What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

What did you make of Breaking Bad, Harms? I never got round to asking you before.

I haven't seen enough of it to offer any sort of definitive verdict, but I'm not crazy about what I have seen.

That would be my Jeremy Kyle Show.

What did you make of Breaking Bad, Harms? I never got round to asking you before.

I haven't seen enough of it to offer any sort of definitive verdict, but I'm not crazy about what I have seen.

Season 1 is quality but Season 2 onwards is the juicy centre.

Network or cable?

Hannibal is a network TV show ...

Then it's sh!t.

You're dead wrong about that, but I don't fault you for your assumption.

Hannibal was an experiment by NBC, an attempt to create a thirteen-episode series that follows the cable model. It succeeded on those terms. It's developed a devoted, niche audience and has delivered ratings that are commensurate with that of a cable network television series. But it's proven too idiosyncratic to catch on and deliver the ratings expected of a network TV show (though the lackluster marketing, which continually tries to pitch it as something like The Following, misses the mark; Hannibal doesn't fit in that mold). If it had debuted on AMC or Showtime or even Netflix, this show would be thriving.

There are rumors that, if NBC cancels it, Amazon is waiting in the wings to snatch it up for its streaming service (Amazon Prime already has exclusive streaming rights to Hannibal). I hope so. No other television series has ever been so consistently impressive on a formal level. To cut it down in its prime would be a tragic mistake.

Meet Alex Cremers, the forum's resident Kubrick-worshipping cyborg.

Well, I like Kubrick a lot, too.

Television that is truly great and groundbreaking would not generally garner a large following, which is why AMC, Netflix, FX, etc are starting put out quality programing, since they can push out 13 episode seasons and survive with a few million viewers. I'm usually suspicious of any show that is overly popular since it would essentially, by design, be targeted toward a generic base (lowest common denominator).

Network stations usually can't afford to create niche shows (look at what happened to Fringe).

Great to see a familiar face.

I've finished the first season of Hannibal, but haven't gotten around to the second season yet. Currently waiting in my DVR. I have a three day weekend of sorts coming up so I might just binge watch it then.

Great to see a familiar face.

Happy to be here.

I've finished the first season of Hannibal, but haven't gotten around to the second season yet. Currently waiting in my DVR. I have a three day weekend of sorts coming up so I might just binge watch it then.

Oh, that'll be quite a ride.

I'm usually suspicious of any show that is overly popular since it would essentially, by design, be targeted toward a generic base (lowest common denominator).

That's a pretty hipsterish stance.

But I'm not wrong. Part of the top 20 shows watched in the United Stated last year included 2 different nights of American Idol, 2 different nights of The Voice, 2 different nights of Dancing with the Stars, assorted generic procedurals (Persons of Interest, Criminal Minds, NCIS regular and LA, Elementary,etc) and wide ranging sitcoms (Modern Family, The Big Bang Theory, Two and a Half Men). Plus other shit like Duck Dynasty. Out of all of those shows, the only one that I actually watch is NCIS, and that's just so I can turn my mind off for an hour and go with the flow. It's not something I would truly say I'm invested in. How many of those shows would you consider "great" or groundbreaking?

I'm not taking a holier than thou attitude, I just don't watch a lot of TV. When I do, I try to make it count.

Finally cracked into my From the Earth to the Moon boxset for the first episode. Highs and lows, from the first American in space to the assassination of Kennedy and the deaths of See and Bassett. Musically, stirring in places.

Forgot how many familiar faces are in it -Bryan Cranston, Nick Searcy, Steve Zahn, Al Franken, Stephen Root ("Tell that sonofabitch to get back in the ship now") etc.

Funny, no matter how many times I see the opening titles there's this little spark. "Not because it is easy, but because it is hard."

Rodenbach Grand Cru.

Edit: And too much of it apparently. I thought I was in the "What are you drinking tonight?" thread...

To get on topic, the last TV show I watched (excluding a scene from Game of Thrones) was tonight's episode of the new series of Only Connect, which serves to ward off withdrawal symptoms now that the latest University Challenge has concluded. (No, I can't answer the actual questions in either of them.)

I've been reviewing Star Trek: Voyager. I basically disliked the show since it originally aired, but I would usually watch it since it was still Star Trek and for a time it was the only show left on the air. Ironic that a series I basically tolerated throughout its run now reminds me of happier times. As far as I remember, I loved the opening credits with Goldsmith's theme and money shots of the ship sailing through the cosmos. I also had a crush on Kes and I remember being very annoyed when they traded her for that Jessica Rabbit Borg broad. Then I just remember the Borg constantly being used and ruined, Janeway becoming increasingly horrible and questioning how the ship still looked good after the events of every episode.

I actually like many of the characters, at least in the beginning. There's, I guess, a spunk to these people that I admit you wouldn't find in Next Generation's characters much of the time. This was a notable change in Star Trek's TV series' clearly established in this era of DS9 and Voyager. They are less stolid, more emotional, flaws aplenty and overall there's more humor. Prime examples early on are the Doctor, Tom Paris (I remember being confused by this guy since he had played a similar character in a memorable episode of TNG), Torres and occasionally the Captain.

Prime Factors is a good episode from the first season. This is one where the Voyager encounters a Risa-like planet with advanced transporter technology that could send them a huge distance across the galaxy and bring them closer to home. There's all kinds of drama as the Prime Directive is reversed, Janeway attempts to bargain with the magistrate for the technology and a civilian offers the technology to the crew under the counter. The storyline is kind of ludicrous when you consider this sort of technology existing on a planet that seems to have no defenses and a population that are basically obsessed with pleasuring themselves and bringing in outsiders (instantly exposing them to this technology??), and there's a somewhat laughable scene where the gizmo conveniently fits into a slot across from Voyager's warp core. There's a plot twist I didn't see coming and the conclusion is pretty great. I'm not sure if Janeway and the crew were totally incompetent here, if I should still like these people after the events of the episode or if the Captain should be holding back tears when she scolds her officers. That said, I was entertained.

I've had Prime since January (went on a shopping spree, did it for the free 2 day shipping initially). I've never seen The Wire or The Sopranos so It'll be an interesting next few months. If Amazon can keep making interesting deals like this then I'll probably keep it when my subscription comes up for renewal next year.

I had Prime while I was a grad student, but even though my college email still works, I don't care to game the system for free Prime. Since they won't have Game of Thrones, it's kinda pointless because I don't give two shits about HBO's other shows. I would only want Prime for the shows that Netflix yanked, but their price increase will restore those, right? Right? Right?

I also have Prime, and the exclusion of GOT stings. (Surely HBO could've included the first two seasons?) I really want to catch up on Seasons 2 and 3, not just a few key episodes.

HBO signs exclusive deal with Amazon Prime.

Guess I don't have to worry about buying The Sopranos, Deadwood, or The Wire!

This is a pretty significant actually. Sky will be pissed off and Netflix will be concerned. Or does the deal only include the old stuff? Will Game of Thrones be on there?

Wow, so you'll be able to start GoT when everyone else is enjoying season seven. Good luck living in that bubble until then.

Game of Thrones isn't included in the deal.

And you know which "more recent shows" will be or will not be made available after three years because... Why? You've either been to the future or work for either HBO or Amazon. Which is it?

• – All seasons of revered classics such as The Sopranos, The Wire, Deadwood, Rome and Six Feet Under, and of recent favorites such as Eastbound & Down, Enlightened and Flight of the Conchords. Update: Oz too.
  • – Epic miniseries, including Angels in America, Band of Brothers, John Adams, The Pacific and Parade’s End

• – Select seasons of current series such as Boardwalk Empire, Treme and True Blood
  • – Hit original movies like Game Change, Too Big To Fail and You Don’t Know Jack
  • – Pedigreed documentaries including the Autopsy and Iceman series, Ghosts of Abu Ghraib and When the Levees Broke
  • – Hilarious original comedy specials from Lewis Black, Ellen DeGeneres, Louis CK and Bill Maher
  • – The multi-year deal will bring additional seasons of the current series named above, along with early seasons of other series like Girls, The Newsroom and Veep to Prime members over the life of the deal.

Wow, so you'll be able to start GoT when everyone else is enjoying season seven. Good luck living in that bubble until then.

The point is that a suscription fee for Amazon Prime is much less/more fruiful than that of HBO. I don't watch airing TV so I don't care about Game Of Thrones.

First four episodes of True Detective. Talk about slow burn. This thing takes its time like an Oscar Pistorius trial cross-examiner, because it is thorough... really, really thorough. And I think it's going to deliver come the end of its 8 hour, supremely well written, acted and directed run. You know that rare feeling when you can just tell?

I didn't expect to find another American show of the quality of Breaking Bad, Mad Men and The Sopranos so soon, if at all. Damn man, those Yankee tv writers... UNTOUCHABLE.

q634IHg.jpg

Hit & Miss

It certainly is a high-concept for a UK TV series (it did air here in the U.S. on DirecTV's Audience Network), and for six episodes, it has its ebb and flow to it. It certainly doesn't gloss over anything, and the gritty vibe ported over from "Shameless" makes a nice contrast with the otherwise stellar photography and production values. I give credit for Chloe Sevigny for diving head-first into the lead role of Mia, maintaining a flawless Irish accent while convincingly embodying a pre-op transgender woman. (Although there are weird and off-the-cuff scenes that don't make much sense to me.) Jonas Armstrong gives sensitivity and conflict to Ben, Mia's earnest working-class boyfriend, while the rest of the supporting cast ranges from great to solid.

But after episode 6, that's the end of the series. There's a lot of plot threads left unresolved at the end, ones usually saved for a second season, but there isn't. It's a pity, I really liked where it was going.

Haven't seen True Detective yet, but I'm hesitant to put in the effort since the ending was widely regarded as something of a letdown.

I wouldn't say that. Plenty of people, including myself, liked the ending. But there were others that didn't. A lot of it came down to what the individual viewer wanted the show to amount to; either something supernatural or not supernatural.

Newsroom Season 2: It is some odd kind of drama comfort food wrapped in a seemingly topical and hip subject matter. And everything, even catastrophes have a happy ending. Awww I really enjoy this show.

Haven't seen True Detective yet, but I'm hesitant to put in the effort since the ending was widely regarded as something of a letdown.

Many said the same about The Sopranos, which I think is the best ending ever

Many said the same about The Sopranos, which I think is the best ending ever

Speaking of which I should start watching Sopranos from the beginning. I have never seen it all the way through.