Will we ever get so excited about a JW score...

Josh500

Will we ever get SO excited about a JW score like we did before KotCS was released?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think?

• Yes, I believe so
    • No, I doubt it

...like we did before KotCS's release?

Waiting for every scrap of info, waiting for the day the audioclips are released, looking every day (hell, every few hours) whether the album is available in your local store...

Will we ever get SO excited about another JW score? I somehow don't think so, even if JW decided to do Harry Potter again.

What do you think?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Waiting for every scrap of info, waiting for the day the audioclips are released, looking every day (hell, every few hours) whether the album is available in your local store...

Will we ever get SO excited about another JW score? I somehow don't think so, even if JW decided to do Harry Potter again.

What do you think?

The Adventures Of Tintin for me.

Or any other new John Williams score for that matter.

Not really, at least as far as general hype is concerned. I am not excited about his upcoming scores as much as I used to be couple of years ago, too many recent ones have left me shiverless (I do like most of them, though). Nevertheless, I will probably get excited anyway, when it eventually comes to listening to Tintin for the first time.

And I still believe we may get something great from Williams one day or another - not Empire/ET-like great, though, but rather Schindler/Geisha-like one.

What do you think?

I avoided this site before then, as well as shortly after, at least avoided all Indy threads. I have seen the ridiculous cycle of watching people hype something up too high only to be disappointed by their own expectations too many times.

With both the score and the film, I knew next to NOTHING going in. Just like in 1981 when I saw Raiders. And I had a great night at the movies, and I got a great score.

Comparing films and scores from a time when there were few expectations to films and scores where expectations are artificially inflated is a recipe for disappointment every time, no matter the quality of the work.

I doubt it. The fact that he isn't my favourite composer isn't why though. He's slowing down, and quite a few of his more recent scores just haven't excited me.

But then Tin Tin is going to be his first animated film right? We haven't seen that side of him yet, although I hope it won't be too mickey-mousey.

No.

I wasn't that hyped for KOTCS to begin with.

Now if you tell me Black Sunday will get an expanded release, I'll be hyped as hell.

Comparing films and scores from a time when there were few expectations to films and scores where expectations are artificially inflated is a recipe for disappointment every time, no matter the quality of the work.

Yes, but these expectations are formed naturally by contact with a previous output of an artist. It's quite difficult not to expect something, when you aren't indifferent about that thing.

As for the quality of the work, it's not something that exist totally out of context. Take paintings for example - an original Picasso's work is worth great deal of money and receives praise, while it's copy - possibly identical in look and done with appropriate care (and, perhaps, even more effort so to make it look like the original); in other words: a work of the same quality - is preety much worthless.

Am I the only one who does not give a rats ass about a score's historical importance or cultural impact? I mean, to me, Indy 4 was just another upcoming JW score, despite the fact that Raiders is one of my all time favorites. I never expected it to be another Raiders, but it does happen to be the closest thing to another Raiders that exists in modern output. It is not even worse, just a little bit different. The film just does not have the same impact, for a few reasons, some of them cultural, some of them dramatic and technical. But ask a 6 year old and the difference reduces.

When I hear stuff like the warehouse fight (the new material), it seems like no time has passed whatsoever - home run - end of story. Of course it has all the alien sounding stuff at the end which is different in tone, but naturally to be expected. I do not understand how anybody could have expected anything else from this score. It is the same John Williams writing for a different film. Let's face it as well - although Williams' musical voice has changed a little, it is basically the same. It is as if people want everything to stay exactly the same without the slightest difference.

I didn't have sky-high expectations before KOTCS. I figured it'd be a fun but not terribly classic-like score, and as far as my ears can tell, I was right. I just waited it out and when I heard the score for the first time, it was during my first viewing of the film. Afterward, I didn't hesitate to buy it, and I don't regret that.

Of course yes! I'm really excited about "Tintin", "Lincoln", "Interestellar" and the two "HP and the Deathly Hallows" films, if he scores them, and I'm preety sure he will, despite what some pesimists say...

Always look on the bright side of life, right? ;)

I figured it'd be a fun but not terribly classic-like score, and as far as my ears can tell, I was right.

If film music history tells us anything, it is that today's "meh" may turn out to be tomorrow's classic.

The only score I was ever truly excited for was TPM, of course this was before we all knew how the prequels would turn out. And, I was still a college kid with nothing else going on in my life at the time.

I'm excited by any new JW score, but I don't think the pandemonium that KOTCS caused will ever be replicated again.

I'm excited by any new JW score, but I don't think the pandemonium that KOTCS caused will ever be replicated again.

Right.

If anything, Tin Tin ought to do it, but then... it won't be as big as Indy 4.

Hmm, I wasn't excited about his Kingdom of the Crystal Skull score, because I wasn't excited about the film either and felt it was a huge mistake to make it anyway. Hence, I don't own his KOTCS score. I can't remember the last time I bought a JW CD either, infact. I've head his scores in newer films like Munich and Memoirs of a Geisha , but none of his post mid 1990s scores have 'done it' for me enough to buy them. Film scores I have bought in recent years have all been been by other composers for recent or past films. Overall I don't think we'll see the same kind of scores from JW again that we had in the 70s/80s/90s, simply because movies are so different now. Actually I'm not sure why I pop into Jwfan anymore. I think it's simply because it has some people I known for 7 years ago, and some silly Other Topics posts that keep me amused. :thumbup:

No score will ever match my anticipation for RotS. Though Indy 4 did get a bit close. So is Giacchino's Star Trek, actually.

Just the fact that Williams is only writing one new score every three years is going to increase the anticpation.

What do you think?

Every time Williams puts pen to paper I get excited. Period.

What do you think?

Every time Williams puts pen to paper I get excited. Period.

Some of you guys can't either read or else misunderstood me.

The question is NOT "Will we ever get excited about a JW composition?" but "Will we ever get so excited about a JW score as before the release of KotCS?"

:)

What do you think?

I think we will. Well, at least I will. :) I know it's been very bad in case of KotCS, but I feel the same for every new soundtrack by JW, simply because it's by him and because I know that nobody else could wrote something quite like it. :)

Spielberg only produced all that other animated stuff - doesn't count in my book.

This is his first directing animation - here it's his creativity counting.

What difference does that make? I doubt Spielberg picked up a pen for the 1980s cartoons that people listed, and I doubt he'll pick up a pen for this cartoon either.

Spielberg only produced all that other animated stuff - doesn't count in my book.

This is his first directing animation - here it's his creativity counting.

What difference does that make? I doubt Spielberg picked up a pen for the 1980s cartoons that people listed, and I doubt he'll pick up a pen for this cartoon either.

Actually, when Spielberg directs, he actually DIRECTS all the movements in the frame - camera movement, actor movement, etc. He sketches storyboards and micromanages animatics in the room with the animatics animator. He will also direct the voices and come up woth on the spot changes.

In other cases, he lets the director do all that.

Hooray, here comes Indy IV: the cartoon.

He's been storyboarding and micromanaging the framing and movement since he started, so no reason to link the process to Indy 4.