The Official Film Score Monthly (FSM) Thread

Ollie

In regards to the final title, apparently it's not a huge release, meaning its not the 10 Commandments.

Apparently the identity of the release has been released to a select few privileged people at FSM.

That's what everyone keeps saying but I really hope FSM pulls a fast one on us.

I mean, this is Lukas' legacy, his disdain for the fans can't really be that bad, can it? In a perfect world, I would have liked a big countdown of the final releases, and for the finale, something special for which they did a big announcement ala LLL's Star Trek OS box.

I don't think he has any disdain, he's just tired of running a label. He's still going to work with the other labels in getting scores out.

But the titles he's releasing were ones already in the works. So unless he changes his mind, there never was an elaborate release planned. Whatever was in the works for #250, regardless of whether or not its the final FSM, is going to be released as the final disc.

Yeah I understand that, which is fine, but the for the last title nothing is stopping you from going, "Okay, let's do something special and pass on other opportunities that we were going to follow up on." Also their typical "We don't announce titles in case they fall through" is irrelevant at this point. Go out with a bang, I say.

I recall him saying the reason he's quitting is because everyone on the forum always complains about the smallest problems and never appreciates the hard work they all put into the releases. That plus the whole Next Gen box set fiasco.

But that's the point, he didn't one day go "OK, I want to end my label soon. Let me go pick my 10 dream projects and release those, ending with the best one of all.".

He one day went "Hmmm. Everything that's already started production now brings us to exactly 250 titles. I've been thinking about quitting this business anyway, and that's a nice number to end on. I think I won't begin work on any new projects now, and in a few months when a few of these titles have come out, and if I'm still sure about my decision, I'll let people know we're ending at #250 then."

The projects come out in whatever order they happen to go through the various processes of passing clearance, masters arriving, masters being cleaned up, a presentation being sequenced, artwork being approved, and everything else. The order is NOT determined by ANYTHING else.

Whatever #250 is happened to take the longest to finish. Would you have preferred he finished up work on King Kong and Body Heat then just let them sit there finished and ready to release for months until #250 was done just so something "better" could be #250? If so you're crazy.

The man who finishes a race last is the one who is not followed by anybody. He is not "chosen" at the start of the race, no, but as the race winds to a close and the final standing is basically in the books, whether anybody "chose" him to lose is immaterial.

It would have been nice if King Kong happened to be the last one to get approved, pressed, and released, but I for one am glad they released them as they got finished rather than holding off on one just to make it a "special" last one. Besides, whatever #250 is will be special to SOMEONE, and that's all that matters.

So that's not what Lukas wanted to do.

This is like me being criticized for criticizing The Dark Knight Rises for not being the movie I wanted it to be. You're criticizing Lukas Kendall for not doing the things you want him to do.

You have a point there, Jason

The impression I got was that the final 10 were more or less locked and in various states of production, and Lukas chose to end it there.

I'm sure there are more reasons at play for Lukas wanting to end the label than have been made public. Lukas decided it was time to move on and he's doing so.

Besides, it's not like he's leaving the business or anything, he's still producing CDs for Intrada and La La Land. He just needed to end his label for his own reasons and I totally respect him for that and I don't get why you don't.

I respect it, I understand it, ALL I'M SAYING IT THAT SOME HYPE WOULD HAVE BEEN COOL MMMKAAAY?? Even if the title is just another one, hype it up. Do a pre-annoucnement with a short video commemorating 250 releases with a little goodbye.

I'm sure there are more reasons at play for Lukas wanting to end the label than have been made public. Lukas decided it was time to move on and he's doing so.

Besides, it's not like he's leaving the business or anything, he's still producing CDs for Intrada and La La Land. He just needed to end his label for his own reasons and I totally respect him for that and I don't get why you don't.

Truth be told.

I do wonder though if the hurt of the Ron Jones Star Trek TNG set is what made him decide to "close up shop". We all know he lost a lot of money in that set.

• 3 weeks later...

Why are SAE's shipping rates as high as they are? I think what kills me is that they add an extra dollar for EVERY CD, and that goes for multiple CD sets... a 2-disc set takes up the same space as a 1 disc set and is hardly much heavier either. I can see them charging more for a BOXED set that is bigger and heavier. But I always found this whole "shipping per disc not ITEM" thing to be a bit of a reason to go elsewhere. I'm not really complaining, since we all have a choice. I just wonder why they chose it to be this way.

Well, the Cyber Monday sale is in session now!

I ordered Jerry Goldsmith's "Islands In The Stream", which with the discount made it only $15! But while I was at it, I thought I better get at least an additional set of something else (though not on sale). I was in a tossup between "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" LLL set or the "Michael Crichton Collection: Coma, Westworld, Carey Treatment". The latter one, even though I really wanted the former, but the Crichton Collection is almost out of print, according to FSM, with only a little over 100 copies left.

The funny thing is, both "Islands" and "Crichton" I used to own, but sold them both off almost 2 years ago while I was unemployed to try and get some extra bucks for some other things I wanted. I regretted selling both ever since, but never liked the idea of re-buying something like this. I was always waiting to find a cheaper price for both but never really did. So, this sale seemed as good a reason as any to finally bite the bullet and get them both back. :)

• 1 month later...

I missed this when it was posted, but Chris @ SAE posted on FSM's boards that title #250 is coming out in January:

FSM release will be January, from last I heard.

http://www.filmscore...mID=1&archive=0

I look forward to Lukas Kendall's next article discussing the last batch of releases after it's out.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Now Chris @ SAE says it will be out in mid-March

Looking like by mid March maybe. I believe everything is now signed off so just pressing plant stuff, which may be happening now. But don't quote me on that.

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=94144&forumID=1&archive=0

First January, then February, now March. I'll believe it when it's on the site.

Indeed. Don't be surprised if they post in March saying, "Now it'll be this (different) month". Don't keep saying a certain month unless you absolutely 100% know for sure.

There could have been some unexpected legal issues, rights etc etc that popped up. And Lukas Kendall has been busy with other stuff outside of film music.

And it's not like we're lacking for releases.

Most of you won't be interested in it anyways so why even worry?

Now Chris @ SAE says it will be out in mid-March

Looking like by mid March maybe. I believe everything is now signed off so just pressing plant stuff, which may be happening now. But don't quote me on that.

Good job, LeBlanc!

There have been no clues given about FSM #250, and in fact LK hasn't said a single word about it at all.

I have no idea why Chris @ SAE keeps talking about it....

• 2 weeks later...

Chris @ SAE says

The End is Near!

Less than 50!
GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS $34.95
THE BRIDGE AT REMAGEN / THE TRAIN $19.95
FROM THE TERRACE $9.95
A MAN CALLED PETER $9.95
Less than 100!
APPOINTMENT $16.95
GREEN MANSIONS $19.95
100 RIFLES $14.95