What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Is that the oldest daughter on Modern Family? If so hell no, I'm not into people that young

If it's somebody else I don't recognize her.

Ok it might just be that I'm 20.

I guess you don't like Jennifer Lawrence either. :lol:

I honestly don't even know who that is. I mean I know she's in Hunger Games but I've never seen that movie or heard that name attached to anything else.

I noticed that Modern Family deliberately displays some of the female cast members as sex objects.

Sofia Vergara IS a sex object. Hubba Hubba!

Every once in a while Claire gets some good scenes too. The last episode we saw was when the kids catch her and Phil having sex. The next scene is her wearing nothing but panties and a tshirt trying to put jeans on. And this is a family show! There was another recent one we saw when she walks into a room in a robe with panties and a bra showing underneath, when Dylan sees her through Haley's laptop. Hottest scene she's ever had (I generally don't find her attractive at all, since she lost weight and got so boney and vein-y after season 1. Yuck. I like some meat on those bones!)

Claire? Is that the mother with the blonde hair? Definitely not my type. Sofia, on the other hand, is smoking hot, though her accent and voice are getting annoying in season 2. They even start making jokes about it, which is nice.

Alex

Everything they do on that show is hilarious. And yes Claire is not my type either that is my point. Then I sidelined about being surprised what they get away with on broadcast tv these days.

I noticed that Modern Family deliberately displays some of the female cast members as sex objects.

Sofia Vergara IS a sex object. Hubba Hubba!

Every once in a while Claire gets some good scenes too. The last episode we saw was when the kids catch her and Phil having sex. The next scene is her wearing nothing but panties and a tshirt trying to put jeans on. And this is a family show! There was another recent one we saw when she walks into a room in a robe with panties and a bra showing underneath, when Dylan sees her through Haley's laptop. Hottest scene she's ever had (I generally don't find her attractive at all, since she lost weight and got so boney and vein-y after season 1. Yuck. I like some meat on those bones!)

Jay, maybe the point Alex suggested is that the continual sexualization of women in TV shows deprives them of the same richness of characterization male actors get to experience. If you're just thinking about whether you'd bang them, you're not really seeing them as full characters, or indeed, human beings. Then again, Alex seems to have the same attitude.

586-red-letter-media.jpg

I'm so confused...

OMG! Did anyone see Rome? One of the creators is John Milius (yes, that one) and I just read that a few years ago he started with a new series called Pharaoh. A series set in Ancient Egypt? This is just mind-blowing to me. Does anyone know what happened? I've never heard of this show. Jason?

Alex

Never heard of it either. Also, I've never seen Rome.

EDIT: Found this link via google search:

http://www.spoilertv.com/2011/08/pharaoh-information-poster.html

Daniel Knauf is involved!! (Creator of Carnivale). Color me intrigued!

Cool! Rome was pretty terrific series even though there was the HBO gratuitous sex factor in there but the plot was well done in a great period of Roman history and the setting was created with great deal of authenticity. Plus the acting is top notch of course.

Also, I've never seen Rome.

OMG! It's brilliant! Get it on blu-ray now!

It's definitely on my list of shows I want to see!

Right now we've just started season 4 of Breaking Bad, then its on to Game Of Thrones... maybe Rome will be after that :)

With the fall season starting, the catalogue-title watching is going to slow down considerably, though.

BTW, the DVD set of Rome looks good too. Only get it on Blu-ray when you find it dirt cheap (which you won't) .

Cleopatra is another series set in Egypt and which some network is making as we speak, but my money is on Pharoah.

Pharoah will feature a lot of sex, violence, romance and drama and would premiere on Canal+ in 2013

Sounds right up my alley.

I loved Rome. A series set in ancient Egypt would be terrific

I'm esceptical about the quality.

It might have all the violence or drama they want, but if they get something full of anachronisms, boring subplots, cheap filler sex and what not I will have no interest in it. "Violence and drama" are no guarantee of good storytelling.

From the little I know about Roman history and particularly the fall of the Roman Republic, I'd consider Rome to be very historically accurate, bearing in mind its dramatic presentation

Their biggest "inventions" were some of the romantic lliasons and the exagerated role of Pullo and Vorenus in some of those major events. Did you find their portrayal of the major events to be so innacurate?

Often the drama and historical accuracy don't quite go hand in hand but on the whole Rome was very faithful to the larger events of the end of the Republic and the show really had wonderfully accurate details from religious artifacts to wall paintings and ceremonies.

Their biggest "inventions" were some of the romantic lliasons and the exagerated role of Pullo and Vorenus in some of those major events. Did you find their portrayal of the major events to be so innacurate?

I actually didn't mind the Pullo and Vorenus part, because that was part of the game. I was more bothered by the details of how things were presented, either visually or in dialogue.

Often the drama and historical accuracy don't quite go hand in hand

Actually I find the relationship between the characters in real life to be more interesting that the ones in the series.

Often the drama and historical accuracy don't quite go hand in hand but on the whole Rome was very faithful to the larger events of the end of the Republic and the show really had wonderfully accurate details from religious artifacts to wall paintings and ceremonies.

Movies and series are still written by artists, not by academic historians. As long as the broad lines aren't bogus, I'm fine with it. Also, when it comes to history, is there really such a thing as absolute truth?

Often the drama and historical accuracy don't quite go hand in hand

Actually I find the relationship between the characters in real life to be more interesting that the ones in the series.

As much as we can assertain their relationships from the sources available to us. The picture is often incomplete still. But for example Cicero really transformed during closer study of his writings and histories from a mighty Roman statesman orator to a self serving wind bag of a man, who basically went where the winds of politics blew until his end, when he showed some backbone. His letters, again published by himself, show still a highly pompous and vain man full of himself and his station in life, almost pathetically at times. But that is human.

Also, when it comes to history, is there really such a thing as absolute truth?

True. To us it is all still mostly conjecture if were are not lucky to have some kind of account or proof or report from the times. If anything you learn to sift words of contemporaries and even these great people themselves to try to find the truth or rather facts.

Oh, it's wonderful reading the first hand accounts of Caesar himself and Suetonius :) It's really juicy stuff

And also highly selectively written and often following literary norms of certain genre that were surprisingly strict in Antiquity. But entertaining indeed. :)

Rome is a fantastic series. If those guys are making something set in Egypt, I salivate at the prospects of its potential!

Of course, John Milius is not the BBC. I mean, it wasn't HBO alone that made Rome.

Also in production is Versailles which is set at the court of French monarch Louis XIV and boasts a script by Mad Men writers and producers Andre and Maria Jacquemetton. It seems a lot of good things are coming our way. I wish I could say the same about cinema.

Alex

Ita est.

Still, there's lots of stuff in cinema to look forward to. But we have to bear in mind that many brilliant films appear suddenly out of nowhere while we weren't exactly waiting for them in excitement. Alex is probably just tired of looking.

TV passed cinema years ago as the place the best writers go

Yes. Cinema is offering spectacle and SFX. TV is offering great writing and acting. From now on, that's how it is.

TV passed cinema years ago as the place the best writers go

Yes. cinema is offering spectacle and SFX. TV is offering great wring and acting. From now on, that's how it is.

I want spectacle, SFX, great writing and acting all together. :mellow:

Strange that cinema really aims for the PG13 crowd, and TV does more adult stuff.

A very good observation, Steef. TV seems to be the answer for the older crowd who can't be bothered anymore with the juvenile standard of cinema.

Strange that cinema really aims for the PG13 crowd, and TV does more adult stuff.

you're talking about HBO, it's not mainstream tv and it doesn't have a huge following. It's pay tv.

Adult-oriented shows such as Breaking Bad, Mad Men, and The Shield are NOT on HBO, they are on cable. And that's where all the good writers are (in addition to HBO/Showtime shows).