Do you hear a difference?

Josh500

Watch this. At 3:33 JW tells the horn players "Do it again." They play, and he says, "But still not good. Ta-ti tatata. Agree about the length of the long note." They play again, and he says, "Much better."

Do you hear a difference? Or was that scene just edited together? What do you think? :)

Across the Stars ;)

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the youtube sound quality isn't so bad!

YouTube can have reasonably good sound quality, but even the best doesn't come anywhere near what you'd hear on CD or DVD, naturally. And this video has far from the best sound quality possible on YouTube. There are a LOT of nuances that can't be heard.

YouTube can have reasonably good sound quality, but even the best doesn't come anywhere near what you'd hear on CD or DVD, naturally. And this video has far from the best sound quality possible on YouTube. There are a LOT of nuances that can't be heard.

Yes, you're right, but JW was concerned about the length of the notes....

Right. But if two horn players were playing slightly different note lengths - and with players of this caliber, it would be a very slight difference - the poor sound quality could easily obscure that. But again, it could just be the editing. We've all seen the ubiquitous videos of Williams conducting on completely different beats or even tempi or meters from what we're hearing, simply because the editor wasn't a musician.

I can hear a differance - some of the horn players are playing some notes longer than the others.

Not every player is playing exsactly the same.

I am a pro classical musician so can easly tell these things.

Right. But if two horn players were playing slightly different note lengths - and with players of this caliber, it would be a very slight difference - the poor sound quality could easily obscure that. But again, it could just be the editing. We've all seen the ubiquitous videos of Williams conducting on completely different beats or even tempi or meters from what we're hearing, simply because the editor wasn't a musician.

It's the second note they play...some of the horn players were putting space after that note, others were holding it until starting the third note.

I don't think there's any funny editing going on there - two different performances IMO.

Now Rick McCallum's "John is such a wonderful conductor composer..." *cheese alert*.

McCallum's comments are just pure and utter cheese. Every time.

Lucas is not much better though. "I look SW films as basically silent movies..." Every time the same line.

And I don't think there is any editing going on in this part of the clip. JW is just rehearsing the orchestra and the documentary comes in in the middle of it, just after the horns have played the part. And the video is not of the best quality so it is hard to judge how JW hears the difference in their performance.

Serious question...are you deaf?

That better not be an insult to those who are hard of hearing....

Hm, I just watched the video, and I must admit that I cannot determine a difference, either....

I did find this video, though, which is supposedly in high quality (at least, that is what I assume the "HQ" to represent). To be honest, I still cannot hear a difference, but maybe you people can hear something that I cannot.

This featurette was planned to be on the DVD but was dropped. There were Video Tapes and DVDs floating arround in 2002 to promote Episode II and they included Featurettes like: "Lovestory" "Action" "The Music" etc.. when the DVD contenet was officially listed on the net I was dissapointed to find all the featurettes being included but NOT the one about the music!

however, if you had the DVD and an Internetconnection, you were able to download it from the DVDs exclusive online content.

it is a 18MB big .mov file with a resulition of 320 x 180, it is mono but it has better quality as youtube of course

If anybody is interested PM me, I upped it on Rapidshare

I don't think there's any funny editing going on there - two different performances IMO.

Now Rick McCallum's "John is such a wonderful conductor composer..." *cheese alert*.

Yes, I much prefer the honesty of the guys on the Superman doc.

"John Williams is a master!"

"When he gets with a 100 piece orchestra and he begins to go... it's just so thrilling."

:P

Yes, I much prefer the honesty of the guys on the Superman doc.

"John Williams is a master!"

"When he gets with a 100 piece orchestra and he begins to go... it's just so thrilling."

:P

yet I still prefer the music for "Missouri Breaks" over "Superman: the Film"

Thanks for the 5 seconds false hope the recording sessions had leaked

i've never seen this..is that on the DVD?

Welcome, that's what I do! :lol:

I can hear a differance - some of the horn players are playing some notes longer than the others.

Not every player is playing exsactly the same.

I am a pro classical musician so can easly tell these things.

Yes, that's what I was thinking. VERY VERY slight difference, but to John Williams it's MUCH better! ;)

Serious question...are you deaf?

No, but serious question... are you dumb? :P

McCallum's comments are just pure and utter cheese. Every time.

Lucas is not much better though. "I look SW films as basically silent movies..." Every time the same line.

Yes, Rick McCallum's the worst. I can't stand the guy.

George Lucas at least knows what he's talking about, but Rick's just there to kiss everyone else's butt...

Thanks for the 5 seconds false hope the recording sessions had leaked

i've never seen this..is that on the DVD?

Mark, there would have been uproar here if any of the prequel sessions were leaked - you should know that. Remember what happened when the FSM podcast had 30 seconds of unreleased Temple music?

I generally hate producer comments on documentaries. Full of cheese, utmost praise for everyone, and an assurance that it's the best picture ever made.

Ah, I see. I haven't heard The Missouri Breaks so I wouldn't know. Having said that, I suspect some people may disagree with you.

Here

At 2:37 of Across the Stars you can hear the final version. Sounds somehow a lot more tighter and better. Seems like JW made them practice a few more times...

:lol:

It's the second note they play...some of the horn players were putting space after that note, others were holding it until starting the third note.

I hear it too. I think for those of us that conduct/rehearse for a living are just that much more sensitive to it.

That's an interesting way of thinking of it - I never connected it with her royalty, but I can totally hear that now. It always just sounded more...ominous to me, I guess. The strings are slithering through the passage, and you get that woodwind statement of the theme, and then the horns come in, and it's like they're saying, "Something not so good is coming."

It always just sounded more...ominous to me, I guess. The strings are slithering through the passage, and you get that woodwind statement of the theme, and then the horns come in, and it's like they're saying, "Something not so good is coming."

I agree..

yes that b-section of Across the Stars was always my favourite. I share your view it has that "Love-in-danger-feeling" to it. it is very clever structured - much cleverer than the a-section

yes that b-section of Across the Stars was always my favourite. I share your view it has that "Love-in-danger-feeling" to it. it is very clever structured - much cleverer than the a-section

I would say that it is the C-section as the theme is clearly divided into 3 distinctive parts. The string figure undernearth the brass is actually the theme for Anakin's fall to the dark side which is heard in the Confession scene and subtly in other parts of the score and in Episode III. Another great musical story telling moment. First the Love theme section A expressing the love of the main protagonists, then the bittersweet B section that tells clearly that their love is forbidden and will end in tragedy and finally the dark C-section depicting Anakin's fall because of his love for his mother and especially Padmé.

I would say that it is the C-section as the theme is clearly divided into 3 distinctive parts. The string figure undernearth the brass is actually the theme for Anakin's fall to the dark side which is heard in the Confession scene and subtly in other parts of the score and in Episode III. Another great musical story telling moment. First the Love theme section A expressing the love of the main protagonists, then the bittersweet B section that tells clearly that their love is forbidden and will end in tragedy and finally the dark C-section depicting Anakin's fall because of his love for his mother and especially Padmé.

aaaaahhh yes. I forgot about that wonderful sweeping, tragic secondary lovetheme..

yes it has to be the C section then.

That's an interesting way of thinking of it - I never connected it with her royalty, but I can totally hear that now. It always just sounded more...ominous to me, I guess. The strings are slithering through the passage, and you get that woodwind statement of the theme, and then the horns come in, and it's like they're saying, "Something not so good is coming."

:D Yes!

I can hear it...

And speaking of nobility, listen to "He Is The Chosen One" at 3:28-3:38. It's just a few notes, but JW makes it sound SO noble when the Queen appears for a short time. This has always been one of my favorite subtle moments in TPM. 3:28-3:38

No difference can be heard.

He is just talking to the cameras.

An the second horn player looks like very bored...

And they all look slightly pissed off too...

Based on what some people, who have attended scoring sessions, have reported, they aren't what most people expect. They can be rather monotonous. A lot of long hours and the musicians, as professional as they are, probably tire of playing take after take of the same music.

And that doesn't count the studio execs/directors who are panicking or trying to interject what little they know about music.

And that doesn't count the studio execs/directors who are panicking or trying to interject what little they know about music.

'This is too boring! Quick, play Yoda's theme! Do I look like a guy who cares about context? Something cool is happening, PLAY THE DAMN THEME!

Leitmotif? Isn't that a German sausage?'

No difference can be heard.

He is just talking to the cameras.

An the second horn player looks like very bored...

And they all look slightly pissed off too...

Based on what some people, who have attended scoring sessions, have reported, they aren't what most people expect. They can be rather monotonous. A lot of long hours and the musicians, as professional as they are, probably tire of playing take after take of the same music.

Yeah, and don't think there isn't a little "Who does this guy really think he is?" running through their heads too. I mean, we all know the incident with JW and the Boston Pops back in the early 80's.

Yeah, and don't think there isn't a little "Who does this guy really think he is?" running through their heads too. I mean, we all know the incident with JW and the Boston Pops back in the early 80's.

LSO is highly professional... not like BPO!

And anyway, it'd be kinda weird when the horn players were grinning from ear to ear like infatuated school girls at the chance to play (and hear!) the new Star Wars score...

And anyway, it'd be kinda weird when the horn players were grinning from ear to ear like infatuated school girls at the chance to play (and hear!) the new Star Wars score...

That would be me. :lol:

Ditto

Probably the horn players were too. But when JW made them repeat that passage 30 times, those grins wore off, as likely as not. :lol:

That would be me. ROTFLMAO

Probably the horn players were too. But when JW made them repeat that passage 30 times, those grins wore off, as likely as not. :lol:

That's why they're the LSO and not the Greater East Hoople Off-Season Orchestra.

That would be me. ROTFLMAO

Probably the horn players were too.

Yeah, sure, they probably were!