Upcoming Soundtracks

MattyO

I am totally unfamiliar with Cliff Yared, let alone a score regarded as "excellent." Now I'm intrigued.

I am intrigued by Cliff Yared's Troy.

Wasn't there talk of Shore's Kong being released in his "collector's series" series?

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt Matessino and Bulk would be asked to work on Shore's Kong. They probably restored something from the 80s or thereabouts

I doubt Matessino and Bulk would be asked to work on Shore's Kong. They probably restored something from the 80s or thereabouts

I can't think of a rejected score that could inspire such talk from the not-so-easily-impressed Mr. Bulk...I'm very intrigued by these developments.

I have no idea, probably because people aren't familiar with older, rejected scores so they go with something familiar and current.

Who knows, it could be a golden age rejected score.

In all seriousness I doubt it's anything from the past 10 years. It's probably something from the golden / silver age.

I absolutely don't think it's Troy at all. Mike and Neil's comments suggested it was something VERY rarely heard, not something that's out there everywhere like Troy. And Troy I could see WB actually releasing themselves, not licensing it to one of our beloved labels.

I'm sure its some 70s, 80s or maybe 90s score. That's what Matessino and Bulk tend to get hired for :)

Vangelis submitted a score for Jaws, but Spielberg felt that a score so heavily laden with synthesized noise would electrocute the shark before the story got rolling, and stuck by Williams.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Safan's Wolfen at all, though MV didn't list Safan on his list of 2011 composers, and I have a feeling they will be releasing Horner's Wolfen

Could be Horner's Streets of Fire (although I want the Ry Cooder score to that). Or maybe Delerue's Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Wouldn't be surprised if it was Safan's Wolfen at all, though MV didn't list Safan on his list of 2011 composers, and I have a feeling they will be releasing Horner's Wolfen

Hopefully it'll be a 2-CD set with both scores.

Could be Horner's Streets of Fire (although I want the Ry Cooder score to that). Or maybe Delerue's Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Hopefully it'll be a 2-CD set with both scores.

Well I'm sure it would be, but wouldn't he have listed Safan on that list then? Eh, maybe not, if Horner is considered the "main" composer and the Safan stuff is considered a bonus

True. Also, he did say "a host of others", and I doubt Safan would be a name to start pulses racing. I'm not sure I've ever heard of anything of his besides Wolfen and The Last Starfighter (which needs a reissue).

How did you hear Wolfen? Is there a boot of his score?

Last Starfighter is the only thing of his I've ever heard, and I LOVE it

How did you hear Wolfen? Is there a boot of his score?

Last Starfighter is the only thing of his I've ever heard, and I LOVE it

Sorry, I meant heard of him doing. Although I believe there is a boot of his score out there somewhere.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfen-Unused-Soundtrack-Craig-Safan/dp/B00135706I

Oh Amazon, LOL.

A clip of his score is also here: http://www.craigsafan.com/myfavorites.html

I heard some snippets of Safan's score many years ago.

If my memory is correct, Safan's rejected score was a bit too atonal, perhaps. Somewhat modernistic, compared to a traditional film score.

Horner's score shares some of the musical ideas but a bit more melodic, I guess, is the best way to describe it.

And yes, Safan released it as a promo.

Yeah, that sounds similar to what FSM said here:

WOLFEN

In 1981, Safan was hired to score the werewolf horror film "Wolfen" for Orion Pictures. He and the director, Michael Wadleigh ("Woodstock"), had discussed going with a very non-traditional sound for the film.

"We had talked about a very off-the-wall score, done in the aleatoric method in which the orchestra plays events rather than specific notes," Safan recalls. "He loved the score from 'Altered States' by John Corigliano so I wrote music in that style."

However, soon after that Wadleigh was fired by Orion and a new director had to be found. Safan was sure he would also be let go because he was yet to record any of the score. But he was actually urged to stay on by the president of the studio. Unfortunately, the good news was only temporary.

"Eventually they hired a new director who basically let me go through the motions and record the entire score. He then threw the whole thing out the next day. I have no idea what he didn't like about the score, as all the executives had heard it over the several weeks it was being recorded and seemed really pleased. I can only assume that he wanted to bring on his own team to the picture, but, because of Orion's commitment to me, he couldn't get rid of me until he was firmly in power," says Safan. "But that's showbiz."

Despite the fact that his music was rejected, many soundtrack collectors had contacted Safan wanting a tape of his score. This was partially the reason why he and Douglass Fake at Intrada decided to press a promotional CD of the score in 1997.

"There were many bad, third-generation cassettes floating around," Safan says. "Also, I still really like the music and was happy to see it put on CD where people who wanted to hear it could get their hands on a decent copy."

His score to "Wolfen" is only one of several promotional CDs Safan has pressed over the past few years.

• 3 weeks later...

Varese will be releasing Lorne Balfe's score to Ironclad and Brian Tyler's score to Battle: Los Angeles

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-397/Ironclad/Detail

http://www.varesesarabande.com/servlet/the-396/Battle-cln--Los-Angeles/Detail

Mark Isham is releasing the score to The Mechanic on his new record label in a few different versions (including complete score).

http://isham.com/2011/01/25/the-mechanic-score-released/

Interesting, I haven't read anything on the score but I wonder if most of it performed by Isham and his band?

The recording of Mockingbird available in the FSM Bernstein box set is very good.

Bernstein's own recording he did for Varese is worth having as well.

The recording of Mockingbird available in the FSM Bernstein box set is very good.

Bernstein's own recording he did for Varese is worth having as well.

That was the first one I owned and I enjoyed it. Great score.

4 scores coming soon on Varese:

Largo Winch II by Alexandre Desplat (2/16/11)

Pushing Daisies: Season 2 by Jim Dooley (4/5/11)

Randy Edelman: The Pacific Flow To Abbey Road (4/5/11)

Your Highness by Steve Jablonsky (4/5/11)

Megaforce.... :lol:

I haven't seen that film since it's release. I remember it had Persis Khambatta, with hair.

Bruce Kimmel has mentioned that another label is releasing Pino Donaggio's score to Dressed To Kill, somewhere down the line.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=76574&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=5&r=145#bottom

Megaforce.... :lol:

I haven't seen that film since it's release. I remember it had Persis Khambatta, with hair.

Bruce Kimmel has mentioned that another label is releasing Pino Donaggio's score to Dressed To Kill, somewhere down the line.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=76574&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=5&r=145#bottom

Just a guess from previous releases, it'll probably be Varese (who I wished would have released 'Carrie').

A cavalcade of new Varese albums:

Pushing Daisies: Season 2 Jim Dooley - 5 April

Hop Christopher Lennertz - 5 April

Your Highness Steve Jablonsky - 5 April

Mildred Pierce Carter Burwell - 19 April

Rio John Powell - 19 April

Scream 4 Marco Beltrami - 19 April

La Fille Du Puisatier Alexandre Desplat - 26 April

Pushing Daisies I was interested in about two years ago when it was slated for release, but I've sort of lost interest now. Hop could be hit or miss, another animation/live action C-grade film like Marmaduke, Alvin and the Chipmunks and Cats & Dogs, not any I'm really interested in. Your Highness will be worth a listen for the possible trainwreck (though hopefully not) of Steve Jablonsky scoring a medieval action/fantasy spoof. Mildred Pierce I have no knowledge of and Burwell isn't high on my listen list. Rio will be a must-hear after the success of How To Train Your Dragon and with this album being denoted as Original Motion Picture Score, there shouldn't be any songs to interrupt the listening experience. Scream 4 is one of my most anticipated of the year: I can't wait to see how Beltrami returns to his scoring roots with his new, mature style - it could be cool or it could be a letdown, I remain hopeful. A new Desplat is usually worth a listen, though I can't say I've been terribly interested in much of his European work.

That's my rundown, what does everyone else think?

A lot of those have already been mentioned in this thread, and I mentioned Hop in the Christopher Lennertz thread, Rio in the John Powell thread, and La Fille Du Puisatier in the Alexandre Desplat thread

As for Pushing Daisies, I thought a season 1 OST did come out 2 years ago, and this is season 2?

Koray essentially echoed your Hop sentiments in the Lennertz thread.

Rio I am interested in checking out, and am glad it has a legit CD release unlike Mars Needs Moms