The Official Film Score Monthly (FSM) Thread

Ollie

If its Ben Hur, it would probably look something like this:

Disc 1 and 2 the complete score

Disc 3 Alternate material, etc.

Disc 4 and 5 Music from Ben Hur and More Music from Ben Hur LP programs (previously released on CD by Sony in the early 90s)

I don't think Ten Commandments would take that much room, though I wouldn't mind being wrong, as that would be just as exciting.

I don't think Ten Commandments would take that much room, though I wouldn't mind being wrong, as that would be just as exciting.

2 discs for the complete score, disc 3 for the re-recording, and disc 4 and 5 for alternates/mono/other re-recordings?

Either way, with either one I would still skip it. I haven't seen The Ten Commandments in years and I barely recalled the score in that film. The Golden Age stuff just doesn't interest me.

BTW everyone, PLEASE include the SOURCE of items like this.

I agree. But I did credit Facebook. ;)

Hahaha, I didn't notice that part of your post :)

Either way, with either one I would still skip it. I haven't seen The Ten Commandments in years and I barely recalled the score in that film. The Golden Age stuff just doesn't interest me.

If you honestly don't like music from that era it's fine - but Ben-Hur is really one of the finest scores ever written, really on the short list for the greatest score written! Also the album rerecordings that'll be on the set provide a very nice listening experience on their own. It's a worthwhile score to check out.

This list is devastating. I've decided I'm definitely going to grab Green Mansions, The Yakuza, Farewell, My Lovely/Monkey Shines, and The Wrath of God...and I'm thinking The Stripper/Nick Quarry...? Can anyone comment on The Guns of San Sebastian and/or Two Weeks in Another Town?

Ben-Hur is a score of such dense power and melodic variety, Williams or Goldsmith could have done it. King of Kings is a sensational extension of that aesthetic as well. I'd recommend it to you.

I think it's important to try and appreciate the golden age in order to understand its influence on modern composers, certainly Williams and Goldsmith. It's certainly not always easy listening, but it gets rewarding (the Gerhardt Classic Film Scores series is a fantastic place to start).

I don't care when it was composed as long as it has a musical hook. There really wasn't any subtlety in the Golden Age, so I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the underscore (which mostly sounds generic to my ears). There are a few really standout scores that have wonderful themes, though.

This list is devastating. I've decided I'm definitely going to grab Green Mansions, The Yakuza, Farewell, My Lovely/Monkey Shines, and The Wrath of God...and I'm thinking The Stripper/Nick Quarry...? Can anyone comment on The Guns of San Sebastian and/or Two Weeks in Another Town?

Guns for San Sebastian is classic Ennio Morricone Western music. Wonderful score imo. Some Youtube clips:

Either would make me happy, I just hope it's not $60 like their other 5CD sets.

It should be less. Most multi CD sets cover multiple films so therefore have multiple licenses that need to be paid. This is for one film so should only have the one license (plus maybe a second for an LP re-recording).

I wouldn't be surprised if its $40.

I may be wrong, but I believe 2 of the LP recordings for Ben-Hur were released under MGM's own label, and one was released under the label Metro.

There were 3 LPs.

Ben-Hur original film soundtrack (MGM)

More Music from Ben-Hur (MGM)

Music from Ben-Hur (Metro) - this last one credits Erich Kloss as conductor, but that was really a pseudonym for Rózsa.

All three LPs are rerecordings. Theoretically all 3 are on this set.

So we're looking at:

Discs 1&2 - Complete score

Disc 3 - Alternates, which there are plenty of.

Disc 4 - the two MGM LP sets

Disc 5 - The Metro LP

Or:

Disc 1: Complete score part 1

Disc 2: Complete score part 2 + alternates

Disc 3: First MGM LP

Disc 4: Second MGM LP

Dsc 5: Metro LP

I wonder what kind of packaging they have decided on?

Maybe a standard 2CD jewel case for the complete score/alternates, and a 4CD clamshell for the LP discs - with each LP's covert art fully duplicated one 3 of the sides and the track lists on the 4th

The packaging should be interesting, they could fit 5 discs in a 6 disc clam shell, but I guess it depends on how special they want to make the set look.

I think that there are enough alternates and unused/preliminary recordings to fill an entire 3rd disc. The Rózsa society has their own version from acetates that is quite lengthy.

When FSM released Quo Vadis in the Rózsa box they had released many pre-recordings of the marches and dances from that score, I could imagine them including this stuff for Ben-Hur as well, plus many scenes had rewrites and there is quite a bit of music that simply went unused in the film.

I'm hoping for a treasure trove of unreleased music more than a repackaging of older LPs that duplicate or triplicate the album content, albeit in condensed LP arrangement form. It's a great score and probably worth it, but still.

All the LPs are unique, even the repeated content. There is definitely a lot of unreleased music that many of us have never heard. The complete score presentation should be a revelation as well - in some ways the assembly of the Rhino presentation is worse than the TPM Ultimate Edition!

"Let's just say it's Ben-Hur for $59.95 (with every possible recorded take imaginable, plus the 3 albums in stereo from tape sources) but SHHHHHHHH!!! if you guys bug SAE before it's announced (2 weeks or so) I'm in deep doodoo.

Lukas "

http://filmscoremont...&pageID=4&r=365

It's funny when people can guess certain things and they end up being right.

Anyways regarding the price tag for Ben Hurr it's actually a good price over all. Take the $60 price tag, divide it by 5 and it comes out to about $12 per CD. All though what makes it that expensive is producing the box set and such for the release.

All the LPs are unique, even the repeated content. There is definitely a lot of unreleased music that many of us have never heard. The complete score presentation should be a revelation as well - in some ways the assembly of the Rhino presentation is worse than the TPM Ultimate Edition!

How is that exactly? I own the set, but can't say I know the score by heart.

Karol

There are some edits in the Rhino version that make it closer to an isolated score track rather than a comprehensive release.

There are also odd instances, such as the "Prince of Peace" track where the film version and the alternate are both edited into the film sequence. Weird stuff.

I am now thinking if I should get the Miklós Rózsa Treasury. I mean, looks like I already have (or going to have) all the music I want from this set, in more complete form. I have the FSM Knight of the Round Table, Lust for Live, The Power, Rhino's King of King, Tadlow's EL CID.

Intrada's Ivanhoe is not limited and I am going to buy it. The onlt thing interest me is Quo Vadis. But Tadlow is going to re-record it.

I don't know if I should pay that much for the rest less interest score. Or should I save money for this Ben Hur set?

I don't care when it was composed as long as it has a musical hook.

Are you trying to tell us something?

OH MY GOD! It's Hook complete score (2CDs) + Hook - The Musical (3CDs)!!

I'm going to faint.

I was just thinking that myself! LOL.

From FB:

FSM CD #246 about to be announced...HERRMANN!

his electronics from the birds?

North by Northwest has been suggested at FSM.

I have the current Sony release, and it has some serious sound issues for some cues. I'd certainly be interested if they've found a better source.

The sound issues were due to deterioration of the original storage medium.

They may have had to bake them to play them back, and if so, they may be unplayable now.

I believe there is something in the liner notes about this.

You mean the Rhino release? Yes, it is a bit disappointing and, from what I remember, the whole final sequence is a film edit.

Ah well, at least there is Varese Sarabande re-recording.

Karol

The sound issues were due to deterioration of the original storage medium.

They may have had to bake them to play them back, and if so, they may be unplayable now.

I believe there is something in the liner notes about this.

The iso score on the DVD didn't have those problems. Don't recall if the Blu carried over the iso?

Anyway, at least the film edits should be available in isolated, undamaged form.