What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

My fiancé wanted to start the Dead about a month ago. This weekend we've binge watched from Pretty Much Dead Already (still probably the finest episode of the show yet) through the second episode of the third season. It's amazing to watch various character arcs as they change, particularly Daryl and Carol. I've realized how much I miss someone as he was, not the cold calculating assassin he became. But tonight, I'll still watch the new episode because I can't wait.

Parks and Recreation 7x07 Donna & Joe

Holy crap - seven (SEVEN!) episodes in and we've finally seen Ben and Leslie's triplets. What took so long? And Rachel Dratch as their nanny! Perfect!

Donna has always been an ancillary character and her new husband has barely been in the show at all, so I wondered how an episode focused on her wedding would work - luckily, their wedding was maybe the smallest storyline in the episode. Though I must say, their vows were really nice, and the family drama situation was funny - good cameo by Questlove. The C story with Lucy and Tom was fine, but has the problem of it all just feeling inevitable - there won't be any surprises to come in their storyline. The B story, with Ben being offer a congressional position and his decision of whether or not to run for it, was the most interesting storyline. This is a great direction to take his character. I'm glad with the numerous callbacks to his old Mayor position this season.

One final thought - the casting of Lucy Lawless as Ron's wife I now feel was both really really good and really really bad casting at the same time. I mean, she's great, she's great as Ron's wife, and they have good chemistry together. But the fact that she BARELY EVER actually appears in the show, due to Lawless's busy career, is just a big damn shame. As good as she is in the role, they really should have cast someone who could actually appear regularly through all the final seasons. The fact that she wasn't at the wedding was so dumb. Blah!

Anybody watch last week's It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, the episode Charlie Work? Not only was it one of their best episodes in years, but I am pretty sure the entire middle of the episode was a direct homage to Birdman, with a running drum score and feel of a long continuous shot by hiding cuts on a closeup of a character's back (like Rope). Good stuff

Anybody watch last week's It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, the episode Charlie Work? Not only was it one of their best episodes in years, but I am pretty sure the entire middle of the episode was a direct homage to Birdman, with a running drum score and feel of a long continuous shot by hiding cuts on a closeup of a character's back (like Rope). Good stuff

I'm on Season 4. Have a lot of catching up to do.

Ohhhh Jon Stewart, that dude who used to do great standup. What's he been up to since? Heard he became too much of a smug bastard for his own good.

That description makes me think more this guy:

bill-maher-youtube-800x430.jpg

But, yeah, having a soapbox for that long can do that to you.

Vikings S1: A few impressions after 3 episodes:

- Not golden agey but watchable

- Not to be compared with Game Of Thrones

- Gabriel Byrne is the only one who can really act - the others just need to look like vikings

History_Vikings_107_A-Kings-Ransom_LF_HD

Alex

If you want great characters and acting, don't watch Vikings, but it's sorta fun to see a bunch of savages murdering off a whole monastery when they first set foot in England.

The production values of GOT are way much higher, but true, it's a combination of 'meh' and 'ah'. In season 3 of GOT, the 'ahs' were scant.

How much did you see of Vikings, Boal?

Alex

Aside from the brilliant opener beyond the The Wall, the first season of Game of Thrones was nowhere nearly as richly produced as subsequent seasons. The lighting was TV (flat), the CG vistas were shoddy and the sense of scope was decidedly small-scale.

Breaking Bad, the one with the fly in the lab.

Very cool, an entire episode carried only by the two leads in a single location. Loved Cranston's monologue while the sleeping drug was taking effect. Superbly directed by Rian Johnson (Looper).

On a related note I see Better Call Saul is already available here on netflix.

So how come you gave me the opposite impression when you pointed out the obvious stylistic differences between GoT and LotR?

You're the one who was comparing GOT to LOTR. And you gave the impression that you didn't understand why there is a difference in scope.

GOT: Sex and power: No big scope needed.

If you understood their obvious difference in themes, then why compare?

Cheers!

Alex

Better Call Saul 1x01 Uno

Fears this would be a cheap knockoff of Breaking Bad are alleviated, it's a unique show in its own right with a quite different dynamic and very different story to tell, simply taking place in the same setting.

I'll be posting my thoughts for the whole season over in the Better Call Saul thread, and here's my thoughts on the first episode.

Season 1 of GOT already looked great Lee. Not as epic as what would come, I agree. But hardly like BBC Original Drama.

I don't think it looked good till later on. Everything has more money pumped into it and it shows.

Once the show became a hit HBO clearly gave them more money and the latter seasons do look better than the first - but the first already looked good. They clearly knew how to spend the money wisely. Also it helped that Season 1 was relatively self-contained, with fewer locations than they eventually got to.