La-La Land announces Airplane by Elmer Bernstein!

Romão

The epic sticker battle is over, and I'm about halfway through the score proper. It sounds good. Not spectacular but it doesn't need to. And the music itself is very enjoyable. The disc is actually made to look like a vinyl record.

The booklet is quite thick, with extensive liner notes from Dan Goldwasser, covering Airplane's entire life- from first conception in 1956, through production, the movie's legacy, and the production of this disc. And there's this Neil S. Bulk guy that's credited as an Assistant Editor. I think I know him from somewhere. Wasn't he in Star Trek?

;)- Airplane!

EDIT- Or I would be if I could get this bloody sticker on the top of the case off. Half of it has melded with the jewel case at a molecular level, and the rest insists on coming off in 50 little pieces.

A good trick is to carefully take apart the case (the part with the cover) and then you can remove the sticker with no problem at all

And there's this Neil S. Bulk guy that's credited as an Assistant Editor. I think I know him from somewhere.

I believe he's best known for starting the 'The Best Zimmer Score Vs. The Worst Williams Score' poll.

;)- Airplane!

EDIT- Or I would be if I could get this bloody sticker on the top of the case off. Half of it has melded with the jewel case at a molecular level, and the rest insists on coming off in 50 little pieces.

A good trick is to carefully take apart the case (the part with the cover) and then you can remove the sticker with no problem at all

Yeah, that's what I usually do with DVDs.

Has anyone else gotten it or am I the first one? :blink:

The score to Airplane?! What is it!?

The music that plays during that movie, but that's not important right now.

I haven't gotten it yet. I got a confirmation about a week ago (don't remember if it was Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, and I'm just not checking right now). I ordered it with Secret Weapons Over Normandy, but I don't think that should've messed it up too bad.

It appears it will probably be another week before I get mine as I ordered Mars Attacks as well.

But like I said, it's been a 29 year wait so another week or two won't hurt.

I ordered mine from moviemusic. It's in Roswell, I'm in Pennsylvania. I might get my copy by the 4th of July, I might not.

Yeah, but maybe it will be delivered by a really cool UFO

I think I buy these soundtracks online just so there's something in the mail worth waiting for. It gives me something to look forward to when I get home, besides dinner and bed. It's like having a pen pal that sends you cool stuff, and you don't have to write a letter back.

It appears it will probably be another week before I get mine as I ordered Mars Attacks as well.

But like I said, it's been a 29 year wait so another week or two won't hurt.

I could send you a copy of mine and see which one gets there quicker. :D

And don't worry, it's worth the wait (not like you are worried, but...you know...damn cliches).

Got my copy today too! It's a much better listening experience than the shoe...

It was nice to hear all of that unused music, some of which was really quite cool. I'm so glad to have this!

Anyone care to work out a chronological order, including source music ("Disco", "Instruments", "Stayin' Alive", "River of Jordan", "R-E-S-P-E-C-T", etc.)? Damn this CD sounds so fantastic compared to the DVD rip!

Maxxie, do you like movies about gladiators?

Yes.

Do you like it when Scraps grabs onto your leg, and rubs up and down?

I've been through the CD a few times now and you know, for such a short score, and a comedy score, there's quite a bit of thematic depth here. I like.

John- contributing something more useful than random Airplane quotes :)

Enough with the damn quotes! The CD is out, people have got it, move the discussion to the last listened to score thread. Close this baby!

... Although I think our moderators are dead.

Calm down, Koray, because I don't have the score yet. Moviemusic dot com may be a tremendous value, but it takes a tremendous amount of time to truck a little package from the heart of alien country all the way to Pennsylvania. Save the dancing lock for a thread that deserves it.

I've been through the CD a few times now and you know, for such a short score, and a comedy score, there's quite a bit of thematic depth here. I like.

John- contributing something more useful than random Airplane quotes :lol:

I love that it catches you off guard. You'll be listening to a track and thinking 'man, this is really great stuff,' and then it'll suddenly turn in some way to make you split your sides laughing, which is when you think 'man, this is really GREAT stuff'. Like the end of 'Resolution' with the choir that can't reach the note.

I can't wait to receive and listen to this!

I've never looked at a blow-up doll the same way again since watching Airplane!!! (not that I use them I hasten to add!)

John- contributing something more useful than random Airplane quotes :lol:

I love that it catches you off guard. You'll be listening to a track and thinking 'man, this is really great stuff,' and then it'll suddenly turn in some way to make you split your sides laughing, which is when you think 'man, this is really GREAT stuff'. Like the end of 'Resolution' with the choir that can't reach the note.

I'm a proud Notre Dame football hater, but when its music kicks in always brings a smile to my face.

I'm a proud Notre Dame football hater, but when its music kicks in always brings a smile to my face.

We never stumble, we never fall, we sober up on pure alcohol...

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened for the first time. Who knows when my physical copy will arrive, since I ordered it with Mars Attacks!, but I am thankful I got the chance to listen to it now.

I liked it, its fun music. I don't like it more than The Great Escape or Stripes, but I think I like it more than Ghostbusters. The female choir in Resolution / Tag is awesome! The bonus tracks are a little much.... Tracks 1-22 are a nice complete listening experience. Everything after that is hit or miss, and sometimes repetitive. Though the alternate version of News was fun ;) What the heck is that percussion at the end of the last track?

What the heck is that percussion at the end of the last track?

I believe it's one of the newscasters beating sticks on a hollow log to report the news. The change in pitch is when he turns to face the other camera when it switches on him. ;)

What the heck is that percussion at the end of the last track?

I believe it's one of the newscasters beating sticks on a hollow log to report the news. The change in pitch is when he turns to face the other camera when it switches on him. ;)

Correct.

I cracked up the first time I listened to this score and heard the "Panel" cue. Because I knew exactly what that meandering sequence of music was referring to.

It seems they play the actual main theme (trumpet line starting 1:02 at of "Main Title") a lot more often in the movie, but I figure it's just tracked music that the score doesn't need to include because it's redundant.

I haven't read my booklet yet, but it does appear the main theme as well as a portion of the landing cue was looped in the film.

I normally don't associate the film with the music when I listen to scores but I couldn't quit laughing as I played the disc.

I'm glad the alternate and source cues are separated from the main score, because they'd disrupt it. Besides, the way the source cues are bookended by the real score and the alternates makes them function better as an addendum.

I don't even mind the Notre Dame music that much, just because it's Bernstein and it works so well onscreen. That's coming from another die-hard ND hater who loves seeing Regis cry in his Cheerios the Monday after the Irish collapse under the weight of Charlie Weis.

I love the alternate cue for the girl fight but the version used in the film was correct and fit the tone of the film better.