Maurice Jarre 1924-2009

Morlock

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, this is quite a bomb as I've been a fan of both Father and Son,since 17 or so.

On this particular occasion I think his surreal and flowy score for Mosquito Coast will be fitting.

In the last few weeks I had managed to get hold of his score he wrote for The Message.

This is very sad news. He composed some of the most memorable scores since the 50s. I feel for his family. I love the music of his son Jean-Michel Jarre, and wish him well in this difficult time.

I didn't even know he was still alive.

I hate to admit this, but I didn't either.

Make that three. Shame, he did do some great work.

RIP ;) Yet another of the grand old men of film music passes.

ROTFLMAO Lawrence of Arabia

One of my favourite film composers was died. I was very sad to hear the news of Maurice's passing and had been listening to SCHOOL TIES, A PASSAGE TO INDIA and TOPAZ yesterday afternoon while preparing dinner. His work will be forever associated with Sir David Lean and for that reason I shall be playing the piece he wrote for Sir David's funeral: "Remembrance". A very, very sad time for film music fans.

Hitch

If a composer could write one epic score in their career, like Lawrence of Arabia or Doctor Zhivago, some would say that was enough of a legacy. Maurice Jarre gifted the world with so many, that it seems almost impossible.

And now he's gone...

RIP Monsieur Jarre

BKL who will now listen to "Building the Barn" from Witness. (My personal favourite)

Very sad news indeed. I mainly knew him because of Witness, Mosquito Coast, The Bride and Ghost and while I couldn't appreciate his music as much as I do others I did have some of his music. I especially enjoyed Witness and found it to be a really great score.

It's even more sad to know that we have lost another much loved composer. These last 5 years have seen some the loss of some great names in film music.

R.I.P.

If a composer could write one epic score in their career, like Lawrence of Arabia or Doctor Zhivago, some would say that was enough of a legacy. Maurice Jarre gifted the world with so many, that it seems almost impossible.

And now he's gone...

RIP Monsieur Jarre

BKL who will now listen to "Building the Barn" from Witness. (My personal favourite)

Thank you Mr. Jarre for all of your music:

Listening to my favoutire track now: "Building the Barn" from "Witness"

Funny that I read your comments exactly when this track was on...

- Chris, who has been listening to his Jarre's collection since morning...

He wasn't spoken of enough around these parts imo, Jarre was most famous for Lawrence of Arabia, but his wonderfully romantic score to Doctor Zhivago was just as memorable. RIP.

I'm afraid the only score of his I have is Lawrence. And I can only think of two more I've heard in films, both long ago. Zhivago for example I've never heard at all. Isn't there a Gerhardt compilation of Jarre scores?

At least 84 is quite an impressive age.

Another great and illustrious composer gone, and no one coming to replace the greatness.

Hmm, I'm not sure. Composers like Maurice Jarre were lucky to pop up in that golden era when film music really began to stand out with memorable themes that people carried away with them from the cinema, and also began being released on LP to play. A lot of it also has to do with length of career and age too, in my opinion. In 30 years time (if humanity makes it, of course) a few of the composers of film music today may be looked back on fondly as rich fine wines I'm sure, and there will be a new generation that will see those now old folks as the last of a dying breed. And there was a lot that Maurice did after the notable epic films that wasn't really taken much notice of when he began using very subtle or fully electronic scores. Goldsmith and Poledouris too, in my opinion. People just tend to really notice it when they die, that's all. Stable door, horse, etc.

Hey, I just realized he was "only" 8 years older than John Williams...

:(

Yeah well John Williams doesn't have cancer like Jarre did. Morricone is composing fine well into his 80's.

I believe that if John Williams was with cancer, it wouldn't be let out. He seems to be a very discreet person.

Hey, I just realized he was "only" 8 years older than John Williams...

:lol:

Yeah well John Williams doesn't have cancer like Jarre did. Morricone is composing fine well into his 80's.

I believe that if John Williams was with cancer, it wouldn't be let out. He seems to be a very discreet person.

:cool:

Let's all keep this thread respectful as we pay our condolences toward the loss of Mr. Jarre.

Anything else can be discussed via PM or another thread.

There goes the last Golden Age Hollywood composer.

Just a few days a go I thought about it and was happy that he was still among us.

RIP.