What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Lydia is absolutely not Fringe's superior, not sure how you came to that conclusion. He was the absolute top of the chain. 

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Lydia is absolutely not Fringe's superior, not sure how you came to that conclusion. He was the absolute top of the chain. 

Lydia Rodarte-Quayle was the Head of Logistics at Madrigal Electromotive GmbH, and was based at their office in Houston, Texas. She supplied methylamine to Gustavo Fring prior to the collapse of Gus' Drug Empire, and later aligned herself with Walt's Drug Empire and eventually with Jack Welker's Gang. 

At some point she became a secret partner to Gustavo Fring and Peter Schuler in their secret meth operation, assisting Fring in his distribution network and helping him procure necessary chemicals, equipment and resources to aid in his expanding empire.

https://breakingbad.fandom.com/wiki/Lydia_Rodarte-Quayle

Anyone watching Archive 81 on Netflix? I've seen the first three episodes, which are decent but could've been much better and creepier. But the central mystery is compelling, so I'm gonna watch it until the end.

My wife is watching it.  I'll ask her what she thinks of it

I'd say all 3 seasons are pretty equally good as each other

Nothing tops that Season 1 finale though, for me, that was incredible

To all UK viewers: does anyone know where I can find the last season of BROOKLYN NINE-NINE? Netflix doesn't have it, and I want to see what happens after the baby arrives. Also, I miss Gina like a sonofabitch.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-series/brooklyn-nine-nine tells me it simply is not yet available in the UK

In the US, season 8 is free on Hulu, or can be purchased on any of our VOD services https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/brooklyn-nine-nine

Watching Ghost,the BBC version, and the CBS version, the similar and dissimilar in wonderful ways. Both shows are surprisingly touching.

We're watching the US version, it's light and fun

We'll probably watch the UK original this summer after the US's season 1 is over

For one reason or another, I couldn’t watch "American Horror Story" Season 7 when it came out, any more than the following ones. So I’m in the catch-up.

Called "cult", the 7th season was... interesting, but I must admit I was used to more "supernatural" subjects.

Starting from a Presidential Election that polarizes people, the series makes the tour of the great cults, the great sects that America has known... Pretty freaky!

Tonight... Season 8: Apocalypse.

Succession S1 E1

550x775.jpg

I might be judging too early but I have a feeling that every character is made to be awful & rotten because that's what the HBO crowd loves to see. 

20 minutes ago, AC1 said:

Succession S1 E1

550x775.jpg

I might be judging too early but I have a feeling that every character is made to be awful & rotten because that's what the HBO crowd loves to see. 

That's kind of true. But I think it's a good representation of the world the show is about. They're of course not awful all the time.

But this series is soooo good. I'm at Season 2 Episode 7. And it's so cool that basicly the whole show is talking. But it's done so incredibly well and the writing is sooo good. I'm really invested in what's happening.

My sister wondered how it could not be boring if it's only talking. And I explained to her that for example:

In something with action you get an action scene every now and then. But here the action scenes are verbal. And it's insane. I'm sometimes on the edge of my seat. That's the tension, shock and excitement that the show is able to build.

And I for one like it very much

I'm sure it perfectly reflects the reality of that world but I don't want it to be that strongly stated all the time. I have the same problem with Ozark. Awful & rotten characters as a trademark, a selling point.

Easton-Magnum-Baseball-Bat-in-Succession

Spoiler

At least the kid got a Patek Phillipe ... ;)

On 18/01/2022 at 6:35 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

To all UK viewers: does anyone know where I can find the last season of BROOKLYN NINE-NINE? Netflix doesn't have it, and I want to see what happens after the baby arrives. Also, I miss Gina like a sonofabitch.

It ended in the US in September ... for it not to have been on E4 by now seems odd. 

Am enjoying BBC1 drama The Tourist, starring Jamie Dornan as a dude whose car gets deliberately ran off the road in Australia. After waking up in hospital with amnesia, he sets about piecing together exactly why someone would want him dead.

And when it's done, it looks like its Sunday night replacement will be the final season/series of Peaky Blinders. Stoked for that!     

At the risk of being unrespectful, I didn't like the Peaky Blinders mother, so it's no big loss to me. 

Just finished Archive 81.

The show starts off a little boring, then things get really dark and intense on episodes 4 to 6, which are the best of the season. However, instead of building the tension, episodes 7 and 8 have a lot of exposition explaining the mysteries (I think it would be great if they left some unanswered). Worst of all, the climax of the show is not even that scary.

Spoiler

They finally show the Other World, but it's just a creepy version of the world the characters were living.

In the end, it's a decent season, but it could've been better and darker.

Succession S1 E2

I didn't notice this during the first episode but I get it now, it's a comedy show! And it's precisely the comedy that balances out my previous concerns about the show. 

c92d0869fa1476b1d2361d328a1e98a880-succe

Community: Season 2

Simply perfect.

The two finals episode are such terrific pastiches, giving Göransson the opportunity to make two beautiful score ala Morricone/Williams that deserve a proper expansion.

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Succession S1 E2

I didn't notice this during the first episode but I get it now, it's a comedy show! And it's precisely the comedy that balances out my previous concerns about the show. 

c92d0869fa1476b1d2361d328a1e98a880-succe

Yup! And they strike an even better balance of that comedy in S2.

I've been watching Search Party after seeing @Jay's posts about here. Three seasons in, it's such blast! Such a weird little show that mixes up drama and laugh-out-loud comedy in delicious ways. The cast is fantastic.

On 21/01/2022 at 11:53 AM, KK said:

I've been watching Search Party after seeing @Jay's posts about here. Three seasons in, it's such blast! Such a weird little show that mixes up drama and laugh-out-loud comedy in delicious ways. The cast is fantastic.

The cast is great, which makes every season work. What's really fun is that every season tackles a new genre, and it always feels valid because the cast is consistent across the genre changes. 

Were halfway through the final season now, and it's completely bonkers, I love it! 

This morning I'll start "Angels in America", mainly because of Thomas Newman's score.

I think it's not really a comedy?

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

This morning I'll start "Angels in America", mainly because of Thomas Newman's score.

I think it's not really a comedy?

I envy you, Bes.

ANGELS IN AMERICA is one of the finest pieces of television ever created. Newman's score is great, and the performances are uniformly excellent.

There are funny bits in it, but, no, it's not a comedy.

Wow Pacino has a great role. Different from what he usually play.

I guess I'll never be tired of these series about the Reagan years, the begining of AIDS crisis, the ozone hole...... Those were hard years....

I was eleven in 1985. I already knew our adult life would not be the same as the ones of our parents and grandparents.

Don's ask why we eat antidepressant pills like candies!

Yes our ancestors all died young, from the plague, cholera or the Spanish flu... But they were not depressed, they were believers!

Thomas Newman don't score turnips.

On 21/01/2022 at 6:25 PM, Jay said:

What's really fun is that every season tackles a new genre, and it always feels valid because the cast is consistent across the genre changes. 

Is this comment about Succession? Wonderful show BTW!

How do you figure that it changes genre? It’s pretty much a drama throughout.

On 20/01/2022 at 11:34 AM, badbu said:

infiltration_808718.png

2726467A-CEAB-451B-9D91-9DD11DD03FA3.jpeg

Also, I didn’t know this show had been rebranded from Invasion to Infiltration in some countries. If possible, the new name would make the show even worse than it already is (it’s bad!) since it has zero to do with infiltration of any kind.

4 hours ago, rough cut said:

Is this comment about Succession? Wonderful show BTW!

How do you figure that it changes genre? It’s pretty much a drama throughout.

My post you quoted was about Search Party, replying to KK's thoughts about it in the post immediately before mine.

KK talked about Search Party, so I replied to his post and talked about the same show. Sorry you got confused 

Ozark 4x01 The Beginning of the End

No spoilers here

Me and several coworkers have been looking forward to the return of this, and had a funny conversation at work recently where we collectively tried to remember where all the various characters and plot threads ended at the last season.  The one thing we all remembered very well was the very final thing that happened to the lawyer lady, but it was funny how we all struggled to remember what was going on with all the other characters and in some cases who was even still alive and who wasn't.

Luckily when you start this episode on Netflix, a nice recap automatically plays that really filled in a lot of gaps.  What was funny was half the stuff we remembered wasn't touched on in the recap, and half the stuff in the recap none of us mentioned at all :lol: 

I am happy to report that after being off the year for a little under 2 years, the shows has returned really like nothing changed.  I found it very easy to pick up what was going on with everyone, even the stuff that neither the recap nor my own memories touched on - there's enough context to get the gist of anything you don't remember.  And beyond that, it felt like the same show, didn't feel like the long delay, or covid, or the fact that this is the final season, really changed much.

With two exceptions.  The first is hilarious and I hope people see it before Netflix fixes it: There is a scene where the camera holds on a 2-shot of Marty and Wendy, and at some point Marty completely freezes while Wendy delivers a bunch of lines. I found a clip of it on reddit (minor spoiler in the clip if you haven't seen the first episode).  I have to imagine Netflix will fix that and replace it with a shot that Marty actually moves during!

The other difference is, eveything seemed really dark?  Like every shot in the Byrde household was dark, even when they are eating dinner and stuff.  Was that like that before?  

Overall, looking forward to watching the remaining 6 episodes over the next week or two

Some spoiler thoughts / questions

Spoiler

Why did Jonah bring Ben's ashes to Ruth?  He indicated Ben and Ruth were close, but I don't remember any of that at all!

Navarro wanting to get out of the business seems like a contrivance invented for this season that was never a thing before, but it's as good enough of a thing to pile on top of the Byrdes along with the Snell thing and the private investigator and everything else

The new nephew guy (Javi) is a decen enough new wildcard character, always need one of those

It did not surprise me at all that Jonah is going to be the launderer for the Snells and Ruth, and I expect it to go poorly by the end of the 7 episode first half of the season

That opening flash-forward to a car crash was weird.  I thought it was gonna end up being someone's dream, until the crash.

Station Eleven

IMDB

Overall: good

Spoiler

The parts that cover the outbreak and how people/governments react is - in light of covid - a little bit unbelievable, but is fine as a piece of entertainment, I guess.

Even though the show is released post pandemic, and the book it is based on was written in 2014 and I guess production on this began before the pandemic began, so that’s an excuse as good as any for why it feels “unreal”.

But Station Eleven is science fiction, so I guess some suspension of reality is called for non the less, and it doesn’t bother me too much. It certainly doesn’t big the story down - if anything it accelerates it.

But you’d think that anyone writing a story about a humanity-killing virus would research viruses enough to know that the lost successful viruses doesn’t kill so quickly. They need time to incubate and spread to do damage on the scale that is suggested here, which to the author’s credit, she has acknowledged in recent interviews (post covid).

But - whatever - characters are engaging enough, even though nothing is really surprising throughout the story.

It’s well made: acting, music and direction is good.

Is that show depressing to watch?

Maybe, depending on how you internalize what you watch.

Spoiler

Since it’s a worst case scenario of a virus - 99,99 % of everybody dies - so in light of the pandemic and how it could evolve, I guess it could be depressing.

But at the same time, it’s clearly science fiction, and the individual story threads wrap up in a kind of “happy ending”, so all things good, I guess.

So I haven't opened either of your spoiler blocks because I haven't seen the show, so was looking for a spoiler-free answer :P