What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Just forget about plots, enjoy all those set pieces. It helps to understand how fucked up urban people operate. See him roughing a heckler to see what the wonderful misery level of the show is:

Any opinions on Louie C.K's show, Louie?

Haven't seen season 4 yet, but it's a pretty addictive show. Season 1 is good (although it takes a few episodes to settle in, so stick with it), but Season 2 & 3 are money.

Finished my blu-ray set of Mad Men S6, which is pretty mediocre when it comes to image quality. About the show itself, yes, I understand the people who say it's getting too soapy, but I still enjoyed it. Episode 7 (Man With A Plan) is the season's absolute highlight and I actually like the casting of Harry 'L.A. Law' Hamlin. A friend of mine says season 7 is much better again. I'm curious ...

madmen-season6-rogerjimjpg-e9120948f89e5

Alex

Boardwalk Empire 5x04 Cuanto

Seeing Nucky and Margaret together again has brought a breath of fresh air back into the show, for sure! Every scene they had this week was very good. The escalating craziness of Al Capone was also interesting, especially the interaction with Charlie Luciano and his revelation that Mueller is Van Alden should lead to interesting consequences next week. I also enjoyed the Joe Kennedy scenes, not sure if we've seen the last of him or not. Bummer about Sally. That was odd.

Torchwood: Miracle Day

After the critical succes of the 5 day barnstormer Torchwood: Children Of Earth the BBC made a fourth series with US network Starz. Repeating the succesforfuma of Children Of Earth, doing a single story season.

The problem is that instead of 5, this is 10 episodes.

While Children Of Earth kept you on the edge of your seat, Miracle Day starts to meander quite early on.

It has an interesting sci-fi premise. Everyone on Earth suddenly becomes immortal, with exception of Captain Jack Harkness, who was immortal, but can now die.

This allows showrunner Russel T. Davies and his writers to do a lot of things that are quite interesting. It's one of the few TV shows that satirizes both the US healthcare system and the British NHS, as they both try and deal with the fact that if no one dies, hospital beds fill up, bacteria and virus spread, people dont get better. they dont die, but they dont recover. It's a grim look on immortality that soon makes "miracle day" seem like not all it's cracked up to be.

Because no one dies, the population rises. pension funds are useless so they go bust. Soon global recession sets in. And governments of all nations resort to simply burning the bodies of those who are still alive.

As social commentary on the state of the world, Russel T. Davies vision is as dark as it was for Children Of Earth, where governments sent children to alien ships to serve as abstinence.

While all this is quite fascination, it's not been done in a way that can support 10 55 minute episodes, so the whole series has a diluted feel to it.

Since Starz is now co-producing, a size-able part of the story takes place in the US. And the Torchwood team. which had been decimated at the end of season 2 (Tosh and Owen) and lost fan favorite Ianto in Children Of Earth gain two American members.

The problem is that neither character (Meki Phipher plays Rex Matheson and Alexa Havins plays Esther Drummond) are particular interesting. Not compared to the ones they replace, or in their own right.

Ower the course of the previous series Tosh, Owen and Ianto all went through interesting arcs,a nd become characters you cared for. The arcs these new ones were given seemed rather thin. I never really cared much.

The season does boast some interesting supporting roles though. Bill Pullman manages to make his character, a pedophile and murderer who got released from jail because he could no longer be executed into a interesting character. Never losing the creepy edge, but making him more then just a monster. Lauren Ambroze makes an impression as his "agent" who slowly rises through the ranks to whatever organization is behind the miracle.

Well known actors like Ernie Hudson, John DeLancie and Nana Visitor :wub: fill out things nicely.

The stars of this are still Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper. And the show is best when it sticks with them. Even in an Americanized version, John Barrowman's Jack Harkness seems like a man in a place where he doesnt belong.

Barrowman has only a limited range as an actor I think, but he's actually quite an effective lead, as he does have charisma, and keeps his "flaming queer" very much under wraps (anyone who's seen Barrowman as himself on British TV knows what I'm on about).

However Eva Myles is by far the best actor in this as her Gwen Cooper. With the new characters a bit bland, she carries the torch as her Gwen kicks ass, takes names and is generally cool and bitching at the same time.

Even though she's not a standard beauty like every one of the American actresses in this, with her short, slightly rounder stature and the gap between her teeth, She makes a hell of in impression. Believable both when she's being impatient with her big log of a husband Rhys, or when she 's shooting her way through a flaming house with a machine gun in one hand and her baby in the other.

In a show that struggles with making characters come alive, she is simply epic. Full of life and gravitas, and with a great Welsh accent. (even when making it all the way to the USA, Welsh born Russel T. Davies can't totally ignore the shows and his own common sense welsh roots and the season is better for it)

He also can't help putting is as much connections to Doctor Who, of which this is still a spin-off, ass he can.

On the one hand this always seems funny, since Torchwood is for a different age-group, with it's bloodshed, and sex, most of it graphic and gay.

The actual plot of this season though. People suddenly unable to die is exactly the same kind of cod-sci-fi as Doctor Who though. The show masquerades as being for the grown ups, but exist n the same universe when it comes to barely logical explanations where things happen just...well because they can.

The wrap up to the mystery is barely satisfactory, because its' all sci-fi verging on the edges of pulp fantasy.(which is fine for Who, but a bit harder to take for a show with a more mature tone).

I wonder is Miracle Day, which is essentially just season 4 of Torchwood would not have been better if the Miracle Day mystery was the backbone of the season, but other Torchwood cases were done as well.

Shot in HD with a good budget the show looks fine. Music is far less interesting then before though.

Season 1 or Torchwood was still the worst. With a muddles concept, second rate stories and mostly unlikable characters. Season 2 was a massive improvement, and it's the best season. Torchwood: Children Of Earth was a step down but still very solid. And this is a step down again.

Perfectly watchable, at times riveting, but too diluted. Too American

Firefly episode 1, Serenity

A very brisk 90 minutes that just flew by. Interesting concept of a Space Westerm. You normally dont see a lot of horses in sci-fi.

Well rounded cast with Nathan Fillion in good form as the Han Solo-like captain. (he and Harrison Ford share the same crooked smile)

Production design is good and the early 2000's CGI doesnt distract to much.

Can't see how this became a cult series though. Maybe it improves along the way.

The pilot episode is probably the worst out of the whole season. I remember not being surprised that Fox didn't want to air it first

I recently watched Firefly for the first time, and I thought the first few of the "intended" sequence of episodes weren't the best. The series really kicks up a gear starting from the Our Mrs. Reynolds episode. By the end of the season you do feel like you're endeared to this motley bunch of incongruent characters, and want to see more of them.

Well I wouldn't say there's a lot of that "magic" you're referring to; it is a show whose charms are very dependent on its characters and their interactions, and also the comic timing, which is pretty much near perfect. Jayne, despite being the asshole, has some of the best comic moments throughout. The part where he pulls a rag to use as a blanket just floored me. And that briskness you talked about? Yeah it's evident in almost all the episodes. There's this brevity and lightness to the proceedings that's quite refreshing, and each episode wraps up its own story quite nicely. Nothing overstays its welcome. That's the thing I didn't quite like about Serenity when I re-watched it yesterday - it felt a little bloated and lost the lightness of touch the series had.

So yeah, it's not magical, it's not the best thing ever, and it's certainly not perfect, but I totally get why this is a cult classic.

Well many sci-fi geeks do seem to consider it the best thing since sliced bread so....

Which is actually odd since it does very little original. I guess it's all about Whedon's vibe.

Well, they always said Star Wars is a Western. Whedon enlarged that and made it literal.

He would be a perfect director for the new Star Warses.

Star Wars was never ironic though.

Star Wars with humor.

Zomg! How dare they make a movie in 1.85:1?!

It's a TV series, you Drax. Of course, the movie is 2:35.1

So who's your favorite Firefly girl so far, Steef?

Alex

Inara in that episode where she lay there drowsy and all. That look. Woah.

And as the series progressed I really found Kaylee to be just adorable.

Well, they always said Star Wars is a Western. Whedon enlarged that and made it literal.

He would be a perfect director for the new Star Warses.

I hadn't thought about it till now but you're right. I couldn't think of anyone better.

Started re-watching God, the Devil and Bob and my god is this brilliant. I remember that I watched some episodes when it started airing and I was just a kid and there was a lot of stuff I didn't get, but there was something that really appealed to me. As someone who went to church every sunday -because of my mother- but still was a very firm believer in science and evolution I remember really liking how they depicted God as this sort of laid-back, cool guy who still had his flaws. The writing and the humour itself is very appealing and the voice-acting is phenomenal, too bad they couldn't spend a little more on the animation.

I can't see why it was taken as offensive, I imagine the religious extremists didn't even bother watching it because I couldn't find anything offensive about it, in fact it's surprisingly respectful, but still taking a couple of hits where deserved. It's also a very sweet show, but also quite sarcastic. I don't know, it's just the right mix.

Tonight the Strain ends season one. The Flash starts Tuesday and American Horror Story Freakshow begins Wednesday. Will it equal the best of AMH in Asylum? Time will tell.

Anyone watch the show Peaky Blinders? Just saw it on Netflix but never heard of it, has Cillian Murphy.

Visually, it looks like a darker version of Downton Abbey. I didn't fancy it, of what I saw. Although I'm probably not the best person to ask.

I recently watched Firefly for the first time, and I thought the first few of the "intended" sequence of episodes weren't the best. The series really kicks up a gear starting from the Our Mrs. Reynolds episode. By the end of the season you do feel like you're endeared to this motley bunch of incongruent characters, and want to see more of them.

This.