate outcome given 9 years of hammering optimism, growth, and change into these characters.

It's a startlingly out of touch finale and hugely disappointing to see them throw all sincerity out the window and reveal their show to be a half-baked, shaggy dog story. The show had its share of bait-and-switch moments over the years, but it's crazy to think that the entire show, which had always appeared to wear its heart on its sleeve, was nothing more than a big, high-concept gag.

The worst part, though, is that it seems to have been completely unintended. What a mess.

Jason, is that you?

Yea. There's a ton of TV shows I don't like.

It's not even a spinoff, really. It's a completely new show with completely different characters, with a similar name (How I Met Your Dad).

So you are suggesting that I should lower my standards?

*sigh* NO, come down from up there ya daft histrionic div. Are you really that dense?

You are blighted by your blinkered self belief, Alex. Very much so. You handicap yourself, you're of extremely limited use to me as a source of critique as a result. There's a whole world of greatness out there ready to be discovered; except you choose to search for it through the wrong end of the telescope.

You're also completely full of shit, because we all know that you really measure "greatness" not by its broad and objectively positive reception and reverence, but rather by the far simpler metric of "I love it so it is officially great" AKA massive ego stroking self promotion Cremers seal of approval... which EVERYONE here spots a mile off and plays merrily along with. Trust me: nobody here (apart from Richard) is fooled by your posturing nonsense and it has even been discussed behind the scenes, for giggles. You're the official JWFan hipster, even you know that. The guy who wields "the critics" like a proverbial weapon when it suits him but dismisses them and their "lack of vision" at the drop of a hat after he "saw quality which they originally did not". Fucking yawn.

Sorry publicist, but if it makes you feel any better you're still a decent enough hipster in my eyes.

It's not even a spinoff, really. It's a completely new show with completely different characters, with a similar name (How I Met Your Dad).

So it's like That '80s Show? ;)

Eric Foreman would have had a heart attack if he learned Luke and Leia were siblings. He rode that train of ignorance for seven years.

Wait a minute...

Eric Foreman would have had a heart attack if he learned Luke and Leia were siblings. He rode that train of ignorance for seven years.

Wait a minute...

True. That 70's Show ran for 8 seasons, but only covered about 3 1/2 years in their lives (May 1976 through Dec 31, 1979). IIRC, there were more than 4 Thanksgiving and/or Christmas episodes shown along the way, though....

Each season of That '70s Show is supposed to cover 6 months. So 8 seasons = 4 years.

Wrong. Season 1 began in May 1976, but was in 1977 halfway through.

Seasons 2 and 3 finished out 1977.

Seasons 4, 5, and 6 covered 1978

And seasons 7 and 8 covered 1979

But they messed up things a bunch of times, including Eric turning 17 in 1976 (in the second episode of the series) and then then turning 18 in 1978 (in season 6)

The gang saw the original movie for the first time in 1x20 A New Hope. Since that's first season, it'd be sometime between May and November 1976, Koray time, well before the original movie debuted.

Dude...

No, it doesn't matter. It's just fun to analyze. That's one of my all time favorite sitcoms.

I never watched the last season, actually. I felt the show jumped the shark when Eric left Donna at the altar but they remained friends, and I think they even had sex again.

The gang saw the original movie for the first time in 1x20 A New Hope. Since that's first season, it'd be sometime between May and November 1976, Koray time, well before the original movie debuted. Dude... No, it doesn't matter. It's just fun to analyze. That's one of my all time favorite sitcoms.

Exactly. Season 1 started in May 1976, and by the end of the season they were already up to May 1977. Can't blame them for wanting to get their Star Wars episode in as early as possible, since the shows rating were low for a while and they never knew they were going to get renewed. Once the show became popular, they started really slowing down the progress of time so they would never end up in 1980 during the show's run.

Of course they played pretty fast and loose with all that, such as having holiday episodes every season, etc.

I liked the show well enough, but boy it did run out of steam in the end didnt it?

Yup, big time. Like pretty much every show on TV, they shouldn't have gone past 7 seasons.

I said "pretty much" not "every"

I've never seen a Law and Order or CSI show in my entire life

I said "pretty much" not "every"

I've never seen a Law and Order or CSI show in my entire life

And the wifey?

I don't think my fiance's ever watched CSI, but she watches Law and Order: UK and Law and Order: SVU. though, she usually is researching wedding venues or writing Yelp reviews while watching those types of shows, not devoting her full attention to them or anything.

Like Galactica 1980, we pretend that 80s show never happened.

What about the Starbuck episode?

Sort of. The best of the bunch but it was too little too late for 1980. But then the original series was plagued by problems negating a decent second season (would it have happened).

I actually didn't care for the original Law & Order too much until close to the end. I found that the Lupo/Bernard partnership, along with Cutter as the DA, were a pretty good team. I liked those characters, and they seemed to breath a bit of new life back into the old procedural.

Homicide: Life on the Streets was much better.

I never watched the last season, actually. I felt the show jumped the shark when Eric left Donna at the altar but they remained friends, and I think they even had sex again.

Yeah that was around the same time I stopped watching too. The first 3 seasons are gold though.