What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

35 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Silicon Valley

Season 1

Has no idea Mike Judge created this show. Good stuff!

Don't watch past season three and it'll leave you smilin'😊

The entire show just ended up being completely cyclical.

Oh, we have a problem to solve, ok struggle struggle struggle, we solved that problem.  Oh no, a bigger problem has now arisen!

This was not only the plot of every episode, but every season-long story too

I stayed with it because the characters were funny and likable, for the most part.

Then, in the fourth season , all the Pied Piper crew turned into JERKS!

And then - the same old ending..

That was it for me .

But, 1-3 are very good!

Well, everybody's opinions was different of course - your mileage may vary!

I liked it to the end, I thought it was funny to the end, I just didn't think the story they told after season 1 was really all that great.  Season 1 is spectacular because it was amazingly hilarious, had a cool setting and humor style, great characters, and told an interesting story with those characters.  They seemed to have never found a good overarching story to tell again.  Or rather, every time it did seem to be building to something compelling, it would inevitably all be undone before the season was over and they'd be back to underdogs again every time

For me, I can completely enjoy shows that are "just" funny and the plots don't matter at all, but Silicon Valley started with a genuine cool plot and concept and integrated it into the comedy so well, it was disappointing that that aspect wasn't consistent at all as the show went on.  Maybe if I ever rewatch it some day knowing the plot will never matter, I'll enjoy it far more.

01-680-385312.jpg

What a surprise! This 'American Crime Story' is much better than the one about O.J. Simpson. It's very involving and this time I can't critique anything. Does that mean it's a show that will change you life or that raises the bar for other shows? No, not at all, but literally everything (direction, writing, acting) is of a high standard and nothing feels like you've seen it a thousand times before. Didn't expect that at all! Again, what a surprise! 

sddefault-24.jpg

Even Ricky Martin was good! 

Are there more American Crime Stories?!

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Are there more American Crime Stories?!

Not yet, but they're filming one now about the Bill Clinton Monica Lewinsky story

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Not yet, but they're filming one now about the Bill Clinton Monica Lewinsky story

:blink:

That seems like small potatoes compared to the murdering spree in Versace.

They were also going to do a season about Hurricane Katrina but abandoned it before filming began

Invincible

Who could've imagined that, in a year when Marvel Studios released their first (and pricey) TV shows on Disney Plus, the best super-hero show would be an adult animation from Amazon Prime?

Invincible is based on a comic written by The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman and tells the story of a young man who is the son of the greatest super-hero on Earth and is slowly learning how to use his newfound super-powers. But nothing is what it seems and the show takes on a surprising new direction.

The show has a great plot, fun and charismatic characters and stellar voice acting from Steven Yeun, Sandra Oh, J.K. Simmons and others. Sure, the hand-drawn animation isn't amazing, but the show compensates that with a surprising amount of gore and violence (really, don't watch it with your super-hero loving kids).

The first season has only 8 episodes and, despite their long running time (for an animation), it's very bingeable. It's "free" on Amazon Prime Video and it was renewed for at least two more seasons.

Believe me, it's a way better super-hero show than any of the MCU series so far. And considering that Jupiter's Legacy show on Netflix is apparently crap, it looks like it'll be the best super-hero show of the year, unless some of those countless Marvel series become a welcome surprise. 

IMO, it's not so good, but it's not so bad that it becomes unwatchable. It's definitely closer to The Boys than it is to Marvel, but it has earnest heroes instead of corrupt ones (for now, that is). 

JupitersLegacy_Volume1_Episode1_sheldon-

10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Silicon Valley

Season 2

This is such a Mike Judge moment. Felt straight out of Office Space to me.

Oh yea it will continue to be funny all the way to the end.  The story will just go nowhere

At least it made a star out of Kumail!

I've only seen The Big Sick, which I thought was a very boring movie, so I'm not yet convinced by Kumail Nanjiani as an actor or writer.  But I've certainly not written him off, I'm very interested to see how the Eternals movie turns out.

He's made me laugh in everything I've ever seen him in (Michael & Michael Have Issues, Burning Love, Veep, Drunk History, Hell Baby, Silicon Valley, Garfunkel and Oates, Key and Peele, Community, Inside Amy Schumer, X-Files, Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates, Big Sick, Stuber, MIB International, The Lovebirds, SNL, etc etc) so it's cool to me Marvel cast him as a lead in a new franchise

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Oh yea it will continue to be funny all the way to the end.  The story will just go nowhere

At least it made a star out of Kumail!

Martin Starr is the highlight for me. Dude needs more roles!

Jupiter's Legacy, episode 2:

Lots of backstory, moral talk about how to deal with super villains (there's no shortage of political correctness in this show), and not one fight or battle ... 

JL_102_Unit_01362RC20210310_4799_135z97y

But I'm still watching ...

On 5/14/2021 at 5:18 PM, AC1 said:

Lots of backstory, moral talk about how to deal with super villains (there's no shortage of political correctness in this show), and not one fight or battle ... 

I thought the series was very good.

I especially liked the 1929 storyline. Which is a great superhero origin story.

The present day storyline has some very good parts but also has some small problems. 

But I do hooe a season 2 comes!!

The Boys > Jupiter’s Legacy

Also, my spoiler filled rant on why I don’t think Jupiter S1 is any good.

Spoiler

I found the whole thing too monotonous in its fundamental conflict.

"We can not break the code."

”Why not? The world has changed, we're not in the 30s anymore.”

”That's why we need to keep it."

And then repeat that dialogue for 8 episodes.

All the characters are pretty two-dimensional, they think what they think, they are what they are, and they don’t have have much depth beyond that.

They talk about that the times have changed, that it’s not being the 30's anymore, but we as an audience never get to see what their references are so it all kind of becomes a moot point. Maybe S2 will show more of what is only referenced in S1 and then it’ll all make sense.

Overall, there’s very little conflict between characters. The brothers who "fought" for their father's attention are never really shown playing out their conflict, it is only hinted at here and there.

The boy scout’s beef with druggo sister never goes beyond their initial conflict, and it has no other depth, meaning or resolution.

There is a lot of talking about different opinions... Someone thinks this. Someone thinks that. OK... but what are the consequences? Even Boy Scout when he kills Atomic Guy doesn’t really suffer any consequences or character development. It's toothless.

The young heroes who die... I had zero connection to them, who they were, their dreams etc etc, so the emotional impact was absent.

The whole story line in the 30s, you knew exactly where it was going all the time (they all get superpowers. Twist! Not...) Since there was no mystery or stakes, it made that part feel long and unnecessary.

When you have parallel storylines, as we do going back and forth between present day and the 30s, it would’ve been rewarding if the two stories shared simultaneous challenges, conflicts and solutions, but there was no such thing here. This made the shifts back and forth feeling detached and arbitrary.

That said, it’s ok, it’s fine, there is plenty of stuff that’s worse out there.

On 5/14/2021 at 4:18 PM, AC1 said:

I'm frankly surprised you're watching this, a man of your refinement and cinematic tastes enjoying such tripe. Bilbo, sure, I could see it. But you?

8 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I'm frankly surprised you're watching this, a man of your refinement and cinematic tastes enjoying such tripe. Bilbo, sure, I could see it. But you?

Have I fallen from my pedestal?

fallen-statue.jpg

Well, to my defence, I did say the show is not good. And believe it or not, I watched The Boys too, and I actually prefer these shows over Falcon and The Winter Soldier or WandaVision.  :o

Having said that, episode 3 of Jupiter's Legacy was fairly okay:

8eX632mPUu0rggljGNC1DyAttTh.jpg

Season 2 of Love Death and Robots. Fantastic animation.

WARRIOR

Not terrible.

Stories about rival gangs fighting over turf are not my thing.

Especially ones as confusing and schematic as this.one.

But, some good martial Arts action and bits OF immigrant history mixed in raise  it above the usual.CINEMAX schlock.

I'm so behind on TV shows & movies. I didn't watch nearly as much as I thought I would during lockdown, and the list just keeps getting longer and longer. Then by the time I think about getting to something that was must-watch at the time, newer must watch things come along.  I haven't even gotten to Chernobyl yet.

The only shows I'm watching as they air are Mandalorian and Cobra Kai, the latter of which I think is the best show on TV.

The Underground Railroad. 

Gorgeously filmed and very well acted. It is a slow burn, and sometimes, a bit too slow, but overall, another thought-provoking film from Jenkins. The one disappointment I have is that despite the name, the series focuses very little on the railroad. 

Anyone watching Hacks. Season finale tonight.