What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I watched all 8 seasons and don't remember any particular events that stand out as shark jumps, I just recall a gradual decline as the years went on until it was barely worth watching any more.

It really was dumb that instead of just canceling they show when Eric and Kelso wanted to leave after 7 seasons, they went ahead and made an 8th without them. The show just didn't work without it's freaking main character and breakout star.

Like pretty much every show on TV, they shouldn't have gone past 7 seasons.

I think even 4-5 seasons is pushing it for most shows.

I agree with this for the most part, when it comes to quote/unquote serious television. Something that has a definable storytelling thread. Some of the network shows (e.g. NCIS) can still work with a 24 episode format and a seemingly unending story arch. Yes, not every episode is great, but I don't need Breaking Bad each and every time. Sometimes it's nice to just kill an hour with a reliable show.

That's certainly true for reality TV. Dancing with the Stars has run out of stars, they should change the name. Why can't Survivor show the homeless in Detroit or Mogadishu, and see how they cope?

the new, 47th series of Have I Got News For You.

And you know, I'd try quoting stuff here abouts but for some reason my quote function isn't working. I imagine my microsoft update to IE11 has not helped. :rolleyes:

First episode of The Trip to Italy. Every bit as good as its predecessor so far.

The Michael Caine impressions remain stellar. I should be so lucky. I tend to impersonate the lesser known parts of Italian Job, telling Arthur to shut it or: "Nuts to your watches!"

---

Brooklyn Nine-Nine and the final, classic, Stewart Lee Comedy Vehicle.

I'm about to start watching Star Trek (the original series) for the first time. Should I start with The Cage or with The Man Trap (which was aired first)?

The Cage was a pilot with mostly different characters. (Apart from Spock). I would start with The Man Trap, since thats the start of the series proper.

Footage of The Cage was used later in season 1 for the two parter The Menagerie.

First episode of The Trip to Italy. Every bit as good as its predecessor so far.

The Michael Caine impressions remain stellar.

Brydon is best at them, though.

Latest Rev., the last scene was at once hilarious and embarassing (for Smallbone at any rate). Got to love the Archdeacon.

And followed this with the Royal Command Performance edition of The Good Life.

New episodes of GoT, Portlandia, Modern Family, Cosmos, and the whole first season of True Detective which was phenomenal. It's a good time for television.

...the final, classic, Stewart Lee Comedy Vehicle.

I didn't have the chance to see that on Saturday; looking forward to watching it soon.

It was good, whether or not the Beeb spend as long doing another series is debatable and yet, more than likely.

Just watched the last episode. I thought it was brilliant.

Plus, I'm pretty sure I've had all of those beers from Sainsbury's.

Oh me too. Deffo half of the brands at any rate.

---

Watched firstly Ian Hislop's Olden Days, quite typical Hislop fare but then the final episode of W1A. Lord Reith spun in his grave so much my sofa moved.

First season of House of Cards. Took me a while to become accustomed to the deliberately (I presume) artificial quality of its dialogue, which at first seemed very wooden and false, but overall I liked the series and will probably watch it again in short order. All the way through, I could only think of that Congressman running for the Pennsylvania Governorship as the sex offender from Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Also just got caught up with the third episode of the new Rev..

I know; it's about time!

By the way, I've just noticed that lots of posts now have the phrase "Who? likes this" printed in the bottom corner. They give the impression of forum software being arsy. But with scrambled punctuation.

BBC4 have restarted Parks & Recreation from the beginning (I guess as they try to figure out how to get Season 4 up) and having seen Seasons 2 & 3 in recent months the change between 1 and the rest is remarkable. The main joy is to be found in Swanson.

Fans of Rev look out, see that there is a "Rev: Diaries" book as 'written' by Rev. Smallbone out in Waterstones.

Network or cable?

Hannibal is a network TV show that's better than the best of current cable offerings. NBC clearly has no idea what to do with it and has buried it on Friday nights as a spot-filler. If we're lucky, it will make it to a third season.

Hannibal. NBC clearly has no idea what to do with it and has buried it on Friday nights as a spot-filler.

Which is strange if only because they also have "Rosemary's Baby" coming out in the fall. Another very dark, adult, show.