• Watch One Of The Movies
    • Listen To The Music
    • Don't Care

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am going to listen to the music. I had no idea this was the official SW day :sigh:

Don't care.

Tonight's TV night so I doubt I'll be listening to any film music, unless my copy of Something Wicked This Way Comes arrives in the mail.

I just listened to Star Wars Shadows of the Empire. Does it count?

You are bordering on heresy but the Night Skies has such a great variation on Vader's and Force theme that you are excused... this time.

Heresy as this might be, 'Destruction of Xizor's Palace' is better than anything in the prequels.

As impressive that piece is I find equal or much better pieces of music in the Prequels. But that is another fancy matter of taste.

:music: Immolation from Episode III

So this is the ten year anniversary of the day Star Wars died? Whoopteedoo.

No, that is still a couple weeks away. Today is the 10th anniversary of the TPM soundtrack release, not the movie. :music:

No, that is still a couple weeks away. Today is the 10th anniversary of the TPM soundtrack release, not the movie. :music:

Oh. Your original post, the third of this thread, was not specific.

Actually it's the 26th anniversary of the day Star Wars got ill.

Really ill.

Not terminally. It is like a determined and obstinate leprous man crawling and crawling ever on.

Yeah that's when they rushed it to the hospital. In 1999 they put it on life support.

Let's face it. Ewoks suck dude!

Nearly as much as the Gungans.

Sadly I find myself less and less interested in the SW films and more and more interested in the scores with every passing year.

I think Mark agrees, as he put 26th which would infer he meant 1983.

I'm definitely less enthused about the films and the franchise in general, but I still think OT wise they're two and a half amazing films. STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK are absolutely brilliant and certain parts of RETURN OF THE JEDI approach that brilliance.

I'll certainly come back to them at some point, but I'm not really bothered about them right now. Then again, it's the same with LOTR. I still acknowledge their general brilliance (for a lot of the part) but I've lost all my enthusiasm for them.

I wonder if that's the legacy of Star Wars. Would we all find the films as interesting if they didn't have John Williams' magnificent scores?

If you played the six Star Wars movies with no music, would they be as good? Could the weak dialogue, cut and paste mythology, and special effects that are a mix of primitively pioneering and glaringly obvious CGI tacked on stand up as long? I for one, don't think so.

I read the comments here about Leia's Theme supporting the archetype of a damsel in distress, and the music is so beautiful and soaring, and then we meet Leia in person, and I want her to get shot and drowned in the garbage chute.

I've never really been that big about the movies themselves. They've always been kids movies that I an adult can sit through, but they're still kids movies. When I was little though, I loved them and thought them the greatest thing. In the end they're thin movies with basic messages with wide appeal. Nothing wrong with it, but it's not something I can keep going back to as I get older.

As I grow older I find myself not enjoying even Star Wars and Empire as much, but the scores certainly get better and better with age.

I wonder if that's the legacy of Star Wars. Would we all find the films as interesting if they didn't have John Williams' magnificent scores?

Personally I don't think I would, as it's certainly a huge part, but maybe not to the degree that you would judging by your comments. Especially since I like the dialogue, the mythology, the primitive effects and Princess Leia's character. I am strictly talking the original trilogy though.

I tried to make it through some of the OT scores today and just lost interest. Star Wars just isn't for me.

And no I don't think the movies would be anything near where they are now without Williams. The sooner Lucas realises this the better.

Wed May 25, 1977: Star Wars theatrical release

Wed May 21, 1980: The Empire Strikes Back theatrical release

Wed May 25, 1983: Return of the Jedi theatrical release

Fri Jan 31, 1997: A New Hope: Special Edition theatrical release

Fri Feb 21, 1997: The Empire Strikes Back: Special Edition theatrical release

Fri Mar 14, 1997: Return Of The Jedi: Special Edition theatrical release

Wed May 19, 1999: The Phantom Menace theatrical release

Thu May 16, 2002: Attack of the Clones theatrical release

Thu May 19, 2005: Revenge of the Sith theatrical release

Tue May 4, 1999: The Phantom Menace OST released

Tue Apr 23 2002: Attack of the Clones OST released

Tue May 3, 2005: Revenge of the Sith OST released

So why the heck is May 4th Star Wars Day??

Star Wars would be better if Jerry Goldsmith had been responsible for the music.

:music:

No, as usual Luke misinterprets.

oops i read wrong. I somehow did not connected the years with the releases of the OT. Sorry.

But anyway i was not being sarcastic, i was puzzled (in my misunderstanding) that Mark thought Goldsmith Goldenage was so short. I was not trying to diminish Goldsmith.

I didn't realize today was Star Wars day. I probably won't do anything special for the occasion. In any case, happy anniversary.