Next Intrada Special Collection - Monsignor?

BigMacGyver

Although the release of these scores is very good, and Intrada is to be thanked, again, from the bottom of the heart of the score-collector - frankly, I think their hint (Say 'no' to hints and speculation!) was rather misleading and inappropriate. The only composer that their hint really could have insinuated, as someone mentioned, was Williams. Anyway, it's a great release nonetheless. The build-up here has only ended anticlimactically.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only composer that their hint really could have insinuated, as someone mentioned, was Williams.

What, so Williams is the only Oscar-winning, multi-Oscar nominated, popular and well-respected composer? 8O

Plus, we new it wasn't Williams, Goldsmith or Horner a few days ago.

Yes I know all of that. I know Delerue is oscar-winning, well-respected, and so on, but really, present-day, 'Oscar-winning, multi-Oscar nominated, popular and well-respected composer'? That's just the standard phrase to describe Williams. The misunderstanding is that we thought this hint would be directed at a larger score-loving audience (the general (DVD/Soundtrack-promoting-like) terms of the hint seem to imply that) - while it was really a hint for the very small score-aficionados. Again, no offence, great release, Delerue is great, and all that.

I know he is, but Bennett is even greater. 8O

But really, I can't see why Intrada would try and trick people into thinking it was Williams, intending to disappoint them - I mean, they don't want to piss off their customers, do they?

How is it that when Varese release any Delerue stuff in their soundtrack club, they're usually sold out quickly. True Confessions being a case in point.

Well, Varese is a much more popular and well-known label, right?, and True Confessions and An Almost Perfect Affair were limited to 1,000 copies - and Varese seem to be able to sell 1,000 copies of any score.

Still, I don't think this will be around long. It's only been out just over 12 hours. 8O

• 1 year later...

I just ordered "Monsignor" from Movie Grooves - a great UK site. It wasn't cheap. Just how does it compare to other scores written around the same time? Is it a classic? Have I wasted my money? You just wonder when it has taken so long to get a proper dedicated CD release...

It's a great score, Nicholas, but with the US dollar currently very weak against the creamy olde English pound, you'd probably have been better off ordering it direct from Intrada. It worked out as £13.18 for me (and that included the postage; exchange rate is now about 2 dollars to the pound). Delivery would probably take a little longer from the US, but having said that I received mine in about a week.

:huh:

Still, worse things happen at sea. It's definitely worth getting!

Thank you for all your encouraging comments. You're all right. The CD arrived the following day and I must say I was completely taken aback by how good the music is. The Gloria is a revelation - not at all what I was expecting - it's actually quite modernistic. And the rest of the score is full of beautiful things - the opening of "Audience with the Holy Father" in particular.

The whole thing a remarkably bracing breath of fresh air - and all for an apparently dud film too...

• 1 year later...

OK, I'm thinking of getting this album, but it's quite expensive (about 30$).

Can anyone tell me whether it's worth getting it? What does it sound like? Is it one of JW's more memorable works?

Thanks!

yes,of course you have to get it

Can you tell me something about it?

A movie about a bunch of priests doesn't seem to be that interesting...

Mid 80's sounding John Williams . One epic choir piece , the Main Title is reminiscent of The Godfather and another cue is like Yoda's Death .It's also full of classic JW "travelling motifs"

It's only 20 bucks on Intrada.

Ah thanks, I'm listening to the sound clips right now...

Mid 80's sounding John Williams . One epic choir piece , the Main Title is reminiscent of The Godfather and another cue is like Yoda's Death .It's also full of classic JW "travelling motifs"

So you would recommend it? How come this score never gets discussed here? It must be nothing particularly special...

It's a great score, I love it. Any score that's not one of the big ones doesn't get discussed much here, but this was kind of a big deal when it came out last year.

It's only 20 bucks on Intrada.

So you would recommend it? How come this score never gets discussed here? It must be nothing particularly special...

It never gets discussed because it's not Harry Potter, Indiana Jones or Star Wars.

But as Steef said, it was just issued legally on CD. It did receive an LP release at the time of the film's release.

You should definitely get it. The main theme is wonderful as is the religiously charged secondary theme for the faith of the main character and the Church in general. The third major motif, traveling theme, is actually a variation or and adaptation of JWs Boston Pops tenure concert composition, the Esplanade Overture which has never been recorded in the original form so this is the closest thing to getting it (track called The Meeting in Sicily). :)

The Intrada release contains the original LP presentation which is actually a little longer than the score in the film. The liner notes are very informative and I am glad they are so that I do not have to see this film which seems to be pretty awful :P

The score is thematic, melodic and exciting classic JW score from the 1980's. Every track offers something new and wonderful. For a near 40 minute album presentation it is perfect.

I recommend it whole heartedly.

If you have listened to the clips you surely have formed an opinion by yourself?

You should definitely get it. The main theme is wonderful as is the religiously charged secondary theme for the faith of the main character and the Church in general. The third major motif, traveling theme, is actually a variation or and adaptation of JWs Boston Pops tenure concert composition, the Esplanade Overture which has never been recorded in the original form so this is the closest thing to getting it (track called The Meeting in Sicily). :)

The Intrada release contains the original LP presentation which is actually a little longer than the score in the film. The liner notes are very informative and I am glad they are so that I do not have to see this film which seems to be pretty awful :P

The score is thematic, melodic and exciting classic JW score from the 1980's. Every track offers something new and wonderful. For a near 40 minute album presentation it is perfect.

I recommend it whole heartedly.

Thank you, I just ordered this! :P

This score is one of Williams' most underrated works, and I recomend it wholeheartedly! It proved beyond doubt, that there was life after "E.T." "Gloria" is one my all-time top 5 favourite Williams tracks; monumental!

It proved beyond doubt, that there was life after "E.T."

:lol: And you needed Monsignor to prove that?

This score is one of Williams' most underrated works, and I recomend it wholeheartedly! "Gloria" is one my all-time top 5 favourite Williams tracks; monumental!

Have you also seen the movie? ;)

The movie need not be discussed.

Agreed. The mere description of the plot in the liner notes makes it very obvious.

The movie need not be discussed.

This is such a narrow-minded statement...

I will certainly see the movie, if the OS is really as good as it seems.

This is a fantastic score, and a wonderful album (I did a little resequencing, but it's a great listen either way). I wouldn't consider my Williams collection complete without it.

In my opinion, the film is unjustly maligned. It has its issues, certainly, but remains very watchable. It's worth seeing just for Leonardo Cimino as the Pope ... but if you like Christopher Reeve, you should enjoy it.

This is a fantastic score, and a wonderful album (I did a little resequencing, but it's a great listen either way). I wouldn't consider my Williams collection complete without it.

In my opinion, the film is unjustly maligned. It has its issues, certainly, but remains very watchable. It's worth seeing just for Leonardo Cimino as the Pope ... but if you like Christopher Reeve, you should enjoy it.

I would watch it perhaps to see how Gloria works in the picture.

It works gloriously.

It works gloriously.

I bet the choir shocks the old cardinals awake in their pews :) GLORIAAAAAAAA!!!!

It's good, but not satisfying enough for a daily (or even weekly) listen. The Godfather-like theme doesn't really do it for me; I'd prefer Nino Rota over this any time. Still it is interesting to hear Williams writing like Rota. Recording quality is quite mediocre I'd say, it sounds very dry throughout.

So today I got this score, and just listened through it once. My first impression is actually very good.

I have a feeling the Main Theme will grow on me (a mixture of Nino Rota's "Godfather" and Francis Lay's "Love Story," I thought!), and I found "Gloria" refreshingly different. I don't know what to think of it yet, though--have to listen to it a couple more times. Also, "At the forum" struck me as very agreeable on listening to it the first time. The piano solo is really gorgeous, somehow reminded me of the End Credits of Munich...

Reading the liner notes, I realized how busy JW must have been that year... I wished he were that busy now! :lol:

I'm really happy about my first JW acquisition so far this year! :folder:

Monsignor is a good score to a rubbish movie.

So you have seen it? I understand the movie is bad, yes... I might still want to see it some time, even if it is just to enjoy the score in the context.

"The Meeting in Sicily" is the highlight of the album.

I beg to differ... The "Gloria" is the highlight of the score.

BKL: :P Overture from Twilight Zone the Movie (Jerry Goldsmith)

The cd arrived in the mail today, and I am on my second listen... [audible sigh] I miss the 80's

• 2 weeks later...
It proved beyond doubt, that there was life after "E.T."

:blink: And you needed Monsignor to prove that?

This score is one of Williams' most underrated works, and I recomend it wholeheartedly! "Gloria" is one my all-time top 5 favourite Williams tracks; monumental!

Have you also seen the movie? :)

I'll take the second question first. Yes, I saw "Monsignor" at the cinema on it's first run in England, in 1982. To be honest, it is an unremarkable film, but it has some nice moments in it, namely, the ordination scene, which is where "Gloria" is featured. The second point is a bit more tricky. I.M.O., John Williams had to wait another 5 years before he comopsed another turely great score, and two come along at once, namely "The Witches Of Eastwick", followed by the magnificent "Empire Of The Sun".

Personally, I think that "Gloria" is better than almost anything that he did in between "E.T., and "Witches...", with the possible exception of "Approaching The Stones". I'm probably going to get some flack for all this, but it really is only one man's opinion.

And a double FLACK from me. Were we supposed to be giving out to him there?