What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

On 11/30/2020 at 7:31 AM, KK said:

Funny you guys bring that up. I was thinking about finally taking the plunge with Six Feet Under this week. But like you say Alex, I also fear it might be a bit dated for me to enjoy now.

I'm revisiting this soon. LOVED it on first viewing.

I've started The Haunting of Bly Manor or whatever is the title in english.

They lost me with their ghosts trapped in temporal loops.

Marty!!!!

3 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Is that the same piano motif they used in TALES FROM THE LOOP?😒

I'm sure they did leave it on loop in Bly Manor. It's like it was composed by an artificial intelligence to resemble what a robot thinks "sad music" is and it was left to spot it wherever it recognised "sad bit in show".

3 minutes ago, The Big Man said:

I'm sure they did leave it on loop in Bly Manor. It's like it was composed by an artificial intelligence to resemble what a robot thinks "sad music" is and it was left to spot it wherever it recognised "sad bit in show".

I think the scenario was written by an artificial intelligence too!

15 hours ago, The Big Man said:

That show was shit. And that fucking piano motif that recycles again and again and again! Oh fuck I hated that show!

Amen!

First season was more watchable though.

11 hours ago, The Big Man said:

First one had some merit in its story, but farrrrrk me dead, the dialogue was so overwritten and felt way too stagey for me.

Yea, I meant to say the first one was* more watchable. And it had some actual decent scares up its belt.

But that string of Shakespearean monologues in the finale...was fucking hilarious!

10 hours ago, AC1 said:

But you guys watched it to the end, so there must have been something about this show that appealed to you.

It was a family watch and we wanted something "scary". The first was kind of fun. The second one was really painful.

On 12/10/2020 at 3:16 AM, The Big Man said:

That show was shit. And that fucking piano motif that recycles again and again and again! Oh fuck I hated that show!

Yup, Haunting of blu Manor was shit.

I watched the most recent episode of Star Trek Discovery  S2 (I lost count, the one where they go back to the mirror-verse)... Oh, jeeeeeez, the overacting! We get it! You’re the evil alter egos of the “normal” universe! I almost feel violated by the bad acting (or bad direction).

Still... so, uhm, anybody else besides me keep watching?

Aw I think he's funny

Once the show moves from Fox to TBS it gets way better, don't remember what season that was though

I don't think he's funny. There's only so many times you can repeat Mr S or babe. Also still do not understand why Haley would even like him. I mean, she's supposed to be an environmental activist and he's just... a complete idiot. Luckily Patrick Stewart is still around.

2 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Also still do not understand why Haley would even like him. I mean, she's supposed to be an environmental activist and he's just... a complete idiot

It's a comedy show, you're not supposed to think about things that way.  The reason is because it's funny this way.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I don't think he's funny. There's only so many times you can repeat Mr S or babe. Also still do not understand why Haley would even like him. I mean, she's supposed to be an environmental activist and he's just... a complete idiot. Luckily Patrick Stewart is still around.

Life is full of women who fall for complete jerks. 

You see one in my avatar. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Queen's gambit. What the hell is all the fuss about? It's just so long-winded! I would have preferred 4 episodes with more family drama and less chess. I'm gonna re-start watching orange is the new black.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s baffling to me that shows like Family Guy and American Dad are still running.

Some things just need to end. 

That's the sad fate of almost every adult animated sitcom: they continue for too long, and eventually they stop being funny.

My region of the UK has been assigned a 'Tier 4' Covid zone... so I'm off work for the foreseeable future. So getting back into television...

THE QUEEN'S GAMBIT

I'm four episodes in and absolutely hooked and loving it. Read mixed feedback (not least from this forum) but I think it's deeply engaging. And who would have thought that in this day we would witness a TV series about chess with such impressive production values. Good golly.

The score is damned good too. I hear a few of Horner's 'genius' influenced stylings (i.e. A Beautiful Mind) now and again.. but overall it's a superb score. 

7 hours ago, LSH said:

My region of the UK has been assigned a 'Tier 4' Covid zone... so I'm off work for the foreseeable future. So getting back into television...

THE QUEEN'S GAMBIT

I'm four episodes in and absolutely hooked and loving it. Read mixed feedback (not least from this forum) but I think it's deeply engaging. And who would have thought that in this day we would witness a TV series about chess with such impressive production values. Good golly.

The score is damned good too. I hear a few of Horner's 'genius' influenced stylings (i.e. A Beautiful Mind) now and again.. but overall it's a superb score. 

The music is certainly nice, but ultimately I find it just another floaty non-committal effort, indistinct from near endless well made dramas before it. The track list is the main highlight of the soundtrack, IMO.

The main theme is the only distinct thing about it, to be honest. And its appearances are too far and few between. The rest is pretty unremarkable.

I watched 10 minutes of Bridgerton on Netflix to see if it's for me. Yuk! It's not for me!

Bridgerton_Title_Card.png

Started with House Of Cards S4. It's a soap but it's very well made.

250px-House_of_Cards_season_4.png

On 12/28/2020 at 3:03 AM, Quintus said:

There's a main theme?

This:

Though I think it only ever really appears in full at the finale's end titles.

The Queen’s Gambit

Engaging and competently made period drama. The costume and production design steal the show. Narrative is a bit predictable and gets a little ridiculous towards the end, but I still enjoyed my time with it. The first 2 episodes are superb, and I was really smitten with that child actress. She did a phenomenal job in the role.

I’m up to Season 4 in my rewatch of Scrubs, but I’m taking a little break as I catch up on the podcast. Next up is Season 4 of Fargo

That's probably the most reasonable assessment of the show I've read so far. The whole thing seems a little blown out of proportion in terms of reputation.

But yes, ultimately it's a good showcase for Anya Taylor-Joy and production design. Otherwise, it's a fairly conventional assembly of familiar narrative tropes and clichés.

On 12/31/2020 at 3:32 AM, Koray Savas said:

The Queen’s Gambit

Narrative is a bit predictable ...

My predictions were completely wrong. I thought her underlying drinking problem would eventually stand in the way of true greatness and winning world cups. That's my only problem with the miniseries, it ended too rosy.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

My predictions were completely wrong. I thought her underlying drinking problem would eventually stand in the way of true greatness and winning world cups. That's my only problem with the miniseries, it ended too rosy.

Exactly, the whole substance abuse angle wasn’t utilized well. Jolene kinda swoops in as a deus ex machina and then everything is peachy afterwards. 

Got tired of seemingly everyone around me going on about it all the time, so I finally caved and watched the first episode of Cobra Kai.

Ooohhhhh shit, I'm so onboard with this. 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Got tired of seemingly everyone around me going on about it all the time, so I finally caved and watched the first episode of Cobra Kai.

Ooohhhhh shit, I'm so onboard with this. 

It gets worse.

Trust me.

I don't know if you can tell people here to trust you, when almost everyone here has different opinions than you on almost every topic you bring up

Just trust me.

Okay?Screenshot_2020-06-24-09-46-34~2.png

" OKAY?!"

On 12/25/2020 at 1:42 PM, Edmilson said:

That's the sad fate of almost every adult animated sitcom: they continue for too long, and eventually they stop being funny.

I watched a couple of FG and was appalled at how blatantly it ripped off SIMPSONS!