Overrated

Andy

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few that I think generally receive far more praise than they're really worth.

Star Trek TMP

CE3K

Brian Tyler - just generally. Very little he's written has impressed me.

Doesn't extend far beyond that before it just becomes stuff I don't like but respect nonetheless.

Which also happens to be my stock answer for "movie score which made you realise that JW is a God" wink.gif

That's the great paradox of JWFan. He composes (IMO) borefests like AotC and Minority Report, and then the next day everyone's claiming him to be God, and sending hate mail to any composers unfortunate enough to write a sequel score.

You can't have everything.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

Yes, I went there.

I think it's both overrated and underrated. It often seems to be highly rated for reasons I disagree with, and not given enough credit for what I think is the real greatness of it.

To quote Robert Bolt: "I trust I make myself obscure?"

Star Wars

Empire Strikes Back

Schindler's List

The Phantom Menace

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Gladiator

Poltergeist

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The Mummy

The Mummy Returns

El Cid

Psycho

Vertigo

The Dark Knight

of course ,none of the Williams classics (Raiders,ToD,Last Crusade ,Star Wars , ESB,HPSS) belong in this thread

Add Total Recall to my list

Oh. Thanks, Joe. I apologize for my seething reply. Give indy4 a break, though. He's a kid and he's still just getting into music.

Whoa, back up. First off, I am not a "kid." Yes I have chosen not to disclose my age to this board, but that doesn't mean I'm a kid. I understand you're trying to help Henry (and I honestly appreciate that), but it's not really helping when you talk down to me.

HB, I just have a hard time when people get on Mark, he's one of our best and nicest posters.

Joey, Mark is not by any means one of the "nicest" posters. You two seem to go hand in hand in terms of taste, but it's ridiculous to say that his post, which said that people were stupid for not liking certain scores, was "nice." Perhaps I was a bit harsh in my response, and for that I apologize, but Mark has no right whatsoever to tell people they're stupid for liking/disliking certain things.

to quote Hermione, what an idiot.

for the record Mark and I have similar tastes, that is true, its generally referred to as Good.

Starting right now, I think I need to start making a list of how many times this site's first rule is broken and nothing happens. :P Running count: 1.

EDIT: Also, I'd have to agree that TMP is a bit overrated. I enjoy it, certainly, and some of the cues are really quite spectacular, but as of yet, I don't understand why it's embraced as such an unbeatable score. Perhaps my tastes will eventually change to accommodate it more.

Total Recall is the one Goldsmith score I'd go for as well. It's enjoyable enough, but it's never blown me away the way my favorites of his have.

I wouldn't really say that TDK is overrated, regardless of quality, isn't it hated by most of the members here?

It's despised on the board, when it's truly a suitable score with some good moments. The Dark Knight in general is severely overrated.

Strike that; reverse it.

On this board: TDK score properrated. In the mainstream: TDK score vastly overrated.

You can add me to the list as one who enjoys Elfman's MI score but it's hardly overrated.

IJ & The Last Crusade is overated in my opinon. It doesn't even come close to being as spectacular as Raiders or Temple as far as I'm concerned!

Damn, I chose a hell of a day to be busy at work. That argument looked fun.

of course ,none of the Williams classics (Raiders,ToD,Last Crusade ,Star Wars , ESB,HPSS) belong in this thread

Add Total Recall to my list

They may have been written by God, but God makes mistakes sometimes.

I just can't get into Raiders outside the highlights for instance.

I second Silvestri being overrated. I find his comedic action music very cheesy and he generally seems to go over the top with things. His inactivity recently doesn't bother me.

How exactly do you define the "mistakes" in Raiders?

Well, that's understandable; I mean, I for one enjoy the "Bad Dates" cue, but I can understand one not. You're right, though, the rest of the score is great! :)

I second Silvestri being overrated. I find his comedic action music very cheesy and he generally seems to go over the top with things. His inactivity recently doesn't bother me.

I like his writing style and the sheer sense of joy and enthusiasm that comes through in his work. I can understand his style not being to everyone's taste, though.

I can't read it, there's no words on it. There's no words on there! To play us out...What does that mean, to play us out? I don't know what that means!

"Cuthroat Island"

"Van Helsing" (Silvestri)

"Legend" (Goldsmith)

"Mousehunt"

"Judge Dredd"

"Krull"

"Lord of the Rings"

"Medal of Honor 1" (Giacchino)

"Hanover Street" (terribly overrated; "Somewhere In Time" is vastly better)

"Total Recall"

And a boatload of recent scores, like "Eagle Eye".

Well besides other people's opinions I consider for example half of Goldsmith's scores truly overrated, most Elmer Bernstein's output especially for comedies like Airplane and the dreadful Ghostbusters, any post 1995 Horner scores and some prior ones as well, Back to the Future series, Goonies and John Barry's Bond scores.

Ghostbusters

That's a fun score!

I think it is awful. But nice to know that you like it.

Well besides other people's opinions I consider for example half of Goldsmith's scores truly overrated, most Elmer Bernstein's output especially for comedies like Airplane and the dreadful Ghostbusters, any post 1995 Horner scores and some prior ones as well, Back to the Future series, Goonies and John Barry's Bond scores.

Must have something to do with this beastly scandinavian climate...

Sorry, those 2 sentences read as more connected than I meant. Didn't mean anything specifically towards Raiders, which I just find a bit hard to appreciate.

For the record, the highlights for me are Flight from Peru, Basket Game, Map Room and Miracle of the Ark. The rest is so-so for me. When Raiders leaked all those months ago, I wasn't really very excited.

I also find Goldsmith, Desplat and Beltrami to be overrated. I didn't like Benjamin Button, I have about two Beltrami scores, and there's so much of Goldsmith's work that I just don't like.