What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I agree. The 5th season hasn't quite channelled the spirit of the thing and the 4th season was just lame. But the first 3 seasons is up there with the funniest stuff on television, with the perfect balance of emotional character drama.

It started out really poor, I completely agree. In fact, the first 5-6 episodes were nothing to write home about. But then episode 6 happened, and I was hooked. And then it just got better from there. The season finale was great, and then there was a bonus episode only on the DVD that Fox didn't air that really, REALLY kicked ass. Then Season 2 was just fantastic from start to finish.

And Whedon knew he wasn't getting renewed again, so he completed his entire story in the second season. it's really great, a good sci-fi story. Well worth slogging through those first 5 so-so episodes, for sure.

Alan Tudyk and Summer Glau show up on the show eventually, and Amy Acker and Miracle Laurie get expanded roles. Good stuff, I plan on watching it through again sometime (not a huge investment, two 13-episode seasons).

I literally watch select American shows, BBC News 24, the odd bit of Eastenders as a result of it being the soap that's on BBC1 immediately after the kids have gone to bed and we need to do a big sigh of relief and chat a little between ourselves before I'll turn the playstation on or Claire will watch one of her shows on the iPad. She's always in bed by ten so we don't watch much else together at the moment.

Oh and I like Big Bang Theory but haven't seen it for ages because of repeats. And I try to catch Top Gear, but that's rare. I did see Jesse Pinkman on it last week though!

And that's it!

I'm sure once we have kids we will be watching far less television than we do now.

Plugging into Bergerac's second series and today featuring Norman Wisdom. Considering he's playing a safe cracker probably not the intention to have this smile on my face. Norm seemed at one point on the verge of breaking into some sort of routine at one point but hell with it, good to see the legend in action all the same.

I doubt that is all they watch, though. it's just all they tell us they watch.

I am continuously baffled how few things i actually manage to watch compared with my golden years in high school. If i get around 1 or 2 hours of tv every second or third day it's much and that means either a series or a movie.

New Girl 3x17 Sister II

Eh. They still can't figure out what to do with Winston, eh?

Modern Family 5x15 The Feud

Not a huge fan of the Gil Thorpe character. Why is he getting his own spinoff?

How I Met Your Mother 9x19 Vesuvius

Well, that was depressing. So the mother is dead in the future, and that's why Ted is telling his kids about her? Damn.

How I Met Your Mother 9x19 Vesuvius

Well, that was depressing. So the mother is dead in the future, and that's why Ted is telling his kids about her? Damn.

Wow. I didn't catch that at all. I thought they were referring to Ted's mom or something....

That is one dark turn!

The Walking Dead. I watched this series during its original air but stopped at the mid-season 2 break. It lost me. I was sorta pissed that nothing much happened only to be kicked in the balls. So I bailed on it.

Then, I caught the first episode of the 4th season, and have watched it ever since. Of course, I had a year and a half gap and really missed a lot of material. I wasn't sure what happened to certain characters (I never read any online stuff either), didn't know the new ones obviously, and some characters I didn't even remember (Beth).

So, now I've gone back via Netflix and watched the entire thing from start until now. I enjoyed the second season much more this time around, and the second half did improve. The third season is terrific. Makes me sort of regret not sticking with it.

Wow. I didn't catch that at all. I thought they were referring to Ted's mom or something....

That is one dark turn!

That's what I thought at first too, but the line was something like "who doesn't attend their own daughter's wedding", and Ted is not a daughter, he's a son. Unless it's referring to Ted's sister, or Robin being the one dying, but I doubt it.

Basically, the entire 2024 conversation with Ted and The Mother had a kind of sad air about it, they were both kinda moisty eyed the whole time. Then there's the mother attending her daughter's wedding line, the "you can only live forward, not in your stories" line, plus the line about how when things get too serious sometimes it's good to just enjoy time with your friends, or whatever it was.

Seems clear to me she is diagnosed with something terminal in 2024, and that's why they were at Farhampton to get away. Now, maybe she recovers and is still alive in 2030...BUT! The creators have said they filmed a scene for the final episode with the actors who play their kids during the second season (having no idea when the show would end and also before they aged too much). Now, what kind of scene could they film without needing the Mother in it? Maybe one where Ted takes the kids to their mother's grave. If she dies in 2024/2025, it would make sense they don't remember her well and would be interested in hearing about her (and rolling their eyes as he tells them about everything but The Mother for so long).

It wouldn't surprise me if we don't learn The Mother's name until we see it on her gravestone.

Ending one of the most popular comedy series of all time at a gravestone. That's pretty dark.

It all makes sense though. I look forward to seeing how it all plays out.

Probably way more. Saul had enough presence to merit a spinoff.

Has everyone forgotten?

joey_s2.jpg

Ah, the LeBlancs of this world. They'll never learn.

Karol

Jason, you mentioned True Detective a few days ago. Have you watched any more yet? We're thinking of doing a marathon now that the first season or story or however they're classifying it has finished.

We watched the second episode and it was fantastic. I plan on writing a little more about it later today.

Almost finished the 36 episodes of Deadwood. Then it's either the last season of Breaking Bad or the third season of Game Of Thrones ....

deadwood38_zps03e4e577.jpg

Brian Cox as Jack Langrishe, another delightful Deadwood S3 character.

Hearst_zpsf1112d11.jpg

Gerald McRaney as George Hearst, a very scary Deadwood S3 character.

Alex

Parks and Recreation 6x14 Anniversaries

The first post-Ann and Chris episode. Was really nice to see them replaced in the opening credits with Gerry/Larry and Donna, they definitely deserved it. Predictable A story with the old married couple Leslie finds to try to prove the Pawnee/Eagleton merger was a good thing not going as planned. Decent B story with April and Donna learning something, but the best bits came at the end - the kids coming up with the Unity Concert idea, and of course Leslie’s Anniversary present to Ben being the Iron Throne from Game of Thrones. I cannot see in what reality a government employee could afford that, but the scene was great. I think there’s a deleted scene online with more to that scene I gotta check out. Ben and Jerry (woah, just picked up on that) were hilarious this week doing all the things he had picked out for Leslie). Love that he had everything photographed, and scrapbooked it!

The Neighbors 2x16 Oscar Party

Some funny moments this week, but overall the show seems to be running out of steam. I don’t know what happened, because they were really on fire for a long stretch. Hopefully they end strong since I doubt they are getting renewed.

Girls 3x09 Flo

Ugh, an all-Hannah episode (well, with some Adam too). No chance this was going to be one of my favorites when Shoshanna, and Marnie don’t appear at all (not even Ray). Only the scenes with Hannah and her cousin were funny.

Why 3 weeks?

I've got this thing about staying a few episodes behind just in case there's a major cliffhanger at some point and I can't wait another seven days to see what happens next!

2 Broke Girls 3x18 And The Near Death Experience

God I hope this is the end of the french chef guy storyline! Talk about dragging out and out. No sign of Deek this week and it was actually nice! When he first showed up he was a great addition to the cast, especially because of Apartment 23 nostalgia. But they completely changed her character around and none of it really worked. I do wonder how they will end things with Deek and Max, and if it will be this season or next.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine 1x19 Tactical Village

The Jake/Amy romance was not handled well, in fact it was extremely predictable. I’d rather Jake be given a love interest outside the precinct. Boyle seems to be truly over Rosa and Rosa doesn’t seem to be TOO jealous (despite the sonic blast), which is kinda refreshing. Best story was Holt and Gina playing Cwazy Cupcakes, lots of comedy there. Surprised to see Hitchcock and Scully get separate stories!

Saturday Night Live 39x15 Lena Dunham / The National

Eh, another boring episode with not much funny. Lena at least showed a LITTLE range, in maybe one or two skits she wasn’t just a slight variant of Hannah. New Weekend Update guy was even worse than his first week. Good to see Armisen return again, and Jon Hamm. Still a total dud overall.

Black Adder season 3: Some of the best writing and jokes in the entire series thanks to the brilliant main cast that has such a great chemistry. Atkinson has perfected his sarcastic character to its peak here and Hugh Laurie offers his classic daft glassy eyed performance as Prince Regent.

I simply love Laurie in the role as a complete blithering idiot. He's better then Tim McInnery from the first 2 series.

The fourth one is possibly even better then this one.

Yes the 3rd and 4th season compete head to head in writing and characters. Laurie is definitely spot on here, kind of Bertie Wooster-ish but even dumber.

Atkinson's performance is still as sharp as ever, the delivery, the timing, the jokes and reactions all in great sync.

House of Cards 2x05 Chapter 18

Wow, the shocking opening with 3 previously un-seen characters having asphyxiation sex made me think I was watching an HBO or Showtime show for a second! Oddly that character point never paid off in any way in the rest of the episode, so I’m sure it’s something that will pay off in a later episode.

I enjoyed all the civil war enactment stuff this week - those guys really get into their gigs, eh? The Feng situation is a interesting new wrinkle in the ongoing China negotiations, especially that great moment with the Walker/Tusk/Underwood 3-way call. So Lucas gets arrested by the FBI for cyber-fraud. Hopefully that’s the end of that story. Unless his arrest is what brings Janine back into the fold?

Not liking too much yet where the Claire rape storyline is going, as she goes deeper down the rabbit hole of lies. It wasn’t clear to me where this new character came from who visited her abortion doctor’s wife - how the heck did he even know to go there? Does he really just want a job working for Claire? I am thinking there must be way more to this guy (and it’s probably not good).

Just to let you sci-fi buffs know ... there's a new docu series coming from BBC America and BBC 2 starring Rutger Hauer, Edward James Olmos, Williams Shatner, ...

The Real History Of Science Fiction

http://scifimafia.com/2014/03/fillion-gaiman-tennant-and-more-scheduled-for-the-real-history-of-science-fiction/

Real-History-of-Science-Fiction_zpsd03bc

Cheers!

Alex

Watched the first episode of True Detective last night. Need to see more before making any judgement. Good performances and nice cinematic look make it interesting, though.

Karol

Just watched the first episode of Treme, a show I didn't know even existed and it's right up my alley! It's about a group of musicans trying to make a livin' in a post-Katrina New Orleans. The characters are a lot of fun and quite diverse in personalities, but what takes the cake is of course the music. I was surprised at how much music I was familiar with -Skokiaan, Closer Walk with Thee, Louie Prima's Bonasera among others- but I adore jazz, specially New Orleans and dixieland, and man, let me tell ya... These guys are the coolest cats I've ever seen. They're losers, sure, but they're the coolest loosers of the world. They're in the worst situation possible, but still blowin' those horns.

I'm a trumpet player myself, although still have a lot to learn, but these guys make me wanna get better. I'll be watching the following episodes, hungry for more.

Yup, I've seen the first two seasons. It's good stuff, in a way much better than many more popular shows. Grown-up and intelligent television that isn't even interested in "entertaining". I need to catch up with the last two seasons.

Karol

Just watched the first episode of Jericho. Not bad. A couple of scenes that didn't work at all (the mayoral candidate using the chaos to his political benefit seemed completely out of place, and the scene on the bus), but overall very good. At least for the time-being I'll keep going with it.

New Girl 3x18 Sister III

*yawn* Glad the sister storyline is finally over, it didn’t really work out that well. And the stuff with Nick and Jessica not being able to share the same bedroom even though they’ve been dating for months made no sense at all. And again - why is CeCe so cool with just hanging out with Schmidt all the time? Show is getting pretty dumb.

Modern Family 5x16 Spring-A-Ding-Fling

Luke and that girl shoving dirt on each other was quite odd. Phil’s realtor speech was the best part, as was Hayley’s roast afterward. But it shows once again the writers have no idea what to do with her character, every single episode this season something else identifies her. Mitchell’s storyline at his new job (how many freaking new jobs has he had over the course of the show, btw?) was completely predictable, but Lily’s story at least wasn’t (and was pretty cute).

Community 5x08 App Development and Condiments
Sorry Community lovers, really just not feeling this season at all. This meowmeowbeanz society seemed like a pale imitation of the paint ball and similar eps of the past. Even the floor is lava episode from this season was way better than this. The show really seems to have no direction this season - there is no overarcing story whatsoever. All the stuff in the first 2 eps about Jeff being a teacher, the gang returning to school because their lives didn’t turn out the way they wanted, etc has all been sidelined for standalone episode that frankly have mostly been boring.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine 1x20 Fancy Brudgom

Good episode. Terry can lift cars! The Rosa/Holt storyline was the weakest part, but the diet stuff was good as was Jake and Boyle’s best man day. You know what has been missing from the show lately though? Them actually solving cases. I really like it when they do that!

The Neighbors 2x17 Balle Balle

I think The Neighbors just jumped the shark. What the bloody hell was this crap?

Girls 3x10 Role-Play

LOL! Possibly the funniest episode of the show ever? Countless laugh out loud moments. Glad to see all the characters (except Ray, where’s Ray?) back too. Man Hannah looked utterly ridiculous in her lingerie getup thingy! Glad they seem to be getting rid of that Jasper guy.

How I Met Your Mother 9x20 Daisy

Clever episode that shows some foreshadowing has been taking place all season that no one picked up on. But it’s really annoying that the season’s best running joke (“Thank you Linus”) has been ruined (Lily was never drunk the whole time, what the hell?). And we get closure to the Lilly/Marshall stay in NY and Marshall is a Judge vs go to Italy for a year for Lilly’s job plotline…. it’s nice they bring her dad along to Italy. But some aspects made no sense, like what was the point of Lily stuffing the pregnancy test in the plant, if she still had the giant box to get rid off? Really it was all just done to have a silly reason for their future child, plus for Ted to do his Mosby boys bit again.

Really this was another treading water ep, we’re what, 3-4 episodes now since Ted heard The Mother play La Vie En Rose and they still haven’t met, and we still haven’t caught up to the “A little ways down the road” flashforwards that began at the start of Season 6 (six!!). And there’s only 4 episodes left!

True Detective - episodes 2 and 3.

Hate to say this, but I'm rather underwhelmed. It's all well acted and produced... but I don't feel it. I was struggling with getting through those episodes. Might be a good time to just give up on it.

Karol