What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

On 1/16/2018 at 4:45 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

Mozart in the Jungle.

Great series!

Ah, I love this series. Watched it from season 1 and always look forward to it. It's rare to see classical music featured so prominently in any TV show (I don't actually know of any other examples to be honest..). 

12 hours ago, Woj said:

Thanks for the warning.

I was quite happy to see Jason Biggs drinking a Southern Tier a few episodes ago. I missed most of the first episode so I didn't catch the setting, but upstate NY makes sense for that brand. 

Southern Tier is good.  I kinda like Jason Biggs' character on the show, but IIRC after season 2 we never see him again.  After season 1 the show no longer becomes Piper's story and all the various other inmates get more and more prominent.  I think there's an episode or 2 where Pipe doesn't even appear at all.

Orange is the New Black really was a fantastic show. It was fresh, funny, interesting, featured some genuinely great characters. It was one of my favourites.

But yeah..there is just no defending season 5.

18 minutes ago, Woj said:

I don't care if it's popular or if arrogant foreign bastards turn their nose at it. It's presently entertaining. 

Oh yea, it was extremely entertaining for a while, and man, that cast - the casting director really found some good actors, and the writers eventually gave them all meaty stories to sink their talents into.  But then season 5 happened.

7 minutes ago, idril said:

Orange is the New Black really was a fantastic show. It was fresh, funny, interesting, featured some genuinely great characters. It was one of my favourites.

But yeah..there is just no defending season 5.

It was just a dumb idea to have an entire season take place over 3 days, especially in that way.

Just now, Jay said:

Oh yea, it was extremely entertaining for a while, and man, that cast - the casting director really found some good actors, and the writers eventually gave them all meaty stories to sink their talents into.  But then season 5 happened.

It was just a dumb idea to have an entire season take place over 3 days, especially in that way.

Yeah, agreed. It's like...an intriguing concept IF and only if you can pull it off incredibly well. And they just didn't. 

Plus I just found the balance of humour way off in season 5. Things that were just a step too disturbing were played for laughs in a way that they hadn't been in previous seasons. I'm all for dark humour but season 5 just turned into something quite repulsive to me, mired in slapstick, over-the-top comedy that almost never landed and took over the entire show. The hearts and nuances of the characters were just swept away.

55 minutes ago, idril said:

Yeah, agreed. It's like...an intriguing concept IF and only if you can pull it off incredibly well. And they just didn't. 

Yea, exactly.

Plus I just found the balance of humour way off in season 5. Things that were just a step too disturbing were played for laughs in a way that they hadn't been in previous seasons. I'm all for dark humour but season 5 just turned into something quite repulsive to me, mired in slapstick, over-the-top comedy that almost never landed and took over the entire show. The hearts and nuances of the characters were just swept away.

That's another problem with a show as a whole, it started out as a "fairly" light comedy set in a darker situation, but over time the comedy became less and less and they got more violent and dark and did more "social issues" type stuff and lost a lot of the fun.  Crazy eyes went from comedic relief to a tragic character, multiple people have been killed off, etc

Plus, my biggest complaint: Piper is the worst character!  She is so full of herself, and constantly makes situations worse, and is a shithead to everyone she dates.  The actress is good, but she should leave the show behind and move on to better things, and let the show become the ensemble show is basically already is.

1 hour ago, Woj said:

You know, I'm trying to not read ahead so if y'all could dispense with the spoilers, even thinly veiled, that would be so great. Thanks. 

Sorry Woj!

30 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

If someone here's arrogant it surely has to be you. Bad day at work, friend?

I don't know you. Please know that I wasn't referring to you. 

Putting this here for anyone watching this here besides myself (ie nobody):

So that'll my bedtime half hour show sorted for a good few weeks then, there is no TV I like which is easier to watch than Ash vs Evil Dead. I'm happy. 

17 hours ago, Woj said:

After spending years lusting after Hot Donna on That 70s Show, this is a fun continuation. Even if the actress is a headcase. 

I never liked her blonde (which she had been for a while), but the black hair suits her perfectly! I'm not sure she's ever looked better than in Orange is the New Black. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Putting this here for anyone watching this here besides myself (ie nobody):

So that'll my bedtime half hour show sorted for a good few weeks then, there is no TV I like which is easier to watch than Ash vs Evil Dead. I'm happy. 

We watched half of the first episode, stopped, and just never went back. I also haven't watched any TXF yet. Just not feeling either. 

Stranger Things Season 2

image.png

It took me a long time to finally get around to seeing this.  Although it no longer had that freshness that the first season had, it was still extremely good TV.  There was only one episode/plot line that didn't work at all, and could have been completely removed, and the whole season would have been tighter.  Other than that, no complaints.  Great acting by the all involved, wonderful characters, and some truly emotional and heart-pounding moments makes this just as watchable and entertaining as the first season.

3 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

There was only one episode/plot line that didn't work at all, and could have been completely removed, and the whole season would have been tighter

Elle's trip to Chicago?

I like that OITNB intersperses the prime story with so many disjointed flashbacks and parallel contemporary storylines without needing to hold the audience's hand with numbers. They don't put "years ago" subtitles on the screen. It forces the audience to pay attention. I like it. 

As soon as I saw the "008" in the first 5 minutes of season 1, I just shouted "pleeeease don't go there!" internally. I really hope they won't start focusing on finding and uniting all 11 freaking superkids, I feel it should keep focus on the Hawkins characters after making me like them. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Is it feasible to skip the bad episode of Stranger Things S2 without missing anything important? 

It gives El some development, but not well done. The surprise at the end of Ep8 must work infinitely better if you don't watch Ep7, maybe afterwards as an "Adventures of Eleven" spinoff episode.

It has kind of a bombshell in the middle, but a kind of ambiguous one, something like "This surprising thing MAY be happening and coming".

1 minute ago, Holko said:

As soon as I saw the "008" in the first 5 minutes of season 1, I just shouted "pleeeease don't go there!" internally. I really hope they won't start focusing on finding and uniting all 11 freaking superkids, I feel it should keep focus on the Hawkins characters after making me like them.

It made me think of Alien Resurrection.

2 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

It made me think of Alien Resurrection.

Seeing Eleven burn them to death would be pretty cool :wink:

42 minutes ago, Holko said:

It gives El some development, but not well done. The surprise at the end of Ep8 must work infinitely better if you don't watch Ep7, maybe afterwards as an "Adventures of Eleven" spinoff episode.

It has kind of a bombshell in the middle, but a kind of ambiguous one, something like "This surprising thing MAY be happening and coming".

So you're saying it's perfectly safe and cohesive to skip epi 7, until perhaps after the final episode. I'm gonna take a chance then and try this, thanks for the suggestion. 

55 minutes ago, Quintus said:

So you're saying it's perfectly safe and cohesive to skip epi 7, until perhaps after the final episode. I'm gonna take a chance then and try this, thanks for the suggestion. 

Lemme know if you really end up doing that so I can disqualify your opinion of season 2.