What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

14 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

I struggle to find anything to watch on Prime and Netflix. 

Check out Schitt's Creek

Nothing on hBo I really want to watch. I never bought into game of thrones and westworld is too slow.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

I remember  liking the Weir movie

It has a stunning soundtrack and an incomparable dreamlike mood which I find both soothing and uneasy at once. If I sound pretentious when I say this, tough shit.

5 hours ago, Quintus said:

It has a stunning soundtrack and an incomparable dreamlike mood which I find both soothing and uneasy at once. If I sound pretentious when I say this, tough shit.

It was cinsidered one of Australia's great films.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:22 PM, JoeinAR said:

I struggle to find anything to watch on Prime and Netflix. 

The quality on Netflix is very poor. Not much better on prime.

You will love Stranger Things. It's with kids, lots of kids dialog, and many things happening. 

On 7/18/2019 at 11:09 PM, JoeinAR said:

Nothing on hBo I really want to watch.

Stick to The Mentalist, Joe. You've always been more of a network guy. The crème de la crème TV is not for you.

p11235050_b_v8_aa.jpg

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

You will love Stranger Things. It's with kids, lots of kids dialog, and many things happening. 

Stick to The Mentalist, Joe. You've always been more of a network guy. The crème de la crème TV is not for you.

p11235050_b_v8_aa.jpg

What a fucking snobish elitist fucking attitude. By the way how the fuck do you know if this network show is any good if you dont watch it. And since you don't shut the fuck up. And for the record the Mentalist ended years ago. If you want to be current try Criminal Minds, and Stranger Things = watched more than any of the shit you watch.

Alex you continue to tell yourself that paying extra for Home Box Office givrs you the best of the best. Gullibility is your best feature.

Network TV used to be a lot more varied though. These days it seems to be a conveyor belt wasteland of forensic/detective procedural shows - how many times do we need to see the same damn murder case being solved over and over?!

Just now, The Original said:

... how many times do we need to see the same damn murder case being solved over and over?!

Not even once, if you would ask me. And if I do watch network TV, it's always vintage series like Columbo (even though it's quite naive in nature). I did love that show as a kid ...

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Depends on your tastes, I guess. I can't watch shows like NCIS, CIA, Bones or The Mentalist, not even if you paid me. 

How would you know if you  have never watched? But you will watch a meth addict murder a child and call it great tv?

3 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

How would you know if you  have never watched? 

Surely you must understand that I've seen bits and pieces of it? Those ordinary shows are constantly on the commercial channels here. It's like torture. And they never seem to stop.

I really must cancel my network subscription one of these days. 

Space 1999 is one. TV's most scientifically accurate show of all time. 

On 7/18/2019 at 10:47 PM, Quintus said:

It's not pretentious, Lee; PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK is a beautiful film.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:14 AM, The Original said:

Australians tend to find Australian movies a real drag.

How can a country that has such a great film industry (THE LAST WAVE; MY BEAUTIFUL CAREER; GALLIPOLI; THE STUNT MAN; THE CARS THAT ATE PARIS, etc., etc.) Have such a bad TV industry? I mean...NEIGHBOURS (!).

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

How can a country that had such a great film industry (THE LAST WAVE; MY BEAUTIFUL CAREER; GALLIPOLI; THE STUNT MAN; THE CARS THAT ATE PARIS, etc., etc.) Have such a bad TV industry? I mean...NEIGHBOURS (!).

Fixed.

10 hours ago, The Original said:

Realistic and relatable!

I have never know any family that's had that happen. I do know several people who were murdered but they were a gay so they derserved it.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Why is it so amazingly accurate, Joe?

Its not,  i was being facetious. However the model work and effects are still pretty damed good for the era, 

20 hours ago, Quintus said:

I was already just that brutally discerning even at that early age.

You are wrong GE. The effects are still terrific. The human aspects are iffy at best. Still I would rather watch UFO from a few years earlier. 

Its so easy to be critical of these older shows. There is no denying their flaws but we the audience had few shows in the 60's and 70's that  were sci-fi themed and effects driven. It was not like today were there are literally dozens upon dozens to choose from.

It's makes me chuckle thinking how much I loved Stargate SG-1 during its run, but it really never evolved much over the years, it remained a Saturday morning cartoon with A-Team style theatrics and American bravado. This carried over to Stargate Atlantis almost untouched. That is until they got a bit ambitious and made Stargate Universe, which tried to get on the serialised dark and disturbing snob TV bandwagon, but the fans hated it for it. Was SGU ahead of its time?

Chernobyl

Incredibly tense thriller of a miniseries. It isn’t until episode three that it lets you breathe a little. I was sucked in from the moment it started. Very Villeneuve. Imagine the border scene from Sicario taught over 2 hours. With Hildur Guonadottir scoring, its seems like it was an intentional stylistic choice as well. I personally thought it paid off in spades. I have some minor quibbles but in the grand scheme of it they’re not even worth mentioning. 

The sci-fi show Another Life on Netflix is horrifically bad. But what is really shocking is that Katee 'Starbuck' Sackhoff suffers from Jennifer Connelism

AL_101_00087-75164ea.jpg

Katee_Sackhoff.jpg

I watched the first 3 episodes with my wife when it came out. It sounded like a cool premise, and I love Ronald D Moore's work. However I gave up on it at that point and don't regret it.

Marcy has stayed with it the whole time and so every once in a while I catch some of it if she's watching and it's pretty soapy. All the time travel stuff was really just setup to tell romance stories in costumes. 

The score by Bear McCreary is great though, no complaints there.