Jay

What is the last Television series you watched?

Mr. Robot 4x11 eXit

Very very cool, the ultimate showdown between Elliot & Whiterose was so well written and well acted!  Before that, the final scene with Elliot and Darlene was also really well done, amazing growth seen over the course of 4 years.  Loved the moment when she acknowledged Mr Robot too.  The final 15 minute mindfuck was interesting.  I was getting strong ENEMY (Denis Villenue film) vibes from it, and then the very ending of course made me chuckle!

Can't wait for the finale Sunday night!

I'm quietly confident that The Witcher might turn out decent enough, because there's definitely huge potential there, especially with Netflix's cash behind it. Moreover, it turns out that Cavill is an expert on the fiction (including the media adaptations), so he'll have a deep understanding of his character going in. It helps. And besides, maiden seasons are rarely much more than a foundation for potential greatness beyond that. So benefit of the doubt; it doesn't have to be amazing, just intriguing enough to have potential.

Final Space - season 2

Better than season 1, which already was surprisingly good. More emotional, more complex, some interesting new characters, great development of the lore, great action scenes, good score (which is rare for most animated TV shows - actually, TV shows in general). 

I still think the series has difficult handling the comedy with the drama. Sometimes, there's some complex lore exposition, a very emotional and dramatic scene and then a silly joke. It's like the series hasn't decided if it wants to be a comedy and a parody of space operas, or something more dramatic and epic.

Anyway, do yourselves a favor, instead of watching the horrendous space opera movie on theaters right now, just stay home and binge the two seasons of this great animation. It's cheaper and you'll be happier!

Just watched it. 

It's not really *good*, but good enough for a Netflix production. The Witcher has a cool voice, it moves swiftly, the medieval sets are nice, some cool shots and the heavy video game aesthetic is at least appropriate here, as it is a video game.

Still, all the big battles and set pieces feel very pixelish in movement and especially the artificial grading (that 20 years after LOTR feels like a parody) and the music is perfunctory and robotic (it seems to elude decisionmakers at Netflix that music can give a scene a poetic dimension that may enrich it). The casual slang in the dialogue isn't maybe the best idea for a different universe set in a kind of dark age, and the british and american accents do not match. 

Perfectly watchable but disappointing in the details...there's just nothing, no element (save for parts of the visual design) that makes you go 'wow', but for recent streaming standards it's good. The lack of good music in fantasy movies - at least on the level of JNH's Huntsman movies - continues to annoy me greatly.

14 minutes ago, publicist said:

Perfectly watchable but disappointing in the details...there's just nothing, no element (save for parts of the visual design) that makes you go 'wow', but for recent streaming standards it's good.

I like the books and love the games, nothing in the trailers made me think I must watch this. Guess that impression was correct.

I watched FX's & the BBC's A Christmas Carol. They said Fuck about a dozen times. They turned Scrooge into this irredeemable lecherous would be rapist. It was an interesting but bizzare take on the tale. After reading the book dozens of times I keep missing the dirty words and the horrifying backstory of Scrooge's evil father and the headmaster. 

23 hours ago, publicist said:

Perfectly watchable but disappointing in the details...there's just nothing, no element (save for parts of the visual design) that makes you go 'wow', but for recent streaming standards it's good. The lack of good music in fantasy movies - at least on the level of JNH's Huntsman movies - continues to annoy me greatly.

The main theme and songs seem to have gone viral - specially Toss a coin to your witcher.

There's a song montage - half Bob Dylan, half minstrel song - that's a new Hanging Tree, or at least it's designed that way. My main complaint, and it feels like Dante's Inferno having to raise it again and again, is that apart from the 'pop' elements that underscore hardly *does* anything. It hovers there, there's no poetry, no dramatic scene shaping, it's just a waste of time for composers working for Netflix these days. It seems they are getting paid for avoiding writing real music for as long they can.

His Dark Materials 1x07 The Fight to the Death

How did Lyra survive falling out of the balloon?  Why did Lee crash? Why does Ms Coulter want to kill Asriel now?  Despite those questions, the bulk of the episode was good.  I loved the way Lyra thought on her feet and tricked Iofur into fighting Iorek and how all that played out.  Shame about the TV14 rating hiding all the violence though.  The alt world stuff with Will finally getting the letters but having to kill in self defense along the way, I hope there's a good payoff for this long subplot because the Lyra story has been way more compelling all season.  The cliffhanger ending leads me to think next week's finale will be heart breaking!

Mr. Robot 4x12 whoami

That was pretty dope, I enjoyed watching "our" Elliot go through the alt reality from the previous episode, and explaining little things like his dad's broken phone and the broken glass in Angela's apartment. But no explanation for the missing wallet?  Pretty neat that this Elliot had his own "hidden partition" of FSociety dreams.  Brutal murder at the end!  Oh, and playing Mr Roboto over the opening was awesome.

Mr. Robot 4x13 Hello, Elliot

A pretty good, pretty satisfying finale.  I like that it focused on Elliot, and that it made it clear how the final reveals about him (the one from earlier in the season and the one in this episode) were clearly baked into the show from episode 1, and never changed, and that entire aspect was satisfying in every way and makes total sense.

The only disappointment was therefore the.. I suppose ancillary story, what was actually thought of to be the main plot of the show - the entire war between fsociety and Whiterose.  In the end, it almost seems like all of that (after 5/9) was not necessarily part of the original plan... it was all just entertainment to enjoy as what turned out to be the actual main story (Elliot's story) slowly bubbled along until that paid off.  This means that all lingering questions (What happened during the missing 3 days on 5/9?  What did Whiterose show Angela?  What was the blue light Tyrell saw? What EXACTLY was Whiterose's machine supposed to do?  What did she show her followers to get them to stick with her?  What will the world be like after the redistribution of the Deus group's money?) simply have no answers at all, which as I am sitting here now is disappointing to me, but I think I won't feel quite the same way over time.  I look forward to seeing if Sam Esmail will give any answers to some of these in interviews, and look forward even more into whatever his next show is.

My wife and I just got done watching Star Trek Enterprise.  She really liked it but liked Season 3 the most like I did. We both liked Season 4 quite a bit but Season 3 was the winner for us.

Supposedly it had to do with child labor laws, since Dafne Keen is still underage they can only film so much with her per day/week, so they constructed the entire season to be a blend of Lyra and Will's stories instead of just following Lyra's story like the first book/movie did.  I guess it kinda works.

We haven't watched episode 8 yet

Rick and Morty - Season 4

Less serialized than the previous season, the new batch of episodes is more stand-alone, which is no way a bad thing. The writers returned from their 2 year hiatus (!) with insane stories, that go from a bizarre premise and only become more and more surreal as they go on, like a literal descent into madness. It's basically my favorite kind of humour, so I like it.

The scripts goes from dick / sex jokes to pop culture satires to surprisingly dark moments. That said, these first 5 episodes were more consistently funnier than the show have been in a long time. I had a stomach ache and was rolling on the floor with Rick going through several fascist realities and the wasp-like version of the family casually devouring Morty's teacher as he screams.

Saturday Night Live 45x10 Eddie Murphy / Lizzo

That was pretty good.  What was most impressive was probably the parade of previous castmembers, between the cold open sketch and the monologue, it was quite the site to see.  Most of the skits were funny, though we probably laughed hardest at Weekend Update

The Witcher epi 1.

Better than I was expecting, in fact I ended up really getting into it. There's an effective sense of rising tension during the finale of this opener, the high stakes of which are laid out quiet elegantly, all things considered - these are brand new characters and fiction, so I'm impressed that the director made me care. Near the beginning of the episode, that was never predicted to happen by me.

So yeah, the central plot macguffin has already bed in quite well and I'm keen to carry on.

Visual design and filming wise, it mostly looks the part and I bought into the world, but I do not like the heavy use of vignetting in certain scenes at all, it cheapens the look of it for my tastes and I hope they tone it down in future seasons. Cavill nails his look though, and his sparing Clint Eastwood gruff comes with just enough charisma for you to latch on to something. Let's see how he handles more detail later.

I don't entirely agree with pub about the music. I think the underscore is already a step up from Thrones, and well, at least they use real instruments here. I thought I heard an actual orchestra anyway, and it was nice and dramatic at least on one occasion. What The Witcher is really lacking though is a strong main theme and opening credits sequence. This deserves a signature theme tune. They should work on that for S2, but probably won't do.

Oh yeah - the sword fights were fucking badass! Imagine Jason Bourne with longswords...

3W8JOqt.jpg

Just finished season 1 of The Witcher. Was okay for the most part - great visuals, sets, camera work, but kind of a rushed and muddled plot. Names and places, races and wars are dumped in quick exposition in such a way that I didn't care about certain characters or plots. Each episode was an hour long but it never justified or felt like that time was well spent. 

Henry Cavill is actually alright as Geralt, something I was surprised by, and for the most part, so was the rest of the cast who deliver solid performances. I just can't shake the feeling, for all the show's epic qualities, how small it still feels, like a television drama.

I'll keep watching, but it's not something I'm desperate to see more of.

17 hours ago, Quintus said:

I don't entirely agree with pub about the music. I think the underscore is already a step up from Thrones, and well, at least they use real instruments here. I thought I heard an actual orchestra anyway, and it was nice and dramatic at least on one occasion.

One occasion after how much hours of *music*? The art form has a real problem when even soundtrack fans set the bar at carpet edge height.