Which movie impresses you more?

Josh500

Which movie impresses you more?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Your overall impression (not just the score, DUH!)

• Jurassic Park
    • Titanic

here in the states its 3 discs.

The Dutch release is 4, making it painfully obvious something got slashed at the last minute.

And I was looking forward to that making of, dammit.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Titanic was a visual achievement in realizing an entire environment 90 years after it was destroyed.

Titanic represents a lost way of life, a harsh realization that Victorian sensibility could not simply civilize and harness the natural world with its wishes, and expect it to obey.

It also represents the cause of death of 1517 people. To date, no dinosaur has ever killed a human being.

You cannot seriously judge these films by these arguments, can you?

Regardless of effects, I still pick Titanic.

It's much smarter about telling its story. It's overt and a tad lowbrow, yes, but it never tries to cheat its audience into thinking it's something more. And by taking the time to get to know the characters, you actually care for them in the second half of the film, rather than just look at the (pretty damn awesome) stunt work.

Titanic was a visual achievement in realizing an entire environment 90 years after it was destroyed.

Are we talking about CGI, practical effects, sets or everything

Because i'm being lost this these changes of POWs.

True, but we lose track of what's CGI and what's real because we lose ourselves in the reality of the ship as the setting and a character.

At what point did you notice that the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park aren't real?

The first time the Brachiosaurus appeared on screen.

Titanic represents a lost way of life, a harsh realization that Victorian sensibility could not simply civilize and harness the natural world with its wishes, and expect it to obey.

It also represents the cause of death of 1517 people.

You cannot seriously judge these films by these arguments, can you?

Seriously? No. By the same argument, Michael Bay's "Pearl Harbor" should be recognized as an honorable movie that depicts the attack in the same mesmerizing way. Instead, it cheapened history by molding a love triangle around that horrendous day.

Cameron sank a boat.

Spielberg brought dinosaurs back to life.

Advantage Spielberg.

Cameron sank a cruise liner.

Spielberg brough dinosaurs back to life, and then ruined it with the crazy continuity errors.

I'm beginning to realize how severely overrated Spielberg is as a director.

I'm beginning to realize how severely overrated Spielberg is as a director.

Did he just said that he started to realize that the director of Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders, ET, Schindler's List and couple of less-influential movies is severly overrated?

What I think he means to say is, he's begining to buy into the movement of anti-Spielbergians. It's very popular, certainly has it's alure, and has the pedigree of several notable critics behind it. It's easy to fall into in these darker days of Spielberg's career.

Whoa whoa whoa....

Let's slow down here, Spielberg is NOT overated as a director.

And seriously, Kate Winslet's boobies are not more impressive than the dinosaurs coming to life in JP. Geez....

Jurassic Park is leading the poll now.

So, this is a JW site, the poll doesn't mean anything, the real popularity contest was won by Titanic.

What I think he means to say is, he's begining to buy into the movement of anti-Spielbergians. It's very popular, certainly has it's alure, and has the pedigree of several notable critics behind it. It's easy to fall into in these darker days of Spielberg's career.

I actually like modern Spielberg more.

If you look at his filmography, his average to less-than-average films outweigh the "masterpieces." Would something like War Of The Worlds be any different if it weren't Spielberg? What about The Terminal? There is nothing particularly special about these types of films.

Kate Winslet's boobs > Dinosaurs coming back to life.

More sixteen year old boys got wet dreams from Titanic than any number of CG dinosaurs.

Advantage: Titanic.

I see a lot of talk about Titanic's VFX vs. JP or other films, including Amistad??? I guess I didn't follow that conversation in another thread.

To me the most effective FX shot from Titanic was a fleeting shot of the ship on a flat calm sea shortly before hitting the iceberg. It made me think "wow, this is what it would have been like." The launch from Southampton and Leo's "king of the world" scenes, frankly, don't. There's something very artificial and glorified about the portrayal of the ship in these scenes. I don't know, doesn't work as well for me.

I see a lot of talk about Titanic's VFX vs. JP or other films, including Amistad??? I guess I didn't follow that conversation in another thread.

To me the most effective FX shot from Titanic was a fleeting shot of the ship on a flat calm sea shortly before hitting the iceberg. It made me think "wow, this is what it would have been like." The launch from Southampton and Leo's "king of the world" scenes, frankly, don't. There's something very artificial and glorified about the portrayal of the ship in these scenes. I don't know, doesn't work as well for me.

Not for you, maybe, but it worked for the millions of teenage girls...

Titanic does it for me, in practically every category except soundtrack.

Oh, Titanic is one of Honer's best works, methinks...

Titanic is possible JH's greatest score.

I agree.

To be honest, it's hard for me to even imagine JW writing a better (or just more fitting) score...

Yeah that's why he was Cameron's first option.

No, he wasn't.

Actually, I'm pretty sure JW WOULD have written a much better score, but I just can't imagine how it would have sounded...

There'd probably been a "Rose's Theme," a "Jack's Theme," and the two intermingled "Love Theme", the "Iceberg Sequence," "The Finale", etc.

:)

yes it is a confirmed story.. I think he did Amistad instead?

Williams did 4 Movies in that year.. Tibet, Lost World, Amistad and Rosewood I think - to lazy to look.

anyway this would have been without any doubt mr. Williams Academy Award No. 6!

The Academy would have given it to Jerry Goldsmith for "L.A. Confidential" as a way-overlong, overdue 2nd Oscar :P

The Academy would have given it to Jerry Goldsmith for "L.A. Confidential" as a way-overlong, overdue 2nd Oscar :P

yes you are right - I forgot that the Academy would have gone their standard way of giving the statue to the one who does not deserve it. ;)

Williams was busy scoring TLW at the time.

I would have loved to hear a JW Titanic score, regardless of how nice TLW might be.

Jurassic Park by a long shot.

It's very simple....JP is a "classic" movie and Titanic is not.

Every movie has it's flaws if you look for them. JP is certainly one of the best action/adventure movies that has ever been made.

The sum of the parts (music, editing, direction) involved in JP is significantly greater than those in Titanic.

If Titanic is not a classic, than it would not rank 6th on AFI's list of top epic movies. That puts it above even The Ten Commandments (1959), which is certainly a classic.

I thought that one was "debunked"?

I'll have to look into that again because I thought there was an explaination for why it might "appear" to be like what you said Koray....

Wojo-

Regarding the term "classic", I'm referring to the impact that JP has had on moviemaking, interest in dinos, interest in filmmaking, groundbreaking effects, etc.

Titanic can be #1 on AFI's list for all I care....Titanic sure hasn't had a bigger impact on anything than JP did.

Also, that ranking is effed anyway. I think Saving Private Ryan should've been ranked at least higher than Titanic.

.....anyway, that's for another thread!! :P

Every movie has it's flaws if you look for them.

Yeah but JP has some big effing flaws. Like the ground behind the fence suddenly turning into a cliff.

lol! I just thought of that and thought my memory was wrong? but it is not.. isn't it?

the fence where the rex steps out is on the same side as the cliff?

weird!

I don't get the love for the scores for both movies. JP bores me, and TITANIC just seems very dull, uninspired, and occasionally far too much like Pan Pipe Moods. Then again, I much prefer Horner's 80s output. Nothing he's done in the 90s and 00s really impresses me.

Every movie has it's flaws if you look for them.

Yeah but JP has some big effing flaws. Like the ground behind the fence suddenly turning into a cliff.

Can't say I've noticed it before, but even if your logic proved to be correct, I still couldn't care less about it. Flaws in visual continuity don't interest me, especially in a movie like JP. Actually, I wouldn't even call that flaw anyway, because it isn't. As for the score, it was solely responsible for getting me into JW in the first place. It's an outstanding score.

The T-Rex scene was so well done that I never cared that suddenly there was a huge drop-off.

And apparently neither did the audience.

I remember the book being structured similarly, so when they drove past the T-Rex paddock and the power failed, the T-Rex came out and later pushed the car over a cliff, because Timmy ends up in a tree. It's been a long time since I read the book, so I don't remember if they passed once during the day, and again at night. The movie version of that particular sequence stands out in my head better than the book's.

I'd have to watch it again to be sure. But the cars do pass by the T-Rex paddock twice. In the daylight, they pass it from left to right onscreen, so the paddock is on the left side of the cars as they drive by.

2.JPG

But at night, this is what occurs:

jurassic_park_rex1.jpg

Now the paddock is on the right side of the cars. The problem now is not the cliff, it's the goat, and I'll explain. In the daylight, you don't see the cliff at all because it looks like there is level terrain on the foreground side of the cars, to their right as they sit. But at night, you don't see the foreground side of the road until the T-Rex pushes the car off the cliff. How do you explain this?

Simple. Because the cars drive by the T-Rex paddock in two different directions, the road-embedded monorail track for the cars is set up in a loop pattern around the park. This makes sense so that cars coming in don't have to turn around to come back out, maximizing your efficiency at keeping visitors going through the park. It also means that cars would drive past the T-Rex -- obviously the star of the park -- twice, once in each direction. And there are clearly not two rails running side by side.

The problem is the goat. We see the goat revealed during the daylight, and then we see its tether empty at night. Unless there is one goat placed at each viewer demonstration area alongside the track, we have a continuity error, and there really is a turnaround section of track. A turnaround section of track makes no sense from a logistic point of view, because you could only send so many cars into the park, and then would have to wait for them all to turn around before sending the first car back down the straight track. This would still get you the T-Rex twice, but now you can't send any more visitors into the park until the very last car comes back. Even if you've got two turnaround sections -- imagine a circular track smashed into a wide figure 8, where the long straightaway is your one direction at a time crossover -- you've still created a terrible bottleneck.

The audience is not supposed to be this smart.

No the goat is there at night. We see the T-Rex gulp him down. And yes the cars do circle around come back on the same track.

There's 2 explanations:

There is a cliff in the paddock and the ground where the T-Rex is standing is level with the fence.

Or there is a moat like cliff that is between the level ground and the fence, the T-Rex is big enough to step over once she realizes the fence is no longer powered. For the sake of the tree scene the moat is widened much like the chasm in TOD is made deeper(the on-location side views show a much shallower chasm compared to the above blue screen shots that show a much deeper ravine when the Thugee's are falling.).