What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Watched "The After" pilot, one of the new Amazon tv series. Pretty bad. I couldn't believe it was written by Chris Carter. You should have heard some of the dialogue. The acting was bad enough, but the dialogue was atrocious. How can a man, who was capable of writing for Mulder and Scully the way he did, write such horrific dialogue. Characters where caricatures, set pieces were terrible, their actions were nonsensical, and holy shit the dialogue....

House Of Cards 2x04 Chapter 17

Claire gets interviewed, Frank gets trapped, Lucas gets slapped, Remy returns, and Jackie proves she can not be Frank and still get the job done. Overall a pretty powerful episode, I was riveted to the TV when Claire was discussing her abortions and rape on live television. You have to wonder how many of her lies will be found out by season’s end. And Gavin IS working for the FBI - Lucas’s storyline is finally becoming a little more interesting. Looks like Frank, or Stamper, wants Lucas publicly arrested for cyber crimes, rather than just snuffed out like Zoe. Interesting.

Has anyone even bothered to watch the BBC original by any chance?

Just to bang the drum for the old Ian Richardson-version of HOUSE OF CARDS loudly once more i encourage at least all the europeans among us to watch the old version (3 seasons á 6 episodes or something along those lines). Watch Richardson's breaking of the fourth wall below, which is (to me) much more entertaining in its Shakespearean viciousness than Spacey's more offhand throwaways - though Spacey's performance is totally fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylu3x72WHTs

Believe me, when Richardson gets rid of the girl it's a very spooky scene - he's outmenacing Spacey there. Maybe it's exactly the combi of nonchalant wit with utter ruthlessness that makes his a more ravishing performance than Spacey's who's more one-note.

Finished season one of Breaking Bad last week and am now two episodes into season 2. Oh boy does this hold up to multiple viewings (and rewinds... It's like Weathertop all over again).

Without a doubt Walt and Jesse are the best adventure team up since Connery and Ford, it's just magic to watch.

And wow - the kid who gets his remote controlled car squished by Marie is the same kid from the Titanium music video!

David Milch should stop trying to have HBO air his shows. They canceled Deadwood on him before he was done, only gave John From Cincinatti one season, only gave Luck one season, and never even let his cop drama show film a pilot. Now they've passed on another show he developed. Try Showtime or AMC, Milchy!

http://www.avclub.com/article/hbo-passes-david-milchs-money-201827

It was canceled after the entire first season had been shot and aired, and after they had originally renewed it for season 2.

I think HBO just used the fact that some horses died while shooting season 1 to reneg on their renewal. It's not like they had started fliming season 2 yet, so it's not like horses were in danger again.

2 Broke Girls 3x17 The Married Man Sleepover

Just weird. Not liking Max and Deek being a happy couple, it just doens't work. I'm sure he won't be on the show forever, so I dunno how the writers will end their relationship, especially now that they've made it through the "he's rich" thing. Probably something stupid. They also need to right the french cook guy off the show, and give Caroline a real love interesting.

Saturday Night Live 39x14 Jim Parsons / Beck

Horrible, awful, terrible. I'm sure Jim Parsons is great on Big Bang Theory, but he stunk here (lots of staring at cue cards plus all the characters he played were Sheldon variants anyway), and none of the cast did much to save the day. The new Weekend Update host was stiff and boring. You need more charisma to run that desk! Overall - just awful.

95% of SNL is skippable anyways. We throw it on while folding laundry, looking up recipes, or stuff like that. It's not something you give full attention to

foldervv_zpsfeeb0b3f.jpg

Justified?! Starring Bullock from Deadwood?! Superhigh scores from Meta and Rotten?! WTF?

Is it for the HBO/AMC crowd or is it more like NCIS? Anybody watches this show?

Alex

Claire is completely up to date with it and is hooked. But be warned: she also loves Bones, and I think it's episodic cases (with an ongoing overarching story, too).

The standalone episodic nature of it put me off, but that might be my loss.

This weekend we started a new show - True Detective, which airs on HBO

true-detective-poster-16x9-1.jpg

It's about two cops in Louisiana, played by Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey, who are investigating a bizarre, ritualistic murder in 1995. In additional to the 1995 storyline, we also see the characters in 2012, as they have now moved on to other careers but are being interviewed about the 1995 case. In the pilot episode, we learn a lot about their characters, both their back stories that make them who they are in 1995, but also a little bit about how their lives diverged in the 17 years in between the two time periods.

it's clear from just one episode that this is another winner. It's well written, well acted, and well shot. All 8 episodes of the first season were written by Nic Pizzolatto and directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga. The pilot leaves you just wanting more, I thought it was great from start to finish.

The good news too is that it was pitched as an anthology series, with each season focusing on unrelated detectives and cases, so this first season will tell a complete story with a real ending, no dragging out. Can't wait to see the next episode!

You need to get that potentially awesome avatar to loop back and forth seamlessly. I'd have done it for you a few years ago, but I've forgotten how to use Photoshop now.

Claire is completely up to date with it and is hooked. But be warned: she also loves Bones, and I think it's episodic cases (with an ongoing overarching story, too).

The standalone episodic nature of it put me off, but that might be my loss.

Bones? Then I can't rely on her taste, Quint. I want someone who can differentiate between usual and renaissance TV. ;)

That would be me. My gf is a weird contradiction in that she's extremely fussy about what she'll watch but will also get hooked on stuff i consider to be utter shite. Hawaii Five-0, Castle, CSI, she loves that stuff.

But thankfully we enjoy Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead together.

Fuck no. She isn't OCD for starters. Jesus.

And when has our mod ever been extremely fussy about what he'll watch? Claire wouldn't be caught dead watching fuckin' New Girl hahaha!

This weekend we started a new show - True Detective, which airs on HBO

true-detective-poster-16x9-1.jpg

It's about two cops in Louisiana, played by Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey, who are investigating a bizarre, ritualistic murder in 1995. In additional to the 1995 storyline, we also see the characters in 2012, as they have now moved on to other careers but are being interviewed about the 1995 case. In the pilot episode, we learn a lot about their characters, both their back stories that make them who they are in 1995, but also a little bit about how their lives diverged in the 17 years in between the two time periods.

it's clear from just one episode that this is another winner. It's well written, well acted, and well shot. All 8 episodes of the first season were written by Nic Pizzolatto and directed by Cary Joji Fukunaga. The pilot leaves you just wanting more, I thought it was great from start to finish.

The good news too is that it was pitched as an anthology series, with each season focusing on unrelated detectives and cases, so this first season will tell a complete story with a real ending, no dragging out. Can't wait to see the next episode!

Holy moly! I have to see this! The Harrelconaughey twins are in it!

The first one is funny as hell (mostly), the second one comparable to the british SKINS, just with college beginners. I dig both which means i don't hesitate to press the 'watch next episode' button.

I don't think you guys understand my viewing habits. All those comedies - 2 Broke Girls, New Girl, Mindy Project, etc, etc - are quick, simple little shows we throw on while eating dinner, or while waiting for friends to arrive, or in bed before going to sleep. Basically, Marcy has a stressful job, and likes to unwind after work with some broad comedy, and those fit the bill for her. And I enjoy watching them with her.

The comedies I personally like that I think are the real quality comedies out there - those are more detailed and nuanced. Curb Your Enthusiasm, Arrested Development, The IT Crowd, Coupling, Scrubs, Better Off Ted, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, and Sons and Daughters, plus the good years of 30 Rock, The Office, and South Park. Maybe a couple of others.

On the drama side of things, I actually watch very little. There are the ones we kinda let pile up and throw on while folding laundry or doing stuff on the computer like True Blood, Fringe, Once Upon A Time - those are just more time passers.

The actual, quality dramas I watch and give my full attention, and are better than most movies made today - Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, Sherlock, Boardwalk Empire, House of Cards, Battlestar Galactica, Dollhouse, True Detective, and anything by Bryan Fuller (Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies, Hannibal). Those are the actual, quality shows I most enjoy.

But I have no problem mixing some fluff in with the quality, thought-provoking shows. Sometimes it's nice to turn your brain off and just laugh, ya know?

Right, but you don't come in here and talk about every episode and I do, which is what got me into trouble.

Really I am just using TV recaps as an excuse to flex my writing muscles, because I want to be a better writer. I do them for me, not anyone else.

There are few quality shows worth discussing each week and talking about what happened and what might happen next. Really only Game of Thrones and Sherlock come to mind, plus Lost and Breaking Bad in the past.

I doubt that is all they watch, though. it's just all they tell us they watch.

Well, Community is hit and miss for me, honestly. At it's high it's as good as the best comedies on TV, at it's lows it's really nothing spectacular. It has a great cast for sure, and is capable of amazing episodes, but also has long runs of forgettable episodes.

This current 5th season is halfway through, and I'm just not feeling it. I guess it's not the same without Chevy and Donald.