What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

Utterly engrossing and refreshingly candid interview with Vince Gilligan about the very nature of the modern tv show process and its success, unmissable really for anyone who is currently caught up in recent tv cult and the revival phenomenon:

I loved that Kevin Spacey would turn and talk directly to the audience. It's actually something that peters out a bit after the first few episodes and then isn't used as much as the show goes on. In fact I think there are one or two episodes where he doesn't do it at all.

The entire cast was good. I really liked the princess bride as his wife and the girl with the dragon tattoo's sister as the reporter too

Well, then the producers of House Of Cards think their audience is the dumbest the world has ever seen!

The british version used the device in a more sophisticated way, but then Richardson seems more suited to this smiling cobra stuff, anyway. There is a certain Blackadderish quality to it that Spacey could not convey.

I didn't like the rape stuff. Too gross.

The entire cast was good. I really liked the princess bride as his wife and the girl with the dragon tattoo's sister as the reporter too

oh yes the whole cast is great. But what I meant is that one should watch the show at least to see Spacey in it.

I don't think this will be sweeping the emmies thougjh.

Well, the last handful of Breaking Bad episodes are unbearable. Having to wait seven days at a time isn't what I'm used to, especially when the ramping up of the tension toward that finale is this spectacular. We've all had our theories of how it'll end, but after the first few episodes this month and the almost perfect plotting therein, all bets are off.

Homeland 3x01 Tin Man Is Down

For me, Season 1 of Homeland was amazing, and a sign of the next great television show. Then Season 2 was a huge, huge dive off the cliff - it started out fine, but got sillier and sillier until it almost reached a breaking point, before finally being saved by an explosive (heh) season finale that put it back on track as POTENTIALLY being the great show it's first season showed it could be. So how does Season 3 look?

Based on the first episode, hard to say. It's essentially all exposition, catching the viewer up on what the various characters have been up in the about 2 months that have passed since Season 2's finale. Very little is done to set up a new over-arcing story that will shape the third season - something that hurt Season 2 (a lack of focus and direction). Minor spoilers

Brody is still missing and not even the CIA can find him. Carrie is being questioned by a Congressional hearing about the bombing and how long she had knowledge of Brody's true motivations. Dana had attempted suicide (We thought we didn't remember this happening last season but I guess it's a new development) and is returning home after treatment. Saul's wife has returned, and he is having a hard time making decisions about his relationship with her and a task he has to do for the CIA.

This is all well and good, but after a disappointing second season I thought the new season premiere would start off with something a lot more exciting, but there is only one action sequence and it's rather oddly staged.

We'll keep watching but it's no longer a must-watch-on-Monday show by any means.

Season 3 is Homeland's make it or break it season. If it's great, than it's an overall great show that took a mis-step in the second season. If it's bad, then it's an overall bad show that had one amazing season to start.

I saw season 3 of THE KILLING and enjoyed it more than the barely-limping-over-the -finish-line second season. The milieu - dour and hopeless as it is - worked great in a THE WIRE-like-manner and i enjoyed both main protagonists and the kids very mich; while the end is a stunt, it does wrap things up in a neat way.

Bring on S4! (we could manage just a wee bit less seediness next time)

Season 2 wasn't soapy and wasn't ALL bad, it just lost it's way for a while in the middle/late stages of it. Nobody cared about the kids running over that guy, or Jessica/Mike drama, and there was silly stuff like Brody and Carrie getting kidnapped at various times, wireless pacemaker manipulation, people who can hide from expert SWAT teams for days, etc. Also the amount of major characters killed off made me wonder what the drive of the entire series was supposed to be. The finale at least managed to be surprised and not silly at all, setting up interesting new directions for the next season.

Unfortunately it's not clear if Season 3 will be an improvement or not yet...

The first eppies were fine, I agree. They started with a good idea but soon they desperately were looking for ways to keep the audience guessing. So much so it became too formulaic (and unbelievable).

The first eppies were fine, I agree. They started with a good idea but soon they desperately were looking for ways to keep the audience guessing. So much so it became too formulaic (and unbelievable).

Gotta agree with Alex here. The show had flaws from season 1, which overall was entertaining enough. Season 2 on the other hand took less forgivable missteps.

It's clearly not the brilliant show it was made out to be.

The A-Team

I had never seen a single episode from start to finish before watching this. I've seen the pilot and the first three regular episodes. It's dumb, it's stupid, it's really silly and it's perfect for drinking games. But it's also wonderfully unpretentious and fun. Just switch off your brain and enjoy. Wheeeeeeeee!

Was it the one where they help someone who is being threatened by ruthless criminals?

When I rewatched it in the 90's it dawned on my that every episode uses the same script!

I had a crush on Amy though.

Quite good music too...sucka!

I saw season 3 of THE KILLING and enjoyed it more than the barely-limping-over-the -finish-line second season. The milieu - dour and hopeless as it is - worked great in a THE WIRE-like-manner and i enjoyed both main protagonists and the kids very mich; while the end is a stunt, it does wrap things up in a neat way.

Bring on S4! (we could manage just a wee bit less seediness next time)

I thought Season 3 of The Killing was incredible actually. It was one of the best rebounds in television I"ve ever seen, and one of the best seasons of TV, overall, I've watched in a while. After being let down quite drastically at the end of season 1 and during season 2 (both seasons surely had its moments), I gave it another chance (as did AMC and Netflix) and I'm so glad they did. The supporting characters were more interesting, the story line was great, the episode directed by Demme was phenomenal, etc. From start to finish I was gripped (okay so the big reveal at the end left something to be desired, but at least the dialogue was good).

I hope they reup for season 4.

In retrospect, i thought the simple idea of the killer being from within the department was a good springboard, the

surprise reveal of person-close-to-Linden

just smacked too much of screen page crackling, though it worked dramatically.

Was it the one where they help someone who is being threatened by ruthless criminals?

When I rewatched it in the 90's it dawned on my that every episode uses the same script!

Yes. Which is exactly why the show is such good drinking game material. ;)

It's strange, I've never been a fan of The Daily Show (or anything political for that matter). The other day, I happened to watch a stand-up special Stewart did in the mid 90's; from what I understand it's what really put him in the spotlight. It was shockingly funny. He even says something like "I try to care about politics, but I just can't." If only he knew....

The Mindy Project 2x01 All My Problems Solved Forever...

Funny. Morgan steals the show again, and James Franco stole all his scenes too! That guy can be funny as hell sometimes. Loved the last scene with Mindy.

OK. Tried. First episode was a heavily laboured cross between SHERLOCK and CRIMINAL MINDS or similar. The main attraction seems to be that Luther is a hot-tempered choleric and roughs up his suspects.

Tried two BBC comedy shows, I'M ALAN PARTRIDGE and The Armando Iannucci Show, the first was funny in the post-millenium THE OFFICE-way, the second even had some inspired Pythonesque bits. As a downer i watched 10 minutes of the german try at THE OFFICE.