The Official Film Score Monthly (FSM) Thread

Ollie

I always had a gut feeling that LaLa would be the ones to do TMP and V. Fine with me, the label is frankly irrelevant as they all do a superb job.

I always had a gut feeling that LaLa would be the ones to do TMP and V. Fine with me, the label is frankly irrelevant as they all do a superb job.

Sony should do it. ;)

The label is irrelevant as long as it's one of the good labels. :lol:

Yes as FSM has really set the bar high regarding Trek film scores.

Personally, I find the Intrada approach, aka Alien, would be fantastic for TMP and V. LaLaLand also got it right with InnserSPACE, so I'd be happy with something like that. :lol:

We'll see who produces what, and savor it all :P

If LLL does in fact release Star Trek TMP and Star Trek V, I am sure they would get both right. Hopefully they would have Mike Matessino working on both projects.

I'm sure any label that does the balance of the Trek films will do fine.

Star Trek TMP is the one score that needs to be a multi disc set. I wouldn't mind a 2-3 disc set with the original album (LP) mixes and alternates included.

I know I keep repeating this but we just need to be patient. With Paramount and Universal opening up, there are so many scores that need to be released and it may take some time.

I agree, though they should include the film version of "The Force Field".

Trek V would probably easily fit on one disc complete, even with a couple of alternates.

I'm sure they would include both the alternate and film versions of "The Force Field".

I don't think the original album needs to be presented...Star Trek TMP can easily be just a 2-CD set with all the alternates included.

I don't know about that.... the one i have spills over into a 3rd disc

I do agree that all the IMPORTANT alternates could fit onto a 2disc set with the complete score.

I don't think the original album needs to be presented...Star Trek TMP can easily be just a 2-CD set with all the alternates included.

I do agree that all the IMPORTANT alternates could fit onto a 2disc set with the complete score.

If it's like the one I may or may not have heard at some time in the past, I think it spills over because there's a suite on the end that runs 28 minutes. With just the alternates it runs just shy of two hours and twenty minutes. Or so I heard.

Nope - even without that (pointless) suite, its still longer than 160 minutes if you include ALL the alternates.

I wouldn't lose any sleep if some of those alternates were jettisoned on a nice 2CD set from one of the labels. All the IMPORTANT stuff fits on 2CDs.

If it's like the one I may or may not have heard at some time in the past, I think it spills over because there's a suite on the end that runs 28 minutes. With just the alternates it runs just shy of two hours and twenty minutes. Or so I heard.

From what I've heard, it's about 140 minutes with alternates, 120 without.

The 20th Anniversary only runs 64:50.

Any release of TMP would be a complete fail without the second disc of interviews from the 20th anniv. release.

As a Trek fan, it's enjoyable enough, but I'd rather have more score than the CD gimmick we got. :(

Any release of TMP would be a complete fail without the second disc of interviews from the 20th anniv. release.

And a photo of the Enterprise-A.

I think the score to TMP runs about 82 minutes. There's no way a 3rd disc would be needed even with alternates and album versions.

Neil

Yea... I was wrong!

The complete score is 88:21. Then there are 50:32 of alternates, for a total of 138:44.

The stupid 28 minute suite is what pushes it into the third disc (166:46 total)

So yup, the complete score and ALL alternates would DEFINITELY fit on 2 discs! Yay!

Enterprise A was not in Star Trek the Motion Picture, she did not make her debut until Star Trek the Voyage Home.

I cannot image the shame you must feel.

:(

Good thing you had that emoticon added to the end of your post. I would have posted the whipping emoticon. :fouetaa: lol

I think the score to TMP runs about 82 minutes. There's no way a 3rd disc would be needed even with alternates and album versions.

Neil

Whichever label that eventually releases it has to include the disco and Cassidy songs. ;)

Enterprise A was not in Star Trek the Motion Picture, she did not make her debut until Star Trek the Voyage Home.

I cannot image the shame you must feel.

None whatsoever. I feel no shame in enjoying irony.

Please go to the shelf in your house where you keep your CDs, find the two-disc Motion Picture album, and flip through the booklet at the images of the Enterprise. One of the photos was clearly not taken from The Motion Picture.

I don't have that version, I have the Kira Nerys version. The ultimate edition to this point in time.

Then I accept your apology in not understanding just what I meant. ;)

I bought the Sony version for $30 back in the day, but only ever listen to the triple threat footwarmer.

Wojo is right on the Anniversary edition it's page 5 for the booklet. That clearly is the Enterprise-A and that still is from Star Trek IV The Voyage Home.

I have never listened to disc 2 of the TMP Anniversary set.

I have my own personal version that runs about 2 hours & 30 minutes.

Yup, I also have never listened to disc 2 of the official set

I never appreciated how awesome this score was until I got ahold of the complete score. I always LIKED it quite a bit, but lately I've come to LOVE it. Amazing that Jerry wrote two unequivocal MASTERPIECES the year I was born (Alien and ST:TMP)

Alien, incidentally, I never owned the OST for, never even thought about buying it. Bought the complete Intrada set on a whim and just fell in love with it on first listen. Amazing stuff.

STTMP just clicked on me recently. The best part are the "weird-suspense-cloud" cues, seconded by Ilia's theme. The fanfare is not all that interesting compared to those but I think it's got great moments, mainly in Leaving Drydock with the weird synth effect.

Yea I mean the main theme is great, but take that completely away and you'd still have an amazing score

Ilia's Theme would make my top 10 tracks of all time list if i ever had to make one

STTMP just clicked on me recently. The best part are the "weird-suspense-cloud" cues, seconded by Ilia's theme. The fanfare is not all that interesting compared to those but I think it's got great moments, mainly in Leaving Drydock with the weird synth effect.

Mostly spot-on. Except that I've never been THAT excited about Ilia's Theme. The best lyrical part in the score is still The Enterprise.

Mostly spot-on. Except that I've never been THAT excited about Ilia's Theme. The best lyrical part in the score is still The Enterprise.

I'm with Marian on this one. Ilia's theme is certainly great, but it's the third tier of greatness in the score to me behind the main theme and the V'Ger material.

As the bombastic, brassy theme we hear in the beginning of TMP, the main theme is very good, but nothing amazing. As heard in "The Enterprise," it is the highlight of the score. But I think overall I prefer Ilia's Theme and the V'Ger stuff over the main theme.

I would be happy with one expanded Trek score per year. We are on a good pace right now. They will all come in time.

At that pace I'll be in my 50's by the time I hold the final release. Don't wanna wait that long, plus 2012 is coming. ;)

• 1 month later...

Yup, I also have never listened to disc 2 of the official set

I never appreciated how awesome this score was until I got ahold of the complete score. I always LIKED it quite a bit, but lately I've come to LOVE it. Amazing that Jerry wrote two unequivocal MASTERPIECES the year I was born (Alien and ST:TMP)

Alien, incidentally, I never owned the OST for, never even thought about buying it. Bought the complete Intrada set on a whim and just fell in love with it on first listen. Amazing stuff.

You know, I got Intrada's Alien because it was known to be a classic Goldsmith score, yet I had never obtained the OST.

It is, as you said, quite an amazing masterpiece. It's an interesting blend of His more experimental tendancies, i.e. Planet of the Apes, and his more Romantic sound, exemplified by Star Trek: TMP.

Alien and ST:TMP are my top Goldsmiths bar none, and Intrada certainly know how to put together a CD release. :D

I believe, for ST:TMP, Intrada would probably be the best candidates to produce it, using their Alien release as a rough model. (2 CDs, Complete score from first, spilling over to the second, with Alternate versions filling out disc 2, and Michael Matessino getting involved again with the remastered).

I can dream :lol:

Jeff Bond posted some where on FSM recently saying that there are still some legal issues for Star Trek: The Motion Picture to sort out before a complete version can be released. It's possible if those get sorted out that still may come from La-La Land since they have a deal with Sony.

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds hilariously dated, but still rather good. That's impressive that they're able to present a stereo recording from 1944!

Lukas Kendall:

I don't like to announce CDs ahead of time because it leads to people trying to buy things that we don't yet have for sale...it's inconvenient. Still, there are so many titles competing for your dollars that people need to know what to plan to buy. So for YOU, our dear listeners:

Somehow, we ended up with 21 discs' worth of content (!) to be released in the next two months (or so), all of it television (!!). It wasn't planned. But I don't ever want to hear that we give the small screen short shrift!

FSMCD Vol. 13, No. 11 is a 1970 Jerry Fielding CBS TV movie score that nobody has ever heard of but is really terrific. It features the origin of his jazzy Matt Helm/Big Sleep theme. I've been trying to release this for 11 years! This will be out in a week or two (it's at the plant now): $19.95, limited to 2000 copies. (I'm sure someone can figure out with imdb what the title is.)

FSMCD Vol. 13, No. 12 is another CHiPs volume. 3000 copies, $19.95. Expect that near the end of August at the same time or slightly before:

FSMCD Vol. 13, No. 13 is what we are calling the TV Omnibus, Volume One. It is 5CDs in the Lalo Schifrin/David Raksin packaging we've used: 2000 copies, $59.95, the five discs and great booklet (liner notes by Jon Burlingame) in a "butterfly" case. As for the contents: you'll have to wait and see. It's safe to say NONE of the shows or scores are famous; we went spelunking in the M-G-M Television archives and found some rare and fantastic tracks by Grusin, Duning, Goldenberg, Schifrin...I have to stop there but there are many other "name" composers doing projects you've never heard of. It's a real nifty collection. (Almost all in stereo too!)

Then probably in the first week or two of September—we hope—is FSM Box 05. This is the long-rumored Ron Jones box set of Star Trek: The Next Generation music. 14 discs, $149.95, limited to 5000 copies—40 complete episode scores, plus some previously unreleased "Best of Both Worlds" cues and Ron's two Interplay computer game scores. All in immaculate stereo. The packaging is in the style of the Rózsa box: the booklet has an introductory essay and track listings (and lots of ST:TNG art), with comprehensive liner notes to be posted online. Did you guys know this was my dream project? I fantasized about putting this together ever since I fell in love with the scores twenty years ago. In fact it was twenty years ago almost exactly that "The Best of Both Worlds" aired.

If you want to place an order—you can't. Not yet. But you can get on the <a href="http://www.screenarchives.com/joinlist.cfm">Screen Archives mailing list if you are not already and be notified the moment they are available.

TV fans: this is not including the Hawaii Five-0 Capitol Records LP we'll be issuing on CD as a "budget" album (due to its brevity) some time this fall. And for that matter we have a couple of other TV soundtrack LPs making their CD debuts.

And the feature film stuff will be back soon too. In case you missed, it Herbert Stothart's Dragon Seed is now available as a 2CD set, almost all in true stereo—amazing for a 1944 score.

I know this is a can of worms I am opening by "pre-announcing" these titles but I felt it was important that people get the chance to budget their purchases. Please remember we think of you guys like this! We truly value you as our patrons who let us have these wacky and fun lives putting together CDs of classic film—and TV—music we love. Thanks!