Pixar's 'Up'

Hlao-roo

Once I get familiar with a composer they become automatic blind buys.

I don't like the idea of download only but if it's the only legal way to get the music then I'll accept it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just listened to the OST.....

Fun stuff! I liked it. Though, its a strange juxtaposition.... its almost like 3 scores in one: The jazzy tracks, the LOST-like action tracks, and the romantic tracks. They always seem to be separate, never really blending together.

My favorite cue is Up With End Credits. Gorgeous!

Oh, and the funniest Giacchino cue title of all time has to be "Kevin Break'n" ;)

I don't care for jewel cases and paper booklets. Useless junk that takes up space to me.

I agree. What I don't like about digital releases is that they're compressed.

I don't care for jewel cases and paper booklets. Useless junk that takes up space to me.

For me being able to put the shiny box with its glossy cover and - hopefully - well-prepared booklet on a shelf has always been part of the fun of buying cds. With digital release I feel like having a pirated copy, except for the awareness of being okay with the artists. It's not as enjoyable. I know I am old fashioned. The same goes for books and magazines, I like to feel the paper in hands.

On the other hand, I fully support it as an alternative to pressed cds, as long as it doesn't substitute it for good.

I agree 200% on books and magazines. I think Kindle is Satan. But books, magazines, and newspapers are different from CDs. They were designed to be flipped and read that way. It's part of the experience. Putting them on a digital scrolling screen is 3000 years of devolution back to scrolls.

A CD on the other hand is played through your computer anyway. It is a physical item that contains digital data, so might as well have it digital to begin with. As broadband pipelines widen and capacity goes up, lossless should cycle out compression in the next 4 to 5 years.

And I do have Apple TV now, and I can never go back to massive physical collections of digital data that consumed our house.

I'm a traditional man, I read and collect antiquated books, the ones that smell fantastic, that are 50+ years old. We have an entire room dedicated as a library full of books and we're always on the look out for older versions of books we have. I have a copy of the Count of Monte Cristo that's 78 years old. I wake up in the morning and I shave with a single blade double edges safety razor and a badger's bum like my grandfather did. I will take a manual car over automatic any day of the week.

But CD's and DVD's are, once again, pointless middle men.

I just saw the movie. Absolutely brilliant! Pixar switched from making comedies to making a piece of art (although it is funny too).

I seriously think this may be the best Pixar film yet.

I didn't think it was that great. Thinking back it was just merely good and entertaining. Even for a kids film it pushes the limits of believability. I can handle a floating house, but when you get

dogs flying airplanes

, you're pushing it. I really liked the "Married Life" montage, great Giacchino moment. The house first taking flight had some great lighting, but to me, as the story progressed it got worse.

I agree 200% on books and magazines. I think Kindle is Satan. But books, magazines, and newspapers are different from CDs. They were designed to be flipped and read that way. It's part of the experience. Putting them on a digital scrolling screen is 3000 years of devolution back to scrolls.

A CD on the other hand is played through your computer anyway. It is a physical item that contains digital data, so might as well have it digital to begin with. As broadband pipelines widen and capacity goes up, lossless should cycle out compression in the next 4 to 5 years.

And I do have Apple TV now, and I can never go back to massive physical collections of digital data that consumed our house.

I'm a traditional man, I read and collect antiquated books, the ones that smell fantastic, that are 50+ years old. We have an entire room dedicated as a library full of books and we're always on the look out for older versions of books we have. I have a copy of the Count of Monte Cristo that's 78 years old. I wake up in the morning and I shave with a single blade double edges safety razor and a badger's bum like my grandfather did. I will take a manual car over automatic any day of the week.

But CD's and DVD's are, once again, pointless middle men.

So books and silly magazines may take up all the space in the world but not music or film? For me, it's the other way around, but then again, I'm passionate about music and film.

Alex

I disagree with Blume. I have a decent sized library at home and I get just as much enjoyment looking at my CDs as I do my books.

I didn't think it was that great. Thinking back it was just merely good and entertaining. Even for a kids film it pushes the limits of believability. I can handle a floating house, but when you get

dogs flying airplanes

, you're pushing it. I really liked the "Married Life" montage, great Giacchino moment. The house first taking flight had some great lighting, but to me, as the story progressed it got worse.

It's a cartoon Koray.

Dogs flying airplanes

can happen in a cartoon and not have an effect on the overall quality of a film.

Actually I don't think so, I've only watched it once but I don't remember that part. A majority of the actual interview was him at his piano.

I will say the youtube comments below are laughable and ignorant.

Koray,

So you can handle a bundle of helium balloons tied to the chimney of a residential house as being strong enough to lift said house and carry it around wherever the wind may take it? Plus it survives thunderstorms, strong wind gusts, and the temperature differences between night and day, which contribute greatly to the leaking of helium from balloons over time. But you've got a problem with a

dog flying an airplane

?

It's a cartoon. Logic and common sense go right out the window.

I know that but it's just stupid. And Mythbusters actually proved you can float with a bunch of balloons. They were able to lift a small child off the ground, so really the house would only need a shit load more balloons to make it realistic.

That's only half of the point. What kind of architect builds enough strength into the chimney to vertically support the rest of the house? You might gather the number of balloons needed to provide enough lift, but the house would tear itself apart as the chimney took flight.

But the cartoon would lose all of its charm to show the house being held by a steel and nylon cradle.

Okay, whatever, that's not my point. I realize this is a kid's film, but I just thought that that particular part was ridiculous. They did get it down that dogs are stupid, and they were the funniest parts.

WOW people, get a life. Debating the realism of balloons carrying a house?

And Koray, will you not be seeing Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen? :music:

When a kid questions the plausibility of a dog flying an airplane, my engineer training kicks into gear and I punch at every incongruity I can see. And as such, being an engineer already rules out having much of a life. :music:

I'm pretty sure that if you put one of those "this is what I'm thinking now" collars on a cat's neck, the audio would not be suitable for children.

:music:

Somehow I get the feeling our cat would sound like Stewie from Family Guy, minus the homosexual attitude.

I'm basing that on the fact that even though he's been fixed he's tried to impose his will on several female dogs.

I'm pretty sure that if you put one of those "this is what I'm thinking now" collars on a cat's neck, the audio would not be suitable for children.

The funniest thing I have read in ages.

now i'm just thinking on giving Giacchino to sign a cd-r of UP at ubeda, to make a point.

But then, its not his fault diney want to go that route.

It could persuade Robert townson of not going the same route though...

hmmmmm.

Saw the movie. Loved it. It's perhaps my favorite Pixar film.

The score is great. I'm not too happy about how the score is all cut up into like minute long cues, but it's still great. My favorite Giacchino score as well.

Koray,

So you can handle a bundle of helium balloons tied to the chimney of a residential house as being strong enough to lift said house and carry it around wherever the wind may take it? Plus it survives thunderstorms, strong wind gusts, and the temperature differences between night and day, which contribute greatly to the leaking of helium from balloons over time. But you've got a problem with a

dog flying an airplane

?

It's a cartoon. Logic and common sense go right out the window.

You guys do know that

dogs are flying airplanes

in the trailer, right? So the spoiler tags probably aren't needed. :P

Good movie. Got a little off after the house took to the sky, but still it had a lot of heart. Better than Ratatouille, still not as good as Toy Story. I'm starting to wonder if there'll ever be one from Pixar that can be that good.

I disagree with Blume. I have a decent sized library at home and I get just as much enjoyment looking at my CDs as I do my books.

I agree, I love having physical CDs, which is why I always make covers if I get something digitally.

Well since we all know cats are smarter Pixar should have used felines.

Dog Diary vs. Cat Diary

I agree. What I don't like about digital releases is that they're compressed.

This can't be emphasized enough. While I love album art, I could live with digital-only releases if they were lossless. Sadly, this is NOT.

depends what you listen on

I can't tell the difference between 192+ and losseless on relatively good gear .128 yes

WOW people, get a life. Debating the realism of balloons carrying a house?

Apparently Slate needs a life too. They spend a LOT more words than I did discussing this very thing. I forgot to take into account the weight of the balloons, string, and the fact the FAA would shit a brick if they saw this thing flying across town.

http://www.slate.com/id/2219775/?GT1=38001

Over-all, I thought the score was very good and really outdid the movie. The score certainly the best part of the movie.

Releasing it as only a 256 kbps download, however, is just plain terrible. I can hear the difference between FLAC and 256, and when I show people on the score for Ratatouille (a good option because it is pretty busy instrumentally and excellently recorded), they can usually hear the difference, too.

Oh well, I still really enjoy the score.

The score is quite lovely and I've been playing it quite a bit.

Saw the film yesterday, probably would have enjoyed it more had some parents decided not to bring their bratty kids to the film. I'm seriously considering looking into seeing if it's worth the time and effort to ask theatre owners if they would consider an age limit, no matter the rating, on children allowed.

Partly Cloudy had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.

The score is quite lovely and I've been playing it quite a bit.

Saw the film yesterday, probably would have enjoyed it more had some parents decided not to bring their bratty kids to the film. I'm seriously considering looking into seeing if it's worth the time and effort to ask theatre owners if they would consider an age limit, no matter the rating, on children allowed.

Partly Cloudy had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.

Do you mean they bring babies? :)

Yes, but these weren't babies.

Frankly any child below the age of 5 or 6 should not be allowed in a movie theatre.

Ah, but those kids are the ones who beg their parents to go see such movies as Up. Do you have any idea how many thousands of dollars theaters would lose by imposing such a regulation? It's just not going to happen.

I agree,they don't watch the movie anyways

hey, i did.

Yeah they are noisy and always asking questions about the movie, but preventing the target audience to watch a movie is not godd bussiness.

Making a formal petition to someone to ban childs to watch cartoon films in theaters is not going to be taken seriously.

It would be more easy to ask for adult-only passes for the child films (night pases for examples, when all childs should be in bed instead of the cinema)

I'm not talking about just cartoons.

I'm dead serious when I say that you should not be allowed to bring a child into a theatre who's under a certain age. You either get a babysitter or wait for the DVD. If you don't like it, well being a parent calls for sacrifices.

I shouldn't have to wait in until the evening to watch a film.

Just got back from seeing it, strange for a Pixar film to say the least. Speaking of children, there are only two theaters in all of Mexico City where the movie is in English, all the rest are showing it in Spanish, and surprise, surprise it was full of children that can't read subtitles and the parents of course start reading to them, and yes, the movie is playing in Spanish in the same theater.

Well, I finally saw "Up".

I really liked the film! The music seemed to fit very well, at least it didn't get in the way.

But my first impression of the music was that it wasn't as strong, melodically speaking, as I was expecting. Some of the action material was also quite formulaic.

You know, Giacchino showed some real promise for me with The Incredibles and Ratatouille, and that short Pixar film with that little girl playing the violin at the end to get her money back. But now, perhaps he is doing too much work too fast, but his melodies seem, well, far below what JW has been doing.

Anyway, I don't like criticizing things at that level too much, it is still a great accomplishment, isn't it? I am about to embark on my own scoring adventure now, I will be scoring a CG animated feature film as well (not Pixar, this one comes out of China, believe it or not, but it looks great) and we will see how my music compares to these guys at the top!

Cheers,

Alain