What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

I haven't seen Mad Men, but does it sound like something extremely boring to spend hours watching to someone else?

Mad Men is nothing more than a nighttime soap opera, as is Rome, and many others, for me Mad Men is just as dull as flat white paint. At least Mad Men offers actors that would normally be on day time dramas a place to go as the daytime drama's are cancelled. rome is just a costume soap. But then so is Game of thrones.

Mad Men is a very unique show. It's starting to go overboard though. The Season 4 finale was horrible and I've only watched the premiere of Season 5. Waiting for that to hit Blu to watch the rest.

I don't think boring is the right word to describe it, but it's very difficult to get through. I think Season 1 took me like a year to watch, and it's something like 10 episodes.

Mad Men just never held my interest. It has a great cast though. Same with The Shield and Breaking Bad... I'm more partial to shows like Major Crimes (hence my avatar), The Glades, Game of Thrones, Longmire and Justified.

Mad Men just never held my interest.

Because it was done poorly or because it's deals with things that don't interest you? Mad Men is about longing for a different time, it's about life, the world, culture, chauvinism, feminism and advertising in the sixties in New York (Although the creator says it's about 'today'). To be honest, my son would scratch his head if he were to watch it. You need a certain maturity to get the most out of it. The shows you like are all police/crime shows. I haven't seen them. I do think the The Wire is brilliant but that's not really a crime show, neither is Breaking Bad.

The Shield was amazing television

I heard good things about it, but going by the pics, I've always had a bad feeling about that show. It's like it's whispering, "Move along, I'm not a show for you". I went for The Wire instead and I didn't regret it a single day. It changed my life.

Alex - drama queening

Mad Men just never held my interest.

Because it was done poorly or because it's deals with things that don't interest you? Mad Men is about longing for a different time, it's about life, the world, culture, chauvinism, feminism and advertising in the sixties in New York (Although the creator says it's about 'today'). To be honest, my son would scratch his head if he were to watch it. You need a certain maturity to get the most out of it. The shows you like are all police/crime shows. I haven't seen them. I do think the The Wire is brilliant but that's not really a crime show, neither is Breaking Bad.

it's a soap opera set in the 60's costume drama with some seriously overrated acting. January Jones could not act her way out of a paper bad, but she would look good trying. Jon Hamm has alway come across as smarmy. I have always liked Robert Morse, he's quirky and a good character actor throught the years

Breaking Bad is a morally bankrupt tv show, where the anti hero is the hero. Bryan Cranston is a fantastic actor, but this is one show that needs to die.

Plenty of room in your life for both shows. The Shield is incredible. Breaking Bad wouldn't exist without it.

This is wat I could find on the net.

"Two VERY different shows. ‘The Wire’ is more organic and immediate, while ‘The Shield’ is more story driven and visceral. ‘The Wire’ is more about location and grand themes dealing with that place, while ‘The Shield’ is more direct, following the exploits of a charismatic anti-villain."

The Shield story driven? So I was right, it's not a show for me.

Alex

I'd say The Shield is very character-driven but if you want to continue to follow the advice of random internet websites instead of people you know than suit yourself

Jason, you recommended Sherlock while I had a bad feeling about it. Following your recommendation, I took the plunge and bought the blu-ray. Except for the first episode, I didn't like Sherlock very much. For now, I have a bad feeling about The Shield. I have a bad feeling about The Fringe too.

I would never think of recommending Fringe to you.

And hey, you chose to purchase Sherlock rather than just renting/streaming it.

story drive isn't for Alex, wtf.

without a story you end up with nothing.

the Shield has a large story arc, but it could easily be described as a character driven show.

story drive isn't for Alex, wtf.

without a story you end up with nothing.

Ssshhhhhhh, he'll hear you and it might get into his brain!

the Shield has a large story arc, but it could easily be described as a character driven show.

Definitely. Just like Breaking Bad.

So you like The Shield, Joey?

I watched it the first couple of season because of Chiklis and CCH Pounder, one of my favorite character actors.

but I tired of the moral imbiguity of the main characters. Not a fan of anti hero heroes.

I'd stop in and visit the show ever so often. the acting was consistant and top notch.

I wouldn't waste a minute of my time on the Soprano's, I think over the years that I've made it clear I have zero interest in italian mobster based stories. Now I like the Untouchables because the story is told from the FBI's point of view.

I like Gandolfini quite a bit in other stuff.

Goodfellas is only worth it for Joe Pesci spazzing out. I like to spazz out, so he is the benchmark to which I aspire. But the first two Godfather movies transcend mere mob movies and are spectacular (I haven't seen Part III).

Oh yes! The Godfather is cliché after cliché. It needs to be rebooted and fast.

Are you really even aware that The Godfather is a rather faithful adaptation of a novel* written by Mario Puzo, who then collaborated on its screenplay and that of both sequels? A reboot would be completely unnecessary and the Puzo estate would and should never go for it.

Mafia movies that came after The Godfather tried to do their own thing so they wouldn't be accused of being Godfather rip-offs. A reboot of The Godfather minus its "cliches" and plot elements would not be The Godfather; it would be like every other modern mob movie, an anti-Godfather that tries to not be The Godfather for the sake of not being The Godfather. Savvy?

* I read the novel and it is wonderful, but includes unnecessary elements that were fortunately excised from the film, such as making Johnny Fontane a more prominent character and making him get his hooker girlfriend's box rebuilt by a plastic surgeon. Not necessary.

I would put The Godfather into the same short list as Jaws and The Princess Bride: movies that are better than the books on which they are based.

I would put The Godfather into the same short list as Jaws and The Princess Bride: movies that are better than the books on which they are based.

Fight Club is the winner of that category for me. (I've never read the three books you mentioned)

I'm not sure the list is exactly short. In fact, I'm convinced the list is quite long, but I don't feel like reading all the book counterparts to compare.

You don't sound like a movie fan, Wojo. If this is really how you feel (personally I don't compare apples and oranges) then I would stick to reading books.

What's cliched about The Godfather?

The whole depiction of the mafia. Real mobsters didn't talk or behave that way. Well, it wasn't a cliché at the time but over the years it has become one. I even heard some mobsters started to mimic the movie (the manners) for some reason.

Alex

Camelot is starting on TV tonight. Is it any good? I sorta have a bad feeling about it.

It's a really cheap knockoff of shows like The Tudors except its aimed toward an even younger audience. Eva Green is great to watch though (thats usually the case). But the actor who plays Arthur is just plain awful. Most of it is really laughable to be honest. If I were you, wouldn't waste my time on it.

I find it amusing how this show desperately hoped to be able to compete with Game of Thrones...

Camelot is starting on TV tonight. Is it any good? I sorta have a bad feeling about it.

It's a really cheap knockoff of shows like The Tudors except its aimed toward an even younger audience. Eva Green is great to watch though (thats usually the case). But the actor who plays Arthur is just plain awful. Most of it is really laughable to be honest. If I were you, wouldn't waste my time on it.

I find it amusing how this show desperately hoped to be able to compete with Game of Thrones...

This!

I stopped watching after 5 minutes.

Fiennes' Merlin is hilarious, though.

Oh, and The Dana Bros. score has some pretty damn good highlights.

Yes, it was a great score. The music, Eva Green and Fiennes (although I never found him as entertaining as Green) were pretty much the only decent things to get out of that load of crap.

I remember it having so many cringeworthy moments. I still don't know why I bothered to get through it all.

I have no doubt that Alex would hate it.