Which movie impresses you more?

Josh500

Which movie impresses you more?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Your overall impression (not just the score, DUH!)

• Jurassic Park
    • Titanic

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. I think JP tried to be Jaws on land, but it didn't (quite) succeed.

The boxoffice results are another matter of course.

It's nothing like 'Jaws', unfortunately. More like 'Deep Blue Sea'....

I liked 'The Lost World' better...here the shoddiness was part of the deal and on that level i could enjoy the 'King Kong' finale and even the silly gymnastics. Spielberg's action directing in this one was rather superb (the Van, the raptors in the grass etc.).

I agree with those who said the film Jurassic Park is better than the novel. I used to consider Michael Crichton a favorite of mine, but after re-reading most of his works in honor of him after his death, I realized that I do not like his writing very much. They were very entertaining reads, and a great way to pass those long bus rides to and fro school, but I cannot think of a single Michael Crichton novel that I liked in retrospect. I feel that he...rambled too much, and I am not referring to the technical material.

EVERY film has some sort of error continuity or other wise in it. No film is absolutely 100% perfect.

Of course, but I'm not talking about mere continuity errors like the ones Josh brought up. I'm talking about plot holes. Well, yes, some of the ones I mentioned were mere continuity errors, but the ground turning into a cliff. That's a major ass problem that affects the story.

The ground/cliff thing is an error but it could have made sense how it was presented. If the T-Rex just pushed the car over the other side of the roadway or something. When you see them going down, it's obvious it's a huge drop-off next to the T-Rex paddock...but that makes no sense. They wouldn't put a 400 ft. drop that could potentially kill the animal.

I liked 'The Lost World' better...here the shoddiness was part of the deal and on that level i could enjoy the 'King Kong' finale and even the silly gymnastics. Spielberg's action directing in this one was rather superb (the Van, the raptors in the grass etc.).

Jurassic Park was a LOT better than The Lost World, I thought. Overall, including story.

Jurassic Park was a LOT better than The Lost World, I thought. Overall, including story.

Both are bad films, the second is just more honest...and thus, more fun.

King of the Hill:

http://www.jplegacy.org/home.php?load=jura.../ffjpking.shtml

Flying into the sunset:

http://www.jplegacy.org/home.php?load=jura...fjpsunset.shtml

Oh, and the dilophosaur that attacks Nedry withing his car is bigger than the other that he encounters first.

if he is he's an idiot.

Normally I wouldn't go along with you on such a harsh statement, Joey...but here I'm gonna have to agree with you.

if he is he's an idiot.

Normally I wouldn't go along with you on such a harsh statement, Joey...but here I'm gonna have to agree with you.

well he's entitled to think what he wants, afterall there are many here who think I'm an idiot for thinking Fight Club is a bad film. but I am right of course

Ah, convenient wording to hide the true meaning of your post: "Jurassic Park is a bad film and anyone who disagrees has no taste whatsoever."

How many times did one of your almighty professors proof-read that one, Henry?

Jurassic Park, minus the revolutionary special effects, is just a waste.

Um....okaaayyyy.....

How's this - Jurassic Park, minus the awesome action sequences, amazing music, great character acting by Goldblum, groundbreaking effects, CG/anamatronic dinos, and great direction by Spielberg, is just a waste.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it all you JP bashers and continuity/error freaks.

Don't forget the absolutely terrific pacing.

.....that too! :lol:

Yeah, there's a few more things you could add to my list, as I just don't think it's complete......

This week it is the 1st time i had read such harsh remarks about JP. Just yesterday, i saw a review in a magazine because it aired on TV. Rating one star (=entertaining). And the text basically was: With amazing special effects, Spielberg once again achieved a blockbuster. A flat film that even though the dinosaurs 'are' real, it does not suffice to redeem it.

I know it is not a masterpiece, but i thought it was regarded highly. It seems, as time passes it is critisized more and more.

In a few years it will be considered a very bad movie :lol:

a car without an engine doesn't run.

could you come up with a more lame statement.

How's this - Jurassic Park, minus the awesome action sequences, amazing music, great character acting by Goldblum, groundbreaking effects, CG/anamatronic dinos, and great direction by Spielberg, is just a waste.

I honestly right now can't remember any particularly great action sequences (few action sequences at all). And pretty much all the plot and purpose of the novel was taken away for the film. So what remains, looking at your list, are great effects, a great score, some good acting and a good direction. Not enough to constitute a great movie (from these points, the only difference to the SW prequels is that Spielberg is a better director).

a car without an engine doesn't run.

And a great engine with a wobbly body, poor traction, bad electronics and uncomfortable seats doesn't make a great car. :P

if he is he's an idiot.

So i have Larry, Moe and Curly against me? Almighty lord, i'll have to reconsider then.

He's got a kick-ass dynamic going there. A real adventure vibe to the film, irrelevent of the dinos. It's an exciting film, with a nice sense of place.

I'm not ashamed to admit my adoration for Jurassic Park, which largely stems from the fact that it influenced a great deal of my childhood. But aside from that, I agree with what Morlock and others have said; it's a fun popcorn flick which, like it or not, has really become an icon of '90s.

I honestly right now can't remember any particularly great action sequences (few action sequences at all). And pretty much all the plot and purpose of the novel was taken away for the film. So what remains, looking at your list, are great effects, a great score, some good acting and a good direction. Not enough to constitute a great movie (from these points, the only difference to the SW prequels is that Spielberg is a better director).

Who's debating greatness here? People were saying it's a bad movie, and I'm gonna have to say that's pretty ridiculous. Transformers was a bad movie. Jurassic Park is decent at worst, IMO. However, I think it's terrific for what it is: a nicely made monster movie.

JP is one of SS's best.

Top 10 material probably

if he is he's an idiot.

So i have Larry, Moe and Curly against me? Almighty lord, i'll have to reconsider then.

It's bad enough to call Jurassic Park a bad movie, but to actually say The Lost World is better? Come on now.

Jurassic Park and The Lost World are pretty different in their approach. JP wowed us with the dinosaurs, TLW didn't need to do that. I haven't seen TLW in it's entirety recently, but I'd probably say that it's the more entertaining film. It's got some fantastic action sequences, and an equally great score.

It does have a great score and there are some effective scenes, but that doesn't stop it from being one of Spielberg's worst movies to date.

So you're saying JP the score is a waste...

OKAY!

...And Michael Bay will be considered a revolutionary genius!

No, that will never happen. ;) Not even when the world goes down.

Jurassic Park and The Lost World are pretty different in their approach. JP wowed us with the dinosaurs, TLW didn't need to do that. I haven't seen TLW in it's entirety recently, but I'd probably say that it's the more entertaining film. It's got some fantastic action sequences, and an equally great score.

No, the action sequences are better in JP, I think.

After all, what memorable action sequences are there in TLW, except maybe in San Diego (which weren't all that memorable, either).

After all, what memorable action sequences are there in TLW, except maybe in San Diego (which weren't all that memorable, either).

The trailer scene. The guy getting killed by the Compys.

The original Jurassic Park is an unforgettable movie for those who saw it in theatres. Not just for the effects, but for the sheer spectacle.

Oh, and it got bad reviews right away. My local paper said it was JAWS without character development. Problem with that review is there was not so much character development in JAWS either (other than the main character overcoming a fear of water).

I still watch Jurassic Park once in a while and get quite freaked out when the T-Rex is stepping on the car with Joey Mazello trapped inside. The movie does have characters, Grant does develop at least as much as Brody, and Hammond obviously develops the most.

Jaws is far less cartoonish.

At least Brody's fear of water is relevant to the film. (fueling his fears of the shark, and making him the odd man out during his shark hunt with Quint and Hooper, both experts in their own ways)

Grant not liking kids has nothing to do with the dino's.

Hammond might as well be Murray Hamilton. 'Look, it'll be great, don't worry about anything, it'll be fine, just a small hiccup, I know what I'm doing, uh oh it's all gone tits up, better repent!'

And his coming to like the kids doesn't really make much of a difference. Jaws had a plot within which the characters could interact, JP didn't have much of that. They stripped away the "issues" (which were handled well in the novel), stripped away one of the most exciting sequences of the book, and then turned Hammond into a much too sympathetic character for my taste (this one's debatable, perhaps, but I thought his book version made much more of an impression). Malcolm's best moments are also missing (that they revived him for the sequel is of course Crichton's own fault).

I saw it theatrically when it came out, when I was 14 years old, and already back then I was somewhat disappointed (I'd just read the book beforehand) although also very impressed (only a year or two later would I realise that much of this was due to the music). I still enjoy it when I watch it occasionally, but each time I get more annoyed by its issues. I wouldn't call it a bad film, but with so many people here calling it a great film, all the negativity here barely manages to balance the collective opinion. ;)

Murray Hamilton was more realisic though.

He also wasn't turned into the Hollywood family-friendly softie Hammond became in the film.

The original Jurassic Park is an unforgettable movie for those who saw it in theatres. Not just for the effects, but for the sheer spectacle.

Oh, and it got bad reviews right away. My local paper said it was JAWS without character development. Problem with that review is there was not so much character development in JAWS either (other than the main character overcoming a fear of water).

I still watch Jurassic Park once in a while and get quite freaked out when the T-Rex is stepping on the car with Joey Mazello trapped inside. The movie does have characters, Grant does develop at least as much as Brody, and Hammond obviously develops the most.

Jaws having not much character development might be a valid point but considering the character arcs why should there be. That certainly doesn't make the acting in Jaws any less terrific. In the 70's they didn't talk about the acting in Jaws, but now going on 35 years later they should, its stands up so well. The Trio is dynamic, engaging, funny, etc. When you feel fear through a character like Quint who is supposedly fearless then I'd say Shaw was doing something fantastic. Schieder's performance is so well done, I can't understand how the critics missed in back in 75.

Jaws is far less cartoonish.

At least Brody's fear of water is relevant to the film. (fueling his fears of the shark, and making him the odd man out during his shark hunt with Quint and Hooper, both experts in their own ways)

Grant not liking kids has nothing to do with the dino's.

I beg to differ. But it is far more smooshy and Koepp-ish a connection. It is the whole thing about taking responsibility for your creations like they were your children. Life finds a way and all that. That man seems like he must spend most of his time on the therapist couch by the scripts he writes. "I'm safe in my space" "He left us!" "You never keep your promises" "Don't be a CHILD!" blah blah blah. Such hamfistedly done themes that Spielberg handles better in his own three scripts for Close Encounters, Poltergeist and AI.

I think a tough guy is far more popular than a smooshie guy, so Brody > Grant, at least for the male audiences, and anybody who appreciates more subtle and realistic acting. I think by the time Spielberg got to JP, he had more clout, which means that actors defer to him and the script rather than workshopping scene by scene.

The trailer scene. The guy getting killed by the Compys.

The raptor attack in the tall grass.

Jaws is not cartoonish at all. thankfully Spielberg never really went beyond the aggressive and angry nature of a great white. GW's have jumped on boats, punched holes in them, and of course devoured men. We may not be their normal food, but those PC experts lie out their asses when they say they mistake us for food. If we're in the water, then we are food.

"Don't be a CHILD!"

That line is very fine in KOTCS.

Whose father has not said it at least once to us when we were in our teens?

And who hasnt acted once or twice like a child in those years?