Vinyl

Trent Hoyt

A lot of my LP's are second hand or very very old.

For some season Star Wars has a lot less noise despite it being a well worn album than The Phantom Menace, which i played for the first time ever and had lots of pops and crackles 

• 2 months later...

It's hip, to be square.

On 8/13/2019 at 3:52 PM, Stefancos said:

A lot of my LP's are second hand or very very old.

For some season Star Wars has a lot less noise despite it being a well worn album than The Phantom Menace, which i played for the first time ever and had lots of pops and crackles 

The original vinyl pressing of STAR WARS is quite heavy. I wouldn't say that was 180gm heavy, but it wasn't far off.

7 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It's hip, to be square.

The original vinyl pressing of STAR WARS is quite heavy. I wouldn't say that was 180gm heavy, but it wasn't far off.

180 grams for the two, right?

10 hours ago, Thekthithm said:

Whoa this is heavy.

There's that word again. Heavy. Why are things so heavy in the future, is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?

When the kids are older and I've decluttered the house of their shrapnel I might invest in a record player myself, try and get back into a bit of physical media collecting again. Relive my single and irresponsible days.

Either that or buy a classic car with a soft top, like a right dickhead.

28 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Why'd you do that, Lee, they are good films (unless you replaced them with Blu Rays)?

I'm quite ruthless about clearing out material possessions, so it made sense to me at the time to let the DVDs go (they'd been well used) with the aim to upgrading to the blu-rays, which I eventually did. I only own the theatrical cuts though, and I'm dissatisfied with the image quality (and the colour grading), so I'm hoping the upcoming 4K releases will see the theatricals included and with the vague hope that the colour tones will be corrected.

And only the EE. I would never throw out these beautiful EE DVD boxes in favour of that ugly bluray case though, I'd switch the discs!

I've noticed that all the Hi-Fi reviewers do their reviews while using vinyl, not CD. Perhaps audiophile was never about quality and more about being trendy?

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, AC1 said:

Wow, record of the month clubs are back! Big companies decide what you buy and what you listen to! 

amazon_vinyl_month_club_main_website_162

https://www.whathifi.com/news/amazon-vinyl-of-the-month-club-promises-golden-era-record-delivery

:folder:

Columbia House was the bane of my young existence in the early-mid '90s. But at least with Amazon, sending things back is a piece of cake, so this could be the rare thing that gets resuscitated and happens to be better the second time around.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Okay, this issue has probably been discussed before, but I’d like to ask for your opinions anyway.

I want to buy Beethoven’s Eroica recorded by Karajan in 1977. For some reason, every CD I find (yes, I’m buying stuff I love physically) comes with a Leonore overture, just to fill up space, I guess, because we obviously cannot have the Eroica on its own, because DG. I can get it on vinyl, however.

Now my question is, will the vinyl sound as good as the digital transfer? I am obviously aware that there will be little cracks and pops, but I’m talking about the sound in general. Will the vinyl have the same awe-inspiring, echoey sound? I know some people claim that vinyl sounds better than CDs, but was never able to check myself.

I’m only looking at the vinyl because I refuse point-blank to invest money in music I know I will skip. People have said ‘what’s one track?’, but I don’t want to go there because one track can often mean 18 minutes in classical music and I want to love everything on my shelf, I don’t want to sort of like a record since that only leads to excessive buying.

A good question, @bollemanneke.

The general rule of thumb regarding all ways to listen music, is: "It's only as good as what it's played played on". 

A system consisting of separates to the value of, say, £600, is not going to offer you the sort of information retrieval and presentation (presence; separation; sound stage), that you might find in a system that costs £6,000.

As for CDs: when they first came out, they were touted as sounding "better (whatever that means) than vinyl", when, in fact, quite opposite was true. Vinyl did used to sound deeper and richer than CD, but that was only because the technology was in its infancy. It should also be remembered that CDs were never meant to sound like vinyl, instead, offering the listener an altogether different musical experience.

Compare a CD from 1985, to a remastered version of the same music, but from 2015. Does it sound better? Maybe. Does it sound different? Definitely. Does it sound better than your vinyl from 1985? Only you can say. Certainly, CDs remastered using today's technology can sound remarkably close to what the vinyl sounded like, back in the day.

I'm assuming that you own a turntable? 

Examine it. Could it do with a new cartridge? What about a power supply? 

I'm not trying to fudge the issue, here, but there are so many variables to consider. As with all things musical; let your ears be the final arbiter. 

To get back to your original question: you'll only know if the vinyl matches your expectations, once you've placed it on the deck, put the diamond to the plastic, settled back in your favourite armchair, and listened to it. 

Thank you. The first thing I did is probably not reliable at all, I looked up YouTube rips of the vinyl. I found three separate uploads, all of which most definitely sounded less good than the digital version I fell in love with, so I'm having misgivings now.

• 1 month later...

Came across a nice copy of E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL original vinyl. Having almost every cd release, do you think it is worth to pick up? Thanks!

32 minutes ago, Juanki said:

Came across a nice copy of E.T. THE EXTRATERRESTRIAL original vinyl. Having almost every cd release, do you think it is worth to pick up? Thanks!

It might have some kind of archival value, for you.

Silly question, but...do you have anything to play it on?

In which country was it issued?

If you can, try to pick up the Japanese OST, as it's pressed on heavy, virgin vinyl.

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

It might have some kind of archival value, for you.

Silly question, but...do you have anything to play it on?

In which country was it issued?

If you can, try to pick up the Japanese OST, as it's pressed on heavy, virgin vinyl.

It is the spanish pressing and yes, I have a way to play it :)

Actually, I've been buying some old vinyl releases and found they sound extremely great ('Under Fire' for example)