Chris Hülsbeck Newspaper Article

Probably won't interest anybody here, since few know about old video game scores and few here speak German, but Austrian newspaper "der Standard " has an article about Chris Hülsbeck on their website:

Link

Very cool, I never thought I'd read about him in a major newspaper. And he mentions Williams, Goldsmith, Silvestri and Zimmer.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting - I didn't know he was 41 already. His tunes would always get stuck in my head when I played old games on my C64 or Amiga - most notably Turrican, R-Type and Giana Sisters.

I guess I was lucky to get "Symphonic Shades" as it says the CDs were ripped away. It is a very enjoyable listening experience.

Considering he was one of the first to write C64 scores that went beyond simple bleep noises, he had to be of a certain age. :) My favourites, in addition to those you listed, are Spherical, Katakis and X-Out, and also Grand Monster Slam.

I've converted all those to WAV and listen to them every once in a while. I never picked up any of his CDs though, being afraid they might be too different/remixed to the charm of the originals. How are they?

I only have "Symphonic Shades", but I can tell you that if you like the whole big orchestra with choir, you'll certainly like it. They are orchestrated to have a sound that reminds me of the good scores of the 80's, and some, imo, have a distinct Goldsmith vibe. I listen to the old chips tunes as well, and it's quite fun to first listen to old chiptune of X-Out, and afterwards listen to it with full orchestra and choir.

Interesting. I should keep an eye open for it.

Thanks for the article, Marian. I had no idea he scored the Rogue Squadron games.....

Oh yes he did. And quite brilliantly so, in parts. Side note: Some of it is just synth renditions of the original scores, but that makes me assume he actually had access to the original score sheets.

Interesting. I should keep an eye open for it.
Thanks for the article, Marian. I had no idea he scored the Rogue Squadron games.....

Oh yes he did. And quite brilliantly so, in parts. Side note: Some of it is just synth renditions of the original scores, but that makes me assume he actually had access to the original score sheets.

Yes, I always thought he did them by ear but, listening to them now, he must must have had the original score sheets.