What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

• 3 weeks later...

Binged The Kingdom. Well made Korean zombie series set in the late 14th century.

Similar in one respect to the vampire series the Strain.

3 hours ago, OneBuckFilms said:

I've been watching the entire Star Trek saga in in-universe chronological order, and am in season 6 of Voyager so far.

An excellent series with a lot of fantastic characters and some cool stories.

How bout that Tuvix

He deserved to die and did not deserve to exist. Had he continued the show was doomed.

Breaking Bad, nearly done with season 2. Then YouTube spoils the season 4 finale for good measure. That is the second time YouTube suggests stuff for no good reason (meaning I don't understand how it knows things about me).

Watch an Exclusive Clip of Anna Kendrick's Quibi Show Dummy | POPSUGAR  Entertainment

Dummy

This is one of the Quibi shows now available for free on the Roku channel.  It's 10 episodes around 7-8 minutes each or so; I recommend watching two episodes at a time as most little plots seem to take about that long before resetting for another location for the next mini-plot.

The story involves Anna Kendrick as a Hollywood screenwriting living with Dan Harmon (the Community guy, here played by Donal Logue) who discovers his sex doll, then imagines it to have its own personality and goes on wacky adventures with it while learning things about herself and her relationship.

It's a must-see for any Anna Kendrick fan, and just a generally pretty funny short little show.  The whole thing is less than the length of a comedy film, and sort of feels like one chopped into 10 pieces... or maybe more like 5 sitcom episodes chopped into 10 with their C plots removed.

Worth a watch.

Woke on Hulu on Twitter: "POV: You're Keef in the first episode and one of  these voices has to go. 👀… "

Woke Season 1

Decent new show about a San Diego-based cartoonist who has a mental breakdown on the verge of success and begins to imagine every day objects personified in the style of his cartoons, and talking to him everywhere he goes (voiced by the likes of JB Smoove, Nicole Byer, Tony Hale, Sam Richardson, Jack McBrayer, Keith David, Cedric The Entertainer and more).

It started out pretty interesting and funny for a few episodes, then started to kind of meander around and not go anywhere interesting.  His two roommates and a New Zealand love interest ended up being more interesting than the main character.  But it got renewed for season 2, so maybe that will be better

The White Lotus' review: hotel guests from hell in a dream telly vacation

The White Lotus Season 1

One of the best shows I've seen in a while, and easy the best season of TV so far in 2021.  The show is set almost entirely in a fancy Hawaiian resort hotel named The White Lotus (actually the Four Seasons in Maui), and follows 3 different groups of vacationers: A mega rich family (Steve Zahn & Connie Britton as the parents, Sydney Sweeney as the college-aged daugther and Brittany O'Grady as her friend, and Fred Hechinger as the high-school aged son), newlyweds Alexandria Daddario and rich husband Jake Lacy, and also wealthy Jennifer Coolidge; and also follows some of the staff, especially hotel manager Murray Bartlett, who I was unfamiliar with but steals many scenes throughout the show!

Each group of characters has all kinds of different storylines going on and themes touched on, and many points about wealth and privilege are touched on, often with both sides of various issues being presented by different characters in the scene.  But on top of all the different storylines, great acting, and gorgeous scenery, the show is also damn FUNNY, from broad silliness to darkly comedic depending on the scene.

The original score by Cristobal Tapia de Veer is amazing and refreshing, completely unique compared to any score I've ever heard before, and made each episode even more exciting to watch than it would have been otherwise.

It's 6 easy to watch hours, and it's free on HBO Max.  A second season has been commisioned that will follow completely different characters at another White Lotus hotel.

Indeed. The White Lotus has been surprisingly great. I started the first episode to kill some time off while doing other stuff, thinking it was a run-of-the-mill family dramedy but it turned out to be so much more than that. It's over-the-top in parts, but always delightfully uncomfortable and entertaining with its dynamic interaction between characters. A real hoot. 

I also tried watching Ash Vs. Evil Dead on Netflix. I'm finding it a real slog and don't think I'll continue any further. The campy gorefest format works best as a short movie, but dragging out over 3 seasons... Apart from a few great practical effects splatter scenes, this show is pretty terrible. 

Chaplewaite.  It is the adaptation of Jerusalem's Lot which is the precursor to 'Salem's Lot. 

So far it has a slow burn. I love the cast.

Brand New Cherry Flavor

Oh boy, this show surely won't be for every one. Some people will love its creepiness and bizarre stuff, and others will hate it.

It's an 8 episode show about a female director who wants to be successful in the early 90s Hollywood, but then gets her movie stolen by a powerful producer. Then, a lot of strange things start to happen as the director (in an excellent performance by Rosa Salazar) goes after revenge.

The show is adapted from a book from the 90s, but it also was clearly inspired by the movies from both Davids Lynch and Cronenberg, with a bit of Neil Gaiman, but adapted for a post MeToo era. Some scenes are pretty gross and disturbing. 

It surely will be a controversial show, which is why I'd like more people to watch it. It'll be interesting to check who will like it and who won't.

It's free on Netflix.

Apple scores 35 Emmy nominations, including 20 for hit series “Ted Lasso” -  Apple (IN)

Ted Lasso (Season 1)

What a wonderful show!  I was afraid it wouldn't live up to the hype after hearing about it non-stop for the past year, and sure enough, the pilot didn't wow.  Of course, most pilot episodes have more in common with every other pilot episode than with the rest of its own show, so I didn't let the fact that it was underwhelming stop of from continuing on, and boy am I glad we did.

Every episode after the pilot just keeps getting better and better, as you get to know all the characters you look forward to every different interaction they have with each other, and one by one they all became favorite characters of mine :lol: Even the plot elements that felt like it was heading into well-worn territory get resolved in unexpected ways, and you really end up caring about how things turn out in all the plots.

You can tell the Bill Lawrence influence because there's a very Scrubs-esque aspect which is the huge gut-punch moments worked in just at just the right moments, when you're guard is down to do highly comedic and-or positive moments.  Luckily there is just enough of these to elevate the drama, and not too much to turn it into melodrama or a anxious watch; It's still overall a positive and uplifting show most of the time.

Looking forward to beginning season 2 soon!

Brand New Cherry Flavor

Gave up into 15 minutes of Episode 2. To me it felt like an amateur's attempt at making a Lynchian TV series. Edmilson is right, this show is not for everyone.

Brand_New_Cherry_Flavor.png

Yeah it's trying hard to be Lynch and Cronenberg, and at certain points it is a decent attempt, but by the third episode or so the narrative is such a mess and it never recovers. In fact it gets much worse. 

Some really icky moments though. 

Schmigadoon! (TV Series) (2021) - Filmaffinity

Schmigadoon!

No thank you.  We wanted to watch this after enjoying Ted Lasso Season 1, before jumping into Ted Lasso season 2, since Ted 2 is only halfway through and it becomes a week-to-week wait once caught up.  Well, this ended up being kinda lame, though not utterly terrible), so we saw the whole thing in 3 sittings because we saw no reason not to binge.

The cast is great - Keegan Michael Key, Cecily Strong, Martin Short, Jane Krakowski, Kristin Chenoweth, Fred Armisen, Alan Cumming.... but some of them only end up appearing in 1 episode, or even just 1 scene, and some other cast members have limited interactivity with the cast, etc.  But the cast isn't good enough to make it watchable despite everything else; It's just kinda boring and if you aren't into musicals (which I'm not, at all), there's not much left to hold on to.

Key and Strong are 2 late 30s / early 40s doctors from modern day Brooklyn who are having somewhat unspoken relationship troubles (such as the fact Key won't commit to marriage) and end up in a magical town that is perpetually a 1940s-1950s style musical in a 1910s setting.  They learn from Short's leprechaun character that they can't leave until they find true love, and then proceed to have various interactions with different town members, helping them with their own little side stories, for 6 episodes.

Every episode has 3-4 musical numbers, none of which are particularly memorable and all of which go on for a little too long in my book.  covid filming restrictions and scheduling conflicts seem to have altered the show alot from its pre-covid intentions, such as Jane Krakowski being credited for every episode but only showing up for one.  

It's just meh

It's free on Apple TV

• 3 weeks later...

So yes, Netflix's The Crown and Netflix's The Queen's Gambit are the big winners. In total, Netflix received 44 (!) Emmys. The Crown was good but it only had two truly outstanding episodes, IMO. The Queen's Gambit was good too but the last episode, a true happy ending à la Rocky 2, was a letdown for me. 

Gillian-Anderson-The-Crown-1.jpg

It's about an American college football coach who relocates to London in the pilot episode to coach a Premiere league football (soccer) team because the owner of the team is a divorcee whose ex-husband loved owning the team but she ended up with it in the divorce, and wants the team to fail spectacularly to spite him.  

Over the course of the first season, Ted's positive energy has an influence on her and everyone else in the management of the team, as well as several of the players

It's more about the main character's personal lives than about the actual football; There isn't game action is every episode or anything, many episodes have scenes leading up to a match and then it cuts to directly after for example.  Practice is shown more than actual games

4 hours ago, Jay said:

It's about an American college football coach who relocates to London in the pilot episode to coach a Premiere league football (soccer) team because the owner of the team is a divorcee whose ex-husband loved owning the team but she ended up with it in the divorce, and wants the team to fail spectacularly to spite him.  

Over the course of the first season, Ted's positive energy has an influence on her and everyone else in the management of the team, as well as several of the players

It's more about the main character's personal lives than about the actual football; There isn't game action is every episode or anything, many episodes have scenes leading up to a match and then it cuts to directly after for example.  Practice is shown more than actual games

“We’re talking about practise, practise!”

24 minutes ago, Brónach said:

Katla. Didn't like it.

Only watched the first episode and decided not to continue with it. I'm sure there's an audience for it though ...

Still watching David E. Kelly's Nine Perfect Strangers. Not the most interesting characters, I must say, but I'm holding on. Nicole Kidman as the self-made guru is the least believable one. 

nine-perfect-strangers-cast-162844390966

I finally almost saw the first season of Locke & Key. At first I found it too "family"... then it degenerated, exactly like I like.

It remains a series for teens, but it tackled my imagination... all those hidden keys who give, each one of them, a particular power...

In one episode they succedeed in making me jump, like no horror series suceeded for years...

Bastards!

Six episodes into Ted Lasso. Does it get any better? It's alright so far but every character, no matter how seemingly complex the show wants us to believe they are, is coated with a glossy sheen that make all of them come across as somewhat cartoonish. It does not help that the proceedings premised around managing a professional football club is utterly unbelievable at every turn. It may have worked as a traditional laugh-a-minute sitcom, but in its format of trying to evoke some semblance of believability...it's not working very well. 

But ignore all that and go along and it's as satisfying as sucking on a sticky sweet lolipop. 

It never becomes a "realistic" or "believable" show, nope!  If that's what you're looking for, give up now.  It's meant to be enjoyed as a hilarious and uplifting comedy show with occasional drama.  Well, season 2 has WAY more drama, but season 1 the drama was only every few episodes or so.

You've already seen six out of the 10 episodes that make up the season, so I'd encourage you to finish the first season, as all the best stuff happens towards the end and some weird parts are kind of explained.

I've been watching and really enjoying Only Murders in the Building (a Hulu show).  This week's episode especially was great.  Martin Short and Nathan Lane have given my favorite performances in the show thus far.

We've been watching that and enjoying it too!  Haven't seen this week's ep yet, though.

Overall I'd say the show's only weakness is Selena Gomez.  I've never seen her in anything prior to this show and have no clue if she always acts the same way or making a choice for this show, but in this show the way she delivers every line with clenched teeth is incredibly annoying

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

We've been watching that and enjoying it too!  Haven't seen this week's ep yet, though.

Overall I'd say the show's only weakness is Selena Gomez.  I've never seen her in anything prior to this show and have no clue if she always acts the same way or making a choice for this show, but in this show the way she delivers every line with clenched teeth is incredibly annoying

Yeah she's yet another modern pop star that seems like she's on Ambien all the time (see also: Lana Del Rey and that Eyelash lady)

Sidenote: Amy Ryan is like 25 years younger than Steve Martin

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah she's yet another modern pop star that seems like she's on Ambien all the time (see also: Lana Del Rey and that Eyelash lady)

Yea, and the character isn't written that way or anything, so it's annoying she talks like that all the time.   Overall, the chemistry she has with Martin and Martin is great, and I love the juxtaposition of her younger character against the two older characters, etc; It's only her line delivery that sucks.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sidenote: Amy Ryan is like 25 years younger than Steve Martin

So?