The Official Film Score Monthly (FSM) Thread

Ollie

I hope the crutch isn't that he didn't tell the AFM... that couldn't be good.

I'm assuming that's what happened. If AFM limited the pressings to 3,000 then why would they let him press more than that? And if they did, then why would Lukas bother lying about the amount of pressings?

Then again, if this is the case I don't see the logic in admitting this, especially since Lukas is in debt and it could lead to a lawsuit.

I don't think Lukas is ethically in the wrong, assuming he did actually pay the AFM at (or shortly after) the time of repressing.

I see it as all based on the per-unit principle, so if he thinks another 3000 will sell, the union would be stupid to not accept the extra fees.

Strict legalities may be another matter, but then it's no secret that I think the whole union-reuse-fees is one of the most bafflingly impractical business models I've come across. I don't care for the legalities.

I don't see anything wrong with this either. If any one does feel cheated then they should re-think their stand on things. None of us are entitled to this music. We are very lucky and fortunate that the labels are even getting this stuff out to us.

They literally go through hell to even get the rights for this material and then do the pressings and releases. More people need to be thankful instead of being childish and bitch about it.

If it weren't for the labels all we would have right now are the single disc releases and or re-recordings.

They pressed more, the whoever got paid more. We didn't know. The life of crime refers to lying to the consumers. Those particular scores were not limited to the number printed on the back of the CD.

Ah, I guess that makes sense, as it is illegal for commercial speech to be "false or misleading". Still, I wouldn't risk that. Not sure if this is a suable offense, but you never know if there's a crazy soundtrack fan out there who would take legal action and force Lukas into even more debt. But I'm sure Lukas knows what he's doing in aunnoncing this.

I like linking to the pages at FSM rather than the pages at SAE, since you can see more artwork and the site is easier on the eyes:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/432/5000-Fingers-of-Dr.-T.-The/

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/462/Kung-Fu-Man-in-the-Wilderness/

I wonder if Lukas is trying to lead by example, and encourage the other labels to drop the whole limited pressing idea in favor of larger editions (for popular titles and composers). Obviously selling more copies "keeps the lights on". But also consider that nuking the "limited edition" collector mentality could be a long term goal. Comic book collecting and trading card collecting both collapsed in upon themselves because of a similar mentality. If Lukas is proposing a business model that favors the music itself over the collectibility, perhaps in some way it'll help the longevity of the niche market.

They pressed more, the whoever got paid more. We didn't know. The life of crime refers to lying to the consumers. Those particular scores were not limited to the number printed on the back of the CD.

Ah, I guess that makes sense, as it is illegal for commercial speech to be "false or misleading". Still, I wouldn't risk that. Not sure if this is a suable offense, but you never know if there's a crazy soundtrack fan out there who would take legal action and force Lukas into even more debt. But I'm sure Lukas knows what he's doing in aunnoncing this.

That son-of-a-bitch devalued my investment! He will perish in legal flames!

Lukas's post said:

We just got approvals so look for Poltergeist by mid-December. Sorry I can't be more specific but we can't control how long the pressing plant will take, especially this close to Xmas. Thanks.

Lukas

I've never heard or seen Poltergeist. I bought the Poltergeist II album six months ago but never took the shrink wrap off.

!!!!

If you do check out Poltergeist II before the original is out, don't let that deceive you; Poltergeist is in another league entirely. Twisted Abduction is part of my dream Goldsmith concert programme.

I need to remember that I'm now more of an elder statesman in the film score world now and that it's been 20+ years since Poltergeist was released, so it's possible that there are some who have never heard the score.

That has little to do with it. I'm more familiar with the score to The Wizard of Oz than I am with Poltergeist, since I have seen the film and bought and listened to the score to the former, while I have never seen or heard film nor score of the latter or its sequel. And since my rip/tag pile is quite large, I daresay I won't get to Poltergeist II before Christmas.

Actually you sort of proved my point, you haven't seen it yet. :(

The reason I mentioned the 20 years is because quite a few of you are younger than me, so you didn't grow up with Poltergeist or you weren't old enough to see it. Plus most parents would allow a child to see the Wizard Of Oz instead of Poltergeist.

Now that's not the main reason why some haven't seen Poltergeist but it does apply in some cases.

Actually you sort of proved my point, you haven't seen it yet. :lol:

The reason I mentioned the 20 years is because quite a few of you are younger than me, so you didn't grow up with Poltergeist or you weren't old enough to see it. Plus most parents would allow a child to see the Wizard Of Oz instead of Poltergeist.

Now that's not the main reason why some haven't seen Poltergeist but it does apply in some cases.

I saw "Poltergeist" at The Empire cinema, Leicester Square, in September, 1982, and in 70mm, six-track magnectic stereo. Who's the old fart now?

I just bought the Rhino/Sony version of Poltergeist last summer so I don't know if I am willing to shell out more money to get the FSM release. It would have to be pretty spectacular for me to rush to buy it.

Actually you sort of proved my point, you haven't seen it yet. :lol:

I saw "Poltergeist" at The Empire cinema, Leicester Square, in September, 1982, and in 70mm, six-track magnectic stereo. Who's the old fart now?

If you want to admit to it fine by me. ;)

I never said I was the oldest fart here, just one of em.

As far as landmark scores, I don't throw the word great around too often and I think it's way overused here, especially with Williams' works, but Poltergeist is a great score and a huge achievement by Goldsmith.

Had E.T. not been nominated for best score that year, Poltergeist should have been the hands down favorite to win.

1982 was an amazing year for film scores - ET, Poltergeist, Wrath of Khan, The Dark Crystal...

An amazing year for genre films in general - Tron, the Road Warrior, Blade Runner

And look, out of all the films Jay and I mentioned, there's only two sequels and no remakes.

So I got an email from SAE offering a 10% thanksgiving discount. I'm supposed to write "thanksgiving" in the discount code box before I confirm my order, but there is no change on the invoice when I do. Do they apply it themselves later, or is something wrong on my end?