What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Does your device put the HBO MAX logo of that size permanently on your screen while watching?  Or only when you're paused or something?

We play HBO Max through the PS4 and I don't recall seeing a logo onscreen while watching things

That's how it appears on YouTube. I thought it was obnoxious AF, but it was free so I couldn't really complain. I don't think HBO is actually available in the UK. I was just about to torrent the episode, when I learned YouTube had the first episode for free. 

2 hours ago, PuhgreÞiviÞm said:

HBO Max is not available in Australia. Instead, Foxtel gets first dibs on HBO shows.

No HBO availability at all here. Some of their content is syndicated out through Sky though, including Lovecraft Country. 

We've been watching Living With Yourself with Paul Rudd.  It's great!

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcS7fDAM6r8wfVBzYBo0q

The wife is played by Aisling Bea, an Irish actress I was unfamiliar with; She's great!

23 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Even though it's a comedy, I didn't think it's all that funny but it's OK.

I think people might only call it a "comedy" because it's 30 minutes instead of 60 each episode, but yea it's really a drama with some funny parts more than a comedy for sure.

I really like the structure, where you follow the original guy for an episode, then the next rewinds and you see some of the same scenes from the clone's perspective and the it goes forward from there, then the next one is back to the original guy revisiting those scenes then going forward, etc.  Then at one point you get the wife's perspective on everything so far and then going forward, etc.

Will be watching S2.

Has it even been renewed for another season?  Or was it just a one-off thing?

3 hours ago, Jay said:

but yea it's really a drama with some funny parts more than a comedy for sure.

In a way it's a true science fiction show about the pros and cons of cloning. 

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It was good indeed. Although, to be honest, the other two were solid enough as well. Better than the rest of the Marvel-Netflix bunch anyway.

Karol

I can take only so many Ninja battles before I change the channel.

8 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I can take only so many Ninja battles before I change the channel.

They're all overlong seasons. Should have been 8 episodes max.

Karol

We are giving Brooklyn 99 another go. I keep hearing how hilarious this is supposed to be, but I barely crack a smile. I tolerate the main character in the hope it's suddenly about to get really funny, as the internet tells me it is. We're 5 episodes in. Should I bail now?

It doesn't really change but you might get attached. It's the kind of goofy characterizations and humour that people find endearing over time.

I found it pretty annoying and quit at first. But eventually warmed up to it on the second time around.

It's pretty consistent across its 7 seasons.  Season 1 they tried a few things they eventually abandoned and never mention again, like Boyle having a crush on Rosa.

Also if you don't like the Gina character, she eventually leaves the show when the actress got pregnant in real life

it also becomes more of a true ensemble and less of 'the andy samberg show" after the first season as well

That's my approach. Sometimes I don't mind putting in the leg work to make it to the good stuff. Seinfeld for eg. Although that was easier because the first season was very short.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's pretty consistent across its 7 seasons.  Season 1 they tried a few things they eventually abandoned and never mention again, like Boyle having a crush on Rosa.

Also if you don't like the Gina character, she eventually leaves the show when the actress got pregnant in real life

it also becomes more of a true ensemble and less of 'the andy samberg show" after the first season as well

I honestly don't like any of the characters save maybe Terry and Rosa.

The straight-faced Captain Holt becomes pretty funny too.

The other characters mellow down over the seasons. Or rather the ensemble starts to work much better.

They also start using Hitchcock and Scully more, add in good recurring characters (Doug Judy, Trudy Judy, Pimento, Wunch, The Vulture, and of course Kevin Cozner)

I don't think an of those were in the first season apart from Kevin

2629984.png

It's like watching 8 different Matthew Weiner movies because they are all completely different stories and are around 90 min. in length. Episodes 1, 2 and 8 are my favorites? What are yours? Speak up! Don't be shy!

0ee2188938afbcd3aaeb7ae5dab74f6116-22-th

180815-the_romanoffs-still-3-dh-1614_657

First episode of Away. After the European feel of The Romanoffs, this show is kind of unbearable. It has that kind of American sentimentalism that I'm simply not a fan of. 

Away_logo_temp.jpg

I was hoping for a better version of Mars, that other TV show, but unfortunately, no such luck. I don't know what it is, but somehow all Mars movies and TV shows turn out to be garbage, except for the first hour of The Martian.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

First episode of Away. After the European feel of The Romanoffs, this show is kind of unbearable. It has that kind of American sentimentalism that I'm simply not a fan of. 

We started that last night, got two episodes in, but none of the characters is particularly likeable. I've never liked Hillary Swank so I feel zero emotional attachment to her character. I'm not sure if we'll continue or not. 

We also started Dark Matter, but after seeing that it gets canceled after its third season cliffhanger, we probably won't commit to it. 

21 minutes ago, who cares said:

I've never liked Hillary Swank so I feel zero emotional attachment to her character.

Yeah, I never liked her either. A lot has to do with that boxing movie she was in. 

We just got caught up on that!  The Aisha Tyler version I mean, we've now seen every episode

Does HBO Max have that version, or the Drew Carey one?  Or the old Clive Anderson one?

15 minutes ago, Jay said:

We just got caught up on that!  The Aisha Tyler version I mean, we've now seen every episode

Does HBO Max have that version, or the Drew Carey one?  Or the old Clive Anderson one?

The Drew Carey one from the 90s. 

There's one MAJOR problem with the Aisha Tyler version, and that is that in most episodes they bring out a "special guest" for either 1, 2, or 3 sketches.  This special guest is most often some random actor from some random CW show you've never heard of before (though it is occasionally a talented comedian).  Those are almost always the low point of any episode, so don't feel back if you skip past those sketches.

Luckily, as the Tyler seasons go on, they bring in these "special guests" less and less, in fact we recently watched one glorious season where they only had a guest in like 4 or 5 of the 20 or so episodes

Anybody else been watching Lovecraft Country?

So far, as a Lovecraft fan, I'm disappointed. The show has little to do with Lovecraft's writing, and instead focuses on a dull plot about magic.

The good thing about the show is its depictions and criticisms of racism, which makes it very relevant. The production values and the score are great as well. 

I just wished that the characters, besides fighting institutional racism, also fought against Cthulhu and Yog Sothoth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prodigal_Son_(TV_series)

Am enjoying this ... it's a network police procedural yes, but the deeply twisted family dynamic at the heart of it adds some spice. Decent cast, too - Tom Payne, Lou Diamond Phillips, Halston Sage :lovethis: and Michael Sheen.   

I'm still really bummed Halston Sage left The Orville for that show

The character that replaced her will forever live in her shadow