What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Real BDSM and S&M doesn't actually work like that. There is a deep level of trust between the dominator and the submissive person. And limits, usually discussed and agreed upon beforehand.

Amazing how so many people are now experts on this subject.

I liked it before it was cool.

This SNL 40th anniversary special on right now is great.

Watched this last night. Really great stuff.

I wasn't a big fan of SNL or anything, only watched some of their gags on youtube, which can often be hit-and-miss, so I wasn't too familiar with all the characters. But man emotions seemed to run high in this special, and there was a lot of really funny moments. The real impressive thing about it was how clear it was that SNL was a truly special institution that's built so much of Hollywood's comedy legends. So many stars came out to this, and the audience was filled with even more starpower (say George Lucas and Spielberg in the same row, even Howard Shore caught my eye a couple of times!). I really enjoyed it.

Though I've got to say, the current SNL cast really pales in comparison to the folks that came before them.

Did they show any of the Shore sketches, or was he in the audience/band?

The Fall 1x01 Dark Descent

Season two has some quality stuff, but there is a particular sub-plot that didn't need to exist...

Which subplot are you thinking of?

The carryover from season one involving James Tyler, the husband of Spector's former patient. He was fine as part of the first season, but that story thread was over. There was no need to bring him back and factor him into the finale like they did. It made it seem contrived and unoriginal.

Real BDSM and S&M doesn't actually work like that. There is a deep level of trust between the dominator and the submissive person. And limits, usually discussed and agreed upon beforehand.

You can keep your "real" BDSM, I prefer my torture with absolutely no trust.

I think the problem is that Hollywood has glorified it and it's been talked up as a kinky romance.

Everyone knows it's a stupid and poorly written book, I think you're giving it too much distinction. I have a sneaky suspicion that most of its popularity came from people wanting to witness a train wreck, and the movie was made to cash in on those same people willing to see that same crash in clearer detail.

You can keep your "real" BDSM, I prefer my torture with absolutely no trust.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about.

Friends (all 10 seasons)

Compared somewhat unfavorably at the time with Seinfeld and Ellen, Friends is the one with the longest legs. (Seinfeld became a more annoying and inhospitable show as time went on and Ellen changed from a show about a quirky character who works in a book store to a weird meta series about Ellen Degeneres being a lesbian)

Based on solid writing, a perfectly chosen ensemble cast and a simple but effective format Friends doesn't really feel dated at all, apart from little things, like people using a payphone rather then mobiles etc.

Even if there is a dip in quality after season 6 or 7, the show never really jumps the shark. Though the celebrity guest roles do start to get a bit obvious in later seasons.

It's such a likeable show too. It works because the viewer cares about, or can relate to the characters. Very rarely in a sitcom have 6 characters who, on their own would not be all that interesting, elevated a show to something really wonderful. I also like the fact that it's a true ensemble piece. Though Joey and Pheebs get a little less development overall then the others.

Friends was never groundbreaking in either it's concept or execution, but it's one of those shows where all the pieces just worked.

It's also rare to have a really successful sitcom where the finale isnt a soul-crushing disappointment.

This was fun to watch again, and I can happily see myself doing this again in a few years time, or maybe grab a few episodes on a rainy day.

Parks and Recreation 7x10 The Johnny Karate Super Awesome Musical Explosion Show

Worst episode ever?

OK, maybe not, but this would certainly be down there. Apart from a couple funny ideas, all the comercials, and the April/Andy moment a the end... meh.

Also: Third episode in a row without Tom? What's up with that?

RIP Harris Wittles

With my Lost kick over, I decided to delve into Mad Men. I'm about 10 episodes in and it's been an enjoyable watch so far. Does anybody here know if it's worth watching all the way through? Or does it lose steam after the first few seasons?

Parks and Recreation 7x11 Two Funerals

So Tom's back - he was randomly in New York for 3 episodes? OK..... if Aziz was going to be unavailable for a while, why not film out of order so his absent episodes wouldn't be all in a row, and he wouldn't have to miss the big Johnny Karate episode? Oh well. I kinda liked the main plot, with Leslie feeling sad about everyone moving away and wanting to help Tom propose to Lucy, and his proposal was sweet. The B plot with Ron sad about the death of his barber was good too, but again its annoying his wife is nowhere to be seen. The C plot with the death of Mayor Gunderson was good too - unfortunately, the Bill Murray cameo was spoiled for me before I saw it. His farewell speech was great though, ad was the cavalcade of returning recurring characters as Ben interviewed potential replacements. Kinda silly that Garry ended up getting it, but oh well.

Finale airs tonight!

The Fall 1x02 Darkness Visible

Meh, more of the same, but at least once again we get a hot scene with Gillian Anderson. Yowza! All the scenes with the killer and the babysitter were really creepy. The assassination was foreshadowed too heavily. Not much else to say.

Modern Family 6x15 Fight or Flight

Phil and Claire on the plane - pretty funny. Love Penn Jillette. Jay and Manny with the "bully" - alright. Haley and Alex helping Luke break up with his girl - pretty funny. Cameron and Mitch with Sal's baby - predictable. Overall a pretty unmemorable episode.

Which [The Fall] subplot are you thinking of?

The carryover from season one involving James Tyler, the husband of Spector's former patient. He was fine as part of the first season, but that story thread was over. There was no need to bring him back and factor him into the finale like they did. It made it seem contrived and unoriginal.

Yeah...I suppose that was a device employed purely to bring about the events of the last few minutes.

His Arkansas team beat the Texas team 81-75 which is good. We realize you're not used to rationalizing scores that high because futbol games would need a lot longer than 90 minutes to get a score that high. Probably weeks.