What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

After reactivating Netflix a couple of weeks ago we finally picked up where we left off with Arrested Development. Nearly finished the first season now and bloody hell it's laugh out loud funny a lot. Love the quirky humor and there's sight gags aplenty, it's like Curb You Enthusiasm meets Police Squad, which is pretty much ideal for me.

Yea, great comedy! It keeps getting better and better too. Well, up through the Charlie Theron arc at least.

3 seasons ran on Fox from 2003-2006. They canceled it due to declining ratings (it was perpetually a critical darling).

In 2013, Netflix revived it with an all new season 4, but the magic was gone, and it's not the same as the original 3 seasons. Still plenty to love in the new episodes, though. I think there is going to be a fifth season on Netflix as well, but I don't know when (it's hard to get 9 main cast members together at the same time)

:up: Yea, it has aged well. Looking forward to watching it all through again someday (Already watched it all the way through twice - the original seasons I mean. Still haven't finished S4.)

Arrested Development is hilarious! Really enjoyed that show, but they really should have stuck with the 3 seasons. The 4th one just wasn't the same, and it was kind of sad to watch.

In 2013, Netflix revived it with an all new season 4, but the magic was gone, and it's not the same as the original 3 seasons

The main problem was that the episodes were way too interlocked and the cast was never really together. AD works best when they play off of each other. It was still a decent season though.

I would.

Like its been said, its still a decent season, but its not the same kind of humour you enjoyed in the past seasons. Not to mention I just didn't like the directions of some of the storylines. So yeah, I'd recommend just sticking to the first 3, rather than witness its "downfall".

Should I stop after 3?

Only you can make that choice, padawan.

It's not as good, but it doesn't make you hate the originals afterwards like say the final seasons of Dexter make you hate the whole show, or the not-as-good Matrix sequels make you want to not even watch the original again, or stuff like that.

When I watch Season 4 again someday, I want to do it via a fan's chronological cut, rather than the "aired" order.

There were way too many repeated scenes due to the format of the scripting, but it may be worth a look. If you're eager for more, that is.

The first movie where Matthew showed promise was Lincoln Lawyer, a small movie that only a few people have seen, but he was surprisingly good in it.

Lol wasn't this #1 at the box office for a couple weeks? Such a hipster!

Yeah Heroes was great!

I couldn't get past episode 2.

Felt like a really dumb version of Watchmen in its fragmented narrative. Love how Alan Moore himself ridiculed the show.

Karol

Yeah Heroes was great!

Felt like a really dumb version of Watchmen in its fragmented narrative. Love how Alan Moore himself ridiculed the show.

Karol

Doesn't he ridicule just about everything? You know, Alan Moore, the rebel? It's cool to ridicule?

Heroes is more like X-Men without suits.

Yeah Heroes was great!

Karol

Doesn't he ridicule just about everything? You know, Alan Moore, the rebel? It's cool to ridicule?

No, I think he's just very concious of how all those corporations work and wants nothing to do with those people. A man of true wit and dry sense of humour. Really laid back, too.

He's a big fan of The Wire, though.

Karol

Ahh well then. Sad news. Netflix, pick this show up!

The Black Mirror S1 Ep 1 - The National Anthem

It's a shame the concept behind the episode was spoiled here earlier. Having said that, wasn't sure what Jason was talking about, I thought this episode was a brilliant satire and quite amusing, as dark as it is in tone. Is the rest of the show as good?

My mistake then :P

I recall a lot of people talking about it at the time.

Sure ...

BTW, I wasn't really serious. Lincoln Lawyer might have been a major hit, but when I saw it on TV, I had never heard of the movie before. That is was the talk of town sorta surprises me. 83% on RT? Wow! That's seems like a bit much. Come to think of it, I don't like this movie at all ... :lol:

I don't get the grief over Community being cancelled. If this was after season three, I'd understand. But the show has hardly been at the top of its game for the past two seasons.

I agree. But season 4 was the show taken out of Hartmon's hands and given to writers who tried too hard to get into the spirit of the thing (and ultimately failed). When Hartmon came back with season 5, I don't think he was ever given the proper circumstances to write a season of the show at the top of its game (only 12 episodes, with half the cast gone, and a lot of the storylines already kind of messed up in the last season).

I feel like if they give a full proper season into his hands again, they might produce something top form again. Either way, it'd be nice to give them a chance, and hopefully Danny Glover would have returned at some point in the future.

More catching up....

Brooklyn 99 1x21 Unsolvable

The cold open with Hoyt's hula-hooping class reveal is one of the funniest bits they've done :lol: Also very funny stuff this week with the secret bathroom, and Scully and Hitchcock actually doing some detective work and finding it :lol: The dental emergency series of lies Amy goes was gold too. And the main story line with Jake solving an 8 year old case was good - I've mentioned in the past the show needs to show them doing more actual detective work. Overall, a definite A+ episode!

Brooklyn 99 1x22 Charges and Specs

In the opening scene with Jake drunk at the bar, my fiance totally called that he was faking it :) Overall a good season finale episode, with Jake getting a longer than usual storyline with lots of twists and turns, and everybody else having to come together to help him out. The Boyle and Vivian story comes to and end in not the most satisfying of ways, but since it was never THAT compelling to begin with it's probably best to finish it off and start fresh with something new next season. The FBI ending was cool, with the fake quitting of the force being pretty funny. Hopefully the FBI / undercover story will play out for several episodes of Season 2 and not just be done in one.

Brooklyn 99 Season 1 Overview

The best freshman comedy of the TV season, and one of the best first season any shows have had in year. The show's primary strenth is most definitely it's cast, something the show is well aware of, being sure to give all 7 main cast members some story beats every episode. The only real knock on the first season is that after a consistently strong first 13 episodes, the back nine struggled to fully attain the same heights as those, though it did end very strongly. The fact that Fox decided they'd end their run in March rather than May probably meant they had to rush through the writing of the back 9, so the dip in quality is understandable, and in fact it's even more impressive the overall season came out as well as it did.

With a longer than usual time to write the next season (by ending early and getting the renewal notice early), season 2 could very well be even better than the first, especially since the entire cast is now well settled into their roles, and the new storyline possibilities with Jake undercover, after telling Amy how he feels, plus Boyle and Gina hooking up. Hopefully Season 2 will feature more actual detective work too and less stories of finding apartments and cell phone game addiction.

Black Mirror S2 Ep 2. - White Bear

That was probably the most disturbing episode of the show so far (which says a lot). Drawing clear parallels to the Moors murders and its cultural impact in the UK, its a bit scary to see the effects of the hunger for 'justice'. Leaves you unsure whether to sympathize with the character or be remorseless for the unforgivable crime. Clever twist, well-told story although it hammers its point a little too hard. Good stuff.

My mistake then :P

I recall a lot of people talking about it at the time.

Sure ...

BTW, I wasn't really serious. Lincoln Lawyer might have been a major hit, but when I saw it on TV, I had never heard of the movie before. That is was the talk of town sorta surprises me. 83% on RT? Wow! That's seems like a bit much. Come to think of it, I don't like this movie at all ... :lol:

Hipster!

Did anyone else here ever get around to watching last year's Top of the Lake? The joint production of the BBC and New Zealand tv. Again, very Twin Peaks-esque, featuring Peggy from Mad Men. A really superb watch.