What is the last Television series you watched?

Jay

This one:

This was used for Sayid and Shannon?

I'm remembering the Heart of the Island music now. I think it was cooler than what was actually on the screen. Like someone tried really hard to make it work musically with few means and writing really fast. GRAVITAS! WE NEED GRAVITAS HERE!

No. my mistake it was Kate/Sawyer's theme that they used (or reused it for Sawyer and Kate, rather).

Speaking of love themes, there are plenty Rose/Bernard, Jinn/Sun (which I've grown to like).

Karol

There are great ones. The Desmond one is a killer, of course. Similar in tone to Liz's theme from Hellboy.

Ah! And I always liked Hurley's themes! And Ben's! And Kate's! Which some people didn't like for some reason. And Jack's!

Claire's theme at the end of Par Avion is just lovely.

Karol

As with all non-bombastic Giacchino stuff, it's all just so... ponderous. It's like this great big massive load of MEH.

Clark's little piano theme from MoS would have fit the show well. Which tended to have loads of more powerful scoring than everything in Man of Steel.

This was so awesome paired with the episode.

The submarine theme from Medal of Honor was hysterical.

I was going to post my favorite LOST theme.... But how can I pick one? They are way to many A+ themes in this one work to pick one. It truly is his magnum opus.

It's amazing given that he had 2-3 days to score and orchestrate (himself) each episode.

It's interesting that he scored one scene at at a time without knowing what came next. Or something like that. Meaning lots of improvisation without knowing what's going to be important later.

I prefer the Kryptonian theme. Strongest melody I've heard this year, off the top of my head.

You don't need to remind me of virtues of Hans' Superman score, Quinto. If I remember correctly I recommended the album to you back in June. Hans, to his credit, does more with his Superman/Krypton chords than he usually does, that's true. He even develops them.

Karol

I prefer the Kryptonian theme. Strongest melody I've heard this year, off the top of my head.

You don't need to remind me of virtues of Hans' Superman score, Quinto. If I remember correctly I recommended the album to you back in June. Hans, to his credit, does more with his Superman/Krypton chords than he usually does, that's true. He even develops them.

Karol

I told him to listen to the album too. Quint never listens until he listens!

Hans, to his credit, does more with his Superman/Krypton chords than he usually does, that's true. He even develops them.

Karol

Yes. Probably why it's literally the only Zimmer score I've rated in a decade.

Where Zimmer is concerned, I preferred Home from The Lone Ranger. I also liked the scene in question. Or Ride. Or Silver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdG9dsR1BYs

Oh The Lone Ranger is infinitely better than Man Of Steel. Top 10 of the year for sure.

I can already name 10 scores from 2013 that are better than The Lone Ranger

1. Chris Tilton - Sim City

2. Abel Korzeniowski - Escape From Tomorrow

3. Ramin Djawadi - Game Of Thrones Season 3

4. Bear McCreary - Europa Report

5. Danny Elfman - Epic

6 Brian Tyler - Now You See Me

7. Michael Giacchino - Star Trek Into Darkness

8. Ramin Djawadi - Pacific Rim

9. Henry Jackman - Turbo

10. Mark Mancina - Planes

And this is before we've heard Desolation of Smaug, The Book Thief, and whatever else is coming out in the next 3 months!

I just can't envision seeing Lone Ranger anytime. Which bodes badly for my chances of hearing the score in any sort of meaningful way.

I can't envision seeing a Snyder film ever again. I keep comparing MoS to The Lone Ranger because, because, ugh.

Why not? Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch, and Man Of Steel were all great!

I can't say I'm too excited for his Batman/Superman film though....

Why not? Dawn of the Dead, 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch, and Man Of Steel were all great!

I don't like 300 and Sucker Punch. I hated Man of Steel. Watchmen was allright. I already forgot Dawn of the Dead.

5. Danny Elfman - Epic

9. Henry Jackman - Turbo

And this is before we've heard Desolation of Smaug, The Book Thief, and whatever else is coming out in the next 3 months!

I'd add Banos' Evil Dead. Admittedly, I haven't found a lot of interesting stuff this year.

The Lone Ranger is an adequate score (3.5 stars from me) with some rather lovely moments (like Home). But overall, not as impressive as some here boast it as. Is definitely a lot better than Man of Steel though!

5. Danny Elfman - Epic

9. Henry Jackman - Turbo

I'd add Banos' Evil Dead. Admittedly, I haven't found a lot of interesting stuff this year.

The Lone Ranger is an adequate score (3.5 stars from me) with some rather lovely moments (like Home). But overall, not as impressive as some here boast it as. Is definitely a lot better than Man of Steel though!

For me it's Evil Dead, Oz, Escape from Tomorrow, Jack the Giant Slayer... and Jack Reacher and Life of Pi, if you look at the UK release dates.

And honorable mention goes to A Good Day to Die Hard which is only here because there's dozens of nods to Michael Kamen's scores and that in itselfs elevates the work.

Karol

I consider Jack Reacher and Life Of Pi as 2012 scores, as everyone should. Just go by the first release date of a film in any country when putting a score into a year.

I still need to hear Evil Dead. I wish it was on Spotify!

Did not care for Jack The Giant Slayer or Die Hard 5. Beltrami's Wolverine was better.

Oh! I completely forgot about Jack and the Giant Slayer and Oz. it seems like so long ago when I last heard them. But yes, I'd replace stuff like GoT season 3 with those.

Jack Reacher CD started shipping on January 5th, so technically it came out on that day.

Karol

It's a score to a 2012 movie. Doesn't matter when the CD came out.

Do you consider The Miracle to be a 2013 score?

You should go by the first release of the film Karol, because that's when the score first serves its primary purpose.

Fair point, but I count by CD release dates as I don't watch many films. In fact the only film of the ones mentioned that I've seen was Life of Pi.

Karol

Likewise. I'm no longer compelled to get modern scores as I once was. There's just not very interesting stuff out there...

Obviously older scores are better, and older years were filled with way more classic scores than recent years, but there's still good stuff coming out every year.

I'm not even talking about scores that are that old. This has been happening to me within the last year or two. Even with the generic stuff, there was always a really good share of hidden gems and such. But it's become increasingly difficult to find those treats, and the sound of modern film music has become increasingly bland and uninteresting. Perhaps my tastes have changed over the years, or I've become over critical, but I'd like to find to a modern score that I would play/revisit more than 2 or 3 times (unless I'm reviewing those scores) in total. This year, I think only Korzeniowski and Banos were able to do that (maybe someone else, but I don't remember at the moment).

Williams started recording for Tintin at 2010 didn't he? That doesn't make Tintin a 2010 score!