What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Silicon Valley 6x07 Exit Event

:pukeface:Terrible end to a lame final season to a once-great show.

Making the final storyline being based off of Gilfoyle's AI being an actual global threat was such silly writing, and beyond that, having them so quickly and thoroughly believing the only solution was to tank their entire company was just so, so dumb.  The show had never been fully grounded in reality but it at least started very reality-adjacent and they've gone sooo far into sci-fi land by the end here and it just didn't work for me.

I also didn't like that they combined this final story with the 10-years-later documentary idea into the same episode and bloated it up to 48 minutes.  Instead, they should have had that storyline be a normal episode 7 (with the normal opening credits - I was seriously looking forward to hearing that one last time!!), and the make the documentary idea as full fledged 30 minute episode 8.  Actually explain better what everyone was up to 10 years later, actually make the documentarian searching for Erlich but finding Jian-Yang being a fully developed and much more elaborate and funny scene instead of a half-baked joke.

Huge disappointment, and my expectations were already low.  Oh well.

First Veep then Silicon ending weak this year.  Let's hope Good Place and Schitt's Creek break that trend next year.

Definitely watch the next episode regardless;  Every episode has a different style and tone and cast so you may like others much more.  It's a fun show that makes you think about a lot of different stuff

Fleabag. Brilliant. Had it on my watch list for a while, and binged it within a few days (luckily I didn't have much time lately, or I would probably have watched it all in one sitting).

My wife and I have been watching Star Trek Enterprise every other night. We just got done with season 3 tonight.  She has never seen it before but has liked what she has seen so far.  She really liked season 3, as do I. Although season 4 in my opinion has always been the best one but season 3 definitely has always been strong.

1 minute ago, Þekþiþm said:

It's great!

I heard people saying: "Oh, no, it's a new writer and it sucks", but luckily, I didn't notice that yet. 

3 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Why are Friends and Frasier more popular than Seinfeld? I mean, how is that possible??

Because to most people Seinfeld was a show about nothing.

It's curious that, even after all those thinkpieces saying how "problematic" and "dated" Friends is, it's still a beloved show, and probably the most streamed show on Netflix. I mean, Gen Xrs watched it live when it aired the first time, then millenials catched it on countless reruns and eventually on Netflix, and now Gen Zrs are watching and rewatching it on Netflix again.

So yeah, these young and hip journalists that write for Buzzfeed and stuff like that may say the show is "problematic", but apparently it's a timeless show for young people.

Netflix losing Friends, as well as The Office, will open a hole on their catalogue that no Stranger Things will be able to fulfill.

I don't think Friends is "problematic".  Just annoying, unfunny, and filled with unlikable characters.  Of course Seinfeld's characters are unlikable, but there it's part of the (brilliant) humor.  I don't think anyone who worked on Friends realized what narcissistic monsters those people were; a very un-self-aware show.

That's just always been my impression of the show since I was young.  Obviously many others feel very differently.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't think Friends is "problematic".  Just annoying, unfunny, and filled with unlikable characters.  Of course Seinfeld's characters are unlikable, but there it's part of the (brilliant) humor. 

So to you the characters of both Friends and Seinfeld are unlikable? Strange, I really like the Seinfeld characters. I don't give a sh!t about the ones of Friends. The reason why I like the Seinfeld characters is because they are the opposite of the ones we see in Friends.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Netflix losing Friends, as well as The Office, 

I know The Office was removed from Netflix UK but I'm still able to access the show on Netflix US with a VPN.

13 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I know The Office was removed from Netflix UK but I'm still able to access the show on Netflix US with a VPN.

NBC will release its own streaming service, the Peacock, set to launch in April 2020. Then, once the contract with Netflix expires, The Office will movie to Peacock, which is set to happen by January 2021. Parks & Rec will also be on Peacock by October 2020.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/parks-recreation-acquired-peacock-join-the-office-nbcu-streaming-service-1202736698/

The same thing with Friends, Warner's streaming service HBO Max will be the only place to watch it when it releases next May.

20 hours ago, Quintus said:

Deliciously wicked episode that one.

The good old days...back when Black Mirror still had some bite.

5 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

NBC will release its own streaming service, the Peacock, set to launch in April 2020. Then, once the contract with Netflix expires, The Office will movie to Peacock, which is set to happen by January 2021. Parks & Rec will also be on Peacock by October 2020.

https://deadline.com/2019/09/parks-recreation-acquired-peacock-join-the-office-nbcu-streaming-service-1202736698/

The same thing with Friends, Warner's streaming service HBO Max will be the only place to watch it when it releases next May.

Good God...another one?? This streaming thing is getting out of hand...

48 minutes ago, KK said:

Good God...another one?? This streaming thing is getting out of hand...

Yes.  In terms of "major" streaming services (meaning excluding specialty niche ones like The Criterion Channel, BritBox, etc.) there will be:

Netflix

Amazon Prime

Hulu

CBS All Access

Disney+

HBO Max

Peacock

Apple TV+ (added to this post later)

Did I miss one?

An equilibrium will be found by 10 years from now I'd wager, but in the meantime, pretty expensive if they all happen to have shows/films you're interested in (and you're not willing to pirate).

I suppose it depends on your definition of "major" whether or not Apple TV, HBO Go/Now, DC Universe, and the Youtube one (Youtube Red?) count

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

I suppose it depends on your definition of "major" whether or not Apple TV, HBO Go/Now, DC Universe, and the Youtube one (Youtube Red?) count

I should have included Apple TV+ for sure.  It sort of comes down to their apparent ambition.  Youtube Premium does not seem to have the ambitions of the ones I'm calling "major", where it's obvious they want to compete directly with Netflix on the same level of cultural ubiquity/penetration.

On 12/10/2019 at 4:01 PM, Jay said:

Silicon Valley 6x07 Exit Event

[...]

I also didn't like that they combined this final story with the 10-years-later documentary idea into the same episode and bloated it up to 48 minutes.  Instead, they should have had that storyline be a normal episode 7 (with the normal opening credits - I was seriously looking forward to hearing that one last time!!), and the make the documentary idea as full fledged 30 minute episode 8. 

And now HBO's gone and released a 30 minute version of just the 10 Years Later part

So why the hell did they cut this in half and cram it into everything else that happened in episode 7, instead of letting episode 7 be it's own thing and this be episode 8?  Stupid.

Modern Family 11x09

Manny is the worst.  A lot of the plots made no sense.  After 11 years to continually do stories that are basically "there's a situation because person a didn't tell person b something they should have" gets so tiring.  At least they figured out how to make Lilly be good comic relief.

Saturday Night Live 45x09 Scarlett Johansson / Niall Horan

ScarJo has always been good at this and this was no exception. That hot tub sketch had one of the weirdest setups I've ever seen.  Multiple times the entire cast got to be together which was nice, it wasn't just the Kate & Kenan hour this week.  Twice ScarJo was paired with Kenan and they worked really well together.  Funny stuff.

Game Of Thrones: Final Season Episode 3

giphy.gif

I'm not the kinda guy who loves battles, but the ones in GOT always succeed to absorb me. And even though the outcome of this battle was getting more and more predictable as it progressed (you knew there was only one solution), it was still a surprise to see how exactly it happened. 

The slaughter of Hardhome (pictured) was spectacular. The siege of Winterfell, absolutely terrible. It was near incompetent. 

On a basic battle choreography level, the way the melee unfolded was baffling incompetent. But the worst part for me was Arya in videogame stealth mode. The way she sneaked around those strategically placed zombies, as if inserted by a game developer, using those conveniently placed bookcases(?) for over the shoulder cover... it was a scene straight out of Metal Gear Solid. Embarrassingly bad.

The latest episode of Rick and Morty involved the duo happening on a world inhabited by a civilization of intelligent snakes, (basically just like earth now, but with snakes instead of humans) which because of the accidental initiation of first contact by the titular characters they ended up impacting the snake world's social trajectory, the byproduct of which was the rise of fascism on their planet and the eventual annihilation of their species. So in order to fix it the now technologically advanced surviving snakes sent back in time a robot snake, John Connor style, to change the outcome of their destiny... or something like that. I was tired. But there was this whole Sarah Connor narration sequence that matched the grim intro of T2, and it was awesome.

So yeah, just another regular episode of Rick and Morty.

oCdq1ug.jpg

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

The slaughter of Hardhome (pictured) was spectacular. The siege of Winterfell, absolutely terrible. It was near incompetent. 

Indeed. I loved the battle of Hardhome, it was frightening, well filmed and well choreographed.

The siege of Winterfell pales in comparison.

Does anyone else here watch a lot of LotR clips on YouTube? The battle scenes ones in particular... a very common reaction I see on them now is commentators chiming in to say they "came here seeking refuge after the utter disappointment of the Game of Thrones finale battle sequences." Lol.

You only have to scroll down a bit to soon find them, on what seems like most LotR YouTube vids.

5 hours ago, Þekþiþm said:

Despite the darkness and other silly bits, it was a good episode. Not sure what all the complaining was about.

To me, the big silly bit is when ...

Spoiler

The Hound was giving up the fight, until a bloke said "Really? What about her then?!" (pointing at a struggling Arya Stark) which revitalized The Hound in a heartbeat.

Yes, there's always a few silly bits here and there, but when most of it is good, I can kinda overlook them.

I admit, it wasn't the best GOT battle ever, but still, it managed to draw me in. Heck, this episode lasted 66 minutes and I hardly noticed it.

I thought the packaged boyfriend episode of Black Mirror was one of the weaker episodes, but it certainly wasn't one of very worst. There was an effective poignancy about it. Wasn't there one called The Waldo Moment, or something like that in the same season? That was really boring.

I liked that episode as pure entertainment... I liked the scenes of the dragon flying and burning the city, it reminded me of some catastrophe movies from the 90s, lol. 

If you use that old excuse people use for Michael Bay/Roland Emmerich films ("just turn your brain off, don't pay attention to the plot, and have fun!), you can enjoy the episode. But yeah, once you start thinking about the script... :blink::blink::(:(:(

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Of course you do.

Everyone hated the final season, so you will love it, and say people misunderstood it.

Textbook Cremers.

In a Spielberg war movie, it would have been silly and corny. But here, in a Fantasy tale, it was actually rather beautiful.

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

If you use that old excuse people use for Michael Bay/Roland Emmerich films ("just turn your brain off, don't pay attention to the plot, and have fun!), you can enjoy the episode. But yeah, once you start thinking about the script... :blink::blink::(:(:(

What exactly is it that everyone and their brother has a problem with? And are the complainers the same people who love to defend The Last Jedi with their lives?

Mr. Robot 4x11 eXit

Very very cool, the ultimate showdown between Elliot & Whiterose was so well written and well acted!  Before that, the final scene with Elliot and Darlene was also really well done, amazing growth seen over the course of 4 years.  Loved the moment when she acknowledged Mr Robot too.  The final 15 minute mindfuck was interesting.  I was getting strong ENEMY (Denis Villenue film) vibes from it, and then the very ending of course made me chuckle!

Can't wait for the finale Sunday night!

Game Of Thrones Season 8, the very last episode.

17-Helen-Sloan-HBO.jpg

Closure is rarely interesting.

But now the gods have given me:

image-The-Witcher-social-media-banner-Ne

The gods have great timing!

I'm quietly confident that The Witcher might turn out decent enough, because there's definitely huge potential there, especially with Netflix's cash behind it. Moreover, it turns out that Cavill is an expert on the fiction (including the media adaptations), so he'll have a deep understanding of his character going in. It helps. And besides, maiden seasons are rarely much more than a foundation for potential greatness beyond that. So benefit of the doubt; it doesn't have to be amazing, just intriguing enough to have potential.

Final Space - season 2

Better than season 1, which already was surprisingly good. More emotional, more complex, some interesting new characters, great development of the lore, great action scenes, good score (which is rare for most animated TV shows - actually, TV shows in general). 

I still think the series has difficult handling the comedy with the drama. Sometimes, there's some complex lore exposition, a very emotional and dramatic scene and then a silly joke. It's like the series hasn't decided if it wants to be a comedy and a parody of space operas, or something more dramatic and epic.

Anyway, do yourselves a favor, instead of watching the horrendous space opera movie on theaters right now, just stay home and binge the two seasons of this great animation. It's cheaper and you'll be happier!