What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Strange out of all the films Luc Besson has done, it's Nikita that's had not only a remake but TWO tv shows as well.

I want my Fifth Element sequel!

I watched the pilot of Cougar Town and was not compelled to continue. Heard they revamped the show after the first season though.

I want my Fifth Element sequel!

Oh, you love that one too? For all its wackiness and bizarrely grotesque characters, the movie has a real heart, stunning imagery and Milla is a joy to behold. :drool:

With the Fifth Element Besson really hit his creative high that he hasn't been able to match since.

The one that maybe comes closest creative-wise, 'The Extraordinary Adventures of Adèle Blanc-Sec' from 2010 and it tries to provide as fun a tale as his 1997 hit, but doesn't quite succeed. But it's watchable.

The Fifth Element is one of my favorite films of all time. Love everything about it.

Brooklyn 99 2x01 Undercover

Show returns without missing a beat. This is one of the best comedies of last season, and the premiere had just as much laughs as any average episode of that year. The strength of the show continues to be it's great cast, and they all had something to do this week. Not really a fan, though, of how quickly they wrapped up the "Jake undercover" storyline... then ending of Season 1 was a good set up to have the first several episodes of Season 2 break from the norm and do something different, I don't really get why they wrapped it all up in a single episode. Oh well. Gina and Boyle sleeping together again was a weird tag, not sure why the writers are pushing them together?

Garfunkel%2Band%2BOates.png

Garfunkel and Oates Season 1

Garfunkel and Oates are Rikki Lindhome and Kate Miccuci, actresses/comedians who also formed a band together, playing comedy folk type songs. I've seen them live and they put on a great show, and they've both been good and funny in other projects. This show is somewhat like Flight of the Conchords, at least in idea, not in execution. Rikki and Kate play exaggerated versions of themselves, they are in a band and go on shows and get into wacky situations, mostly surrounding dating adventures. The first season was pretty consistent, no standout bad episodes, and one standout exception episode - the one about their gig from hell (If you want to watch one episode to give the show a shot, watched that one - episode 4 Road Warriors). Great guest stars abound, including Ben Kingsley, Weird Al, TJ Miller, Chris Hardwick, Chris Parnell, Kumail Nanjiani, Kevin Pollak, Rob Huebel, Tig Notaro, Ike Barinholtz, Steve Agee, Busy Philipps, Natasha Leggero, and even John Oates. Each episode featured a storyline and 1-3 songs by the band, some directly related to the plot and some not, some from their first 2 albums, some that have been youtube hits since their 2nd album, and some that were brand new written for the show. Overall and enjoyable show that doesn't break any new ground, but is completely entertaining. I await their third album more than I await another season of the show.

It's not for everyone.

Saturday Night Live 40x01 Chris Pratt / Ariana Grande

The trainwreck continues. Almost nothing worked this week, so many skits got zero laughs. Chris Pratt is funny and likeable enough but he couldn't really save that. Even the return of The Girl You Wish You Hadn't Talked To At A Party felt forced. And why does Jost get to keep hosting Weekend Update, he's so terrible! The new guy was 100x better and it was his first show.

Cause it still makes NBC money?

Modern Family 6x01 The Long Honeymoon

There's really not much to say about this show anymore - it's so completely consistent I'd basically just be repeating myself every week. It's possible the show is past it's peak, but even that only means that every episode is just very good and not great. But it's not like you can even think back and pick out specific highlight episodes or seasons, it's just kind of always been a very good show. The weirdest thing now when watching the show is how old Luke has gotten, I mean good god!

The Fifth Element is one of my favorite films of all time. Love everything about it.

This.

Saw it once, thought it was flamboyantly awful.

Thank you, even though I don't mind the first hour.

Boardwalk Empire 5x02 The Good Listener

Well it's the second episode of a new season of Boardwalk, meaning it's time to catch up with Van Alden! He had a few standout moments this episode arguing with his wife, and him working with Eli is a nice new angle, I guess. We also caught up with Gillian this week, surprisingly (though not a total surprise, since the actress is in the opening credits still). I don't really get the point of this, seemed like last season wrapped up her story pretty completely. We'll see where it goes. The advances in the Chicago mob stuff was all good this week. Nucky didn't really seem to have a lot to do. Still not that interested in Eli's son.

Boardwalk Empire 5x03 What Jesus Said

Meh. The Chalky storyline was so boring and dragged out throughout the whole episode, not to mention it was completely predictable! In their first scene I said to Marcy "This guy is annoying, Chalky is going to kill him by the end of the episode". The flashbacks to Young Nucky continue to be pointless retreads of information we already knew. The scenes with Joe Kennedy where actually nice and interesting. The return of Narcisse was unexpected (though not entirely I suppose since the actor's been in the opening credits all season). Last time we saw him he was captured by the feds so I don't really know why he's out running brothels 7 years later. Finally the Margaret and Rothstein stuff gets a payoff, and it was a pretty good one, an interesting angle.

This.

It sure is flamboyant (what a wonderful word)... It basically comes down to the Chris Tucker performance, if it annoys you this movie is not for you. I am most definitely not annoyed by it. :D

Downton Abbey 5x02

Another nice light hearted and funny episode. It's so funny to see Mary and Anna struggling with birth control issues, compared to the society we live in today - and then to think these guys are still 40 years away from the sexual revolution. Damn. Also funny was the AM radio! They need to RENT one, and it's this giant thing a tech guy needs to set up for them, where today we can get one for under a dollar. Funny.

This.

It sure is flamboyant (what a wonderful word)... It basically comes down to the Chris Tucker performance, if it annoys you this movie is not for you. I am most definitely not annoyed by it. :D

The love boat part with Chris Tucker is not only annoying, it's just silly (in an unfunny way). It kills the whole movie. To say it's the best or your favorite science fiction movie is crazy.

If I saw it right now for the first time as a 35 year old who knows how I would feel about it, but when I saw it in the summer of 1997 when I was 16 I thought it was great, saw it 3 times in the theater, and have always enjoyed it since. It's not deep, thought provoking sci fi, it's a fun action movie with a great cast, production design, and score.

The League 6x01 Sitting Shiva

The League 6x02 Tefl-Andre

The League 6x03 The Height Supremacist

The League 6x04 When Rafi Met Randy

It's clear now the show is WELL past it's peak. For 4 years each season was better than the last, and the best episode was the season 4 one where they were tailgating the whole time, which was written by Kroll & Sheer. Those guys are so busy with other projects now the creators are back to writing every episode and it's all just so stale. The worst episode of last season was the Raffi and Randy one, and this season they got another one and it was just as terrible. Damn. It's funny too now that each season has an episode where they write Kroll's character off for few episodes while he's away filming Kroll Show. Hopefully they put this show out of it's misery soon before it gets REALLY bad.

If I saw it right now for the first time as a 35 year old who knows how I would feel about it, but when I saw it in the summer of 1997 when I was 16 I thought it was great, saw it 3 times in the theater, and have always enjoyed it since. It's not deep, thought provoking sci fi, it's a fun action movie with a great cast, production design, and score.

How would being 35 have any impact on it being one of your favourite films of all time?

You either grow out of a movie or you don't. That's quite normal. But seeing it for the first time at 35 wouldn't change a movie from being one of your "all time favourites" to "meh"?

If you had just said you liked the movie that would be different. But you have a much more profound connection with the movie, apparently. If seeing it at 35 completely undermined that then it was never one of your favourites to begin with, not really.

I don't really understand what you are saying, or asking me.

I am saying I saw The Fifth Element as a kid, loved it, and still do.

In some alternate reality where I had NEVER seen The Fifth Element before at all, and sat down to watch it tonight, would I like it? I have no idea.

If you are asking me something more specific that I am not understanding, feel free to re-phrase.

silicon-valley-cast.jpg

Silicon Valley Season 1

This is a very funny show! Created by Mike Judge, it is about five friends who start a startup company in Silicon Valley, and a race to market it when one of their former employers begin reverse engineering it. The cast is all great, especially Kumail Nanjiani and TJ Miller, who steal a lot of scenes. Biggest bummer about the show is that one of the actors (an investor in their startup) died in real life after filming 5 of the 8 episodes, so they had to kind of quickly write around that and Season 2 won't be the same without him, he was a breakout character. Looking forward to the new season regardless!

This.

The love boat part with Chris Tucker is not only annoying, it's just silly (in an unfunny way). It kills the whole movie. To say it's the best or your favorite science fiction movie is crazy.

It's one of the best sci-fi movies. ;)

vibe-new-orange-is-the-new-black-season-

Orange Is The New Black Season 2

About as good as the first. An entertaining show that is a nice blend of comedy and drama. Biggest points against this season was a lack of Laura Prepon, but they wrote around the actor's unavailability almost well enough to complete mask that's why she really wasn't there. Luckily, next season should make up for that.

This.

It's the one part of the film where I laugh out loud the hardest. So I like silly comedy. I like silly a lot !!! :lol:

And the TFE is not my favourite sci-fi movie. It's like Jay says, fun action flick with some silly (and funny) parts, tongue firmly in cheeck, don't take it all too seriously type of stuff, if you catch my drift.

I never minded the Chris Tucker parts of the film. It fits right in with the kind of crazy world Besson came up with for the film.

The Color Purple should have a TV show spin off.

Anyone got any ideas on casting? And how could they tie it into the film? Michael Giacchino would possibly write the main theme.

mr_sloane._V350472032_SX385_SY342_.jpg

Promising new british comedy with Nick Frost as daydreaming, depressed divorcee in late 60's Britain. The swinging sixties didn't happen to Mr. Sloane, so he chums along through several lousy dayjobs, hangs out with the mates in unwell-looking pubs (there's a great returning gag about boys then having to hang out in Dad's car till he's done drinking complaining how they'd rather do homework) and gets into all kinds of malaises that thankfully went not just for some bellylaughs but more sustained situation comedy.

The overture sets the tone: Mr. Sloane is about to hang himself, the timeworn gag of the crashing ceiling chandelier follows but the real joke is how he is summoned by the ringing phone and answers in total pitch-perfect conversational tone 'This is Mr. Sloane, how may i help you?'. I have only seen the first two episodes but hope they keep the style. Also next up: OUR ZOO, another british one. They seldom fail me...