What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

No one complained other than Bruce Marshall. There is no forced diversity.

I’m now 4 episodes into Bly Manor. It’s a much more subtle and slower affair than Hill House. Feels more like one long film, as opposed to an episodic narrative. Not much has yet to happen nearly half way through, and while the atmosphere and tension are nice, I hope there’s a satisfying conclusion to all the build-up. 

Sorta agree. I'm three episodes in but I did feel my attention drifting away for the first time during the kids' performance.

Watch Jackie Robinson Slay Cthulhu in the Full Premiere Episode of "Lovecraft  Country" Free on YouTube! - Bloody Disgusting

Lovecraft Country, episodes 1-5 (first half of the season)

This show is... all over the place.

Episode 1 is monsters in the woods, episode 2 is wizards casting spells in an old castle, episode 3 is a haunted house, episode 4 is a Goonies-esque underground tunnel adventure complete with booby traps and skeletons guarding treasure, episode 5 is polyjuice-potion-esque body swapping.  It's like X-Files where you never know what paranormal event you are getting each week - but instead of FBI agents investigating each different thing, the main characters are a group of 1950's Chicago residents who seem to accept the fact that magic is real pretty quickly and then just try to survive in racist times while figuring out their family's history to explain it's connection to these different paranormal events.

There's Atticus (Jonathan Majors), a Korean war vet, Montrose (Michael K. Williams), his estranged father, George (Courtney B. Vance), his loving uncle, Hippolyta (Aunjanue Ellis), his star-gazing aunt, Leti (Jurnee Smollett) his childhood friend and fellow sci-fi nerd, and Ruby (Wunmi Mosaku), Leti's estranged sister.  When they aren't fighting the paranormal, half the time they spend dealing with racist white guys (arrested them for no reason, burning crosses in their yards, invading their homes, trying to rape them, etc), and half the time investigating some over-arching plot the writers are trying to tell about some ancient cult called the Sons of Adam whose goals aren't really established yet halfway through the season, but seem to need Atticus because of his blood (his ancestor was a slave raped by a founding member of the cult).

This isn't prestige TV, it's pulp TV.  It's never really boring but it isn't super great either.  We just kinda enjoy and laugh at the silliness.  You can't take anything seriously.  Oh, and the special effects do get better after the abysmal CGI of the monsters in the woods in the first episode

19 hours ago, AC1 said:

Sorta agree. I'm three episodes in but I did feel my attention drifting away for the first time during the kids' performance.

It gets worse. Just finished it. Only episode I really enjoyed was 5. 

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I caught the first two episodes. It's awfully boring. And the kids aren't very good.

Should I give up?

3 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Episode 4 was terrible with everyone sitting around the bonfire while drinking from the bottle and telling sad stories (with a sad piano music score in the background). The first two episodes were acceptable thanks to the introduction of all the characters, the interaction with the governess and the children, but now that's over, I'm not seeing anything good. 

So that's a yes then.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one getting annoyed by the sad Starks theme knockoff from the first season getting played ad nauseum.

13 hours ago, AC1 said:

Episode 4 was terrible with everyone sitting around the bonfire while drinking from the bottle and telling sad stories (with a sad piano music score in the background). The first two episodes were acceptable thanks to the introduction of all the characters, the interaction with the governess and the children, but now that's over, I'm not seeing anything good. 

13 hours ago, KK said:

So that's a yes then.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one getting annoyed by the sad Starks theme knockoff from the first season getting played ad nauseum.

“Perfectly splendid” is the best thing out of the whole season.

It honestly has a fairly neat idea on the afterlife that is similar to LOST, but it’s disguised and executed as a lame ghost story. Episode 5 is more or less “The Constant,” and I enjoyed it for those parallels. But that’s about it. 

On 10/14/2020 at 8:02 PM, Koray Savas said:

No one complained other than Bruce Marshall. There is no forced diversity.

This doesn’t mean it’s “forced” or not, or whether it’s something to “complain” about or not, but it’s surely “something“ that is on the pop culture radar.

‘Haunting of Bly Manor’: How a Retelling of a Classic Can Champion Diversity

Anyone else watched Hunting Of Bly Manor to the end?

What do you think?

My opinion:

Spoiler

After the two opening episodes, which I thought were strong and menacing, my God, what a drag it all turned out to be in the end.

A big, air sucking, slow, sigh of a show.

On 10/16/2020 at 4:46 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

I've started to rewatch SIX FEET UNDER. It's hard to think that this show is almost twenty years old.

It's still the finest American TV drama series, this century.

Indeed, Richard! I have every season on DVD. I suppose they never released it on blu-ray, right? 

On 10/18/2020 at 1:45 PM, rough cut said:

What do you think?

I stopped watching during episode 5. Couldn't take it any longer. At a certain point one wonders: What's the point? I'm not getting anything out of this.

21 hours ago, rough cut said:

On 10/15/2020 at 10:20 PM, Koray Savas said:

Just finished it. Only episode I really enjoyed was 5. 

It was probably around that point I realized the show had fallen of a cliff and had no chance of recovering

I'm still just about intrigued by why where it ends up though, plus I hear S2 does get good (at some point). My wife is flagging though, and she was the main driving force behind our viewings up until now. 

And sometimes it's just easier to continue to watch boring but established characters/stories than it is to start up something completely new again. Don't you just hate that whole thing? Having to start new shows from scratch. It's a trust thing (or laziness). 

Started up Fargo season 2 again. It's been years, I recall we watched the first couple ages ago, but for whatever reason didn't carry on with it (probably some other big show returned and distracted). The opening 15 minutes of this season are terribly put together, but once we get to the diner shooting it suddenly locks on and gets good. I hear this is the series favourite. We'll see. 

In my experience everyone who watches the show has a different opinion of which season is best.  Plenty think 1 is the best, plenty think 2 is the best, plenty think 3 is the best.  You'll make your own decision.

For me, 1 is the best, 2 is the worst, and 3 is the 2nd best.  Many on JWFan like 2 more than I did.

We pretty much all agree it's a great show and worth watching every season!

The current season 4 is terrific so far

I finally got around to watching the first episode of The Mandalorian. Long story short: I'm bored to tears with Star Wars now but I kept being hounded into watching this by work mates, so I eventually relented last night. 

Well it was perfect. I absolutely frickin' loved it! Every single aspect of the way it was done - from the way it was shot, the spartan dialogue, the tone, the music... I thought they nailed it all. 

This should be the template for general Star Wars media moving forward. 

On 10/15/2020 at 11:23 AM, Jay said:

Watch Jackie Robinson Slay Cthulhu in the Full Premiere Episode of "Lovecraft  Country" Free on YouTube! - Bloody Disgusting

Lovecraft Country, episodes 1-5 (first half of the season)

This show is... all over the place.

Episode 1 is monsters in the woods, episode 2 is wizards casting spells in an old castle, episode 3 is a haunted house, episode 4 is a Goonies-esque underground tunnel adventure complete with booby traps and skeletons guarding treasure, episode 5 is polyjuice-potion-esque body swapping.  It's like X-Files where you never know what paranormal event you are getting each week - but instead of FBI agents investigating each different thing, the main characters are a group of 1950's Chicago residents who seem to accept the fact that magic is real pretty quickly and then just try to survive in racist times while figuring out their family's history to explain it's connection to these different paranormal events.

There's Atticus (Jonathan Majors), a Korean war vet, Montrose (Michael K. Williams), his estranged father, George (Courtney B. Vance), his loving uncle, Hippolyta (Aunjanue Ellis), his star-gazing aunt, Leti (Jurnee Smollett) his childhood friend and fellow sci-fi nerd, and Ruby (Wunmi Mosaku), Leti's estranged sister.  When they aren't fighting the paranormal, half the time they spend dealing with racist white guys (arrested them for no reason, burning crosses in their yards, invading their homes, trying to rape them, etc), and half the time investigating some over-arching plot the writers are trying to tell about some ancient cult called the Sons of Adam whose goals aren't really established yet halfway through the season, but seem to need Atticus because of his blood (his ancestor was a slave raped by a founding member of the cult).

This isn't prestige TV, it's pulp TV.  It's never really boring but it isn't super great either.  We just kinda enjoy and laugh at the silliness.  You can't take anything seriously.  Oh, and the special effects do get better after the abysmal CGI of the monsters in the woods in the first episode

Lovecraft Country (@LovecraftHBO) | Twitter

Lovecraft Country, episodes 6-10 (second half of the season)

The show continued to be all over the place in it's second half.  We got Korean demon possession, alternate dimensions, a It Follows-esque monster pursuit, time travel, and more magic spells and potions.  Frankly the "monster of the week" approach kept things interesting through the entire middle of the series, but by the final 2 episodes things really get bogged down by having to wrap up this overarching story they'd been trying to tell.

Overall?  It's fine, decent enough entertainment.  Not anything special.  Stay away if you hate gore, because it's super gory, just buckets of blood and constant oozing of various body parts, mostly with cheap looking CGI.  Nice cast though.

I was halfway through the second episode and had to switch it off because I was ready for bed. That was about a month ago. Until now I'd actually forgotten I had even been watching this. Helluva an indictment. 

I think the first 3 episodes are the weakest of the season, until the final 2.  The middle of the run is when everything worked

It's never great.  It's always pretty goofy.  The themes they bring up are nice and the cast does fine with what they are given but this ain't no new prestige gem

Yeah, the pilot was pretty good, but from ep 2 onwards things got really dull. The later episodes were decent though, but I haven't watched the finale yet.

And for a show with the word "Lovecraft" on its name, where is the Elder Gods? Cthulhu? Yog Sothoth? Cultists? Instead, we got a boring plot about magic and secret societies, like a gorier version of Harry Potter. The only lovecraftian monsters we got were the Shoggoths.

It's an adaptation of a specific novel by Matt Ruff, not an attempt to adapt the entirety of Lovecraft's work

On 10/15/2020 at 10:20 PM, Koray Savas said:

So this turned out to be one massive fucking waste of time. Neither a good ghost story nor a good love story. Perfectly splendid shite. :rolleyes: