What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Well I thought it might have meant subtitled, so I checked Norsemen out on UK Netflix and they do indeed speak in English language albeit with Norwegian accents. So presumably they also filmed and recorded a Norwegian language version too, or at least that's what Wikipedia claims. 

In which case, isn't that a bit of a first? 

14 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

I'm looking forward to season 4 already.

I gather that filming is already well underway...

36 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Never heard of such a thing in recent times. Josef von Sternberg's 1930 film The Blue Angel was shot simultaneously in English and German versions, which was apparently fairly common in those days.

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Well I thought it might have meant subtitled, so I checked Norsemen out on UK Netflix and they do indeed speak in English language albeit with Norwegian accents. So presumably they also filmed and recorded a Norwegian language version too, or at least that's what Wikipedia claims. 

rs_560x415-130508104524-1024.atworldsend.mh.050813.jpg

One of my favorite directors, Michael Haneke creates his first TV series, a high-concept drama set in a near-future dystopia.

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/01/kelvins-book-michael-haneke-tv-show-1201922589/

The Golden Age of Television has only just begun. 

I just finished Dark.

It's like Back to the Future, but with german characters, that's not funny and we understand nothing. :mellow:

39 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, I never disliked the show. 

I got very bored around the second or third season. It became a pretty typical procedural-type. Had a decent first season though.

Yea, his Westworld score is SIGNIFICANTLY better than his GOT score.

I think the producers of GOT purposely and explicitly wanted a low-key synth score for 90% of the scenes in the show.

A modern stylish sci-fi project like Westworld also plays much closer to Djawadi's strengths than a grand fantasy soap opera.

It also helps that Djawadi has grown as a composer over the years.

Tru. Dat had some epik beatz dawg.

But more seriously, there's no question that's he's an amateur, especially in this arena, but I don't think it's unreasonable to say his instincts as a film composer have matured, and his work for stuff like Westworld better showcase that.

His GOT scores have moments of greatness surrounded by a sea of boring shite.

His WestWorld score is just genuinely good.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think the producers of GOT purposely and explicitly wanted a low-key synth score for 90% of the scenes in the show.

That's why I think the music of GOT is good. Low-key. The music is hardly there. I'm never distracted. Everybody here raves about the music of Cloverfield Paradox. I thought that score didn't even fit the movie it was written for.

There's a difference between music being "low-key" and just plain bad music. Subtlety and quality are not mutually exclusive.

Game of Thrones obviously doesn't need something as grand as LOTR or some Poledouris-style 80s flair. But most of what you hear in the show is stylistically and musically dull as dishwater. It might as well have been left un-scored.

landscape-1515494756-1389396-516119-zoom

The End of the F***ing World

On a friend's recommendation, I checked out this small Netflix British dark comedy. And it's a proper gem. It's basically a mix of Thelma and Louise and True Romance with two angsty teenagers. It's charming, funny and moving, and owes a lot to its fantastic leads (the boy, who I remember seeing from the hacker episode in season 3 of Black Mirror, is especially great). If anything, the biting wit and momentum of the first couple of episodes gets sort of lost by the end though. But still, ight episodes, just 20 min each, and the whole thing just flies by you. Highly recommend it for anyone looking for some light Netflix fare.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So music that is unobtrusive = good?

That's what film composers used to say, yes. An old saying goes: "If you didn't hear the music that means I did a good job."

11 hours ago, KK said:

Game of Thrones obviously doesn't need something as grand as LOTR or some Poledouris-style 80s flair. 

Which is obviously a problem for some viewers (or haters). They can only associate 'Fantasy' with LOTR or loud '80s bombast.

32 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Less music in film, the better. 

Yes! The worse movies are the more music they put over it to cover it up. See The Cloverfield Paradox or Life.

32 minutes ago, Denise Bryson said:

Whoever came up with film scores was a nut.

The idea is good but today there's an overuse and over-reliance of music in film and TV.

15 hours ago, KK said:

landscape-1515494756-1389396-516119-zoom

The End of the F***ing World

On a friend's recommendation, I checked out this small Netflix British dark comedy. And it's a proper gem. A portrait of two delusional teenage misfits dealing with very teenage feelings while fucked up things happen to them. It's a basically a sardonic mix of Thelma and Louise and True Romance. And it's charming, funny and moving, and owes a lot to its fantastic leads (the boy, who I remember seeing from the hacker episode in season 3 of Black Mirror, is especially great). If anything, the biting wit and momentum of the first couple of episodes gets sort of lost by the end, but it's nothing you can't forgive. Eight episodes, just 20 min each, and the whole thing just flies by you. Highly recommend it for anyone looking for some light Netflix fare.

I think I watched the first two or three of these last week. It seemed like it was aimed at the Skins audience. I hated that show, but this one at least had that sharp tongued female lead, which might be of potential value for further viewings. I also recognised the guy from the episode of Black Mirror featuring Bronn from GOT. 

I haven't seen Skins, and it doesn't seem like my thing either. But I could get on board with the "emo teenage" character of it all. It's done here with wit and style, and the two leads are endearing. 

3 episodes into Black Mirror Season 4 and still hoping there will be an episode that I will like. The first 30 minutes of the Trek parody were good though ...

It isn't like that. All in all, I only really liked two episodes from the previous 3 seasons. Not sure if the fourth season can add a third one. I think in order to like the show it's better not to ask too many questions. I find most of it either too 'on the nose' or too irrational to go along with it. 

Wait, who thought Better Call Saul season 3 jumped the shark?  I thought all 3 seasons were great and can't wait for Season 4

I've only watched the first 3 episodes of this year's Black Mirror and I've found merit in all of them apart from the third one, which just wasn't very good. That storyline (the psychopath) was just taking the piss a bit, it was OTT and unconvincingly done. Episode 4 was very good though, especially with the grin inducing surprise right at the end. You'll never see it coming! 

Black Mirror overall is well worth watching. Not all of the episodes are good, but by far most of them are. Certainly better than most of the other shite people tune into these days. And at the end of the day, San Junipero was one of the most stunning things I saw on TV last year, it was outstanding. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Wait, who thought Better Call Saul season 3 jumped the shark?  I thought all 3 seasons were great and can't wait for Season 4

It was getting stagnant and fairly repetitious with the brother (again his mental illness, his hatred) and Jimmy trying his best. I'm glad it ended how it ended.