The Official Film Score Monthly (FSM) Thread

Ollie

Maybe it will be part of La La Land's next announcement, which will happen on Black Friday, November 26th (and the CDs start shipping Tuesday November 30th)

So... where 's that big 3 c.d. Hook release that was supposed to be in November?

You know that place between sleep and awake? That place where you still remember dreaming? There.

• 2 weeks later...

The sad thing is that all these sales are useless to me because I have almost all the titles on sale. :blink:

I'd also recommend Prince Of Foxes, John Goldfarb, Above And Beyond, All Fall Down and Khartoum.

It's quite strange to see Airplane! as part of the sale. I mean, this was one of those scores that was endlessly asked by fans for a release for years, so you would expect it would sell out in a short range of time... and instead it's still here and offered for sale. Film score collecting is a strange world.

It sold out at LaLaland. I haven't looked to see which sites still have it available for sale.

It's a shame because the score has some very good music.

Lukas is asking what we fans would like to see released through the CBS library.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=74044&forumID=1&archive=0

Here's the link to the CBS library at UCLA:

http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/kt8x0nd51b

As far as Williams goes, The Reivers and Gilligan's Island jumps out at me.

Also, FSM has two more releases to finish this year, Poltergeist and Leonard Rosenman's score for A Man Called Horse. And next year, Goldsmith's score to the TV movie, The Homecoming - A Christmas Story (The TV movie about the Waltons before the series began).

Homecoming is next year.

Poltergeist (2CDs) and Man Called Horse (1CD, Rosenman) will be out in early to mid-December, and that's it for 2010!

Lukas

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=2&threadID=73370&archive=0

Lalo wrote a rejected score.

I'd love to see the Reivers complete release. I haven't seen the film but I heard part of the suite that included music that isn't on the CD. I just chimed in at FSM. A lot of people are asking for Reivers - I think there's a good chance we'll get it next year or the year after.

I'd love to see the Reivers complete release. I haven't seen the film but I heard part of the suite that included music that isn't on the CD.

The Reivers Suite for Narrator and Orchestra contains music specifically written for it (the tuba solo describing the Wynton Flyer and the exciting scherzo for the horse race) that is nowhere to be found in the actual film score.

Actually there's not much unreleased music from the OST, just a few cues here and there (the film version of the horse race among them), but the album is a very good representation of the score and a very nice stand-alone listening experience. As usual with Williams OSTs, some cues were joined together to create a better listening flow.

But I would welcome an expanded Reivers CD, it's a great score. Probably you could fit both the film score and the OST album on a single disc. It would also be nice to listen to Schifrin's rejected score.

Plus I would imagine the Sony album could be cleaned up a bit.

I'm not one for making a fuss over artwork but I think a re-issue could also improve that. I used the original Varese artwork for iTunes.

• 2 weeks later...

It was just posted on Facebook by SAE that 2 new FSM releases will be announced for sale tomorrow.

It should be Poltergeist and Leonard Roseman's A Man Called Horse.

Plus I would imagine the Sony album could be cleaned up a bit.

I'm not one for making a fuss over artwork but I think a re-issue could also improve that. I used the original Varese artwork for iTunes.

Actually, I think that the Sony album sounds pretty good. The artwork is a close representative of the release poster.

Actually there's not much unreleased music from the OST, just a few cues here and there (the film version of the horse race among them), but the album is a very good representation of the score and a very nice stand-alone listening experience. As usual with Williams OSTs, some cues were joined together to create a better listening flow.

That's true, but I think the sound quality could be improved. Some tracks sound very bad.

I agree, it could use some sound quality improvement. In a lot of tracks you can hear... well I don't know the techical term, but I guess "ghosting" (no pun intended) of the track in the more quiet bits. This is especially evident in the beginning of "Night of the Beast". Also, I wonder how the structure of this edition will be, and if "It Knows What Scares You" and "Rebirth" will still be "connected" between the tracks, or if there was a clean ending to "It Knows What Scares You"?

• 1 month later...

Ugh, I hate their white on black backgrounds, blech

Here's the listing (with more artwork too) at the FSM site:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm?cdID=459

I'd be curious to near the random Bernstein score thrown in there that has nothing to do with Lassie, but I can't say I've ever heard a note of any of these scores or seen any of these movies

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed SAE posted a little blurb on Facebook about some upcoming releases. I'm not going to post the actual Facebook post since you need to be a member and friends with SAE to read it.

I know Morlock will be excited as well about this, I am as well.

Georges Delerues' Rich And Famous. It will be paired with One Is A Lonely Hunter. I can't find anything on that score, although someone thought it may be a score by Michel Legrand.

Robinson Crusoe On Mars - Van Cleave

An on the Counterpoint Label:

Last Train From Gun Hill - Dimitri Tiomkin

David Grusin score The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, which FSM already released.

Nothing came up for me when I entered the title in the IMDB. Unless it's a French title that hasn't been translated.

I think it should be One Is A Lonely Number by Legrand, it would fit with the Delerue score since both titles were from MGM.

The Delerue score is short but it has such a beautiful theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5ppylmoQo

David Grusin score The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter, which FSM already released.

Nothing came up for me when I entered the title in the IMDB. Unless it's a French title that hasn't been translated.

I think it should be One Is A Lonely Number by Legrand, it would fit with the Delerue score since both titles were from MGM.

The Delerue score is short but it has such a beautiful theme.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ5ppylmoQo

Candice Bergen AND Jacqueline Bisset?! Ooh, I've just come.

Looks like SAE will be announcing a title today but not sure if it's one of the above ones listed on Facebook.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=75780&forumID=1&archive=0

next release will be live within the hour

David Shire's The Big Bus.

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/464/Big-Bus-The/