What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Shameless started out quite brilliantly and I watched it for about three series, but in later ones it devolved into farce and went totally OTT, so I stopped watching it. Don't know how it ended and don't know if it ever got back on track.

Has anyone else seen it? any thoughts?

No, I don't think anybody else on this board has ever seen Star Trek before. You may be the first.

Oh, I didn't know that everybody here would have watched the 60s series.

i thought most of you are watching contemporary series..

I scarcely see any posts on old films and old series..(prior to 1980 that is)

i thought most people are apalled by the old effects.

Given the lamentable fact that most guys started watching tv in their early childhood, 'contemporary' is a relative word. People who grew up in the 80's had not much of a choice: T. J. HOOKER and STAR TREK it was and thousands of new Shat fans were born.

(as for the effects of STAR TREK, i hardly remember the old series except for a hideous creature we called the salt monster back then; i refrain from google it)

Given the lamentable fact that most guys started watching tv in their early childhood, 'contemporary' is a relative word. People who grew up in the 80's had not much of a choice: T. J. HOOKER and STAR TREK it was and thousands of new Shat fans were born.

(as for the effects of STAR TREK, i hardly remember the old series except for a hideous creature we called the salt monster back then; i refrain from google it)

You mean Star Trek was broadcasted in European countries too?

Well, here it didn't.. Only The Next Generation Series..

hehe, yes, I've seen the episode with the salt monster. It was fun!

292px-M_113_Creature.jpg

Has anyone else seen it? any thoughts?

No, I don't think anybody else on this board has ever seen Star Trek before. You may be the first.

Oh, I didn't know that everybody here would have watched the 60s series.

i thought most of you are watching contemporary series..

I scarcely see any posts on old films and old series..(prior to 1980 that is)

i thought most people are apalled by the old effects.

Oh come on, the old series is considered a classic and one of the most repeated shows of the 1960's!

Maybe not everyone has seen the ntire show, in HD three or 4 times, but most people of a certain age will have caught the show at some point in their life.

You mean Star Trek was broadcasted in European countries too?

Well, here it didn't.. Only The Next Generation Series..

It was broadcasted in Holland, and the BBC have done so various times.

I've seen it on german TV also

I don't think I've seen a single episode of any Star Trek TV series (and possibly not any of the original films either). T.J. Hooker, on the other hand, was pretty much synonymous with "Saturday night" when I was a kid. Well, either it or Murder She Wrote...

Oh come on, the old series is considered a classic and one of the most repeated shows of the 1960's!

Well, Gone with the Wind and Ben-Hur are considered classic of the classics too, but Jay hasn't seen them. ;)

I bought the TOS Blu set but haven't opened it yet.

Be careful, because in some players, there have been many reports of audio going slowly out of sync.

I had that problem with PowerDVD on my PC, but fortunately I don't have it with WinDVD.

Speaking of 1960s television and of great British comedy programmes, Hancock's Half Hour exemplifies both at once! There are a lot of episodes and many of them are very dated now, as one would expect, but some - especially those of the final series (titled simply Hancock) - are still magnificent.

This one, The Blood Donor, is the most famous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC1-Mrlm3TU

Speaking of 1960s television and of great British comedy programmes, Hancock's Half Hour exemplifies both at once! There are a lot of episodes and many of them are very dated now, as one would expect, but some - especially those of the final series (titled simply Hancock) - are still magnificent.

This one, The Blood Donor, is the most famous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC1-Mrlm3TU

"what about Magna Carta, did she not die in vain!?"

:biglaugh:

My favourite of Hancock's stuff is his The Archers piss-take:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5bOq7EhJF0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5bOq7EhJF0

(Part 2)

Ach, I got the quote skew-whiff :) I listen to the shows on the iplayer and dated or not, they're a riot. Especially on radio when Sid James fluffs his lines and Hancock says: "Go on, take a run at it" or once when Hancock hears this woman's sharp laughter: "Madam please!"

I like the Hancock series (that being just Hancock) but it somehow was lacking without Sid James or Kenneth Williams (love his idiot-voice).

You know, it's getting me itching to catch up on the likes of Steptoe and co.

Well raced to the 8 eps of Broadchurch with great ease. Excellent murder mystery with a very solid and dramatic conclusion,

For some reason the Americans are remaking this with David Tennant also starring in that version...with an American accent rather then his very excellent Scottish one.

They say the ending will be different, but the trailer looks disturbingly like the show I just watched...just more 'Merican.

I really should watch An Idiot Abroad. Loved The Office, but after the very disappointing Extras, Gervais and Merchant created a funny show again.

an-idiot-abroad-season-2-egypt-wallpaper

Alex

I watched the first couple of seasons a couple of years ago. Humorous and light, it was very easy watching. Never found it hilarious though like a lot of people apparently did. Maybe because I found Pilkington to be quite obviously not as stupid as he made himself out to be.

EXTRAS was great, IDIOT ABROAD not so much. Playing the ignorant slob card works much better with a Partridge type of persona, the delusions of grandeur make it funny. Just a prole is only cringeworthy...and only sometimes in a good way.

But you disliked extra's!

An Idiot Abroad is a very nice variation on the travel docu, having a "average" bloke instead of the all knowing "Michael Palin" type.

I agree with Lee that Pilkington probably isn't as much of a manc moron that he is portrayed on the show.

It's basically like one of those Top Gear specials where they go to a foreign country....but without the cars.

I like it when Top Gear goes abroad! (the trucks episode!)

Was Extras written by Gervais & Merchant? The whole show felt so contrived ...

I have friends working on big movie productions here in Babelsberg all the time...they didn't found the cameos contrived but too flattering (in some cases). I go by my gut instincts and say you are wrong!!!

They bothered me big time! It was watchable but everything felt so 'off', I don't think I laughed once.

It felt like a vanity projectr after the enormous success of The Office ("hey, look at who we were able to get on our new show!")

Hey, I'm Ricky Gervais so everything I say is funny!

Of course the guy from An Idiot Abroad is not a real idiot. He sees a different kind of truth and has a way to enlarge that (typical British, I suppose).

It even gets funnier when Willow (Warwick Davis) accompanies the idiot.

Alex

I like the idea of a travel show hosted by a guy that doesn't really care about traveling, and treats everything he sees with a sort of suspicion.

An Idiot Abroad basically does the same thing as this web page and explains why often traveling to a famous, exotic location is disappointing.

http://themetapicture.com/famous-photos-from-a-different-angle/

Anyone seen Gervais and Pilkington's Derek? Set in a care home, it's become a bit of a cult hit here. I heard it was funny and poignant, so I watched the first episode.

Didn't make it to the end.

An Idiot Abroad basically does the same thing as this web page and explains why often traveling to a famous, exotic location is disappointing.

http://themetapicture.com/famous-photos-from-a-different-angle/

Sorta, but it's much funnier than those pics.

Someone said I should watch Derek but I noticed he had the DVDs of Extras and the American version of The Office standing on his shelf. I can't trust him. He also had every season of The Wire, which makes up for his mistakes, but that's not a comedy show.

Yes, I judge people by their DVD collection!!

I've just moved house last weekend and felt really self conscious when a helper noticed my Emmerich 2012 blu-ray (which I bought for 3 quid) sitting on top of a stack of movies.

I left myself foolishly wide open there, which is unlike me!

I thought that the first series of Extras was brilliant, and the first two episodes of the second were even better; it started to focus on silliness after that, but was still extremely funny for the rest of the series. The concluding specials, on the other hand, I couldn't stand at all; they were soaked in a sentimentality which drowned out all of the humour (of which I guess there was quite a bit) for me, and I haven't been able to bring myself to watch them since their first broadcast. This sort of soppiness seems to be a regular characteristic of Gervais' later work (possibly including Derek, though I haven't seen any full episode of that). Life's Too Short was enjoyable enough, and without so much of the saccharine.

I like the Hancock series (that being just Hancock) but it somehow was lacking without Sid James or Kenneth Williams (love his idiot-voice).

Maybe...it's been ages since I last saw any of those programmes. Absurdly, I have the "Tony Hancock Collection" boxed set (which is supposed to contain most of the Hancock's Half Hour episodes), but I lost it as soon as I brought it home from the shop a few years ago. I think it's fallen behind a pile of books, and I'm going to have to hire a JCB to dig it out...