What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Barry: Season 1

What a terrific first season. I wanted to watch this for a while, but couldn't until HBOMax was available for me. After watching some other stuff first, I finally got around to it. I wished I started sooner.

The premise is great and cleverly excecuted. I love how it's a very serious show but at the same time a very comedic one.

Wonderful writing and directing all season. That season finale was genuinely edge of your seat. Great tension.

Bill Hader, Henry Wrinkler, Sarah Goldberg, Anthony Carrigan (hilarious) & Stephen Root were all great. I also really came to like Paula Newsome and I'm really curious to find out what happened at the end. I do hope she's not gone, she's a great character.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

Barry: Season 1

What a terrific first season. I wanted to watch this for a while, but couldn't until HBOMax was available for me. After watching some other stuff first, I finally got around to it. I wished I started sooner.

The premise is great and cleverly excecuted. I love how it's a very serious show but at the same time a very comedic one.

Wonderful writing and directing all season. That season finale was genuinely edge of your seat. Great tension.

Bill Hader, Henry Wrinkler, Sarah Goldberg, Anthony Carrigan (hilarious) & Stephen Root were all great. I also really came to like Paula Newsome and I'm really curious to find out what happened at the end. I do hope she's not gone, she's a great character.

I recently binged the lot of it and loved it.

Barry: Season 2

WOW. What a season. And those last 2 episodes were outstanding.

Bill Hader is terrific in this, shows a lot of range. And his directing on the series has been nothing but great. Episode 5 was chaos at it's finest, I laughed out loud at it. It was sometimes so ridiculous, but because it was so well directed it made total sense. And the finale was a brilliant piece of directing as well. The shootout at the end. Chef's kiss.

And what a treasure Henry Wrinkler is to this show. I love him so much. He broke my heart in the final episode, without saying a single word. That was phenomenal. And the cliffhanger, I'm glad I don't have to wait 2.5 years to see season 3.

And how did Sarah Goldberg not win the Emmy that year over Bornstein for Ms. Maisel (who already won, and I'm not a fan of that show). Her performance throughout the season but especially in the penultimate episode in her one take scene, beautiful. I was stunned when that scene happened, so impressed.

Stephen Root does a great job as well, I truly dislike his character, but he keeps it interesting.

Anthony Carrigan is comedy gold and I'm excited to see what happens with his character.

Onto Season 3

Barry: Season 3

I couldn't top watching🙊. This was amazing!! I say it a lot, but one of the best series of the year. And there are so many!!!

Firstly again. Bill Hader is a superstar!! His acting throughout the season was great. So many different layers and emotions he displayed. And that breakdown in the finale, he broke me. And it's amazing how this series makes you care so much at the end for him even though he has done so many horrible things. But as Albert told him, he is not an evil person. 

Henry Winkler did, as always, phenomenal work. The comedy, the emotion, the heartbreak. Wow!!! And the whole season I had no idea where his storyline was gonnan go. So many twists and turns. And the place where he ended was very 'real world'. I'm glad the show keeps all it's characters very grounded. It's just on the edge of over the top. That's one of the reasons I like it so much.

Sarah Goldberg also again had some wonderful moment. At the beginning she was kinda annoying, with the way she acted, towards Natalie (who later did the same to her assistent, clever writing), to going to a full breakdwon where the can't help but feel for her again. The scene of her being choked and what she did after. Very powerful. And I'm excited to see her family.

Anthony Carrigan blew me away with the range he had. I knew he was comedy gold, but the more dramatic scenes, especially the finale, were brilliantly acted.

Bill Hader also again did a terrific job on the directing. Every episode he directed had stabdout moments, but the best was the chase scene in episode 7. It was so inventive, I thought it was incredible.

This show has had perfect acting, writing, directing, production. Everything is a 10/10!

I can't wait to see Season 4!!!

I thought it was a step behind the brilliant first two seasons, but it seems they wanted to take things to a darker place and this was the result.  I wonder if they'll course-correct for season 4 - and if that will be the final season

Watched the 1st episode of Chernobyl.

I wasn't born yet when this happened, so all I really know is that there was a nuclear plant where something went horribly wrong.

I thought the episode was quite frightening. Of course the spreading of the radiation was scary. But I found it even more scary how the people in charge were so oblivious to the fact that something had gone wrong. They were so sure of themselves that nothing was wrong. I thought it was despicable. How can you be in charge of that much destructive power and not take it seriously when a fire breaks out and multiple people report that something went horribly wrong. They not only were incapable of being in charge, but because of their incapability they send so many people to their deaths. Insane!

I will! I'm both curious and a bit frightened by it. I also have not seen any trailers, so I really know nothing.

I've heard from a friend of mine that it's quite brutal and graphic. But I really want to see it, so I'll definitely continue

I will! I'm both curious and a bit frightened by it. I also have not seen any trailers, so I really know nothing.

I've heard from a friend of mine that it's quite brutal and graphic. But I really want to see it, so I'll definitely continue

This is the way.

The first two episodes had the most impact, to me, but the whole thing is really fantastic. One of my favorite series to come out in the past several years. 

For me the nuclear plant was the star of the show and the only thing that made an impact on me. The investigation and cover-up that occured in the following episodes was okay, but emotionally, dramatically and artistically, it was nothing new or major.

6 hours ago, rough cut said:

Chernobyl should be mandatory to watch in high school as part of the general education, along with Schindler’s List.

Right after Carl Sagan's Cosmos.

Chernobyl - Episode 2

Great episode.

Skarsgard was stellar. His speech at the end was very strong. And I really liked the way his character went from someone who doesn't believe and is kind of a prick, to realising the shock and facts of what has happened. Skarsgard is one of the best long-time working actors in the business. It's always great to see him.

Jared Harris & Emily Watson are both great as well.

My favorite scene was the boardroom scene. The moment everyone in that room realised the seriousness of the situation was great and very tense. I loved it!

One thing I don't get. I get that they didn't want to do the whole series in Russian or Ukranian. But these people are all supossed to be from the Sovjet Union, so why don't they have accents. Was that a creatove decision made, becausr them I'm finr with it. But I find it a bit strange.

34 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

One thing I don't get. I get that they didn't want to do the whole series in Russian or Ukranian. But these people are all supossed to be from the Sovjet Union, so why don't they have accents. Was that a creatove decision made, becausr them I'm finr with it. But I find it a bit strange.

Because it's a (generally) annoying trope. If English is used as a substition for Russian (i.e. the actors speak English, but in the story, the characters "really" speak Russian), it doesn't make sense to speak English with a Russian accent (just like the original Russian wouldn't have an English accent). What you could argue is that local accents should be represented - which in a way is what The Death of Stalin does (having a cast with all kinds of English accents). I liked that, though others found it annoying.

My favourite trick for showing that the Russians speak Russian but then switching to English for the viewers' convenience is The Hunt for Red October, where the Russians start out speaking Russian with English subtitles, but in an early long take scene with a slow, steady zoom, they seamlessly switch to English. It's *almost* good enough that you barely even notice something has changed.

Chernobyl - Episode 3

Just 3 things for now, I'll write my overall thoughts on te series when I've finished the final 2 episodes.

- Emily Watson is a great actress. Very underrated. Wish she was in more mainstream stuff.

- I screamed at my television when Jessie Buckley's character just hugged her husband and went inside the containment. I hated it, it was so weird to watch. Can't really express how I feel about it.

- The bodies of the burned men were very very disturbing. I did not expect that. It was truly awful to look at. Props to the make-up department for the jobs they've done. They certainly succeeded. And props to the actors underneath the make-up. To still leave an impression and bring out emotions when your face is basicly melting, well done.

Of course the showrunners have taken some dramatic and creative freedom with some parts, but I appreciate how real it all feels. It all feels scary and very tense. Nothing is made to feel like it wasn't a big deal, because it wasn't. They could've gone less graphic on the burned bodies, but that would not have made the same impact.

This is one of the biggest things to ever happen on earth and the creators handle it all with a lot of respect and clearly researched a lot. And even if that doesn't make it easy to watch sometimes, I really appreciate it.

I finshed Chernobyl this morning. I'm a bit lost when it comes to finding the words.

I thought it was incredible. The whole series was a masterclass in directing, cinematography, sound design, production, writing and acting. To have certain a sense of tension throughout 5 episodes is not an easy thing to do, but the filmmakers succeeded. The first 2 episodes were the shock and scarieness of the incident. Episode 3 and 4 were of the aftermath. And the 5th episode was a slap in the face with tension and emotion.

I am a big fan of courtroom scenes, and it was used in very well here. Cutting between the courtoom and the incident of how it happened was incredible. 

The best acting in this episode came from Jared Harris. What an incredible actor!

Skarsgard moment outside was very beautiful.

I also thought it was very nice that Emily Watson's character was a mix of all the people that worked on the aftermath of the accident.

Paul Ritter's character was an absolute asshole. How can someone be that incompetent. I thought that was just incredible. And also the fact that one of his colleageus got back to work at another plant after his sentence was even more incredible.

The fact that Jessie Buckley's character was pregnant and that her baby basicely sucked all the radiation out of her body was heartbreaking. A truly awful thing.

I also felt that it was very beautiful that the series was basicely about what truth and lies can bring to the world. And that the showrunners' point was very well made.

The final words of the series about the number of deaths that are officialy reported and the number of deaths that is probably the actual number was shocking.

I think it's incredible how they managed to make Jared Harris' courtroom analysis so tense and interesting.

A lot of science and information that could have been so fucking dull for some.

Some genius writing right there.

I am a big fan of courtroom scenes, and it was used in very well here. Cutting between the courtoom and the incident of how it happened was incredible. 

The best acting in this episode came from Jared Harris. What an incredible actor!

7 minutes ago, LSH said:

I think it's incredible how they managed to make Jared Harris' courtroom analysis so tense and interesting.

As I recall, the last episode was considered a bit of a let down compared to the earlier ones by many because of the courtroom scenes. I never knew why, I thought they were very well done - and not just because of Harris (although he improves everything he's in).

How to watch What We Do in the Shadows season 4 online: Where to stream,  release dates, synopsis and trailer | Laptop Mag

What We Do In The Shadows (Season 4)

Man, this is not a very consistent show!  While I can't say I liked this season as much as prior ones, I do admire the chances they took going off in new directions and trying new storylines.  Colin Robinson is one of my favorite characters so spending almost an entire season without him in his normal form was pretty bold, and while there were so many funny moments throughout that arc, I don't think it really had enough to it to carry through an entire 10 episode season, especially considering the way it ends.  Then again, it's clear the point of this season was to really drive home that living forever for these guys means so much of what they do ends up being meaningless;  Laslow's time raising Colin, Nandor's wife and time with the genie, Nadja running the club.... all result in them right back to where they were before they started on all this.  Guillermo is the only one who really gets to grow, and while I doubt he'll actually ever turn into a vampire, unless it's like, the very last episode, it's nice to see him get the closest yet.

And boy, that Go Flip Yourself episode was rough, eh?

Watched Sunday night's premiere of the new primetime Celebrity Jeopardy series, hosted by Mayim Bialik.  It was Andy Richter vs. Simu Liu (Shang-Chi) vs. some SNL cast member I'd never heard of.

Most notably, it was the introduction of the new TRIPLE JEOPARDY round, where the amounts of the first round are ... tripled!  It was clearly just to make these primetime specials longer, but I still enjoyed it!

The Final Jeopardy was a shocker!

AAAABauvq-Sbpy-V9m-Pz-Qn-Ey-Yco1n-Ygq-XI

Episode 6 of Monster: Jeffrey Dahmer is a TV series highlight of the year for me. In fact, it's so good, I looked it up (just now as I'm writing this) to see if I am the only one who experienced it that way and this is the first google result:

That’s not the direction “Silenced” takes. By taking great care to present Tony Hughes (Rodney Burford) as a person first and a Dahmer victim second, the episode rewrites not only how people should understand his story but how all stories like it should be understood. It’s not just the strongest episode of this entire series; it’s one of the most heart-wrenching TV episodes of the year. 

https://decider.com/2022/09/23/dahmer-monster-the-jeffrey-dahmer-story-episode-6-tony-hughes/

There you go ... This one was pretty much perfect TV. 

I'm up to ep 6 of season 3 of Barry, and this is quite the gem. It's surreal in parts, which fits in with the satirical aspects of the show, but the writing in general is extremely good. Like this very episode,

Spoiler

the way they set up the ending scene is just plain good writing, from the smokescreen of detective Nguyen asking for a reunion, to the "dip your toe" comment, to the call card on the table, just great stuff

And the action sequences in this series are glorious. The whole Ronny/lily ep and the dirt bike chase are brilliantly staged. 

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Did you ever watch Ratched, Alex?

On 29/09/2020 at 11:06 AM, AC1 said:

We also saw the first episode of Ratched. And Bespin is spot on with calling it "cartoonish": The colorful sets and costumes, the agile camera work ... 

3712746.jpg

On 03/10/2020 at 3:13 AM, AC1 said:

Ratched Episode 5 'The Dance' is the best one so far. I was entertained. Do you agree, Bespin?

RATCHED_105_Unit_00345R.jpg

It's certainly better than Ryan Murphy's Hollywood.

On 04/10/2020 at 2:32 AM, AC1 said:

Ratched Episode 6 'Got No Strings' is another good one, in my book. It feels like a modern-day Hitchcock movie. So are the critics wrong about this series? Have they been dumbed-down by Stranger Things and The Mandalorian? We'll soon know. A few more eppies to go.

the-puppet-master-ratched-s1e6.png

On 08/10/2020 at 11:16 AM, AC1 said:

Finished Ratched on Netflix (other than the name there's no connection with Cuckoo's Nest) and much to my surprise I enjoyed it. In fact, I wouldn't mind a second season. 7/10

4266370932.jpg

By Ken Levine: KEVIN CAN F*** HIMSELF: My review

Kevin Can Fuck Himself

Interesting but ultimately heavily flawed drama that just ended a 2-season run (they knew season 2 would be their last going into it).

It starts out not as a drama but as a comedy, and not a modern comedy, but a classic multi-camera, filmed-in-front-of-a-studio-audience sitcom, full of all the cliches and tropes of the genre.  But then when Murphy's doofus husband leaves the room and she's on her own, the set, lighting, and filming style changes to a modern drama and the light-heartedness of how her husband treats everyone under the vineer of sitcom is revealed to show its toll on her.  By the end of hte first episode, she begins to plot his murder! 

Many other storylines stem out from that and some new characters are added to the mix, but the show never gets close to greatness.  The season plots and individual episode plots are mostly fine and the actors are all good, but the pacing is all over the place and many scenes are boring and repetitive, and many characters take forever to grow and change in a frustrating way.

I thought I'd enjoy the setting because it is set in Worcester, Massachusetts, literally the town next to the town I grew up in and only a few towns over from where I live now, but it turns out they didn't film there!  They filmed in Saugus and other towns in Massachusetts and made up fake businesses and locations instead of anything actually native to Worcester (though the Centrum and Turtle Boy statue are referenced in dialogue).  bah.

Monica and Chandler are the heart of friends.  

I love her, I love her, I love you Monica 

Monica's best trait is she knows low fat mayonnaise is not mayonnaise 

3 hours ago, Jay said:

What makes it great?

It's just my opinion I think it's a great comedy. :) The humor, bantering and actors revolving around the story plot.  Sorry I thought it was ok to post.  

Wait, why did you feel the need to apologize for something? 

I wasn't disagreeing with you, I've literally never heard of the show before, which is why I asked for elaboration!