Twilight

Josh500

Has anyone read the book or seen the movie? What did you think of it? Any input is appreciated. ;)

BTW, some may think this is a movie/book just for teenage girls, but I think it'd be a mistake to underestimate it...

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't read the book, but I've seen the movie.

My wife is a school librarian, so she's a big fan. I am a fan of classic horror movies, so this style of vampire story really doesn't do much for me. I like my vampires with fangs, burning in sunlight, with lots of bloody stakings, thank you.

However, having said that, you have to admire that this movie was made on a tiny budget, and it is a full blown phenomena with young adults. For what it sets out to accomplish, it's fine and pretty harmless.

So, if you are over 17 years old, watch it, and set your expectations low, and you'll be just fine.

I'm usually not a fan of vampires or teenage movies, but just the fact that this one seems to captivate so many young people fascinates me.

I'm in the process of reading the book (although I know how it turns out), and I'm gonna rent the movie when it's released on DVD...

I'm usually not a fan of vampires or teenage movies, but just the fact that this one seems to captivate so many young people fascinates me.

Harry Potter did the same thing. Would any of us be talking about Harry Potter if JW didn't score the films?

I hate both. Maybe because I cannot stand to hear every girl at my school swoon over Robert Pattison (seriously, that guy looks creepy) and how jealous they are of Isabella Swan, but I just cannot force myself to enjoy it.

And glittering vampires?What! Might as well give Josey Whales a tutu!

Twilight is nothing but Dawson's Creek with fangs.

Agreed.

I got stuck (no pun intended) watching this on the way to New York last week. I had a near riot on the bus when I said it was third in line of movies to watch.

I really found it to be nothing more than Buffy the Vampire Slayer from Angel's point of view. And I'm still confused about whether or not the female lead in that movie was now a vampire herself at the end or what.

I thought that Ashley Greene was so damn cute.

Is she the lead female? Me too.

I have zero interest otherwise. And I'm sure it's nowhere near the brilliance of Buffy or Angel.

My girlfriend made me watch it and I don't know if I'll ever forgive her. It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen, probably only beaten by Jaws: The Revenge. It would be almost funny if it didn't take itself so serious. It's such a stupid movie, I mean, the baseball scene, come on...

I thought that Ashley Greene was so damn cute.

Is she the lead female? Me too.

No, Kristen Stewart is the lead female.

Oh. Well whoever it is she's decent on the eyes. I saw a life sized cardboard cutout of her in Hastings last week as part of the DVD release.

My girlfriend made me watch it and I don't know if I'll ever forgive her. It's one of the worst movies I've ever seen, probably only beaten by Jaws: The Revenge. It would be almost funny if it didn't take itself so serious. It's such a stupid movie, I mean, the baseball scene, come on...

Watching Twilight for your girlfriend is like watching Grease with your girlfriend. You better be getting something out of it afterwards.

Watching Twilight for your girlfriend is like watching Grease with your girlfriend. You better be getting something out of it afterwards.

My girlfriend's not interested in watching either of those.

My girlfriend's not interested in watching either of those.

You don't know how lucky you are.

This is sorta funny this topic has been brought up. I'm not a book reader nor really into Vampire movies. However I just bought all four books for my girlfriend as her anniversary gift. She told me she wanted them since she loves to read.

I saw it and it was one of the few times I felt "too old" for a movie.

I don't feel that way with other films such as Harry Potter though.

I agree, Mark. I think that while films like Harry Potter are targeted toward just about all ages, this is aimed strictly at a specific demographic that many of us here just do not fall under. But for those who do fit the target audience, they seem pretty satisfied with it.

I haven't read the books or seen the movie, and I don't have any plans to do either anytime soon. I generally try to not avoid things just because they are popular, but this is one case in which I don't really feel like exploring the phenomenon. Though I'm glad I decided to "explore the phenomenon" when it came to the Harry Potter books - because yes, my interest in the franchise does extend beyond its two outstanding film scores. I quite like the books, and the movies have their moments too.

I haven't read, nor watched it, but I own the score by Carter Burwell (I received it). It's preety decent mixture of orchestra and guitars. Nothing spectacular, but I can listen to it when I am in the right mood.

I'm disturbed that there are actually grown men here who know details about this. :)

;)

I would like to restate that I was forced to show - and therefore watch - this movie. Had I not done that, there would have been a riot on the bus.

"A rioT is ut ugly ting!"

I loved the book and its 3 sequels. (Don't forget, I'm a girl, and not a teenager). Actually, all the women I know who have read these books, ages 12-60, have loved them. What can we say - it's an intriguing AU and a beautiful love story.

The movie was pretty much a waste of time. The "Lullaby" was especially disappointing. It sounds more nightmare-inducing to me, but I was probably expecting something along the lines of Fawkes the Phoenix... silly me. There was some quite effective scoring at times that I did enjoy - mostly the orchestra/electric guitar parts Neimoidian mentions.

I'm disturbed that there are actually grown men here who know details about this. :)

;)

I would like to restate that I was forced to show - and therefore watch - this movie. Had I not done that, there would have been a riot on the bus.

Hey, it was playing at my house the other day. I found something else to do and I was criticized by the Mrs. for not watching the film with her, because she has to view my favorite films. My response was that nobody forces her to watch the films I enjoy.

:(

:(

Hey, it was playing at my house the other day. I found something else to do and I was criticized by the Mrs. for not watching the film with her, because she has to view my favorite films. My response was that nobody forces her to watch the films I enjoy.

;)

Heheh...when that happens in my house, I always tell the Mrs. that every once in a while, it's good for her to watch a movie that's actually interesting on all levels. ;)