The Official Film Score Monthly (FSM) Thread

Ollie

FrankV established that the exact time of his post was 12:42 PM PST, because it was posted at 3:42 PM EST.

All I did was quote somebody at the FSM Goldsmith wish list thread who seems to have inside information on the release, and he stated it would be released at 5 PM PST.

Between this and the re-recording, what would you guys reccomend?

I'd say go for this new release. The original film recording is much better in terms of orchestral performance. Intrada's re-recording, while decent, has several flubs and mistakes (Goldsmith did it in just one day between the Lionheart sessions)

Things have finally turned to normality after me liking Back to the Future.... pass.

It's certainly not as easy to love as other Goldsmiths's from the decade...as for me, i am not to keen on the theme, which always struck me as a bit lukewarm. But i think whatever magic it has is best appreciated in the original recording. I had the bootleg and the playing was much more vigorous, the calypso and ethnic stuff was more tuneful.

I'm interested in comparing it with the Intrada recording. The new release has the missing boat chase music not on the re-recording but in looking at the track times, there are some noticeable differences in the times on both releases.

I haven't seen the film in years, it may have been when I was in high school. I do remember enjoying it. But when I play Islands, it's one of those scores where I just shut everything out around me and close my eyes and listen to the music. I feel as if I'm on the beach with the tide slowly washing ashore. The score has a calming effect.

• 2 weeks later...

This is getting ridiculous.

Another long awaited score finally sees a release from FSM.

Leonard Rosenman's Prophecy.

I've been waiting for this release for years.

Does FSM have any sort of release schedule? Seems like they just randomly announce titles lately with no prior warning

Sounds nice, but I just can't take anymore... geez, I've said it before, but someone should tell the labels that if we spend all our money on scores and don't buy food we'll die and then we can't buy anymore CDs.

Also I would like it if they stopped with these surprise announcements and make a schedule, so we could do a bit of planning, maybe a budget...

Does FSM have any sort of release schedule? Seems like they just randomly announce titles lately with no prior warning

Since the begining, FSM has normally released 1 to 2 CD's per month. Lukas doesn't announce a date, whenever they are ready they get posted.

I never noticed before but it appears that Thursday's are the actual days to announce them. So you can expect one more CD to be announced in February. Unless something's changed.

It is exhausting for the wallet indeed. I could barely afford Black Sunday. And this only the tip of an iceberg of what I wanted to purhchase!

Karol

It's handy at the moment being interested in stuff no one else is :lol:

I know.

Man Paramount opens and the goodies just start flowing. Usually there's a break in between "big" titles but they are just churning them out left and right.

Hmm... this release of "Prophecy" actually sounds really good! I reacted like 'meh' at first because I remember seeing the movie about a couple of years ago and didn't like it very much, but forgot if I even liked the music. Since I forgot if it was any good, I didn't think I'd want this. But hear the clips! From the clips alone I am sold... it sounds loud, fun, and strange with it's electronic element for the monster. I'm short on cash, but may actually get this tomorrow since it's only at 3000 units. I know how fast those can sell out (still regrets not getting INNERSPACE...)

I think this one will last a little longer.

I can't remember how much music is in the film but I would love to see Rosenman's score to The Car released if it was feasible.

I don't know if this is a positive sign but it seems any music from Leonard Rosenman's The Car has been removed from youtube, yet the rest of his music is still up. :P

Probably just wishful thinking on my part. :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's the release, no Earth Star Voyager though.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm/ID/13628/THE-CINCINNATI-KID-LALO-SCHIFRIN-SCORES-VOL-1-1964-1968/

They have it listed as Vol I so I imagine there will be another(other) Schifrin set(s).

Yea, all MGM films

I imagine if ESV ever comes out it will be through whatever label gets to release stuff owned by Disney (seems to mostly be Intrada)

According to SAE's Facebook page, FSM will have another new release on Monday. They described it as a "dog" of a release. I'm clueless on this one (unless maybe Wolfen?).

Lukas Lendall has revealed on FSM's facebook page that they will be releasing another OUTLAND (Goldsmith) this year.

Did Outland ever have a CD release apart from the Outland/Capricorn One disc?

I believe so, I think it was only available as an import though. Well if I'm reading this right, we now know the 2 Goldsmith releases planned before summer from FSM, Outland and Poltergeist.

Man my collection is going to be devoid of a bunch of labels and eventually only consist of Varese, Tribute, FSM, Intrada, LaLaLand, Kritzerland and Prometheus. :lol:

I believe so, I think it was only available as an import though. Well if I'm reading this right, we now know the 2 Goldsmith releases planned before summer from FSM, Outland and Poltergeist.

I've seen the Outland-only disc in stores a couple of years ago. As far as I recall, it was just the original Capricorn/Outland album without the Capricorn tracks, but without any restoration.

While I'll wait for more details until I decide whether I need a new Poltergeist (the original album is I believe complete, and sounds fine), I'd definitely buy a new Outland, even if un-expanded, just to get rid of all that tape hiss.