The Official Film Score Monthly (FSM) Thread

Ollie

A Guide for the Married Man may be one of the lesser of JW's 60s comedy scores, but "The Globetrotters" is a really fun piece. If you're on the fence, you should get it for that cue.

• 2 weeks later...

Ed from SAE has posted this on the FSM boards

The Sean Connery/Jerry Goldsmith score should arrive next week with another FSM cd along with it.

So, since Lukas Kendall already mentioned it on the FSM facebook that they were re-doing Outland, that would appear to be it.

Though, other Connery/Goldsmith collaborations include Ransom, The Wind And The Lion, The Great Train Robbery, The Russia House, Medicine Man, and First Knight

Recent post from Lukas Kendall on FSM's boards (bolding is mine)

Thanks everyone for your enthusiastic feedback. It's fun to see all the interest. I don't mind the occasional criticism, because everyone has a right to his opinion and the point of the board is to discuss them. I do wish that people would maybe keep the safeties on their phasers turned on until they had all the facts...I won't bother to rehash the arguments as the explanations have already been given, but from time to time we are placed into creative situations where we know going on that we've got to please the 85% of the people who will want the program to be one thing, vs. the 14% who want the opposite. I leave out 1% because they are never happy with anything and like the attention they get from expressing a contrary point of view.

I will say one thing: nothing would have stopped us from charging $29.95 (per some other "goody" 2CD sets in recent months). In fact we could have asked $34.95 and made more money...the studios would not have minded, they get the same percentage no matter what and would have deferred to our judgment. But we are using $24.95 because want the music to be affordable to those who want to hear it. So there! I hope people like having this 2CD configuration because you'll also like O... O you'll find out in a few weeks.

Lukas

What is he referring to? Did Outland have an OST worth including? What is the second O if its not Outland?

It's probably Outland. I don't know how much the album from Outland differs from the actual film score.

Obsession?

Which is in dire need of remastering and expansion.

I heard there's an Indiana Jones box set coming out. I hope it includes the interviews that we already have on the DVDs!

I heard there's an Indiana Jones box set coming out. I hope it includes the interviews that we already have on the DVDs!

And I'd LOVE to get the original LP cut of the Desert Chase !!!

And it would be cool if they repeated the same opening bars of "return to the village" twice, without giving us the opening bars to "end credits" at all!

And Attack of the Clones should definitely have one of its cues only available at Target

• 2 weeks later...

Outland: link

Outland (1981)

Music by Michael Boddicker, Jerry Goldsmith, Morton Stevens

Price: $24.95

View CD Page at SAE Store

Line: Silver Age

CD Release: June 2010

Catalog #: Vol. 13, No. 8

# of Discs: 2

FSM presents the definitive edition of a pivotal Jerry Goldsmith sci-fi score: Outland (1981), for Peter Hyams's suspenseful "space western" set on an Io mining station in orbit of Jupiter. This 2CD set features the complete score as heard in the film, the 1981 LP configuration released by Warner Bros. Records, and never-before-heard alternates and outtakes. Outland was written and directed by Peter Hyams, whose 1978 Capricorn One had featured a sensational score by Goldsmith. Sean Connery stars as O'Niel, a Federal marshal whose investigation of suspicious deaths throws him into conflict with the mine's corporate administrator (Peter Boyle). Something of a cross between Alien (minus the monster) and High Noon (transplanting the conflict to outer space), the stylish film is one of Hyams's best.

Goldsmith had made a mark on Alien in 1979—a film that Outland resembles in its hardware and atmosphere—and applied many of the same suspenseful textures to Outland. The score oozes menace and mood, evoking not only the dangerous environment of the space station, but the suspense-thriller human relationships (in which nobody is up to any good). Goldsmith's musical modernism is perfectly tailored for the action scenes, especially a bravura chase through the station ("Hot Water") which is treated with a Stravinsky-like pulse.

Outland has long been available in a 40-minute album program, but that sequence (recreated for disc 2 of this release) includes alternate takes—and omits many notable cues. Disc 1 of this album features the complete score as heard in (or intended for, in the case of unused cues) the finished film, including such Goldsmith cues as the film's "Main Title" and action moments in "Stiffed" and "The Bags."

Disc 1 also interpolates the work of two other composers, who stepped in when Hyams requested changes but Goldsmith was unavailable: Morton Stevens, who adapted Goldsmith's thematic material for the film's climactic fight on the exterior of the station ("The Last Battle [broken Hose]"), and Michael Boddicker, who wrote and recorded the film's rec room source music. Disc 1 also features a bonus section including Goldsmith's original versions of these sequences as well as other alternates.

The deluxe 24-page booklet features liner notes by Jeff Bond and Lukas Kendall including new interview comments by Hyams and an essay from Boddicker. Goldsmith's score has been newly restored by Mike Matessino from the three-track stereo film mixes, with Boddicker personally remixing his tracks. The entire 2CD set has been mastered by Bruce Botnick, Jerry Goldsmith's longtime recording engineer.

Track List

Outland

Music Composed and Conducted by Jerry Goldsmith

Performed by The National Philharmonic Orchestra

*Leisure Club Music Composed by Richard Rudolph and Michael Boddicker, Performed by Ganymede

DISC ONE

1. Ladd Company Logo (John Williams) 0:26

2. Main Title 1:18

3. The Mine 3:53

4. Spiders 1:27

5. The Buy 1:29

6. The Airlock 2:23

7. The Fix 1:56

8. The Hostage 2:21

9. Blood Test 1:53

10. Source #1 (Source 192)* 3:44

11. Hot Water 6:00

12. Stiffed 1:32

13. The Bags 1:34

14. Hot Wire 2:04

15. The Bug 1:00

16. Source #2 (Source 193)* 3:35

17. After Hours/The Loading Bay/Hidden Weapons 1:35

18. The Message 2:09

19. Early Estimate/Early Arrival 3:09

20. The Hunters 2:27

21. The Blood 1:07

22. The Hunted 5:07

23. The Greenhouse 2:47

24. The Last Battle (Broken Hose) (Adapted by Morton Stevens) 3:01

25. The Showdown 1:29

26. Final Message 0:58

27. End Credits 2:42

Total Time: 63:49

Bonus Tracks

28. Main Title (original version) 1:26

29. Watching 0:51

30. Stiffed (alternate) 1:35

31. The Bags (alternate) 1:34

32. Released 2:09

33. The Rec Room 3:29

34. Rec Room #2 1:31

Total Time: 12:52

Total Disc Time: 76:39

DISC TWO

Soundtrack Album

1. The Mine 3:52

2. Early Arrival 4:11

3. The Message 2:08

4. The Air Lock 4:48

5. Hot Water 4:50

6. The Hunted 5:17

7. Spiders 2:30

8. The Rec Room 3:27

9. The Hostage 4:20

10. Final Message 3:28

Total Disc Time: 39:08

453_100485.jpgtransparent.gif453_100485.jpgtransparent.gif453_100485.jpg

Tootsie: link

Tootsie (1982)

Music by Dave Grusin

Price: $19.95

Limited #: 3000

Line: Silver Age

CD Release: June 2010

Catalog #: Vol. 13, No. 7

# of Discs: 1

Tootsie (1982) is one of the most famous comedies in Hollywood history, with a love song (“It Might Be You”) that has become a pop standard. Yet the soundtrack has been virtually unavailable on CD—until now.

Tootsie starred Dustin Hoffman as an unemployed actor who dresses in drag to land a role on a soap opera. But when his outspoken feminist creation, “Dorothy Michaels,” becomes a media sensation, he grows desperate to stop leading a double life—and to confess his love for his colleague, played by Jessica Lange. With a masterful blend of drama, comedy, contemporary realism and social commentary, and brilliant supporting performances by Dabney Coleman, Teri Garr, Bill Murray, Charles Durning and director Sydney Pollack (as Hoffman’s apoplectic agent), Tootsie is justifiably a classic.

The pitch-perfect score to Tootsie was by Dave Grusin, Pollack’s longtime collaborator on films such as The Yakuza, Three Days of the Condor, Bobby Deerfield and The Electric Horseman (and later, Havana, The Firm and Random Hearts). Tootsie’s unique combination of laughs with serious subject matter required an original approach, and Grusin elevated the film by using the modern jazz fusion style he had helped create in his career as a recording artist. Upbeat, energetic and contemporary, jazz fusion was the perfect choice for Tootsie, and Grusin himself performed the keyboards.

Tootsie is also a masterful example of songwriting for film. The two songs—the pop-standard “It Might Be You” and Caribbean-flavored “Tootsie”—recur in different guises to advance the story, with sensitive lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman and vocals by Stephen Bishop. With music by Grusin himself, the songs emerge seamlessly from the score’s thematic material and could not be more appropriate or essential.

Tootsie was released on LP at the time of the film on Warner Bros. Records but has been released on CD only in Japan. FSM’s premiere U.S. CD features not only the album program (a combination of the original soundtrack and re-recorded selections), but a bonus section of additional score cues and alternate versions—all in vibrant stereo. Liner notes are by Jeff Bond and Lukas Kendall with new and archival interview quotes from the participants.

Track List

Tootsie

Produced and Arranged by Dave Grusin

All Selections Composed by Dave Grusin

All Lyrics by Alan and Marilyn Bergman

1. It Might Be You (Theme From Tootsie) Performed by Stephen Bishop 4:14

2. An Actor’s Life (Main Title) 4:29

3. Metamorphosis Blues (It Might Be You) Instrumental 4:06

4. Don’t Let It Get You Down 3:54

5. Montage Pastorale (It Might Be You) Performed by Stephen Bishop 3:22

6. Tootsie Performed by Stephen Bishop 4:16

7. Working Girl March 3:48

8. Sandy’s Song 4:18

9. Out of the Rain 3:57

10. Media Zap Performed by Stephen Bishop 2:19

Total Time: 38:58

Bonus Tracks

11. An Actor’s Life (Main Title, extended mix) 5:32

12. Out of the Rain (film version) 4:02

13. Don’t Let It Get You Down (film version) 4:25

14. Sandy Auditions/Visit to Agent 1:10

15. Working Girl March (film cue) 0:46

16. Russian Tearoom 0:41

17. Working Girl March #2 (film cue) 0:48

18. I Want You 0:12

19. Tootsie (film version) 1:18

20. An Actor’s Life (film cue) 2:11

21. Sandy Cooks 0:33

22. Sandy’s Song 2:38

23. Piano Source 2:50

24. Back to the City 0:30

25. Invitation to the Blues (Fisher, Roberts & Gershwin) 1:06

26. Red Sails in the Sunset (Williams & Kennedy) 2:55

27. Southwest General Medley 1:38

28. Street Players 0:55

Total Time: 34:55

Total Disc Time: 73:59

450_923431.jpg transparent.gif450_923431.jpg transparent.gif450_923431.jpg

Outlandishly brilliant. Can't wait to get it. Well done to all involved.

I just relistened to my Outland album and I must say I find it really subpar for prime Goldsmith. Apparently I agree with Hyams and Jerry himself so I'm in good company I guess. Too bad, perhaps if I hadn't spent money on The Spiral Road (though a good score), I would have picked this up.

Too bad for two more reasons too:

- the Williams logo! It's like they're pulling an Amazing Stories II!

- it's from FSM. I love FSM, I think it's the best of all the labels, regarding both their way they handle releases (order of tracks, what material is released, the lack of errors) and especially their policy (not playing the limited edition game). I wish I could "support" them much more than I do right now, but unfortunately, it's mostly the other labels that are releasing all my must-haves right now: Star Trek, The Goonies, BTTF, Alien, Boys from Brazil, Independence Day & Poseidon Adventure, etc.

Lukas Kendall has confirmed via the FSM messageboards that they are not working on any further Star Trek scores

I am not sure what people are debating. I think I had in the back of my mind from the moment that the Paramount Pictures projects got underway that both Star Trek II and III would be fantastic to release. We did Star Trek II with Rhino (Atlantic) and Paramount but it was only near the ending of that that I got back in touch with EMI -- they had a new person and seemingly new policies every few months -- and started on Trek III. We are not working on any more Trek movie scores at the moment.

Lukas

Lukas Kendall has confirmed via the FSM messageboards that they are not working on any further Star Trek scores

I am not sure what people are debating. I think I had in the back of my mind from the moment that the Paramount Pictures projects got underway that both Star Trek II and III would be fantastic to release. We did Star Trek II with Rhino (Atlantic) and Paramount but it was only near the ending of that that I got back in touch with EMI -- they had a new person and seemingly new policies every few months -- and started on Trek III. We are not working on any more Trek movie scores at the moment.

Lukas

He specifically stated the movies themselves, not any TV series.

Right, I think its been unofficially confirmed that FSM is releasing a box set of TNG music, right?

Yea I thought it was something like that

Hopefully LLL can do ST1 and ST5 since FSM isn't working on them

That's the word on the street according to the webmaster at Jerry Goldsmith Online, he was told LaLaLand was working on them.

Excellent!

You know, that's a site I have never been to once (Jerry Goldsmith Online)

Like I said in other posts though, it's just a rumor with no substantial facts.

Although it does make sense with LaLaLand's deal with Sony.

Well, FSM has more than answered the call to service with Trek II and Trek III, for which I'm incredibly grateful.

As for the others: LaLaLand or Intrada would be great labels to release Treks I and V. I love their CD releases.

Screw TNG music. I want a box set of Ron Jones' Duck Tales music.

When I close my eyes listening to the Superman cartoon disc in The Blue Box (which has been about twice), I can pretend that it's Duck Tales, but it's not the same.