The Official Film Score Monthly (FSM) Thread

Ollie

There are rights issues. Although LaLaLand managed to get Innerspace cleared for release and it had a similar situation with the original soundtrack (songs), studio (Warner Bros) and original record label (Geffen).

• 1 month later...

Released August 22nd:

Not With My Wife, You Don't! Vol. 2—Original Soundtrack (1966)

Music by John Williams

Price: $19.95

Limited #: 3000

Line: Silver Age

CD Release: August 2011

Catalog #: Vol. 14, No. 14

# of Discs: 1

Not With My Wife, You Don't! (1966) was one of a series of sex comedies John Williams scored in the mid '60s (during his "Johnny" period). A delightful screwball comedy starring George C. Scott and Tony Curtis as rivals for the affection of Italian beauty Virna Lisi, the film was produced and directed by Norman Frank (whose previous credits included Danny Kaye's The Court Jester and two Bob Hope "Road" films). Co-author Larry Gelbart brought to the screenplay the same mordant wit he would later display in Tootsie and M*A*S*H, and the unlikely pairing of Scott and Curtis generated surprising comedic chemistry.

As was common with Williams's projects of the period, the score is bursting with catchy tunes. Much of the music is based on two of the three songs he composed for the film with legendary songwriter Johnny Mercer. "Big Beautiful Ball" is a bouncy jazz waltz, and "My Inamorata" is used extensively throughout the score as a love theme. Elsewhere, the music demonstrates the same deft comic touch (encompassing patriotic parody, ethnic strains, and even an operatic spoof) that served the composer so well in Home Alone and countless other films.

FSM reissued the LP re-recording of Not With My Wife, You Don't! in March 2006. The album program offered a unique and delightful listening experience in its own right, but this CD offers the premiere release of the nearly-complete original film tracks, derived from the original ½″ three-track scoring masters.

Numerous film stills decorate the 16-page booklet, surrounding an essay on film and score by FSM's "resident Williams authority," Jeff Eldridge. Not With My Wife, You Don't! overflows with wit and the contemporary sensibility of film-scoring's most celebrated maestro. Even fans with Vol. 1 already in their collection will need to buy this sequel because, like Virna Lisi's character in the film, they will want "two of everything." One can never have too much John Williams.

Not With My Wife, You Don't!, Vol. 2—Original Soundtrack

Music Composed and Conducted by Johnny Williams

Original Songs: Music by Johnny Williams, Lyrics by Johnny Mercer

A Big Beautiful Ball 1:17

Jalousie/The Green-Eyed Monster/Jalousie Again/The Globs/Harry is Perturbed/Tuba Bell/Drum Cadence 3:58

Ferris Wheel March 0:49

General Parker's Arrival 0:33

My Inamorata 2:46

Pajama Talk 1:29

The American Eagle 1:47

Korean Juke Box #1 1:39

Korean Juke Box #2 1:38

Korean Juke Box #3 2:52

Defending the Flag/It'll Take Hours 2:37

Butterflies 1:59

Tank's Charm 2:02

Brandy Snifter/Making Wallets/More Wallets/Still More Wallets 1:52

Two of Everything 3:21

Tank Shinto 0:53

Bowed Heads and Flowers 2:19

Tom's Jealousy 1:15

Discotheque #1 (Not With My Wife, You Don't!) 0:46

Discotheque #2 (Not With My Wife, You Don't!) 0:23

Two of Everything 1:52

Off to Labrador/Eskimo Pie/Row Your Own Boat 3:00

Tank's Beach Party/Two of Everything 3:51

Rosa & Vittorio/Hero's Horns 2:33

Arrivederci Mondo 0:46

Cold Feet 0:43

High Tank 1:56

Tom Goes A.W.O.L. 0:57

Tom's Anger 1:07

Rome Radio 0:35

Exterior Capitol/End Title 1:12

A Big Beautiful Ball (End Credits) 0:27

Total Time: 56:37

Bonus Tracks

A Big Beautiful Ball (instrumental) 1:17

Discotheque #1 (instrumental) 0:46

Discotheque #2 (instrumental) 0:24

Ciao, Baby (alternate End Title) 0:56

A Big Beautiful Ball (alternate) 1:17

Main Title (Big Beautiful Ball) (album version) 2:57

Total Time: 7:50

Total Disc Time: 64:34

http://www.filmscore...il.cfm?cdID=478

The Great Santini (1979)

Music by Elmer Bernstein

Limited #: 1500

Line: Silver Age

CD Release: August 2011

Catalog #: Vol. 14, No. 13

The Great Santini (1979) was novelist Pat Conroy's semi-autographical tribute to his father, a Marine fighter pilot who struggled with being a loving father and husband while keeping up his aggressive machismo image. The film featured Oscar-nominated performances by Robert Duvall as Col. "Bull" Meechum and Michael O'Keefe as his eldest son, Ben. Blythe Danner played Meechum's wife, Lillian.

In the late '70s and early '80s, Elmer Bernstein seemed temporarily type-cast as a composer of low-brow comedies such as Animal House, Meatballs and Airplane!, but his score for The Great Santini amply demonstrated his undiminished gift for poignant and emotional drama. The lyrical melodies he composed for Santini perfectly capture the film's characters and their complex interrelationships. In addition to these evocative themes, suitably percussive, dissonant and dramatic passages mirror the darker elements of the story.

There are several source music cues in the film—including an arrangement of Henry Mancini's "Moon River" (from Breakfast at Tiffany's) by Bernstein's orchestrator, David Spear—that reflect the story's early 1960s time-frame.

With the exception of two cues taken from the film's monaural music stem, this premiere presentation of Bernstein's complete score for The Great Santini has been mixed from the original Warner Bros. 1/2" three-track stereo masters. In addition, FSM has included a delightful bonus (recorded during the Santini sessions but not related to the film): a march Bernstein composed for the inauguration of Charles Huttenback as the third chancellor of the University of California, Santa Barbara.

The 16-page booklet designed by Joe Sikoryak contains films stills, poster art, and notes on the film and music by Scott Bettencourt and Frank K. DeWald. Additional background information is also available—for free—at FSM's growing repository of online notes. The Great Santini is a prime example of the art of film scoring by one of its greatest practitioners and makes a significant addition to the FSM catalog of Bernstein titles.

Track List

The Great Santini

Music Composed and Conducted by Elmer Bernstein

The Santini Mystique (Main Title—original version) 2:14

Restaurant Source 3:24

Fascination (Fermo Dante Marchetti & Maurice de Féraudy) 1:23

Ben and Bull 1:36

New Home 1:10

Bull in the Rain 1:47

Mother and Son 1:13

The Boys/Idyll 2:57

Ben's Birthday Gift 2:16

Birthday Letter 1:23

Officers' Club 2:41

Getting Drunk 3:16

Bees and... 1:34

Locker Room 2:00

Trouble/Ben Finds Toomer/Aftermath 5:52

Looking for Bull 1:48

Arabelle 1:08

Radio Source 1:07

Moon River (Henry Mancini & Johnny Mercer) 2:17

Goodnight, Sweetheart (Ray Noble, Jimmy Campbell & Reg Connelly) 1:20

Lillian 1:10

Confession 2:25

Intro to End Credits/End Credit Overture 3:22

Total Time: 50:21

Bonus Tracks

The Santini Mystique (Main Title—film version) 2:27

Inauguration (UCSB) 4:07

Total Time: 6:36

Total Disc Time: 57:04

http://filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/479/Great-Santini-The/

Released September 12th:

The Space Children/The Colossus of New York (1958)

Music by Nathan Van Cleave

Limited #: 1500

Line: Golden Age

CD Release: September 2011

Catalog #: Vol. 14, No. 15

The two films on this FSM "double feature" arrived near the end of the first Golden Age of cinematic science fiction, launched in 1951 with The Thing From Another World and The Day the Earth Stood Still. By the time William Alland produced The Space Children and The Colossus of New York in 1958, box office was down and budgets where correspondingly smaller.

Creativity and imagination are priceless, however, and composer Van Cleave scored both of these films with the same affinity for the genre he had shown in The Conquest of Space (1955) and would demonstrate again in Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964) and Project X (1968).

What The Space Children lacked in production values it compensated for with a thought-provoking storyline about children saving the world from the brink of nuclear annihilation at the behest of a benign alien being. Van Cleave's eerie but economical score (for an ensemble of 15 instruments, including electric violin and 3 organs—including a Novachord) evokes the alien's other-worldly presence throughout the film.

Loosely based on the legend of the Golem, The Colossus of New York starred Ross Martin as a brilliant scientist whose brain is encased in a Frankenstein-like mechanical body after his death, with tragic results for himself and his family. Van Cleave (who received invaluable assistance on the score from the late Fred Steiner) complimented the film's black-and-white photography with—almost literally—a "black-and-white" score for three keyboard players. Avoiding the emotional expressiveness of strings and other instruments for the more limited colors of piano (augmented by organ and celesta) led Van Cleave to create one of the most strikingly original science fiction scores ever written.

The relative obscurity of both films has kept these two fascinating scores largely under wraps—until now. With this release, fans can appreciate—for the first time—Van Cleave's scores for The Space Children and The Colossus of New York in their entirety. FSM has remastered the music for both movies from surviving 35mm three-track stereo music masters, supplemented by cues from the films' monaural music stems (with a light stereo ambience added to enhance listenability). The 20-page booklet includes an informative essay by Jeff Bond and numerous film stills in stunning black-and-white.

Track List

The Space Children

Music Composed by Van Cleave, Conducted by Irvin Talbot

Prelude 2:32

The Arrival (Humming Sound) 0:55

A Friendly Hand/The Thunderer (Launching Center) 1:00

The Brain's Descent Pt. 1/The Brain's Descent Pt. 2 1:13

No Swimming/Search for the Brain/The Brain/Strange Conduct/For Two Cents 3:46

Gamble Chases Tim/The Brain Protects Tim 3:27

Joe Is Dead 1:29

Get It Out/What Is It?/Hide It/Tonight 3:36

Dave Becomes Paralyzed 1:16

Truck Stops 1:20

Sentry Shack 0:56

Hank Views the Brain 1:43

The Brain's Message 1:21

The Unexpected 1:04

Doctor and Brain 1:27

Open Sesame/Zero Hour 1:28

The Barricade/Brain's Departure & Finale 3:58

Total Time: 33:14

The Colossus of New York

Music Composed by Van Cleave, Conducted by Irvin Talbot

Main Title/Machinery 1:36

Famous Man 0:30

Jeremy Is Killed 1:06

Dr. Spensser Operates 1:11

Family Chapel 1:12

Jeremy's Brain 1:31

Alpha Waves 1:17

The Colossus/Decision to Live 3:48

Don't Goad Me/Billy and the Giant 1:36

The Missing Billy 0:47

Moonlight Walk/The Forced Kiss/Out of the Shadows 3:46

The End of Henry/A Very Loud Crash 2:06

A Toy for Billy/U.N. Building 4:16

Colossus Falls 1:01

Finale 0:55

Total Time: 27:04

Bonus Tracks

Farewell Party 1:39

Idlewild 0:27

Total Time: 2:08

Total Disc Time: 62:42

http://filmscoremonthly.com/cds/detail.cfm/CDID/480/Space-Children-The-Colossus-of-New-York-The/

• 4 weeks later...

So, you know how Lukas Kendall is ending the FSM label with their 250th release, and #241 was Nathan Van Cleave's The Space Children and Colossus of New York?

Well the FSM Facebook has twice since been updated with news. On October 9:

CD #242 off to the plant!

Link:

f5a30aa7c9b1f23ab1ce795f492095ae

Late last night:

CD #243 off to the plant! Two preposterously obscure TV projects on one CD!

Link:

f5a30aa7c9b1f23ab1ce795f492095ae

I really REALLY want the TV one to be Earth Star Voyager paired with some other Lalo Schifrin score, but I don't think it qualifies as "preposterously obscure"

Wouldn't be surprised if they release both on the same day in about 3 weeks time

• 2 weeks later...

Shortly after posting, he changed his avatar to this:

4044.gif

Looks like a Pumkin carved into a Gizmo Jack-O-Lantern. Either because today is Halloween, because one of the releases is Gremlins, or both!

Shortly after posting, he changed his avatar to this:

4044.gif

Looks like a Pumkin carved into a Gizmo Jack-O-Lantern. Either because today is Halloween, because one of the releases is Gremlins, or both!

Finally! :drool:

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Could just be for Halloween, unrelated to the release

Indeed and if he did do that pumpkin carving that's one hell of a carving.

I've always wanted to do a Vader pumpkin but I could never do it right. Damn it one of the years I'm gonna get it right!

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. Could just be for Halloween, unrelated to the release

Please, if dozens of grown men here are allowed to wet themselves over some accordion tune from TINTIN, i can prematurely raise a glass on an imaginery Goldsmith release!

Indeed and if he did do that pumpkin carving that's one hell of a carving.

No, that image is older than the internet

• 3 weeks later...

FSM is having a terrific new sale! I'm going to take part so I can get that fancy TV box with the Williams score!

FSM Holiday Freebies—Special Offer! Posted By: Lukas Kendall on November 23, 2011 - 8:00 AM

This is our last holiday season as an active label (see announcement). Given how well a recent David Raksin 5CD set promotion worked, we are doing it again but with more choices:

BUY $100 from the FSM back-catalog (any FSM products) and get for FREE your choice of the following, each one a $60 value:

1. David Raksin at M-G-M 5CD
  2. TV Omnibus: 5CD set of rare TV music
  3. Lassie Anthology: 5CD set of M-G-M Lassie movie soundtracks
  4. Three Leonard Rosenman CDs: The Cobweb/Edge of the City, A Man Called Horse and Prophecy (no substitutions!)

Here’s how: Once you’ve placed your order for the $100 at <a href="http://www.screenarchives.com/">Screen Archives (pre-tax, pre-shipping, etc.), put in the notes field a request (for example), “FREE CHOICE 2) TV OMNIBUS.” (SAE is renowned for their customer service, and will take care of you.)

Order $200 and get two of the free choices, $300 and get three, etc.

There is only one rule…NO SUBSTITUTIONS! These promotions are very difficult for SAE to manage. They have to implement them manually—emails asking for favors, changes, etc., drive them to drink…and get me in trouble for all the extra work I've caused them. Please do not get me in trouble!

One word about the TV Omnibus: I am very proud of this collection. It is a great “all-star” collection of composers—including Williams, Rosenman, Grusin, Fielding, Schifrin and more—doing rare TV work. I probably overdid it with the five discs and $59.95 price, so I would be thrilled if people used this promotion to pick it up. It has some really fascinating tracks by great composers!

This will be good through end of day E.S.T. on December 31, 2011. However, you may want to order sooner rather than later to make sure you snatch certain low-quantity titles…

Low Quantity Titles to Consider:

$4.95 sales: The Egyptian (159), King Kong (Barry version, 145).

Jerry Goldsmith titles: 100 Rifles (226), The Stripper/Nick Quarry (194), Room 222/Ace Eli and Rodger of the Skies (255).

John Williams titles: A Guide for the Married Man (173), The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing (295).

Conquest of/Battle for the Planet of the Apes (T. Scott/Rosenman): 307

The View From Pompey’s Head/Blue Denim (Bernstein/Herrmann): 259

Lust for Life (Rózsa): 177

On the Beach/The Secret of Santa Vittoria (Gold): 278

I Spy Vol. 1 (Hagen): 294

Box Set: Elmer Bernstein’s Film Music Collection: 245

Also, the following were originally planned for 3,000-copy editions but we are cutting them off at 1500 each: Toys in the Attic (Duning, 183), The Fastest Gun Alive/House of Numbers (Previn, 188), Two Weeks in Another Town (Raksin, 102), Invitation/A Life of Her Own (Kaper, 200).

Original post: http://filmscoremonthly.com/daily/article.cfm/articleID/6741/

Of course!

Right now my cart contains:

Gremlins

Goodbye, Mr. Chips.

Nightwatch

White Dog

Which totals to $99.80

I don't know whether to add a $5 title like King Kong to push it over or just go with another $20 title. I forgot they released Tootsie and wouldn't mind adding it.

My cart also has Gremlins and Nightwatch. If I add the FSM Print Archive and First Knight then its $105, might do that. Or, I might wait to see what next week's Intrada is, what the week after's FSM title is, and wait and see if FSM releases a final batch before the end of the year (the sale runs until Dec 31)

UPDATE about FSM's next two titles!!!!

Lukas, will the FSM label be releasing any new titles between now and when this offer expires?

FSM CD #244 is at the plant now and will probably be on sale shortly before Xmas, but while I like it, it's not the kind of super-anticipated album like Gremlins that you might expect from our last batch of CDs. (That's because it took ages and ages to finish!) #245, which IS a very exciting title, may or may not be done by then, we are working as fast as we can.

Thanks,

Lukas

Source: http://filmscoremont...?threadID=84710

Can't wait for the "exciting" upcoming title! And am very curious about the "non-exciting and long-delayed" title as well

• 2 weeks later...

I'm torn between three options, at the moment.

Option #1: Order $200 worth of FSM titles and use the promotion to get the TV Omnibus and the David Raskin box set.

Option #2: Order $100 worth of FSM and get the TV Omnibus, as well as order The Great Train Robbery, Wolfen, Gold, and First Blood from Intrada.

Option #3: Order the Intrada titles and wait to see if the next two FSM titles are released before the promotion ends.

Lukas Kendall said he hoped to have the next FSM release out before X-Mas (and that the one after that could be done by then as well), and the promotion runs until Dec 31st, so I personally am waiting to see what the next FSM title is before I order my $100 worth of titles.

Great Train Robbery and First Blood are unlimited MAF releases, so you can wait to buy those at some point in the future when you have more money / when you don't have to Christmas shop / etc.

Wolfen is part of their new policy where they will order more copies if a title sells out fast, so you have time for that too

Gold, on the other hand, Intrada is only legally allowed to sell until December 14th. However, it doesn't mean that after that day all existing copies will disappear from the other stores as well. For example, Moviemusic.com is still carrying The Caller, MIssing In Action 2, and Desire Under The Elms, the last 3 titles that Intrada announced was going OOP before Gold

http://www.moviemusi.../M07332/caller/

http://www.moviemusi...ssinginaction2/

http://www.moviemusi...reundertheelms/

SAE could still have all those in stock too; I didn't check

Yeah but using the MAF as an excuse to wait just makes me hold off for a looong time. That's what I said when First Blood came out and I still don't have it :lol:

I'd like to just pick them all up now and not have to worry about it later. FSM, though, I'll definitely wait.

If you order First Blood/Great Train/Wolfen from moviemusic.com, then you'll only pay $1 for shipping, whereas if you order from Intrada you'll pay whatever they charge for shipping there.

Another thing to think about is that MAF titles eventually end up on amazon at a lower price AND they quality for free shipping there. They haven't added First Blood, Patton, Great Escape, or Great Train YET, but they eventually will. Older MAFs such as Rocky IV, JAG, and Manhunter are available right now:

http://www.amazon.co...lbum-Submit.y=0

Lukas Kendall just announced there is only 161 copies left in stock of Guns for San Sebastian by Ennio Morricone and no more will be pressed.

Source: http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=85072&forumID=1&archive=0

Lukas Kendall just confirmed for me that FSM CD#244 will be out before Christmas. As soon as it's announced, I'll make my $100 order to get the free TV Omnibus box set

Sorry. Looks like only #244 will be out before Xmas. Then the last six next year.

Thanks!

Lukas

Once again, this is what Lukas said about FSM titles #244 and #245:

FSM CD #244 is at the plant now and will probably be on sale shortly before Xmas, but while I like it, it's not the kind of super-anticipated album like Gremlins that you might expect from our last batch of CDs. (That's because it took ages and ages to finish!) #245, which IS a very exciting title, may or may not be done by then, we are working as fast as we can.

Thanks,

Lukas

• 2 weeks later...

Since FSM didn't released their latest cd before Christmas I started now to make my list for the 100$ order.

These are probabely the titles I will order:

1.The Homecoming: A Christmas Story/Rascals and Robbers (Goldsmith/Horner)

2.Nightwatch/Killer by Night (Williams/Jones)clear.gif

3.Testament (Horner)

4.Outland 2CD set (Goldsmith)

5.Poltergeist 2CD set (Goldsmith)

What will be your titles if you also place a 100$ order for the bonus gift from FSM?